• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth caught doing the Hitler salute like 100 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
... 80 years ago, encouraged by her naziboo uncle King Edward VIII:

OoAqgjS.jpg

40QEsmj.jpg

xefE3a1.jpg

Queen mother on the left lol

04ep1V0.jpg

s4IQ9ay.jpg

Buckingham Palace has criticised the Sun newspaper for publishing footage of the Queen giving the Nazi salute as a child. The palace said that the paper had exploited footage that appeared to have come from the monarch’s personal archives.

The Sun ran an image from the grainy footage from the early 1930s of a young Elizabeth playing with her sister Margaret on its front page on Saturday. The two children are accompanied by their uncle Edward – then Prince of Wales – and their mother in the gardens of Balmoral. The footage shows Elizabeth, at the apparent instigation of both her uncle and her mother, raising her right arm straight in salute to the camera.

A palace spokesman said: “It is disappointing that film, shot eight decades ago and apparently from her majesty’s personal family archive, has been obtained and exploited in this manner.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ootage-of-queen-giving-nazi-salute-as-a-child

pics from the daily mail

german family confirmed

It's no real secret that their uncle Edward VIII was a massive Nazi admirer. I'm pretty sure its why the government really pushed for him to abdicate, rather than the whole Wallis Simpson thing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Guess in 1933 it was still considered funny/goofy.

Not just them. Daily Mail was Nazi propaganda back in 1933. They along with Daily Mirror supported fascists.

Lord Rothemere (owner of both papers at the time): "The minor misdeeds of individual Nazis would be submerged by the immense benefits the new regime is already bestowing upon Germany."

lx5ETUz.jpg

Rothermere_-_Hurrah_for_the_Blackshirts.jpg

Not just them. Daily Mail was Nazi propaganda back in 1933. They along with Daily Mirror supported fascists.

Lord Rothemere (owner of both papers at the time): "The minor misdeeds of individual Nazis would be submerged by the immense benefits the new regime is already bestowing upon Germany."

lx5ETUz.jpg

Rothermere_-_Hurrah_for_the_Blackshirts.jpg

Looks like an article that could be taken from the newspaper today.

Cyd0nia

Banned
The salute is believed to originate from a Roman salute, however at this time it would have already become a commonplace gesture in Italy and Germany - you have to remember though that this is pre-war and at this stage the gesture would not have carried the connotations that it does today.

It was not initially conceived as the totalitarian symbol of menacing foot soldiers that would engulf the world in war, it started out as a peaceful greeting. In Hitler's own words:

Adolf Hitler said:
I made it the salute of the Party long after the Duce had adopted it. I'd read the description of the sitting of the Diet of Worms, in the course of which Luther was greeted with the German salute. It was to show him that he was not being confronted with arms, but with peaceful intentions. In the days of Frederick the Great, people still saluted with their hats, with pompous gestures. In the Middle Ages the serfs humbly doffed their bonnets, whilst the noblemen gave the German salute. It was in the Ratskeller at Bremen, about the year 1921, that I first saw this style of salute. It must be regarded as a survival of an ancient custom, which originally signified: "See, I have no weapon in my hand!" I introduced the salute into the Party at our first meeting in Weimar. The SS at once gave it a soldierly style. It's from that moment that our opponents honored us with the epithet "dogs of Fascists".

Walshicus

I mean, why not. They weren't clayvoyant and he was an important leader. It's not like our world leaders today wouldn't meet sketchy people.

It's no secret that Edward was a Nazi. Dude was scum.

All that's changed is that these parasites have some great PR people now.

Chariot

The salute is believed to originate from a Roman salute, however at this time it would have already become a commonplace gesture in Italy and Germany - you have to remember though that this is pre-war and at this stage the gesture would not have carried the connotations that it does today.

It was not initially conceived as the totalitarian symbol of menacing foot soldiers that would engulf the world in war, it started out as a peaceful greeting. In Hitler's own words:
And somehow the Hydra Salute makes now more sense than the Hitler one.
I mean, if you want to show that you have no weapon, show both hands, even if righthanded is the norm,
It's no secret that Edward was a Nazi. Dude was scum.

All that's changed is that these parasites have some great PR people now.
I jsut meant in general. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people meeting Hitler in the early 30s.

taranatar

Well that's the Sun all over. Grabbing straws, seriously who cares.

She's a kid, it was before the war and it was a different time back time, none of this politically correct jump on the wagon back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom