• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy/505 sign 7.75M publishing deal for new 3rd person action game for PC/PS4/XB1

Electret

”Project 7" (P7) is a cinematic third person action game

Now we're talking!

This is my favorite kind of neogaf insider post

Doc also claimed Scorpio was shooting for 8TF, and that the rest of the world doesn't matter when it comes to console sales. So, uh, yeah...you win some, you lose some. Matt's legit, though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hopefully it will be good. I wish them success.

Alan Wake was truly awesome, but I was very disappointed with Quantum Break.

I wonder what are the games from their catalog that make up the 6 before this 7th one. Is American Nightmare one?

Always glad to see more single-player stuff.

After Microsoft's talk of expanded first-party development you would have thought getting another Remedy console exclusive would be in their interest.

Not really interested in Quantum Break at all but at least it was another Xbox One console exclusive that I could pick up.

FLD

Cool but listen. I just need you to do one thing here, Remedy. Write a complete story. Don't fucking set it up as the "first season" or whatever. That shit clearly isn't working for you. I love your games but it's getting hard being a fan of yours after two DOA IPs. :/

T.O.P

Banned
You sure their games are that expensive? I dunno. Remedy is a pretty small studio and MS is notorious for cutting off investments that do not seem to pay off (see Platinum Games).

QB was defenitely expensive, the TV show alone was not low budget considering the actors

jaypah

It was rumoured (two or so months ago?) via an insider on twitter, not sure if Shinobi but I believe it was someone credible.

Yeah, it was Shinobi. I'm not even saying that I think it's untrue. I'm just saying it's become a fact for a lot of posters and in turn has become the narrative for the state of MS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Starbreeze did blame 505 Games for the pay2win microtransaction business model in Payday 2, and removed them when they bought the rights to the IP back from 505, but I can't say if that was Starbreeze just trying to shift blame or not.

hawk2025

I'll take anything to wash out that terrible Quantum Break aftertaste.

No more TV, no more actors. Just make a good game again.

A lot of people are mentioning single player but no one has raised an eyebrow at this quote.

Remedy is also investing in P7 and is deeply committed to creating an unique gaming experience that will keep the players engaged and playing for a long time to come. We are really excited to embark on this journey with 505 Games.

Episodic then...?

DocSeuss

Good sorts of interesting things, or mildly concerning interesting things?

Well, as for publicly available information, consider the fact that their biggest moneymaker, Starbreeze, spent tens of millions of dollars buying themselves out of their contract with 505, and immediately reversed changes on the unpopular microtransactions that had been added into the game.

That's proof of nothing, of course. For all I know, Starbreeze used it as a PR move to maintain the game's popularity, pretending the big bad publisher they were no longer with was responsible.

But still... who spends that much money to leave their publisher?

I don't really feel comfortable sharing the details I've heard. Just that there were some people I spoke with who either didn't want to talk about their relationship, suggested I not pitch to 505, or told me things that left me concerned.

A lot of people are mentioning single player but no one has raised an eyebrow at this quote.

Episodic then...?

Emergent gameplay.

That's what Remedy's been talking about a LOT.

Also, they're doing the single-player for Crossfire 2, and since that's the biggest video game in the world after League... maybe they've learned some lessons there too.

Now we're talking!

Doc also claimed Scorpio was shooting for 8TF, and that the rest of the world doesn't matter when it comes to console sales. So, uh, yeah...you win some, you lose some. Matt's legit, though.

He is not an insider thought...

I'd rather not be known as an insider, but I mean... I work in the industry, so you're wrong. I'll spoiler tag to avoid derailin, but feel free to read.

No, I said I thought it was dumb not to shoot for 8TF. I still think it's dumb not to shoot for 8TF. That's pure speculation, and I never, ever, ever claimed that Microsoft was shooting for 8TF. People keep repeating this and it's just as wrong now as it was then.

Most publishers I know only care about succeeding in the US. There's a weird "if it works in the American market, it works well" attitude. Given that America is the largest games market in the world, I get the logic. But now we're seeing a shift with a lot of pubs towards China, since it's rapidly becoming the second largest games market in the world. It's not my fault that a lot of pubs treat the rest of the world like an afterthought. Why do you think Gabe Newell talks about how publishers need to do better jobs localizing in Russia and stuff? A big part of the problem is that publishers don't care about non-American markets. If they localize for some European countries, you're lucky. Part of this has to do with annoying regulations, like Germany's whole "you have to put robots in your game instead of people" thing, but those rules are fading. Part of this has to do with widespread, false concerns about piracy that a lot of these publishers have. Most publishers don't care about their Brazilian and Russian sales figures. Hell, look at Australian price figures; they sure as hell don't care how poorly their games sell there.

As for this thread: I was at GDC, I talked to a bunch of friends while I was there, some of them have worked with 505. Take that as you want. *shrug*

kami_sama

Starbreeze did blame 505 Games for the pay2win microtransaction business model in Payday 2, and removed them when they bought the rights to the IP back from 505, but I can't say if that was Starbreeze just trying to shift blame or not.

Yeah, I remember the shit-storm that happened back then. Be it Starbreeze or 505, those were some bullshit changes.

But considering that this is most likely a sp game, I'm not exactly too concerned about these types of things.

hawk2025

If you don't feel comfortable sharing, don't tease and create what inevitably becomes unsubstantiated rumors for others to build on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Episodic then...?

P7 isn't actually a singleplayer game. People are just incorrectly assuming that.

