• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy/505 sign 7.75M publishing deal for new 3rd person action game for PC/PS4/XB1

I seem to be missing the "bloodbath" element of any of those posts?

Also, Shinobi seems like a cool guy with connections in the industry that does not mean he would be privvy to getting info on what deals MS are doing behind the scenes. Did he know of Playground, Armature, Creative Assembly, Insomniac, Crytek, Platinum etc before they were all revealed / announced? Those would be links I would be interested in seeing.
You're barking up the wrong tree. I was just providing what Shinobi said. I also gave my thoughts on it in that link.

Actually, the cost is not something that surprises me.

Most of the cost of developing the Northlight engine was funded by Microsoft after all, with Alan Wake and Quantum Break releases.

On Alan Wake's making of they show how they were developing tools to ease artist's creation processes, so it wouldn't surprise me if the overall cost to build a world is not that expensive for Remedy.

Also, the shooting mechanics from Alan Wake to Quantum Break were really similar (besides the time powers of the latter) and I'd imagine it's the engine as well.

Since story and art is all in house, and probably prototyped/written in parallel with other projects, I'd think it could very well be an episodic single player game, a la Alan Wake but with a release like Hitman but with several seasons, where, in the end you'll end up paying way more than $60 for the full experience.

Chris1

Not even 8M? I'm guessing this is a smaller game than they usually put out then

Unless they're doing episodic and that's just episode 1? Only thing that makes sense with a budget that small

dr_rus

Kinda surprised that it's not THQ Nordic but maybe they aren't willing to fund a game without owning its brand.

GavinUK86

Love Max Payne, love Alan Wake, love Quantum Break. Remedy can do no wrong in my opinion. That Polygon article has me a bit worried though. I dont want some co-op crap in my Remedy game. Hopefully they don't stray too far from what makes them great.

prag16

Banned
So it's not Alan Wake 2, or Quantum Break 2. I'd have been interested in either one.

However regardless, they had me at "Remedy 3rd person action game". After QB it sounded like they might go in a far less interesting direction. But I'm glad studios are still making these types of games. Quantum Break was great imo, so I'm ready for whatever's next.

Great to see them get a publisher and going to make their game multiplatform. Considering how shit went down with them and MS, glad they are back at it and hopefully they don't go through the same shit as before.

Can't wait to see the engine upgrades , give me more of that awesome time stuff

giphy.gif

xTiQyeuAdvg5bLQ2fC.gif

KCMcd1G.gif

Qa86eMI.gif

buxyq58.gif

giphy.gif

DyquJid.gif

oLvl8dT.gif

Rirf59I.gif

quantum_break_stutter_effects_by_digi_matrix-d9yh9pg.gif

I'm a bit trepidatious with the, unknown, multiplayer mechanics but I'm sure Remedy will knock it out of the park. Just give me combat as good as Quantum Break and I'll be more than happy.

GeoramA

What the fuck is the leadership at MS doing? How do they let slip a potential exclusive from a third party that they've been courting for over a decade now? E3 really is going to be a bloodbath for MS like Shinobi hinted.
Remedy makes one-and-done single player games. With the recent Phil Spencer interview, it's no surprise they're not working with MS anymore.

Awesome looking forward to it. Have found their games interesting and good to see it's another 3rd person shooter.

Funnily enough, yet another blow for MS. Sad they never felt they should buy the studio, especially when right now they lack a variety of exclusives and sadly Spencer's words don't inspire confidence that the games they have planned will really be competing at Sony's level of quality.
Maybe Remedy didn't want to be bought? Independent studios don't usually go out looking to be bought.

Looking forward to this game and to people on PS getting a chance to experience their games.

Zukkoyaki

This is a very good get by 505. They're really coming into their own as a publisher with games like Assetto Corsa, Abzu, Bloodstained and now they have Remedy on-board. Feels like the mid-tier publishers are actually back.

Hopefully, they'll learn from their storytelling mistakes made in Quantum Break.

I never expected to see half the story of Quantum Break buried in boring and long winded emails. Remedy is better than that. It was almost heartbreaking to see such an amazing studio lean so heavily on shitty video game cliches.

Sounds interesting, but isn't 7.75m a low figure for a multi plat game? I mean the good news I guess is if it sells at $60 they only need to sell 300-400k units to make a profit, but still its hard to see how they won't go over budget but I guess Remedy will cover that?

Alan Wake 1 cost 7m in the first 5 years of dev, but they spent a lot of time exploring concepts that got thrown away (the game was originally open world for example), and I think it spent another year or two in dev with Microsoft picking up that check. I guess a smaller sized game like that could work, but then again Alan Wake didn't exactly storm the sales charts either, releasing the same week as Red Dead Redemption.

EvB

who is 505 Games? first time i've heard of them.

They published lots of really niche games in Europe bringing them from Japan and elsewhere when nobody else would.
Nowadays they publish some really great indie titles and some mid tier console games such as Sniper Elite.

It'll be really interesting as they likely won't have the brutal demographic and consumer research shaping the game like many larger publishers, however neither will it have the same level of spend or support.
I'm going to set my expectations at : original to play, but likely A bit janky.

They published lots of really niche games in Europe bringing them from Japan and elsewhere when nobody else would.
Nowadays they publish some really great indie titles and some mid tier console games such as Sniper Elite.

It'll be really interesting as they likely won't have the brutal demographic and consumer research shaping the game like many larger publishers, however neither will it have the same level of spend or support.
I'm going to set my expectations at : original to play, but likely A bit janky.

This sounds right.

Bandit1

Nice, I haven't been able to play a Remedy game since Max Payne 2, and that game is in my top 3 games of all time. Hoping this game turns out good.

Remedy said that they are moving on from making one game that takes many years to more games with shorter development time.

People are saying that Microsoft should've bought Remedy, but maybe Remedy don't want to be bought? They are listing on Nasdaq First North during May, and expanding in every way.

The company is owned by the workers and the guys who started it. The company has it's roots deep in the Finnish demoscene (like virtually every other older Finnish game company).

I believe that Remedy will stay independent as long as it lives.

By the way microsoft has said that QB has been their top selling game in this generation, and it made pretty good money for Remedy...

Too lazy to give sources, and they are in Finnish but there's been multiple articles about Remedy in the past months. Talouselämä for example had a few back to back.

EDIT:

And multiple games at the same time. They split their team etc.

Cuningas de Häme;235590571 said:
Remedy said that they are moving on from making one game that takes many years to more games with shorter development time.

People are saying that Microsoft should've bought Remedy, but maybe Remedy don't want to be bought? They are listing on Nasdaq First North during May, and expanding in every way.

The company is owned by the workers and the guys who started it. The company has it's roots deep in the Finnish demoscene (like virtually every other older Finnish game company).

I believe that Remedy will stay independent as long as it lives.

By the way microsoft has said that QB has been their top selling game in this generation, and it made pretty good money for Remedy...

Too lazy to give sources, and they are in Finnish but there's been multiple articles about Remedy in the past months. Talouselämä for example had a few back to back.

EDIT:

And multiple games at the same time. They split their team etc.

Regarding the bold part:
Can you post sources? I really doubt Halo 5 or Gears of War 4 were outperformed by Quantum Break. Damn, even Titanfall or any other Forza game for that matter.

Top Bottom