• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question: I just bought a soundbar....

Siri

Banned
So when Nvidia and LG partnered to bring Gsync to the C9 displays I immediately bought the C9 55 and connected it to my RTX 2080TI - best gaming monitor I’ve ever owned. OLED and HDR are both awesome.

At first 55 inches seemed huge - but now it just feels normal. Probably one of the most exciting things I’ve purchased since getting the original 3dfx Voodo card 20 years ago.

Anyway, I’m not a big movie guy, but I bought a 4K player just to see what 4K movies look like - holy crap. I’ve now watched The Martin, The Revenant, 1917, and Ford vs Ferrari, and they were all spectacular.

The problem then became sound. I couldn’t figure out a way to connect my PC speakers (Bose Companion 5s) to my tv, so I bought a SONOS Arc and subwoofer for the tv. Both are on their way in ‘the mail’. LOL.

Now I’m wondering if there will be a way to connect the Arc to my tv AND my PC (in which case I’d get rid of the companion 5s). Anyone here have any thoughts about this? Also, I actually bought the Arc without having heard it. LOL. Anyone here own anything from SONOS?

(btw, my PC only has on-board sound. No dedicated sound card. The great thing about the Companion 5s is that they drive themselves.)

Last edited:

kingbean

The sonos arc only has one HDMI input. That's very silly most soundbars come with opitcal and hdmi, but from what I can tell you're only really going to get sound from your TV.

Make sure you use the ARC hdmi port on the TV to get the intended effect.

I also have some bose companions and they should still be fine for your PC I think.

TrainedRage

Banned
Honestly I bought an Apple TV 4K because I could not be bothered to deal with all the compatibility issues.

I don’t particularly like sound bars and prefer headphones. But for room and other people they seem like a good deal.

teezzy

Banned
I'm sad nobody buys a/v receivers or separates anymore.

We're still here. Though it's more niche and enthusiast overall.

Soundbars are a convenient "good enough" solution for most average Joes who just want to circumvent crappy flatscreen tv audio standards.

Top Bottom