• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake of Saint Seiya (Knight of the Zodiac) serie on NETFLIX announced!

mantidor

If I remember correctly, Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon came to Latin America a few years before Dragon Ball. We joked that one was for boys and Sailor Moon for girls, but in reality everyone watched both. In Mexico they were introduced in a show called Nubeluz and then by the Carisaurio. Those shows were our first exposition to anime and the reason why my whole generation are such dweebs!

In Brazil as far as I know it was shown in the Xuxa show, and they had later episodes more quickly. Back in Colombia local channels took a lot longer to get a stuff so we conformed with Peruvian channels that were not as up to date as the Brazilian part but they were still ahead of us.

It was huge, like enormously huge, anyone between the ages of 25-35 right now lived and died by this show. I really can't say for sure which one was more popular Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya, they are neck and neck. The Saint Seiya fanbase feels more devoted though.

Instro

Staff looks good. It being CG could go either way, but SS has a history of mixed visual quality so whatever. I'll check it out.

trejo

As an old ass latin american I think I'm contractually obligated to be hyped for this. But then I remember that the voice actor for Seiya, Jesús Barrero, passed away last year and I get sad. Whoever they get to replace him is gonna have some gigantic shoes to fill.

Karsha

I hope they base it on the anime, the north saga was the second best saga after the sanctuary IMHO.
Also you can't talk canon about this series since the author doesn't care and gives the rights to expand the universe in a canonic way to anyone asking for it lol.

Los guardianes del uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuniverso, al triunfaar el maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal sin pensarlo saleeen a combatiir por un mundo ideaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!

CAAAAAAAAAAAAABALLEROS DEL ZODIAAAAAAAACOOO!

(That opening was cool and fun, but Pegasus Fantasy and Soldier Dream are GOAT openings)

So glad to read this, I've missed Saint Seiya. The Lost Canvas was fantastic. Sad it never got completed.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I still don't understand why Kurumada approved Lost Canvas as a SS prequel while at the same time he started working on Next Dimension which invalidates everything in LC.

mantidor

You know the more I think about it the more it seems to me Saint Seiya was bigger than Dragon Ball, the thing is that we are skewed because most anime fandoms in latam are male oriented, and while the girls gravitated more towards Sailor Moon and the boys towards Dragon Ball, everyone loved Saint Seiya.

Platy

In Brazil as far as I know it was shown in the Xuxa show, and they had later episodes more quickly.

What blasphemy is this ?

In Brazil saint Seiya was on TV Manchete and was soon followed by Sailor moon, Shurato and Samurai Warriors and Tokusatsus like Kamen Rider Black, Jaspion, Jiraya, Patrine, Jiban, Changeman and Flashman

mantidor

What blasphemy is this ?

In Brazil saint Seiya was on TV Manchete and was soon followed by Sailor moon, Shurato and Samurai Warriors and Tokusatsus like Lamen Rider Black, Jaspion, Jiraya, Patrine, Jiban, Changeman and Flashman

Lol

We got it in the Xuxa show, but my memory is fuzzy and I'm not entirely sure if it was in the Argentinian version of her show. I do remember I was very annoyed it was in Portuguese and I couldn't understand anything and you were already in the sanctuary arc while we were still in the black knights /Phoenix arc.

This was of course ages ago and we got this foreign channels through giant parabolic antennas because back then cable was a luxury barely anyone had.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh no, not CG shit again...
:(

Legend of the sanctuary was pretty good even tho it was CG and the only dissapointing bits came from the writing, not the animation, so i have faith knowing that CGI Saint Seiya has worked before.

As an old ass latin american I think I'm contractually obligated to be hyped for this. But then I remember that the voice actor for Seiya, Jesús Barrero, passed away last year and I get sad. Whoever they get to replace him is gonna have some gigantic shoes to fill.

Fuck, had forgotten about this :C

Toei has some really good CG staff, so as long as they put those people on this it could turn out well.

It's really hard to measure how this will be. In addition to that, you have the fact that Toei aren't being held to TV slots on a several year long project, and CG would be harder for them to outsource. So they may have to put their best people on it and keep them there till the show's done.

Edit: Being a bit idealistic here, I realise.

Los guardianes del uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuniverso, al triunfaar el maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal sin pensarlo saleeen a combatiir por un mundo ideaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!

CAAAAAAAAAAAAABALLEROS DEL ZODIAAAAAAAACOOO!

(That opening was cool and fun, but Pegasus Fantasy and Soldier Dream are GOAT openings)

So glad to read this, I've missed Saint Seiya. The Lost Canvas was fantastic. Sad it never got completed.
I'll never figure out why in Mexico we got that bastardized Spaniard opening and not the dubbed Pegasus Fantasy back in the 90s. Eventually when Cartoon Network and now Televisa reran the series they're using Pegasus and ditched the Spanish bastard. But why did we get it in the first place?

I'll never figure out why in Mexico we got that bastardized Spaniard opening and not the dubbed Pegasus Fantasy back in the 90s. Eventually when Cartoon Network and now Televisa reran the series they're using Pegasus and ditched the Spanish bastard. But why did we get it in the first place?

I think that was the French opening with a bad singer that didn't know Spanish very well, but I'm not sure.

PSqueak

Banned

Oh! i know i know!

