• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R&C kinda broke my PS5 controller already....are new gen controllers having issues?

llien

stick drift on the left analog

Man, not this Nintendo Switch shit again, Sony, don't do this to us...

confused john cena GIF

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The more complex the machine, the more points of failure can exist. This is sadly just the way any technology is. Compare to level of complexity of an NES or Atari 2600 Controller to a PS2/Gamecube controller to modern day controllers.

The quality of parts doesn't necessarily mean something will last longer. I have had no shortage of high end (300 to 400 USD+) Fightsticks die on me, meanwhile my midrange Hori RAP V has lasted since I got it with only a few buttons needing replacements.

Best thing you can do is always keep some level of replacement at the ready for when you may need to get it sent in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never had a gamepad fail ever NES --> modern systems. Not sure what you guys do to controllers, but even when I played old 360 COD games where my play log said I played it for like 10 days, the buttons and sticks always worked. The most damage is the rubber thumb sticks have a tiny bit of wear and tear. But nothing like images where guys show the whole rubber casing peeled off.

Last edited:
The more complex the machine, the more points of failure can exist. This is sadly just the way any technology is. Compare to level of complexity of an NES or Atari 2600 Controller to a PS2/Gamecube controller to modern day controllers.

The quality of parts doesn't necessarily mean something will last longer. I have had no shortage of high end (300 to 400 USD+) Fightsticks die on me, meanwhile my midrange Hori RAP V has lasted since I got it with only a few buttons needing replacements.

Best thing you can do is always keep some level of replacement at the ready for when you may need to get it sent in.
Same here, my RAP V is still going strong. Although I changed the gate, swapped in optical stick, and silent buttons on mine. BUT the old ones still work fine to this day (threw them in a DIY kit).

Saber

Gold Member
True. But DS4 was a flaming pile of shit and I certainly hope the DS5 is higher quality than that.

Went through 3 DS4 controllers for almost no reason. A friend of mine had theirs start smoking when plugged in their system.

The spring resistance on the DS5 is also new, and seems like it could easily break.

Mine was a mix bag.
My first DS4 controller was a god. I think I used for like 4, maybe 5 years and then it started to showing problems.
Then I bought a new one and after 3 days it was already broken. I contact the support and more than one week they fixed my DS4.

I think it's totally fair to call them for making cheap controllers. At least in my country, those things are expansive as heck.

Spidey Fan

Banned
my controller before it broke:
EE7pV5_U8AAyeiL.jpg

These new controllers can't take a little pizza sauce? such trash manufacturing
My 2 year old brother was chewing on my dual shock 4 controller, and even dropped on the ground. That beast is still working. On other hand, the new ps5 controller is getting broken easily.

I think companies found a way to make profit on controllers. Release easy break controller, then make money of it.

My x1s controller is strong, even when my 7 year old brother dropped to the ground. Dont know if I can say the same about the series X controller.

xrnzaaas

I think companies found a way to make profit on controllers. Release easy break controller, then make money of it.
I'm not sure if it'll work as intended if controllers will start breaking down long before the warranty expiration. And I haven't heard anything about Sony mass refusing to repair or replace faulty Dualsense controllers.

You should have seen the ridiculous amount of repair that used to go into some old weapons systems I worked on in the military. Eventually got stationed on literally the newest vessel in the fleet with a brand new weapons system, completely different to the old one I used to work on and thought, "Yeah, finally gonna be a lot easier." NOPE, same shit different story, instead of Analog problems, it just shifted to digital ones. Still a big upgrade, but didn't change the amount of time I had to spend fixing dumb shit, upside it that many problems could be fixed by swapping circuit boards as opposed to taking apart analog tape wheels and reels and fixing stupid little rollers or broken pins.

Arcadialane Arcadialane Dude, I almost threw up.

