• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R&C kinda broke my PS5 controller already....are new gen controllers having issues?

Banned
Man, not this Nintendo Switch shit again, Sony, don't do this to us...

confused john cena GIF

I mean... I have 3 PS4 pads now that have stick drift ranging from slight drift to unplayable

as long as none of the console makers switch to using Hall effect sensors for the stick, like the Dreamcast did (the Xbox at least uses them in the triggers), this will remain an issue. by going with hall sensors at least one of the failure points would be eliminated. there would still be the issue that over time, the springs/mechanism that keeps the stick centered will wear out, but at least the issue with the easily damageable contacts/conductive materials that measure the movement will be gone

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He popped his cherry while playing ratchet and clank. maybe that is why it broke.
My Vita has a stick that doesn't work anymore but I never put the issue on the device or the game that I played.
I noted that if I keep using it I can make it move a bit... so I reached the conclusion that because I took a year or so without play it become unusable.
It is out of warranty of course and the best option is to replace that stick.

You can try to say it was because my Vita's stick was of low quality but I believe it was my own fault to have broke it... frequently now I turn it off to the same not happen with the other stick (well even the broken stick started to shows some movimentes and today I can even play some games with it).

I really believe what happened with him is not related with the game.
BTW it is a bit over 6 months in the generation the warranty is in full place yet... unless he brought from scalpers lol

PS. I had only 2 DS4 and 3 DS3... so in fact only one DS3 broke with me because I always buy 2 controllers with the console and keep using both the whole generation and I did not blamed the DS3, PS3 or the game I was playing on it.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
My Vita has a stick that doesn't work anymore but I never put the issue on the device or the game that I played.
I noted that if I keep using it I can make it move a bit... so I reached the conclusion that because I took a year or so without play it become unusable.
It is out of warranty of course and the best option is to replace that stick.

You can try to say it was because my Vita's stick was of low quality but I believe it was my own fault to have broke it... frequently now I turn it off to the same not happen with the other stick (well even the broken stick started to shows some movimentes and today I can even play some games with it).

I really believe what happened with him is not related with the game.
BTW it is a bit over 6 months in the generation the warranty is in full place yet... unless he brought from scalpers lol
I suspect his grip is too big. My hands are big, so dual shock 4 grips are small on my hands, unlike my x1s controller, which is somewhat little bit fit. With hands like that, its easy to go overboard, and break it, if you keep pressing it overtime.

I make sometime for my consoles, and keep my time to 2 hour playtime, so i don't face those issues. But if someone plays it for 4-5 hour a day, yeah, that might be the issue.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've honestly expected more issues with the dual sense triggers. You're pushing against a motor, and motors only like to turn one way.

Banned

stick drift is literally a mechanical problem that is very much an issue with the way analog sticks are made. the material that measures how you move your stick will wear down, nothing you can do to prevent that. and if you're lucky only unimportant bits will flake off, but if you're unlucky important parts will wear down and flake off, in which case your controller will drift. this can literally happen within 2 weeks if you are super unlucky or even worse can be an issue during production.

so it is 100% a fault of the manufacturer if your stick drifts, or your trigger stops working and you simply used it as normal.

kaiju

Been seeing a lot more reports of PS5 controller issues since the controller update patch last week. Mine started acting wonky while playing ESO Blackwood last night and now it won't even respond to any games. Ugh.

Lots of similar issues being reported on other games, like R&C.

Last edited:
Top Bottom