• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy Entertainment Announce They Have Acquired the Publishing Rights for Alan Wake

My rarest Steam achievement is for Alan Wake:

"Creative Space"

333708.jpg

Great game. I hope Remedy bring this IP back into the light with a sequel.

Last edited:
Everyone was ripping Alan Wake apart last gen, but now suddenly it's the second coming of christ?

I guess I'll chalk it up to Exclusive Syndrome.
Internet: This company needs new IPs!

Also Internet: Why don't they make a sequel to this game! :messenger_loudly_crying:
This entire thread is pretty funny, everyone hated Alan Wake and it was a shit exclusive!!! What happened.
You guys realize that some of us who played Alan Wake enjoyed it because we were entertained by the actual game, right? And that some of us played it on PC rather than the Xbox 360?

I like PlayStation and Nintendo as much as the rest of you but cut that shit out. The unwarranted negativity is what drives people away from posting in topics. Especially one where there's the possibility the game's developer will do something with a dormant IP - sequels to our favorite games are discussed just as much as new IPs, if not more.

Last edited:

pqueue

I'd imagine that remedy has been working on AW2 as a side project for a number of years...at the least they likely have storyboarding complete.

While doing interviews for Control before E3, they said they worked on a sequel about 2 years ago, but it fell apart as they could not get anything they were happy with.

Ol'Scratch

Hopefully they will run with it. I have said before that my biggest issue with Microsoft is that they never seem to understand when they are leaving money on the table especially with making sequels. There have been many great games that they have in their toolbox that people would jump at a sequel for but instead they focus elsewhere

You guys realize that some of us who played Alan Wake enjoyed it because we were entertained by the actual game, right? And that some of us played it on PC rather than the Xbox 360?

I like PlayStation and Nintendo as much as the rest of you but cut that shit out. The unwarranted negativity is what drives people away from posting in topics. Especially one where there's the possibility the game's developer will do something with a dormant IP - sequels to our favorite games are discussed just as much as new IPs, if not more.
I love GAF but I honestly think some on here have real mental issues, and Im not even trying to be funny because mental health is no joke.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

My rarest Steam achievement is for Alan Wake:

"Creative Space"

333708.jpg

Great game. I hope Remedy bring this IP back into the light with a sequel.
Steam is where I was first able to experience the game too, will be interesting to see where this leads.

Kasumi70

Neo Member
Alan Wake is a great game. It so funny to hear NeoGAF praise the game now. back when Alan Wake was first released, all I heard from NeoGAF is that it was no good. I loved the game and I never understood why the game was getting so much hate at the time.

Pallas

True but it goes both ways, as evident to quoted

finally free from the curse of MS. congratz, Remedy.
So in the end this game always belonged to MS unlike what people were saying. Now we know why they never made Alan Wake 2. Dumb decision by Remedy to go with MS in the beginning since this game was always supposed to come to PC first.

Ms and remedy are done working together.

The negativity is strong on both sides. Anyone expecting this to be civil are smoking something really good.

Also, happy that Remedy got publishing rights back. More people who play this series, the better. They just need a publisher now.

Mass Shift

Reading comprehension should still be a requirement before discussion.

- MS did not own the Alan Wake IP. They ONLY OWNED THE PUBLISHING RIGHTS.

This is why they received back royalty payments for the game now that publishing belongs to them. MS releasing publishing rights to Remedy is a rather magnanimous move. And it will likely be a positive in their continued dev/publisher relationship.

Alan Wake was a good (not great, not amazing, not trash, just good) game when it launched on 360, and became a much better game just by being on pc.

Metacritic for the pc version is an 83, with an 8 for user score. Same for the 360 version.

Steam users rate it as "very positive". So I'd say the love it gets it's pretty much deserved.

I played it at launch on my old 360, and played it again a lot on pc, especially so with 3d vision enabled.

You guys don't know how crazy this game is on a 120" screen with 3dvision.

This aside, it was a Ms exclusive, and it became so after being extremely hyped, especially so in the pc community (remember that Intel first trailer? Yeah, that kind of hype).

The problem with some users is that is was considered as a "Ms response to Uncharted" or something similar, and it was heralded as the first Ms exclusive that can rival Sony's offering and even some reviewers got caught up in this nonsense when speaking about its graphics, calling AW's attention to detail similar to Naughty Dog's doing on ps3.