Anyway, local Sony affiliated store here obliged us to buy bundle that comes with extra controller so I won’t be out of DS to use and there’s a 1 year warranty. I did feel a bit of unease playing Wreckfest and pushing R2 really hard knowing how breakable that thing is. These controllers are expensive af, pretty sure I won’t be rage throwing or punching these things, no matter how mad I get.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I'm not sure if it'll work as intended if controllers will start breaking down long before the warranty expiration. And I haven't heard anything about Sony mass refusing to repair or replace faulty Dualsense controllers.
Apple is fighting the right to repair. No way Sony and Xbox will give up on that sweet money. First year, is a risky for them, so they do free repair. After that, is when they can make people buy more controllers from them.

You also have to remember, not everyone is gonna call them for repair. It takes time to get your controller, and send new one. So people will just buy new one. That is where they are banking on.

Nintendo sold their controllers with drift issues.

Why do that when you can make a thread about it.

Call for a replacement or make drama

...What drama? I was asking what others experience has been sending it back to Sony. If its an easy fix and Sony is going to be a pain in the ass to deal with, then I would probably just avoid it all together.

The new controllers aren't junk. You're probably just treating it like shit.

Me and apparently a lot of others in this thread as well. I suppose its too much to ask for a $70 piece of tech to work for more than 5 month of moderate use? Do ya'll work for Sony or something?

This is probably what I'll do. Buy another one (which is a total crock of shit for the reasons listed above) and try to file a claim with Sony for a replacement.

The Shepard

I turn off the haptic feedback on the triggers, the novelty wore off quite quickly. The rumbles great though and I like the premium feel of the controller compared to the dualshocks. No problems thus far 🤞

Codes 208

I still have my day one Xbox S/X white controller and I use it almost daily on pc and I have yet to run into any issues, it’s just a glorified Xbox one controller but frankly that’s a good thing.

the dual sense I’ve replaced once already because the r2 started acting up after I spent so much time trying to platinum astrobot of all things.
I think haptics should be played in moderation because so far it seems to really drain the longevity out of the controller.

I turn off the haptic feedback on the triggers, the novelty wore off quite quickly. The rumbles great though and I like the premium feel of the controller compared to the dualshocks. No problems thus far 🤞

I really like the haptic feedback. Its really great for games like R&C but if this is what I should expect from using it, then I will just turn them off. I dont mind the battery usage as I never play for more than a couple of hours tops.

I havent experienced the drift problem people are talking about but I've watched a video on what it is and why its inevitable due to it being a shitty design. Ive had my PS5 for 5 months and there are weeks that go by where it never gets turned on. Having controllers break in such a short time frame with moderate use is just really disheartening

Tahts why you dont use haptic gimmicks and w/e. They will always break your controller or at the very least reduce its lifespan by a lot. I still have my og ps4 controller for jesus years and it's in perfect conditions and I've used it on my pc as well. Never used vibrations. I can't even imagine having triggers locked would do to some plastic shit.

The R2 button got loose (the spring broke) after playing Borderlands 3 with it, only had my PS5 for 2 months or something like that. I ordered new springs from eBay, 10 pieces for 4€ or something and did the replacing myself. Was super easy and didn't take 10 minutes.

I just can't believe how users in here are defending Sony like this, lol.
I only play on PS systems and yes, Sony quality on the DS4 was abysmal. I went through 4 controllers. Hopefully this won't happen with the DualSense.
I turned off the adaptive triggers just to be sure.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ve broken the triggers on several regular controllers so I just turn this kind of stuff off. It was fun to goof with but gets fatiguing after long play sessions. Also not so great in MP games.

Can always dump a bad controller on to game spot or some shit and get credit for a new one. Usually what I did with busted stuff, they don’t care.

Croga

I don't get why people get so defensive with this stuff. "My beloved Sony Controller could never break!"

I have the same PS1 controller since I bought the console at launch, it never broke, never had an issue with it.
I went through quite a few 360 controllers due to stick drift, but I have the same Xbox One controller I use with my PC and never had a problem with it.

Responses like "it must be your fault" or "you must be using the controller like shit" are not really changing the fact that ANY product, regardless of who makes it, can experience faults from time to time.
Nothing is perfectly engineered and produced at a 100% success rate . Components will break or wear out, there could be imperfections in the controller you just happened to get, shit happens.

In the case of the DualSense, a simple thing like a tiny spring under the trigger that can easily slip out of it's housing will impact the controllers adaptive triggers. If you were unlucky enough to get a faulty spring, it might snap in the controller, same end result.