Polygon said:
PROJECT 7

There’s very little Kasurinen is willing to tell me about the game. I know, because I never fail to ask when I speak with Remedy developers, that it is not Alan Wake 2. I also know that while the game is the developer’s first big push into multiplayer gaming, it isn’t what most would think of when they think multiplayer: competitive. This new game, P7, is meant to be a cooperative game in an open world that will provide players the space to create and, I suppose, tell their own stories, if only to an audience of one.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/12/28/14101058/remedy-new-game-p7

kami_sama

P7 isn't actually a singleplayer game. People are just incorrectly assuming that.

Mmmmm, didn't know that. Has Remedy developed a multiplayer game before? I know they are developing the sp part of Crossfire 2, but I don't remember any mp game.

Cool but listen. I just need you to do one thing here, Remedy. Write a complete story. Don't fucking set it up as the "first season" or whatever. That shit clearly isn't working for you. I love your games but it's getting hard being a fan of yours after two DOA IPs. :/

YES! Please, I can't take any more cliffhangers that will never be followed up.

It's 505 Games. They can't afford much more.

Also, Remedy is not exactly an in demand studio, so this is about the level of publisher they can get.

I get that, it just seems that compared to the sprawling budgets of AW and QB this seems a pretty paltry amount. They did recently hook up with some private investors though, right?

I suppose being a big Remedy fan I just hope that this new game, P7, carries the same scope and feel of their previous titles.

I'll be there day one regardless.

DocSeuss

Man, if there's one thing remedy games can't do, is sell gangbusters. And I LOVE their games, but I wish they'd had sold more that what they have.

Hopefully, they're stretching their wings here and will do good work. Their last few games have been short, linear-only experiences, which just don't sell well.

Bulby

Im expecting anything too grandiose. 7.75 million isnt a great deal of money.

I would expect something in the same vain as American Nightmare. Good news though

Matt

I get that, it just seems that compared to the sprawling budgets of AW and QB this seems a pretty paltry amount. They did recently hook up with some private investors though, right?

I suppose being a big Remedy fan I just hope that this new game, P7, carries the same scope and feel of their previous titles.

I'll be there day one regardless.
It's not going to be the same thing. They won't have the money, resources, or time they had before.

It will be something new from Remedy.

DocSeuss

Im expecting anything too grandiose. 7.75 million isnt a great deal of money.

I would expect something in the same vain as American Nightmare. Good news though

It's roughly what Starbreeze is offering to most of the people it's worked with (Raid WWII and Psychonauts 2 both have $8m deals). Starbreeze worked with 505 in the past, so I'm wondering if that's why they do that.

Rad-

The funding part isn't that weird considering Remedy has always funded a big part of their games from own funds. I doubt even their MS deals cost MS that much.

They are also enlisting on public stock exchange this year btw.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The funding part isn't that weird considering Remedy has always funded a big part of their games from own funds. I doubt even their MS deals cost MS that much.

Exactly how much money do you think they have to spend on things? That has to come from somewhere, you know.

DocSeuss

I thought it was weird how active their social media became a few months ago. They kicked off a big hiring push and started tweeting about their company history and stuff. Then there was that news about them going public, some stuff about their engine technology (maybe they're trying to license it? idfk), stuff like that. No idea what's going on over there other than it looking like they're ready to expand in a pretty big way. I guess that Crossfire 2 money is good.

Exactly how much money do you think they have to spend on things? That has to come from somewhere, you know.

Whatever their Crossfire and 505 deals are, plus whatever they made on Alan Wake PC and their iOS game (which can't be THAT much, surely?). Maybe they still make money off that 2K stock they got when they sold Max Payne?

Rad-

That what I have been wondering a long time with Remedy but they somehow were always able to fund quite a bit from own funds. Yeah, it will run out at some point but like I edited into my post they are also going public to raise capital.

Matt

I thought it was weird how active their social media became a few months ago. They kicked off a big hiring push and started tweeting about their company history and stuff. Then there was that news about them going public, some stuff about their engine technology (maybe they're trying to license it? idfk), stuff like that. No idea what's going on over there other than it looking like they're ready to expand in a pretty big way. I guess that Crossfire 2 money is good.
It's called "expand or die." And either good or bad, it's coming from a place of Remedy deciding they can't continue operating as they have in the past.

DocSeuss

It's called "expand or die." And either good or bad, it's coming from a place of Remedy deciding they can't continue operating as they have in the past.

Yeah, I get why they're doing it, I'm just sad to see old Remedy go.

Bioshocker

Even though Quantum Break was a disappointment I'm always interested in a new Remedy game. Releasing on PS4 this time is a good idea.

I am so in. I've bought every Remedy game on PC except Quantum Break (which I will also buy as soon as a good deal pops up). It's one of the best studios around.

To be honest I don't think you need a huge budget for a good Remedy action game. If they nail the gameplay then the cutscenes can be Max Payne-style for all I care.

RulkezX

Well, Remedy is already well-developed team with probably few mills in the bank. They have their engine done and expertise to quickly crank out a linear third person shooter game.

It will be fine.

Remedy don't do anything quickly.

Sesha

Release 2025.

Nice for fans of Remedy and cinematic 3PS. It seemed like Remedy was done with these types of games.

dreamfall

God damn I hope it's amazing. I love Remedy a ton, give me some noir and some great TPS shooting mechanics and I'll be set.

I hope it's set in present day , with an incredible story.

Salty Hippo

I don't know why everyone is ignoring this:

"Remedy is also investing in P7 and is deeply committed to creating an unique gaming experience that will keep the players engaged and playing for a long time to come."

This is not your typical Remedy game. Probably not even single player focused by the sound of that.

Top Bottom