• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit: The gutting of Destiny's story

Z3M0G

So the original story was even more shit, they fired the writer, and did their best to save it before release, with time to only trim the fat and no time for major rewrite.

The story so far with alleged Bungie insider 404Architect.

ituZBwCuHm7Nm.png

ib0u6W6tvPojDV.png

i4A4t5BUFdSPX.png

ibd8di54TRzwxc.png

ipnA3TaS0kis0.png

ibly8UZyG5MntO.png

ib0KmIMcTrOQ5Q.png

iO8gYCLdKPrc9.png

ibiI9Wk8dC3ZuG.png

ibh02zVxp6Zgnb.png

i29Ic0uE7wfW6.png

ibvAD5C9Vi7Q6q.png

iblZgBQeO0w68T.png

iQElxxNWUWLM1.png

iHvVnHzWrfw1Z.png

Holy shit!

HowZatOZ

Banned
So the original story was even more shit, they fired the writer, and did their best to save it before release, with time to only trim the fat and no time for major rewrite.

Don't think you can get any worse than what Destiny currently is

Scrawnton

I took from that that the original story had tons of production and was too in depth and too fantastical for the basic cod crowd they were going for. They decided to go more casual and the writer got pissed and left. They then scrapped the story and pieced together what they could.

RE_Player

If what is coming out is true Bungie should not be proud of what they put out. To spend so much time and effort and put out what they did is beyond disappointing considering their pedigree.

Maybe they should have stuck to the traditional single player and multiplayer split, lower production cost and create a more focused narrative and universe.

NoPiece

After reading it all, it sounded like Activision only prioritized that the game come out on time.

This has to have come from within bungie. They have the most to lose since Activision has so many ways to cut the contract early. There clearly wasn't unity in the type of game they wanted to make. A high production story shooter or a PSO mmo lite where they can easily plug in new content.

From the Bungie/Activision contract we know the original target date was Fall 2013, so Bungie got an extra year to work on it.

Didn't DeeJ just straight up come out and say this is all BS?

They also promised us a ton in the Vidocs that never came to be.

They already came out and stated that the DLC isn't for the most part already on the disks when people can glitch themselves into the locked off areas that are completely populated.

They want actual feedback. The entire time during alpha they kept asking us "what don't you like" "What do you feel is wrong" "is there something that could be done better".

Every time someone in the party would start up compliments on stuff done well, they'd steer us back to hearing what we didn't like.

Developers tend to prefer to hear what players don't like (formed constructively) than the positives, because you tend to get actual information out of what wasn't liked. "I like the trees" has little value, "Too many trees here blocks the firing lines" is useful.

clearly there wasn't enough negative feedback because there's a whole lot of "too many things blocking firing lines" on the crucible maps.

DNAbro

The story so far with alleged Bungie insider 404Architect.

ituZBwCuHm7Nm.png

ib0u6W6tvPojDV.png

i4A4t5BUFdSPX.png

ibd8di54TRzwxc.png

ipnA3TaS0kis0.png

ibly8UZyG5MntO.png

ib0KmIMcTrOQ5Q.png

iO8gYCLdKPrc9.png

ibiI9Wk8dC3ZuG.png

ibh02zVxp6Zgnb.png

i29Ic0uE7wfW6.png

ibvAD5C9Vi7Q6q.png

iblZgBQeO0w68T.png

iQElxxNWUWLM1.png

iHvVnHzWrfw1Z.png

Whether or not this is true, now I'm super interested to hear what actually went on in the studio. It's obvious that something must have happened during development and this does sound incredibly plausible.

Nesther

Man this stuff is incredibly interesting albeit somewhat depressing. Makes me really curious about what the expansions will encompass, even though I usually do not care about season pass stuff at all.

This is a really sad story for me. Destiny was my most anticipated game of all time, and while I still love it despite its flaws, it pains me to hear that we arent getting the original full vision of the game.

