• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy Entertainment Announce They Have Acquired the Publishing Rights for Alan Wake

Mista

Banned
Alanwakebanner-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

In a post on Global News Wire today, Remedy earned 2.5 million Euros in royalties from previously released games which they plan on investing into developing new games. This could possibly mean that Alan Wake 2 is in the works or even the original game ported over to other platforms but whatever is happening, it’s exciting to even think that a sequel could be on the books given that the game was such a hit amongst gamers everywhere who have been crying out to see more of the psychological thriller that ended on such a big cliffhanger.

The announcement by Remedy states that “For its first half-year period of 2019, Remedy Entertainment Plc records approximately 2.5 million euros of royalties from previously released games as one-time income. The royalties are paid to Remedy during the second half-year period of 2019. In relation to this, the publishing rights of Alan Wake games are reverted to Remedy.”

Hudo

Alan Wake is the only game from Remedy I haven't played and I don't actually know why. What's GAFs take on it? Is it good?

LMJ

Man if we get a remaster I will be soooooo happy, such a great atmospheric experience and I would suggest graphics wise holds up pretty well too..

Except the cutscenes. Fix those please lol pulled you right out of the experience unfortunately...

DanielsM

Banned
If you haven't played this masterpiece yet, do it. My favorite game of the last generation.

Its okayish, nice visuals, great atmosphere, nice strange narrative that gets you nowhere.... combat is repetitive as hell though, the free DLC was actually better, imo. I picked it up for $10 and it was decent.

American Nightmare though.... don't bother, horrible game to me.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Its okayish, nice visuals, great atmosphere, nice strange narrative that gets you nowhere.... combat is repetitive as hell though, the free DLC was actually better, imo. I picked it up for $10 and it was decent.

American Nightmare though.... don't bother, horrible game to me.
I never played AN, sounds like I dodged a bullet perhaps.

wipeout364

Hopefully this means we will get a sequel in 2030. ( given the speed these guys work at). But seriously it might not be a bad idea to have a remaster ready for the start of the next gen for Xbox and PS5.

DanielsM

Banned
I never played AN, sounds like I dodged a bullet perhaps.

Yeah, the repetitive nature of AW and stepped it up to 400% overload of repetitiveness. There is actually a time loop where you basically play the game over and over, horrible game, imo.

Alan Wake was decent, I mean it seems they were having a hard time coming up with new combat mechanics but everything else at least was good.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Open world Alan Wake with Remedy doing whatever they want with the brand. Coming to next-gen consoles. Hells yeah.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Considering how much of a bullshit rush job Alan Wake ended up being, and how much promise it had that was ruined, I'd be happy to give them another go at it that actually lived up to their initial promises of the game.

gifgaf

Alan Wake is the only game from Remedy I haven't played and I don't actually know why. What's GAFs take on it? Is it good?
Same, I bought it due to the hype and have it on steam but never played it. I should check it out sometime.

Last edited:

ymoc

Fuck no. Enough open world games ffs
I think what we're talking about here is the original vision that Remedy had for Alan Wake - having a more open world that the player explores (exploring the town, etc.)
Which could work amazingly if done right. I mean, the original game had practically the whole valley built up, it just needed more content to glue the setpieces together.

Speaking of myself, I expected a bit more open world gameplay in the game, especially the town area. This was criminally under-used.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yasssss

Alan Wake is by far my favourite Remedy franchise.

From the first moments of seeing sun fly over foresty landscapes at ATI booth in E3 2005, to seeing first pictures of the haunted train yard, to the trailer that ends with a run to the light house, to finally getting to explore the magical and mysterious world myself... Alan Wake has a special place in my heart.

Oh and that amazing Kasabian stage, and the weirdly surreal mini sequel... what an experience.

xrnzaaas

I'd love a PS4 version. It would be my fourth copy (I have it on PC, physically on 360 and digitally on XONE). :)

I think what we're talking about here is the original vision that Remedy had for Alan Wake - having a more open world that the player explores (exploring the town, etc.)
Which could work amazingly if done right. I mean, the original game had practically the whole valley built up, it just needed more content to glue the setpieces together.

Speaking of myself, I expected a bit more open world gameplay in the game, especially the town area. This was criminally under-used.

It would work if it was semi-open world like in God of War. Having full freedom and engaging in too many side activities would kill the tension. I love how the "day" scenes in AW1 allowed for some exploration to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but they weren't too long.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Alan Wake multiplat would be crazy! I hope to see a new entry in the next 5 years or so. Didn't like too much the second game but there is a lot of potential to it since we don't have Silent Hill right now.

Birdo

Banned
Everyone was ripping Alan Wake apart last gen, but now suddenly it's the second coming of christ?

I guess I'll chalk it up to Exclusive Syndrome.

Last edited:

xool

MS is stupid for letting that IP go. wtf is wrong with MS lately...

Has close to zero value is MS's hands. Not that big an IP anyway outside hardcore circles.

Poor Xbox, they've been having a rough patch, like a fucking decade.

xool

It’s great. One of the best games of last gen

Owned a 360, missed Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Alan Wake, and Spec Ops:The Line .. I love TPS. Don't have an XboxOne, 360 broken, not available on PS4

..how this happen ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

zeorhymer

I thought Alan Wake was a good game. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but solid. I'm going to feel bad for Control. Too much hype and not enough substance. Quantum Break is better in my eyes.

near

Gold Member
Sounds like good news to me. Developers should own there created IPs, I don't think MS would've done anything with this ever again.

Saber

Gold Member
Alan Wake for other plataforms?

Hell yeah, I'm all for it!

Or even a sequel, I love this game. This is great news.

demigod

So in the end this game always belonged to MS unlike what people were saying. Now we know why they never made Alan Wake 2. Dumb decision by Remedy to go with MS in the beginning since this game was always supposed to come to PC first.

DonF

Oh its happening! I'm loving this age of game devs acquiring their IP back, Remedy with this news, Destiny and bungie, I really love to see them unattached to greedy publishers, specially considering the new age of game distribution online.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom