• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare to announce new game at E3

Kinect jokes aren't even very creative.

Perhaps if you made a MOBA/F2P/Online monstrosity joke, you'd potentially have a chance at coming up with something new and possibly not something out of the realms of being legit.

If they were working on Banjo, I feel like Steve Mayles wouldn't have left in September of 2014 to make a new IP based off Banjo...
Ugh, please be Banjo.
That's an excellent point. I mean, it's still possible for any number of reasons that that's exactly how it went down. But it does also bring in the possibility that this project is either not a Banjo-Kazooie game, or a very different style of one (though perhaps not as radical a departure as Nuts 'N' Bolts).

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see a proper sequel for the games at long last. Though perhaps at this stage it would be better for Rare to strike out again with a strong new IP.

I would borrow a friends X1 over a Viva Pinata title.

Haven't been impressed with anything else Rare has done since Perfect Dark, so yeh ... different company these days. different people on board

I would borrow a friends X1 over a Viva Pinata title.

Haven't been impressed with anything else Rare has done since Perfect Dark, so yeh ... different company these days. different people on board

you didn't like Kameo? D-:

but yeah i think most of the rare games for xbox 360 were pretty fun so i got faith in them, the title is probably going to be great.

jesu

When did Phil Spencer wear the Battletoads t-shirt?
Was that before or after he mentioned Rare pitching a new game to him?

Might be Battletoads then.

I think someone else is making a smaller downloadable game though.

Rare appear to be using both Unity and Unreal Engine 4, so it makes sense that whatever their AAA game is, there is at least one smaller Unity developed game with it too.

It's gonna be Rare allstars....

Both banjo games, perfect dark, and battle toads in one package all remade from the ground up with a brand new next Gen engine.

jesu

Rare appear to be using both Unity and Unreal Engine 4, so it makes sense that whatever their AAA game is, there is at least one smaller Unity developed game with it too.

Well there's that.

Banjo 3 or a new triple A IP for the main team, can't wait to find out.

iMax

Maybe they've taken over Black Tusk's old project (Shangheist?) and made it into a fully-fledged Perfect Dark sequel? That was running in Unreal 4, after all...

Durock

What could be more fun than anything they've ever done? That's such strong words coming from Gregg Mayles who was the lead on some of the most fun games they've ever.

One thing I was thinking about was something along the lines of Battletoads. Maybe a 2.5D side scrolling beat me' up game that features not only the Battletoads, but different characters from various Rare IP facing off against various old and new enemies.

Banjo and Kazooie, Cooper, Kameo, Mr. Pants, Conker etc. They level up and you can earn points used to unlock new skills and abilities. Example: Level 5 with B-K and you can unlock the Rat-a-tat-rap.

As for enemies... New ones and all kinds of familiar foes too such as the dung beetles in Conker, Gruntlings in Banjo and big time boss battles with Gruntilda, the Dark Queen, Panther King etc.

That may sound really far fetched, but it would hard to deny how awesomely fun it would be. Plus, they'd be doing some new that simultaneosly draws in new fans and old fans alike.

That's what I came up with lol

Maybe they've taken over Black Tusk's old project (Shangheist?) and made it into a fully-fledged Perfect Dark sequel? That was running in Unreal 4, after all...

They said no PD so I very much doubt it. I doubt they will take over someone else project either, im sure they will want to come up with their own stuff.

Linkified

They said no PD so I very much doubt it. I doubt they will take over someone else project either, im sure they will want to come up with their own stuff.

Indeed similarly because its Rare 30th Anniversary this year, I could totally see them giving a 30minute section at E3 to announce Killer Instinct Season 3(external), Battletoads(external), Banjo Kazooie + Tooie : Collectathon Collection(internal) and Greg Mayles project coming 2016.

I think it's gonna be Battletoads.

I think Battletoads is a given but am expecting more.

I see Rare developing a rerelease of the NES game for XBLA and someone else co developing a new HD downloadable toads game down the road.

And then Rare is actually making a big game. Would love a new IP but I can see Banjo 3 being a thing just because announcing the numbered sequel to a 20 year old thing is a great way to get positive buzz at a E3

Did they?

Ken Lobb said it in January on The Inner Circle podcast

Also, Phil said no Conker, so we can rule those two out.

Banjo-Kazooie, Kameo, Viva Piñata, Battletoads are probably the only ones not ruled out at this point and Battletoads is heavily being hinted at.

