• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redskins owner says they'll "Never change the name"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder told USA Today the team's name will not change.

"We will never change the name of the team," Snyder told the newspaper in an interview this week. "As a lifelong Redskins fan, and I think that the Redskins fans understand the great tradition and what it's all about and what it means, so we feel pretty fortunate to be just working on next season."

The team's nickname has faced a new barrage of criticism for being offensive to Native Americans. Local leaders and pundits have called for a name change. Opponents have launched a legal challenge intended to deny the team federal trademark protection. A bill introduced in Congress in March would do the same, though it appears unlikely to pass.

"We'll never change the name," Snyder told USA Today. "It's that simple. NEVER -- you can use caps."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...ys-washington-redskins-never-change-team-name

In my opinion, this is embarrassing. The name is clearly racist. Not in the hand-wringing, everyone's a victim in post-politically correct society kinda way, either. Just plain wrong.

Cyan

Banned
Thank God. I've had it with this political correctness running amok. It's about time someone stood up and said "enough is enough, racial slurs are traditional and that's good enough for me!"

Amory

Do they even accept that it is a racial slur?

No, they don't. At all. Check out the comments section of the linked article if you feel like getting upset for whatever reason.

One dude I noticed said "my dog got offended that I called him a black lab the other day" and it had like 40 likes.

People are so goddamn stupid.

Madness

Any first nations/native Americans here on GAF who want to chime in? Would love to know what you think.

Personally, I get the negative connotations of Redskins. You wouldn't have some team be called Brownskins, Blackskins, Yellowskins etc.

It's interesting though, if it'll go in the wider debate about ethnic groups being used as logos. Is the Blackhawk logo of Chicago in the NHL anymore racist than the Viking logo of Minnesota in the NFL?

I wonder what Redskins fans think about this as well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any first nations/native Americans here on GAF who want to chime in? Would love to know what you think.

Personally, I get the negative connotations of Redskins. You wouldn't have some team be called Brownskins, Blackskins, Yellowskins etc.

It's interesting though, if it'll go in the wider debate about ethnic groups being used as logos. Is the Blackhawk logo of Chicago in the NHL anymore racist than the Viking logo of Minnesota in the NFL?

The logo is not the sticking point for people.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I am a lifelong Redskins fan and I do understand where the offense is taken from, but I do also feel weird about changing the name of the team since it is so blended with my life and memories as far back as I can remember. The team would still be the same, and they certainly wouldn't be able to take my memories from me but... well, I guess if it isn't me getting it changed halfway through their career on this rock it's gonna be someone else.

I'm partial to the name, but for irrational reasons.

Clevinger

Those would just be weird because they aren't popular slurs. Keeping Redskins would be like keeping a 1930s team name of Negroes or Spics or something.

The Redskins part will probably never change. What will change is the 'Washington' part. Team will end up being called PEPSI® Redskins.

KingGondo

Banned
I have a good friend who is Native and he hates the name. It's a racial slur, pure and simple.

Snyder doesn't want to change it because it'll cost him money, at least in the short term (also, he's a huge dick). The sad thing is they have a great opportunity to reinvent the image of the team with RG3 as their QB for the foreseeable future.

Just call them the Washington Warriors and be done with it.

Amory

I never said it was, I said I wonder if the increased backlash against the name, will also tie into the backlash against certain logos.

I'd hope not. In your example, I don't really see how the Blackhawks' or Redskins' logo could be called racist. They're just native american dudes wearing feathers.

The Cleveland Indians' logo on the other hand, I feel is the opposite. They should keep their name and lose the logo.

DonMigs85

Let's start a new team, the NeoGAF Palefaces

Also:
tintinamerica11.jpg

Madness

I have a good friend who is Native and he hates the name. It's a racial slur, pure and simple.

Snyder doesn't want to change it because it'll cost him money, at least in the short term (also, he's a huge dick). The sad thing is they have a great opportunity to reinvent the image of the team with RG3 as their QB for the foreseeable future.

Just call them the Washington Warriors and be done with it.

Washington Americans. That's a good name no? It's true and they wouldn't even need to change the logo much. Those people are the original 'americans'. Lol. Warriors could work as well though.

People have voices and they can call people assholes if they want. Crying about it won't deter them.

When you own a team you can name it whatever you like. That's one of the pros of owning the team. Bob Johnson named his team the Bobcats out of ego. The Redskins owner can keep the Redskins name out of ignorance. It's the same concept. So in the end, you can freely call him an asshole and he can freely name his team whatever he wants. If you'd talk to NFL fans very few of them would cite this as a huge issue. That's exactly why he'll get away with it.

Blearth

Banned
Redskins? That's not nice, man that's a racial slur.

That's like having a team called the New York Niggers.

original.jpg

Can we please get rid of the Cleveland Indians logo too?

Remember that this is the same guy who tried to ban walking to the stadium and added a parking fee to every ticket, whether you use a space or not. Dude is a massive, massive, massive prick.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Redskins? That's not nice, man that's a racial slur.

That's like having a team called the New York Niggers.

original.jpg

Can we please get rid of the Cleveland Indians logo too?

Yeah, Redskins as a name is racist. The Indians logo is just ludicrous.

Amory

When you own a team you can name it whatever you like. That's one of the pros of owning the team. Bob Johnson named his team the Bobcats out of ego. The Redskins owner can keep the Redskins name out of ignorance. It's the same concept. So in the end, you can freely call him an asshole and he can freely name his team whatever he wants. If you'd talk to NFL fans very few of them would cite this as a huge issue. That's exactly why he'll get away with it.

Although 79 percent favor keeping the name, that does represent a 10 percent drop from the last national poll on the subject, conducted in 1992 by The Washington Post and ABC News just before the team won its most recent Super Bowl. Then, 89 percent said the name should not be changed, and 7 percent said it should.

Changing, though. Slowly but surely.

JDSN

Banned
Good for him for standing for american values and the good old days.
Not the native american values mind you, and obviously not the old days when they were the rightful owners of those lands.

sangreal

Change it to Brownskins and be done with it already.

The Cleveland Browns' name is based on the racist nickname for Joe Louis (the Brown Bomber)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom