• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy Entertainment Announce They Have Acquired the Publishing Rights for Alan Wake

Pagusas

Elden Member
Everyone was ripping Alan Wake apart last gen, but now suddenly it's the second coming of christ?

I guess I'll chalk it up to Exclusive Syndrome.

I’m also in awe of this strange love pour out for it. It’s a middle of the road game that had tons of promise and was rushed through production and sliced to pieces. It hurts my mind seeing the game as it is knowing what it was intended to be. At best it’s a shadow of a far more promising game that we were all told about then were handed this linear story that resembled little of the initial promise.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I’m also in awe of this strange love pour out for it. It’s a middle of the road game that had tons of promise and was rushed through production and sliced to pieces. It hurts my mind seeing the game as it is knowing what it was intended to be. At best it’s a shadow of a far more promising game that we were all told about then were handed this linear story that resembled little of the initial promise.
The tornadoes from the tech demo were amazing at the time. I thought it was cool in 2006.

Last edited:

I remember following development on this one since it's original announcement trailer in 2005 (geeze). The game was originally going to be more like Silent Hill with an open ended environment. But after Microsoft paid for exclusivity, the game was announced for both Windows Vista DX10 and Xbox 360. But the Windows port was later dropped and the game became a 360 exclusive. The PC ports came out three years afterwards.

The game became much more linear, and to be honest plays like a slower paced Max Payne (1 and 2) with larger levels. Alan Wake uses an updated iteration of the Max FX engine that was used for MP1 and MP2. I beileve Quantum Break and Control use Remedy's newer Northlight Engine, which I imagine they would use for a Alan Wake sequel, if they ever started development on it. Personally, I like Alan Wake, myself.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The tornadoes from the tech demo were amazing at the time. I thought it was cool in 2006.

Seriously, that tech demo is one of those gaming moments you look at and say “what happened! You had it all right there!” Money, pressure and time killed the game :(.

Seriously, that tech demo is one of those gaming moments you look at and say “what happened! You had it all right there!” Money, pressure and time killed the game :(.

Just about everything that was in that tech demo did end up in the final game. But it was all scaled back to work within the restrictions of the 360 hardware. The tornado appears during the last boss in the game.

Though, to be honest. Alan Wake: American Nightmare was a bit closer to what they wanted Alan Wake to originally be. American Nightmare did have more open environments.

Last edited:

pqueue

Many of you are forgetting that this game basically made no money whatsoever for Microsoft once you factor in development costs, P&A for advertising, and other things such as the six-part video series prequel Etc. So it is not surprising that Microsoft has let It go.

Mista

Banned
Owned a 360, missed Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Alan Wake, and Spec Ops:The Line .. I love TPS. Don't have an XboxOne, 360 broken, not available on PS4

..how this happen ?
For fuck sake what?! And you don’t have an Xbox one so no backward company for you. :(

Cool but now they're with Epic so I don't care that much about their games anymore, Control included.

I don't know why this is a problem. Remedy as a developer has been partnering with other companies since the Apogee days with Death Rally. 3D Realms/ Apogee funded Death Rally and Max Payne 1. Max Payne 2 was funded by Take2. Microsoft funded Alan Wake, American Nightmare and Quantum Break. They are partnering with Smilegate on CrossFire HD. 505 games is funding Control. Not surprising that Remedy/ 505 would jump on the Epic Game Store bandwagon for that free money.

I know Sam Lake has been talking about a Alan Wake 2 for a long time now. It would be interesting to see if they self fund it or not.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A lot is going to hinge on how well Control turns out.

I was pretty high on it until I saw that footage from around E3 that made it look like an overgrown tech demo, needing a substantial amount of time to smooth away all the rough edges.

Owned a 360, missed Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Alan Wake, and Spec Ops:The Line .. I love TPS. Don't have an XboxOne, 360 broken, not available on PS4

..how this happen ?

The PC port returned to Steam quite a while ago:

It's on sale for $5.00. really good deal. You can play the game at 4K resolution.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they just got the rights and are going to make AW2, then don't hold your breath. I AW1 is a good barometer, AW2 will be released when PS6 and Scarlett 2 come out.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Its okayish, nice visuals, great atmosphere, nice strange narrative that gets you nowhere.... combat is repetitive as hell though, the free DLC was actually better, imo. I picked it up for $10 and it was decent.

American Nightmare though.... don't bother, horrible game to me.
IMO combat was awesome, at least on gamepad shooting mechanics was extremely fun👍. Alan Wake is one of the best x360 era games.

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool, AW 1 always felt like a flawed gem that didn't manage to live up to it's potential, so I've always wanted a sequel where they could really try to accomplish or surpass that original vision. So hopefully this opens the way for that sequel

Also that Ending was begging for more games in the franchise

Cool but now they're with Epic so I don't care that much about their games anymore, Control included.

Remedy isn't "with Epic".
505 Games who are the publishers of Control, and as such get to decide where and how to release the game, are the ones that have decided to partner with Epic.

If they end up making Alan Wake 2 there's not guarantee that 505 Games will be the publisher or that the game will be an epic exclusive

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Its a good game, great atmosphere but it wasnt very big on exploring. It gives you as much freedom on a level as call of duty does. I thought at the time there be loads of exploring and a lot of free roam bit it was pretty much the opposite.

It is a great game and the lighting and atmosphere where great, if anybody missed it you will enjoy it just dont expect a freeroam horror title and you will be fine

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its a good game, great atmosphere but it wasnt very big on exploring. It gives you as much freedom on a level as call of duty does. I thought at the time there be loads of exploring and a lot of free roam bit it was pretty much the opposite.

It is a great game and the lighting and atmosphere where great, if anybody missed it you will enjoy it just dont expect a freeroam horror title and you will be fine
Ya. Remedy and MS gave false impressions.

All those early images and previews made it looks like a thriller action game in a big forest to roam around in. BS.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
gOD hopes for ALAN WAKE: SEASON TWO are HIGH
I'll pre-order whatever collector's edition they release on PC
it'll be my fifth-ever pre-order
the fourth was also a Remedy collector's edition

Cant blame Microsoft for a game they didnt make lol

In all fairness, Remedy did originally announce that the game would be closer to something like Silent Hill, when they first revealed the game for PC. They wanted the game to have an explodable "Bright Falls" town, as well as surrounding forest areas. But the switch to being an exclusive 360 game caused some hurdles for the developers. The final game ended up being more linear in its design.

Last edited:
A lot of folks have the misconception that MS owned the IP. This is inaccurate, MS only owned the publishing rights.. The IP has always been in Remedy's control.

Ms never stopped Remedy from making an AW2.

VulcanRaven

Alan Wake is the only game from Remedy I haven't played and I don't actually know why. What's GAFs take on it? Is it good?
Its a great game. I was disappointed that it wasn't open-world like they originally said but it was still good.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of folks have the misconception that MS owned the IP. This is inaccurate, MS only owned the publishing rights.. The IP has always been in Remedy's control.

Ms never stopped Remedy from making an AW2.
Ah. I didn't know that, and interpreted the thread title as Remedy taking full control off MS.

Last edited:
Has close to zero value is MS's hands. Not that big an IP anyway outside hardcore circles.

Poor Xbox, they've been having a rough patch, like a fucking decade.
IP was not owned by MS. Only publishing right was owned. Surprise educated Gaf users were not aware of this.

Ah. I didn't know that, and interpreted the thread title as Remedy taking full control off MS.

Pretty sure Microsoft only had console exclusive rights. Remedy did release the PC port on Steam a couple years later without MS's involvement. Though I believe the Steam release was delisted because of some licensed music rights expiring. But the game is back up on Steam now. Basically remedy can release a version on the pS4 or Switch now if they wanted to.

As for Alan Wake 2. It comes down to how they are going to fund it. Maybe find another investor/ partner, or fund it on their own?

I think Remedy should contact Night Dive and see if they are up for a remaster on current gen consoles? The PC port is quite good, and runs great at 4K / 60fps with a gamepad.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Ms and remedy are done working together.

Well Alan wake wasnt that great of a game, dont get me wrong i liked it and Quantum break wasnt that great either. I own both and completed both but they aint as good as people make out. Enjoyable yes but not ground breaking, Alan wake is the better of the two in my opinion

prag16

Banned
Alan Wake is the only game from Remedy I haven't played and I don't actually know why. What's GAFs take on it? Is it good?
A+ for story and atmosphere. C+ for tedious/repetitive combat mechanics and encounter design.

Definitely worth playing. Literally feels like you're in a Stephen King story.

Ellis

Alan Wake certainly wasn't what many of us expected going by that mid 00's reveal footage, but the end product was still enjoyable. Atmosphere was definitely its strongest point.

I also haven't played it since release and I'm a little hyped for a possible sequel so I went ahead and grabbed the PC version considering it's only 3 quid on steam ( Thanks for posting that MrCunningham MrCunningham 👌).

Still looks great, and my trusty little 960 at 1080p has no problems.

HD0n8us.jpg

lFeCcpe.jpg

Last edited:
I also haven't played it since release and I'm a little hyped for a possible sequel so I went ahead and grabbed the PC version considering it's only 3 quid on steam ( Thanks for posting that @MrCunningham 👌).

It's worth it for that price. The American Nightmare expansion is a nice addition too. But it can be completed in 4-5 hours. It does feature more Mr. Scratch, and the levels try to be a bit more open-ended.

The game still looks pretty damn good on PC too. It is a 2009 Xbox game ported to PC in 2012. The pC game does have some updated lighting for 2012, the ability to play in higher resoluts and 60fps capped. While the 360 original ran at 30fps. Because Alan Wake uses another iteration of the MAX-FX engine, (update on the Max Payne 2 engine) keyboard and mouse controls are really good. The game feels just like Max Payne set in a survival horror setting.

There is no bullet time, and in Alan Wake ammunition is more limited, and you have the flashlight/ light weapons. It wasn't what they initially promised when they announced the game on PC. But MS funding pushed the game to being a 360 exclusive. I could imagine that they had issues working with 512MB of memory. But it still is a great TPS style survival horror.

Last edited:
MS is stupid for letting that IP go. wtf is wrong with MS lately...
They never had the IP, they simply had control of publishing. It seems Remedy may make an Alan Wake 2 and if that's the case it would be a multiplatform game so they want to be able to have both games published everywhere.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Everyone was ripping Alan Wake apart last gen, but now suddenly it's the second coming of christ?

I guess I'll chalk it up to Exclusive Syndrome.

This entire thread is pretty funny, everyone hated Alan Wake and it was a shit exclusive!!! What happened.

Last edited:
I'd imagine that remedy has been working on AW2 as a side project for a number of years...at the least they likely have storyboarding complete.

Top Bottom