Went to a con that had as a special guest Ricardo Silva, the singer who sings latam OP themes for many shows, he explained that originally they were going to use a completely original song that he would perform (you could hear fragments of the song in the toy commercials) but before the show started airing networks were like "holy shit, this is too violent!", the problem was the toys were already being sold in stores and kids loved them so they had to bring the show anyways and they rushed it and used the a hastily translated version of the french song by someone else.

And the rest is history!

Toei Animation.....
CG.......

giphy.gif

Oh! i know i know!

Went to a con that had as a special guest Ricardo Silva, the singer who sings latam OP themes for many shows, he explained that originally they were going to use a completely original song that he would perform (you could hear fragments of the song in the toy commercials) but before the show started airing networks were like "holy shit, this is too violent!", the problem was the toys were already being sold in stores and kids loved them so they had to bring the show anyways and they rushed it and used the a hastily translated version of the french song by someone else.

And the rest is history!
Interesting!!

But Silva was never going to do Pegasus then?

Oh! i know i know!

And the rest is history!

That spanish version was so bad that was good, I kind of like it, another baffling decision was to put scenes from the movie along with that song, as a kid I always wondered when we were going to get to the parts shown in the intro, anime ended and we never did, I was like WTF?!!!!!

Holy shit, one of the greatest anime in the 80s.

They better not rape my childhood with too much computer graphic in the new one.

Do they? Nothing recent in their shows sticks out to me, off hand. Admittedly I can't think of any Toei shows I've watched lately outside of DBS though.

The Precure movies (and Popin Q) have been where Toei's best CG work has been.

Of course, Toei isn't above collaborating with outside CG studios, such as Digital Frontier for the Captain Harlock movie, so it's not certain if they'll even produce the animation in-house.

PSqueak

Banned
And when did they dub Pegasus Fantasy for LatAm? I didn't see that version until Cartoon Network LA reran the series in the mid 00's.

Im not sure, but it might have around that time, in the 00's there was seemingly some weird stuff going with saint seiya, like 2 different dubs for the same new episodes, in a different con Mario "goku's voice" Castañeda mused about this and how he played different characters in each version of the dub and people were making video edits so he'd "talking to himself".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so in theory this would cover / remake the whole thing with
Evil Phoenix, Andromeda is a girl / wait he's a guy, they killed my momma Swan
etc right?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Ahhhh this is one of the most common question regarding Saint Seiya
To all American friends reading this thread, let it be known Saint Seiya is as big (and bigger for many) as Dragon Ball in South America and Latin-American countries, France, Spain and China.

Thanks for the explanation. Anime didn't blow up here in the US until Dragonball Z, so everything older is not that familiar to us (even the original Dragonball). This series seems to have a fun Saturday morning cartoon feel to it. I might check it out.

apotema

What are you talking about? I'm sure that's just an average day in Greece.

He strikes me as someone that literally couldn't care less.

It's pure 80s awesomeness.

LeYZuim.gif

xGtwWKg.gif

WhBAWrI.gif

(I actually haven't seen this show in decades so I have no idea if it holds up well at all :p)

Man, Shingo Araki was an amazing animator! And Seiji Yokoyama (the composer) was awesome as well

Just look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibCnKizbjc

Sorry for the language (the Mexican dub was impresively passionate!)

tkscz

Netflix did a great job with Voltron, so I don't see why so many people are skeptical. Still, Nextflix is 20 billion in debt, they need to stop with these original content for a while.

Jojo Leir

Neo Member
Rewatching this show as an adult makes it painfully apparent that Kurumada is, for the most part, a terrible writer. That's why it is surprising how well the sanctuary arc holds up. It is quintessential shonen and a must watch if you want to understand why this show is so revered decades after its original run.

MutFox

Banned
Loved it, so awesome and violent for a kids show.
Never liked the newer series compared to the original.

CG doesn't sound great...
I'll give it a chance though.

Latin countries (Spanish/French/Italian/Portuguese) are all gonna give it a chance.

Rewatching this show as an adult makes it painfully apparent that Kurumada is, for the most part, a terrible writer. That's why it is surprising how well the sanctuary arc holds up. It is quintessential shonen and a must watch if you want to understand why this show is so revered decades after its original run.

I slot him into that pantheon of people with fantastic concepts, but not the best people for handling the execution.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Interesting that the title is Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya. I guess they know their audience.

When are we getting a Saintia Sho adaptation, tho?

i9H7Yuj.jpg

Anyone seen the Saint Seiya Heaven Chapter Overture film? It was cut a bit weird but I thought it was great. Amazing art and animation and I loved that the story was very different than anything before it. Saint Seiya was finally dropping all its tired tropes and was moving forward with something fresh. Sadly the author apparently hated this film and retconned it out of existence :(

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Next Dimension is where you can tell Kurumada is lazy as fuck, is basically Hades Chapter Remix, the same fucking tropes happen, the only interesting thing is the
13th Gold Saint

Zero-ELEC

Banned
i9H7Yuj.jpg

Anyone seen the Saint Seiya Heaven Chapter Overture film? It was cut a bit weird but I thought it was great. Amazing art and animation and I loved that the story was very different than anything before it. Saint Seiya was finally dropping all its tired tropes and was moving forward with something fresh. Sadly the author apparently hated this film and retconned it out of existence :(

That film was really bad, tho. Like extremely so.

Hades arc was as good if not better than the Sanctuary arc but yeah he might have peaked there, he recycles a lot of stuff not only in the same manga but among his creations (B't X, Ring ni Kakero). I was kind of disappointed Saint Seiya: Next Dimension takes place once again in the Sanctuary.

Top Bottom