• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redskins owner says they'll "Never change the name"

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I'm not full indian but I always though the name and logos were kinda bad in hindsight.

But I know they're not going to change so I haven't really given much care to it.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm sure you would. It's racist to respect certain tribe's skill and tenacity in combat and understand how that would translate well into the ethos of a sports team, right?

Racial slur is racist. People don't have any issue with names like the Indians and Blackhawks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Keep the name, just make it a white dude who got sunburned.

Sanjuro

...You seem to be repeating yourself a lot in this thread. We get it, you think Native Americans all survive on nothing but handouts and love these nicknames.

Actually, that was a different point. The Cleveland Indians are a Major League Baseball team, one who is fairly stingy. The comparison was to American Football teams who are making profits in another stratosphere. Why don't you read the thread?

Clevinger

Jesus christ... I wonder if the team was called the Washington Wet backs, there'd be the same defense. Some of the replies here are shameful.

If Hispanics were only 1% or 2% of the population, I'm guessing it'd get the same kind of "shrug, who gives a shit?" attitude from a lot of people.

It's a racial slur.

No amount of it being the name of a team is going to change that. It's offensive, and not just in that "Oh, it's not PC!" sort of way.

Amory

If Hispanics were only 1% or 2% of the population, I'm guessing it'd get the same kind of "shrug, who gives a shit?" attitude from a lot of people.

Exactly. It's a name that's only survived this long because native americans aren't just a minority, they're an extreme minority that doesn't have much of a voice.

Satch

Banned
Name should not change. Yea, it's a bad name. But that's been their name for decades, and that area takes pride in it. They don't see it as a negative, but a positive. Everyone outside of the area doesn't like it? Well, it's not theirs to decide.

well thats nice of them to take pride in a racial slur

It would be embarrassing if they changed the name. It's only offending white people or natives not getting their proper cut.

Bit of a joke, probably nothing to do with the Redskins. However, some of the money has a trail with the Florida teams in similar standing.

It's one of the finest logos in all of sports.

That's not the logo at all! Stop your ludicrous smear campaign.

This is Chief Wahoo.

1lXJp5D.png

Again, some of the natives are getting handouts which probably ease the pain and suffering.

American football prints money. They could have the most racist logo on the planet, and you'll find a native to cash that blank cheque.

It's really one of my favorite logos. I just hate looking at Tito wear that stupid bucket sized red BP cap.

Cyclops is racist against people born with only one eye. The nerve...

Boston Celtics logo is pretty racist. Do all white people really smoke and play basketball?

Most of your posts are either bad attempts at comedy or tragically sad.

Sanjuro

By the way, this thread made me stumble across this site:

http://www.rsdb.org/races

Some of these are absolutely hilarious in how absurd they are.

Thanks for the link, Duke Nukem.

Most of your posts are either bad attempts at comedy or tragically sad.

Well, you actively troll me in the NBA thread, so I'm not surprised by your posting. I find it humorous a bit, but it's also part of the problem and why this topic comes up frequently in the sporting circles.

Recon

Banned
Actually, that was a different point. The Cleveland Indians are a Major League Baseball team, one who is fairly stingy. The comparison was to American Football teams who are making profits in another stratosphere. Why don't you read the thread?

It would be embarrassing if they changed the name. It's only offending white people or natives not getting their proper cut.

Bit of a joke, probably nothing to do with the Redskins. However, some of the money has a trail with the Florida teams in similar standing.

Again, some of the natives are getting handouts which probably ease the pain and suffering.

American football prints money. They could have the most racist logo on the planet, and you'll find a native to cash that blank cheque.

It's really one of my favorite logos. I just hate looking at Tito wear that stupid bucket sized red BP cap.

No, I read the thread quite fine, thank you. You should re-read your posts though.

Pyrokai

The Redskins will never change. They are an old franchise, in a powerful market in the most popular sport. There will never be a protest large enough to hurt their bottom line, nor a government/commissioner that will make them change.

The Indians on the other hand will be moved one day and then they will likely change the name. Or they will have completely phased out the logo to the point where it's moot.

How do you figure the Redskins won't change an the Indians will be as well as will be moved?

Well, you actively troll me in the NBA thread, so I'm not surprised by your posting. I find it humorous a bit, but it's also part of the problem and why this topic comes up frequently in the sporting circles.

I don't think I ever trolled you in NBAgaf, The Celtic's future is bleak. And I'm not trolling you now if that's what you're getting at.

His implication that if natives were all just cut a check they'd all be more than happy to forget about the whole thing is insulting.

Keio

For a Finer World
Well few people have issues with Celtics or Vikings as mentioned. Or Fighting Irish.
Maybe because Celts, Vikings and Irish are not racial slurs?

Just switch Redskins to Reds and you let the racist fans keep mumbling Redskins and the rest can feel that tradition didn't change that much but is less cringeworthy and offensive.

The owner sounds like a total scumbag, though. In caps. And no walking to the stadium? Wow.

Edit: And googling doesn't bring up equally condemning media against Blackhawks, which is not a slur either...

Recon

Banned
Doesn't appear that you have. They have been quoted, so it's fairly easy to read, thanks.

Ah, I see the type of person I am dealing with.

I don't think I ever trolled you in NBAgaf, The Celtic's future is bleak. And I'm not trolling you now if that's what you're getting at.

His implication that if natives were all just cut a check they'd all be more than happy to forget about the whole thing is insulting.