It can be fixed easily with a replacement spring.
It can be replaced by the vendor.

Sure it's shit when it happens, but it's not the end of the world. And just because your controller is fine, doesn't mean there aren't people out there that were unlucky to get a dodgy one that's didn't last as long as it should.

My R2 button broke after playing RE Village. I don't play often and it was the first time ever, in my 30+ gaming life, that a controller broke on me. It seems to me that the adaptive triggers can't stand the extra force from the user and the mechanism itself and it will probably be a huge problem when there're more games using it.

RE Village was the only game I played so far that used the adaptive triggers. And it was a short game. I imagine how problematic this could be if a game like Gran Turismo 7 put force feedback on braking and acceleration with those buttons.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Could they made the controller better? Yes, would be a good price for us consumers,no!
It has warranty, they will give you another one. That still doesn’t take their the fault for making a controller, knowing it is something that is used to play games therefore more prone to tear.

at least they aren’t Apple charging you 1400 euros for an iMac that the monitor is skewed!

It can be fixed easily with a replacement spring.
It can be replaced by the vendor.
A few month ago I decided to dig out the Wii U, at some point over the last 4 years or so and in the process of buying a house I must have cracked the screen of the tablet controller when moving. Decided I'll just buy a replacement screen and fix it myself. Took it all apart, swapped the screens, put it all back together screwed everything in place..Pulled the trigger after booting it up and realized I didn't reinstall the spring in the triggers when putting it back together...

So annoyed with myself and feeling a bit of embarrassment when the wife comes into the office to see me taking it apart again, " I thought you fixed it?"

Kevin Hart Reaction GIF

Last edited:
it's a completely new design and has only been widely tested for about 7 months. so yeah it's likely that issues are gonna appear. sony can test it all they want before release but it's completely unrealistic that they can make it perfect. you need to have thousands and even millions of people using them for long periods of time to really see how durable they are.

the dualsense will no doubt get some revisions as Sony gets feedback. you're beta testing right now. that's just something you gotta accept when you buy new hardware. that's why i'm waiting for the inevitable PS5 Slim/Pro. the console and controller will be updated with better design quality.

MrS

Banned
I've had 3 controllers now. Just buy some replacement springs off Amazon and fit them yourself. 10 minute job. Sucks it has to be this way though. Fuck Sony for being cheap cunts.

The new controllers aren't junk. You're probably just treating it like shit.
Don't be a moron. Tens of thousands of people all have the same issue. Dualsense is overrated trash and that's a fact.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't you think that your case is just some bad luck?!

Of course better materials and manufacturing process prolong the life of a product.

If instead of using a little piece of plastic to block the triggers and gave you the resistance effect they use a piece of metal, the thing already cpbecome multiple times more resistant just by changing the material.

The rubber in the ds4 stick was shit and he peeled off while my x360 sticks are still flawless, same for the mini usb in the ds4 compared to literally any other controller i ever bought.

Shitty materials and build quality are what it matters most for the life of an object, unfortunate cases can happen to everyone...

Croga

A few month ago I decided to dig out the Wii U

Small world! After the recent disappointment of not seeing a Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster at the Nintendo conference, I decided to dig out my Wii U for a long awaited 2nd run (was hoping for to do it upgraded on Switch, but what can you do)

All set up, ready to go, load up the game....The gamepad has developed stick drift in the left stick since I last used it, and it was previously perfect.

The thoughts of having to take that behemoth of a pad apart to fix, no thanks.

The gamepad is now the map screen only, I will use the Pro Controller to play instead.

Could they made the controller better? Yes, would be a good price for us consumers,no!

This is horseshit. This thing is $70. Also how much money are you even saving if you have to replace/fix the thing every 4 months? They will give me a new controller now, but like others have said, the next one that comes is only under a 3 month warranty.