So im thinking: Battletoads = Unity, Banjo or new IP = AAA, otherwise, no idea. I can't see them making another Kameo or Viva Piñata tbh.

Lijik

Yeah, but who wanted Wizards & Warriors on the N64?

Rare has had their most critical and commercial success on the SNES and N64, so it's natural that people want those franchises to come back.
Okay but that doesnt disregard my point. What you want the company to do doesnt seem to jive with what the company has ever done despite acting like this is a new direction. The closest theyve ever done that was during the xbox/360 eras and even then the big new ideas were mostly the console games (give or take a conker remake) and returning ip were relegated to handhelds (give or take a mr pants).

Edit- although i guess if you look at how they are now theyre still kind of in that mindset except its the new stuff is inhouse and returning ips are out of house (ki,conker and potentially battletoads)
Idk

Linkified

Also, Phil said no Conker, so we can rule those two out.

Banjo-Kazooie, Kameo, Viva Piñata, Battletoads are probably the only ones not ruled out at this point and Battletoads is heavily being hinted at.

So im thinking: Battletoads = Unity, Banjo or new IP = AAA, otherwise, no idea. I can't see them making another Kameo or Viva Piñata tbh.

I could totally see Microsoft doing a T2L Viva Pinata game.

It would be funny if it was Battletoads since it would bomb really hard as it barely has a fanbase. But they can't be that stupid right?

Battletoads is coming, but you can be sure it's not the big AAA IP they're talking about. Battletoads is either a smaller effort from a smaller team inside Rare, or it's outsourced like KI. Since Rare has been downsized to less then 150 people, perhaps just 100+ now, I'd say it's more likely that Battletoads is outsourced. Although, you never know.

Woodroffe's tweet saying that "Rare is about doing new things" suggests it's a new IP, and not an established one. I was hoping to see Rare prove to the world that they can make a new Banjo game, but I think it's more and more unlikely that that is what they're working on. From the hinting of it being a new IP to Playtonic's own Banjo "successor", it would be risky to have two equal games. I assume Rare knew what Playtonic was working on a long time ago, since it is true for vice versa. I don't think they went "You guys are doing a Banjo spiritual successor, so we're doing a regular new Banjo". Imagine if Yooka-Laylee ended up being better recieved!

No, I think they're making a new "uniquely Rare IP" to show the world that they're still able to make good games. Only THEN will they greenlight Banjo-Threeie, since the backlash of a new B&K could be detrimental. A new IP from Rare makes a bunch of sense. Even if some hopeful fans get disappointed, they might still get a new Rare adventure game, and if it's great, I think those fans will be happy in the end.

RK128

I think what we might be getting from Rare is the following, considering like another poster said, their 30th anniversary is this year :).

-Battletoads by either Yach Club Games or WayFoward, with Rare overseeing the project
-Banjo Remake for X1 coming this fall; combines the original two games, has the same core mechanics, but does some new things (new power-ups and moves with the X1 extra buttons, ect).
-Killer Instinct Season 3 by Iron Galaxy announced
-Their big new project announced for fall 2016; new IP that is completely unique and different from their past works (while also taking core Rare fundamentals; great visuals that push the hardware, a great feeling of adventure, fun gameplay, and a strong sense of humor).

I think what we might be getting from Rare is the following, considering like another poster said, their 30th anniversary is this year :).

-Battletoads by either Yach Club Games or WayFoward, with Rare overseeing the project
-Banjo Remake for X1 coming this fall; combines the original two games, has the same core mechanics, but does some new things (new power-ups and moves with the X1 extra buttons, ect).
-Killer Instinct Season 3 by Iron Galaxy announced
-Their big new project announced for fall 2016; new IP that is completely unique and different from their past works (while also taking core Rare fundamentals; great visuals that push the hardware, a great feeling of adventure, fun gameplay, and a strong sense of humor).

Whilst what you've said it feasible and I don't want to sound nitpicky I highly doubt Rare's next game is a holiday title. If you look at how MS have moved QB out of holiday and will avoid it for the future for non-AAA blockbuster franchises, I think it will either be spring/summer next year, or early 2017. Spring 2016 seems a bit early (but is 2 years after KSR...) so Summer 2016 is my guess.

Rare to their credit once they started getting the releases rolling are an efficient studio so I think thats fair enough along with smaller titles along the way too

I could totally see Microsoft doing a T2L Viva Pinata game.