And then the downgrade shitstorm happened. The game went from being a technical showcase (it still was and is, in some regards https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-alanwake-tech-analysis) to a shitty "lazy" job in matter of days, thanks to Remedy being pretty straightforward about their work: they announced the game runs at a sub-720p res.

And then, some mixed reviews after, the game became "boring", "uninspired", "repetitive", "clunky", etc.

It certainly has flaws, but it was a pretty refreshing experience, after all. And a crazy ride too. Today still, it's a really unique experience.

So yes, I want a sequel. Badly.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Alan Wake certainly wasn't what many of us expected going by that mid 00's reveal footage, but the end product was still enjoyable. Atmosphere was definitely its strongest point.

I also haven't played it since release and I'm a little hyped for a possible sequel so I went ahead and grabbed the PC version considering it's only 3 quid on steam ( Thanks for posting that @MrCunningham 👌).

Still looks great, and my trusty little 960 at 1080p has no problems.

HD0n8us.jpg

lFeCcpe.jpg
I hope we get a sequel. This game still looks great. The PC version has a great free camera mode. It works with a controller. The unfinished open-world is actually around you most of the time. I don't recommend using it when playing through the game because it can cause glitches.

Last edited:
Well Alan wake wasnt that great of a game, dont get me wrong i liked it and Quantum break wasnt that great either. I own both and completed both but they aint as good as people make out. Enjoyable yes but not ground breaking, Alan wake is the better of the two in my opinion

We'll see how their games sell on ps4.
Alan wake is flawed but decent and QB is just more of the same. It could be that those games flopped, also because of xbox's core audience.

True but it goes both ways, as evident to quoted

The negativity is strong on both sides. Anyone expecting this to be civil are smoking something really good.

Also, happy that Remedy got publishing rights back. More people who play this series, the better. They just need a publisher now.

Now being realistic has become being negative.
It is pretty clear that they are both going in different directions and want nothing to do with each other, otherwise they would have kept working together closely, like with playground.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
We'll see how their games sell on ps4.
Alan wake is flawed but decent and QB is just more of the same. It could be that those games flopped, also because of xbox's core audience.

Well when relased the playstation crowd slammed them for being average so with that they prob wont sell. As i said they are ok games not bad games.

Mass Shift

Alan Wake was meh in all honesty, Remedy should work out something with Rockstar and make a new Max Payne.

I wasn't crazy about this game either but I know some people really liked it. Both Quantum Break and Alan Wake needed something more to make them special experiences imo.

desertdroog

The game is a slow burn. In that, if you get past the clunky mechanics, the atmosphere and story will make it an interesting venture. It's like the story based walking games, except good and you have some action as well.

I would love to see an open world version of this game, where weird stuff happens as you are exploring or on the way to the set pieces. Stuff in your periphery, sounds you are not sure are there, some irreverent humor with npc's and sets...UFOs!!!!

I also love the way Remedy went to the locales they digitally represented and wish the Arizona set in American Nightmare was more fleshed out.

It has a strong narrative and while the gameplay is dated, it is a neat idea that could be fantastic if Remedy could make what they envisioned it to be, originally...or maybe what we were told it was going to be (looking at the Alan Wake map).

Also the radio station was a neat device to promote the story as the game progressed.

Last edited:
Alan Wake was meh in all honesty, Remedy should work out something with Rockstar and make a new Max Payne.
Yeah, because that's what we really need - Max Payne 4. Another game with lots of shooting bad guys with guns. Nevermind the happy ending. Bring the poor guy out of retirement.

Last edited:

mejin

like some alread posted the game is dirt cheap on steam right now. so, I hope they have solid plans for the ip on playstation. a simple remaster won't be enough.

game_nomad

For me personally, Alan Wake was very well crafted, but rather uninspired game. I am not really sure why would they continue with this franchise

Last edited:

Pallas

Now being realistic has become being negative.
It is pretty clear that they are both going in different directions and want nothing to do with each other, otherwise they would have kept working together closely, like with playground.

Is it being realistic? As far as I know, the two are in good terms. Playground isn’t a fair comparison either.

I’m happy they got the publishing rights back, it’s important for independent developer studios to have these things, but judging from your recent post history, yeah I’m calling it negative.

Top Bottom