RGB'D

Stick drift x2 with PS5... nothing with Xbox series x controller. Honestly I've only ever had problems with PS and Nintendo controllers. Joycon stick drift x3, dual sense stick drift x 2, ps4 battery capacity problems x2 and plastic off joystick x1. Wild that I have never had a problem with a Xbox controller and it gets more time than the other consoles

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
ahhh, I remember those like you that refused to believe there was an issue with PS4 controllers and peeling thumbsticks until Sony admitted it and changed the design.
I only admit to not treating controllers like shit and them not breaking!

Wow!
I've had 3 controllers now. Just buy some replacement springs off Amazon and fit them yourself. 10 minute job. Sucks it has to be this way though. Fuck Sony for being cheap cunts.

Don't be a moron. Tens of thousands of people all have the same issue. Dualsense is overrated trash and that's a fact.

This post is overrated trash and that's a fact.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: MrS

Banned
the force feedback uses a really flimsy looking plastic screw, so I saw this coming.

I'm already kinda scared using my Dualsense on PC (can't find a PS5) when I play GC games using the force feedback triggers as the GC trigger buttons

Zeroing

Banned
This is horseshit. This thing is $70. Also how much money are you even saving if you have to replace/fix the thing every 4 months? They will give me a new controller now, but like others have said, the next one that comes is only under a 3 month warranty.
Just saying they have to make a profit and it’s easier ( and cost effective ) to replace it than to build it better, cost more then they would need add more money to profit…

capitalism sucks.

Kuranghi

My favourite feature of the Dualsense is when the haptics vibrate in juuuust the right way and I get a tingle in my dingle. So much better dingle tingles than the old Dualshock gave me.

Shane89

i have to admit that playing R&C (which is gorgeous) made me think about how much that amazing controller willl last, especially when shooting with some weapons.

But i just platinumed it and controller is still working fine lol, and even if it fail, fuck it, there is the warrany for a goddamn reason

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I only admit to not treating controllers like shit and them not breaking!

Wow!

This post is overrated trash and that's a fact.
I've never had a broken a controller until the duel sense. Always looked after my pads, thing just snapped and I've been crazy careful with it.

Small world! After the recent disappointment of not seeing a Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster at the Nintendo conference, I decided to dig out my Wii U for a long awaited 2nd run (was hoping for to do it upgraded on Switch, but what can you do)

All set up, ready to go, load up the game....The gamepad has developed stick drift in the left stick since I last used it, and it was previously perfect.

The thoughts of having to take that behemoth of a pad apart to fix, no thanks.

The gamepad is now the map screen only, I will use the Pro Controller to play instead.
I can tell you, other than the annoying amount of screws to take off and unplugging 2 ribbon cables, the sticks are probably the easiest thing to replace on that controller if one was so inclined. The screen on the other hand, it's the absolute last thing you'll have access to when taking it apart.

There's multiple sites and forums with people having PS5 controller issues from drift to stuck or loose triggers. There are also hardware glitches, rest mode and external storage still cause problems too.

I've heard some rare problems for XSX but PS5 seems to have more issues. I don't think it's too widespread but it's something to keep an eye on for those waiting to purchase one later.

ethomaz

Banned
Nah, that is how new devices are. His controller wasn't made in the correct way.

Usually, when items are in high demand, the are some issues doing it in the correct way.

Its why some Xbox/Ps5 consoles are bad. They haven't been tested in time.

Then you have to factor, the factories which make those devices. Not every factories does the same. Some factories just slack of their rules to meet the demand.

Yours was in good shape, but not his. And controllers need extensive time of testing to make sure its working. Well, controllers are high demand, so that is impossible.
I understand that but that doesn't change the fact he broke the controller and not the game.
Now why he broke the console so easily? Well I can only guess it was because the controller was of sub par quality from the others... after all a % of assembled devices are faulty but that is why Warranty exists after all.

Even if his controller was in a bad shape how ended breaking it was himselft not the game.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
I understand that but that doesn't change the fact he broke the controller and not the game.
Now why he broke the console so easily? Well I can only guess it was because the controller was of sub par quality from the others... after all a % of assembled devices are faulty but that is why Warranty exists after all.

Even if his controller was in a bad shape how ended breaking it was himselft not the game.
He popped his cherry while playing ratchet and clank. maybe that is why it broke.

Top Bottom