T2L? Did you mean F2P? Unless I'm missing a new phrase :p Cant keep up with the kids these days...

prmtyme

Neo Member
If they show one of the old ips and what i see is good im buying a xbox one even though i planned to this BF

Toys 2 Life (Skylanders Style)

Ah yes. Well given Microsoft don't really have any franchises that suit that sort of thing... i'd be surprised if they went there. They tried hard with Viva Piñata but it didn't come off, a lot of their other characters are too old to be that relevant or too mature focused...

RK128

Whilst what you've said it feasible and I don't want to sound nitpicky I highly doubt Rare's next game is a holiday title. If you look at how MS have moved QB out of holiday and will avoid it for the future for non-AAA blockbuster franchises, I think it will either be spring/summer next year, or early 2017. Spring 2016 seems a bit early (but is 2 years after KSR...) so Summer 2016 is my guess.

Rare to their credit once they started getting the releases rolling are an efficient studio so I think thats fair enough along with smaller titles along the way too

Okay, so I guess a possible Banjo Remake (a fusion of Kazooie and Tooie) would come in summer 2016, Battletoads coming late summer/fall 2015, KI: Season 3 coming across E3 too early 2016 and their next big project coming in fall 2016/spring 2017 then :).

Maxrunner

Who would buy a banjo game on the xbone? That IP is a miscast for the gears/halo audience and they already tried with the last banjo game. Its either battletoads or new IP.

Linkified

Ah yes. Well given Microsoft don't really have any franchises that suit that sort of thing... i'd be surprised if they went there. They tried hard with Viva Piñata but it didn't come off, a lot of their other characters are too old to be that relevant or too mature focused...

Viva Pinata is a perfect game for a T2L or another game with even more pinatas involved.

Put it this way if the next Rare game is not Banjo Kazooie + Tooie Remake, Banjo Threeie, Viva Pinata, Conker Bad Fur Day Remake (not the dreadful Xbox remake), Conkers Another Bad Day, a game involving Sabre Wulf ... they have done messed up.

Okay, so I guess a possible Banjo Remake (a fusion of Kazooie and Tooie) would come in summer 2016, Battletoads coming late summer/fall 2015, KI: Season 3 coming across E3 too early 2016 and their next big project coming in fall 2016/spring 2017 then :).

Viva Pinata is a perfect game for a T2L or another game with even more pinatas involved.

Put it this way if the next Rare game is not Banjo Kazooie + Tooie Remake, Banjo Threeie, Viva Pinata, Conker Bad Fur Day Remake (not the dreadful Xbox remake), Conkers Another Bad Day, a game involving Sabre Wulf ... they have done messed up.

I suspect we will be playing a new Rare game this year or maybe some sort of anniversary thing, but I think their AAA game is a new IP tbh. Spending time on remakes seem like a big waste of time and money unless they're smaller projects. They'll focus on making a big new thing and port over BK/BT from XBLA if they're that desperate to get the games on XB1.

I could see a VP T2L thing working but really I doubt Microsoft could execute it properly to do it, they'd probably feel better doing a cross-platform F2P thing between Xbox consoles, PC and mobile

Who would buy a banjo game on the xbone? That IP is a miscast for the gears/halo audience and they already tried with the last banjo game. Its either battletoads or new IP.

I think the question is valid if you're looking at a AAA game which is why a new IP seems like the most likely option but I think if Rare made Banjo in Unity (something I've suggested before and was laughed at for saying... >.<) or at least, had a smaller scope of project then a AAA title then it would still have the chance of being very successful for what it is.

Rare's problem was that they didn't feel BK was suitable as a regular 3D platformer for the Xbox 360 market so decided to add some bells and whistles
(and nuts and bolts)
to it in order to appeal and not only did they turn off the fans they also didn't make something many others want to play either.

Imagine Yooka-Laylee and Banjo bundled together lol - that would be pretty cool. I know it'll never happen though.

I should say i like the fact that Microsoft has a plethora of options to chose from

Linkified

I suspect we will be playing a new Rare game this year or maybe some sort of anniversary thing, but I think their AAA game is a new IP tbh. Spending time on remakes seem like a big waste of time and money unless they're smaller projects. They'll focus on making a big new thing and port over BK/BT from XBLA if they're that desperate to get the games on XB1.

God I hope your wrong, Rare needs to prove it can deliver its classics updated for today's audience. Also as it is the 30th Anniversary of Rare a nice heartfelt project to show its fans they know they still have the chops, redo the asserts for BK + BT and reuse them in a Banjo-Threeie.

New IP doesn't make much sense as they haven't used Rare's Library of IP.

Top Bottom