EDIT: The parallels people were drawing between the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star lyrics and what actually exists of a story in Destiny were fun. I wonder if that played a more significant role in the earlier builds.

Hurley

Even if that 404 person isn't legit, there's no doubt Joe leaving would of had a big impact. I wonder how it will effect them moving forward? Regardless if you think he's a bad writer, he was one of the key people over there?

This is a really sad story for me. Destiny was my most anticipated game of all time, and while I still love it despite its flaws, it pains me to hear that we arent getting the original full vision of the game.

I can see it now.

So only hardcore players will kill monster X on hard and get loot? That's not fair!! Randomize that shit and let it be a big slot machine, dude bros will love it.

Arkage

Banned
It's so depressing that this game could've had a truly fleshed out, well developed story, and it just didn't happen. And this is a company that's been in the business of making great games for 20 years, an incredibly solid track record, shit loads of money, and even they can't do it. It all falls apart and we end up with shit in the end, even if it's a slick shootbang piece of shit.

My hopes for awesome stories in AAA games dashed once more. Is there no hope?

KingV

I feel like there are several sizable grains of truth to this. So many things about Destiny just seem empty and unfinished. The story feels like a shoehorn last minute attempt to scramble some existing voice over into it. There are some serious paid voice work for characters you never see or have any explanation for (Like Nathan Filion). The world and missions just seem sad and lifeless.

Nathan Filion is in Destiny?!

I can see it now.

So only hardcore players will kill monster X on hard and get loot? That's not fair!! Randomize that shit and let it be a big slot machine, dude bros will love it.
Pandering to the dudebros can't possibly sustain a game over a period of several years. I really hope this is all bullshit, or at least all of the cut content is reintroduced via dlc.

Banned
I'm late to this but just read all of 404's posts. Damn.

RIP Bungie from 2000-2014, one of the most talented development teams in the industry.

Haines

Banned
It will be interesting to see the story in the dlc. Even if it wasn't already planned bungie made the.money and heard the criticism so u know its coming. Hope its good

Rendition

Look at Joseph Staten's LinkedIn resume for his Destiny period. It sure doesn't seem any of the story foundation/narrative he worked on for 4 years found its way into the game.

Im1wCHO.png

Jarmel

Banned
I also think we should be careful about glorifying Staten. We have no clue how bad those early cutscenes were. They probably would have been much better than what we got, but seems like from the early impressions, it wasn't exactly stellar either.

Yes, he's the Hunter Vanguard. There is lots of well known talent behind the voices in Destiny.

Holy shit, just looking over that link I had no idea the exo stranger was Maggie from the Walking Dead.

I would love to know how much of that $500 mil was burnt on the VAs.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I also think we should be careful about glorifying Staten. We have no clue how bad those early cutscenes were. They probably would have been much better than what we got, but seems like from the early impressions, it wasn't exactly stellar either.

Which really does make me wonder what the heck happened?

Maybe it's what another poster said about internal conflict on the vision of the game. If there truly was a vision to make it FPS Mass Effect MMO-like game, then I'm sad it never came to be. Making it a FPS grind with bare story seems like a waste of half a billion dollars.

Patryn

I took from that that the original story had tons of production and was too in depth and too fantastical for the basic cod crowd they were going for. They decided to go more casual and the writer got pissed and left. They then scrapped the story and pieced together what they could.

The leaks from the early play tests are not kind to the original story or the way it's told. In fact, they rip it to shreds.

Ascenion

Been watching this develop since this morning....holy shit. I'm inclined to believe the "insider" it all just seems to fit way too well.

The damage is done now though. Real or not. Even before those claims people suspected they cut out content just because of how BAD the story mode was. Every person with the slightest bit of cynicism in them probably believes they cut out content from the game to release as DLC.

The point is that now it has people talking and really wondering what happened at Bungie for them to give us... Whatever the shit Destiny is now. I just hope that... Uh... Jason guy from Kotaku finds a way to dig something up.

Top Bottom