But dont you understand, we are just not reading the thread right. It is our fault we cant see it his way.

Amory

How do you figure the Redskins won't change an the Indians will be as well as will be moved?

Redskins are, I think, the #2 most valuable franchise in the NFL behind the Cowboys. It's gonna be an uphill battle to make them change anything.

The Indians can barely draw a crowd, so far fewer people would care if they changed their name or logo. I doubt they'll ever actually relocate though.

I'm sure you would. It's racist to respect certain tribe's skill and tenacity in combat and understand how that would translate well into the ethos of a sports team, right?

If they'd named the team Washington Snoqualmie's after asking permission, you'd have a point.

They basically named the team 'Washington Wet Backs' but for Native American's.

Sanjuro

Right...

Ah, I see the type of person I am dealing with.

You're dealing with someone who responded to your post. I explained your misunderstanding, and you continue to further find another point. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. What is your exact issue now?

Pyrokai

Redskins are, I think, the #2 most valuable franchise in the NFL behind the Cowboys. It's gonna be an uphill battle to make them change anything.

The Indians can barely draw a crowd, so far fewer people would care if they changed their name or logo. I doubt they'll ever actually relocate though.

Gotcha. Wow at my horrible grammar post, haha.

Being from the Cleveland area, it's hard to imagine another name for our baseball team. Seems so cemented in the city culture. Interesting to hear the insight though.

Recon

Banned
Right...

You're dealing with someone who responded to your post. I explained your misunderstanding, and you continue to further find another point. What is your exact issue now?

What misunderstanding?That you love bringing up the notion that Native Americans all love hand outs and gleefully ignore racism directed towards them? No, I got that quite easily.

If Sanjuro would hand me out an apology, then I'd be more than happy with his assumption that all us injuns are looking the other way since our pockets are being lined up.

Sanjuro

What misunderstanding?That you love bringing up the notion that Native Americans all love hand outs and gleefully ignore racism directed towards them? No, I got that quite easily.

It's not "all" of them. Specific ones are getting handouts, while others want their cut, or are upset that some are getting a handout in the first place.

If Sanjuro would hand me out an apology, then I'd be more than happy with his assumption that all us injuns are looking the other way since our pockets are being lined up.

Do you accept coupons?

The majority of Native Americans don't give a shit, they probably have more important things to worry about. And it's obvious the name was never intended to be demeaning, it was meant to be something in the same vein as warriors. Who is gonna name their team something demeaning? Doesn't make any sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)#Current_use

Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those American Indians surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name. The results of the poll have been criticized by American Indian activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions). But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.

And honestly how many of you have ever heard the term used in demeaning or racial terms in your life? I never have, and I've lived in areas with significant populations in AZ and CA.

Compare that with the countless times I've heard the N word and other slurs for jews and mexicans, there is no comparison. Let it go. It's simply not a racial slur in modern times.

You never hear racial slurs directed at natives because there's like 4 of em. Including professor Beef.

Actually I should get a DNA test, my dad straight up has chief wahoo's nose.

It's a slur but it won't be changed anytime soon because the team makes so much money and the team owners and managers as well as the fans don't want to be told that something that they love and make money from is bad and must be changed (even if it is). Same reason people don't want to give up their guns. They don't want other people telling them what to do, even if it's the right thing.

Sure are some ignorant as fuck posts in here but that's never surprising. It's a slur that's been kept simply because there's enough assholes who think it's fine and whine about some PC brigade because god fucking forbid they show some god damn empathy to a group that's been decimated, forced to live on reservations then disrespected year after fucking year with racial epithets and mascots.

G-Fex

You never hear racial slurs directed at natives because there's like 4 of em. Including professor Beef.

Actually I should get a DNA test, my dad straight up has chief wahoo's nose.

We're well aware the native americans are far and few, no need to rub it in.

FyreWulff

Sure are some ignorant as fuck posts in here but that's never surprising. It's a slur that's been kept simply because there's enough assholes who think it's fine and whine about some PC brigade because god fucking forbid they show some god damn empathy to a group that's been decimated, forced to live on reservations then disrespected year after fucking year with racial epithets and mascots.

Some people just really don't want to have to rebuy shirts and bumper stickers it seems. "oh noes i'm being attacked" *are never a native american who has to put up with this shit*

Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those American Indians surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name. The results of the poll have been criticized by American Indian activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions). But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions

From wikipedia, pretty crazy
seems to state some Indian/American Aborginal schools use the name for there sports teams also, I guess this is a empowerment vs political correctness fight.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unfortunately the Redskins owner also takes this attitude with the conditions in his field and stadium.

His objection to changing the name is probably having to spend a few bucks to do it.

Kazerei

Banned
The majority of Native Americans don't give a shit, they probably have more important things to worry about. And it's obvious the name was never intended to be demeaning, it was meant to be something in the same vein as warriors. Who is gonna name their team something demeaning? Doesn't make any sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)#Current_use

Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those American Indians surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name. The results of the poll have been criticized by American Indian activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions). But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.

And honestly how many of you have ever heard the term used in demeaning or racial terms in your life? I never have, and I've lived in areas with significant populations in AZ and CA.

Compare that with the countless times I've heard the N word and other slurs for jews and mexicans, there is no comparison. Let it go. It's simply not a racial slur in modern times.

Did you not see the [citation needed] next to that quote? LOL

The next paragraph even goes on to criticize those studies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom