• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: State of Play on January 31- Feb 2

Ronin_7

diamond-fuji-yamanaka_YOSHIMURA-YOSHINORI_iStock-1199925591-770x513.jpg

all-playstation-studios-games-on-pc-guide.large.jpg

confused the lord of the rings GIF
Wait PlayStation Studios announcing a new game at a State of Play? Big doubt here.

Elios83

First SoP Hermen is putting his name on 👀
Really looking forward to see Ronin and Stellar Blade plus the other surprises.
If they drop a FF7R demo after the show:lollipop_fire:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
First SoP Hermen is putting his name on 👀
Really looking forward to see Ronin and Stellar Blade plus the other surprises.
If they drop a FF7R demo after the show:lollipop_fire:
This is more like a Showcase that they are calling a State of Play. It's significantly better than the last PS Showcase.

Perrott

Gold Member
This is more like a Showcase that they are calling a State of Play. It's significantly better than the last PS Showcase.
Going by how overkill this State of Play lineup seems, I'd say Colin Moriarty was right in that there was a second big event being prepared for late 2023 but that got pushed back until now.

saintjules

This guy reliable? Or just an attention whore or both!?

Would make for a solid SoP, if true.

Your post made me realise it was Shpeshal Nick. I don't know what will be worse, him being wrong and we don't have a state of play in the next few weeks, or he is by some miracle correct and will use that to give us bullshit for Sony conference in hopefully a few months.

Shpeshal_Nick

Funny GIF

Speshal nick doesn't have any insider knowledge...

Let's not give the loser the attention he seeks

Still doubt?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Still doubt?
he didn't leak any of this.

it's common knowledge that it was shared by an insider on a discord.

plus im sure nate the hate or whatever his name is was the first to publically mention it.

As always speshal nick the attention seeking whore just repackaged someone else's info to pretend he's something more than a fat guy with a podcast

Last edited:

Gudji

Hopefully we get to see something new from guerrilla games been waiting to see what they've been cooking other than horizon.

yurinka

Bluepoint project is overdue,
On a sidenote, I wonder what the hell have Bluepoint been up to these past 4 years :pie_thinking:
Whatever his dream is, I bet it's public knowledge and very on the nose, since I doubt someone as stupid as Nick would have any deeper insight into the figure of Hideo Kojima than the average gamer. Maybe look into him, interviews and such.

b7ZXg2G.png

Leaked concept art of Bluepoint's project from the Insomniac leak.

Well respected insiders such as Shinobi602 have hinted at BP's game being a continuation of an existing property rather than new IP. So perhaps it is Egypt God of War or a radically different Demon's Souls 2, hard to tell from this image alone.

There's no "Bluepoint game" to be announced.

They don't have enough game design resources to lead a new AAA game, and even less a new IP. That concept art was only a random placeholder illustration because when that document was written Insomniac still didn't know that the next project after Demon's Souls was GoWR. Unlike for similar documents they had for other studios, that Insomniac document did show "original content" as current project instead of a game name or game codename.

After Demon's Souls the entire Bluepoint team was working on GoW Ragnarok until it's release according to the linkedin of many employees and the GoWR game credits. Since according to their studio head they left behind remakes and remasters and will make only new original content going forward, after GoWR they are working again as support team for some game leaded by some other studio, because back then they still barely had only a handful game designers and they can't lead a new AAA title with that, and even less a AAA new IP.

So very likely after GoWR (they didn't work in Valhalla) they have been supporting other Sony game leaded by some other studio and they continued growing. Pretty likely somewhere in the future they'll be big enough to lead their own games. As a reference, Bluepoint has around 80 employees, Housemarque has over 110, ND has several hundreds and Bungie has around 1400.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
There's no "Bluepoint game" to be announced.

They don't have enough game design resources to lead a new AAA game, and even less a new IP. That concept art was only a random placeholder illustration because when that document was written Insomniac still didn't know that the next project after Demon's Souls was GoWR. Unlike for similar documents they had for other studios, that Insomniac document did show "original content" as current project instead of a game name or game codename.

After Demon's Souls the entire Bluepoint team was working on GoW Ragnarok until it's release according to the linkedin of many employees and the GoWR game credits. Since according to their studio head they left behind remakes and remasters and will make only new original content going forward, after GoWR they are working again as support team for some game leaded by some other studio.
Your idea that Sony bought Bluepoint just to have them as slave workforce on other studio's projects is laughable to say the least.

nial

Gold Member
Your idea that Sony bought Bluepoint just to have them as slave workforce on other studio's projects is laughable to say the least.
On one hand, there is truth in that Bluepoint was primarily an assets/graphics studio: the Demon's Souls remake, for example, was mainly developed by Japan Studio IDD (with Gavin Moore leading the project), in which BP was mostly doing work in the technology aspect of it. On the other, I can't imagine SIE buying Bluepoint only to keep it as a support company, it's just that their own game would take a lot time in the making, so expecting it any time soon is not worth it.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Hopefully we get to see something new from guerrilla games been waiting to see what they've been cooking other than horizon.
I really hope that once rumored online-only Killzone a la Battlefield game is true.

What was is supposed to be called again? Killzone: Breach?

yurinka

It isn't my idea, it's the reality so far. They have been a support team for GoWR and for the next game they're working after it.

They have been growing, if they continue doing so and grow specially their game design department they'll be able to lead their own new AAA game, but as of now it isn't the case. They completed their job in GoWR having 2 (depending on how you count it 3) game designers, not enough to lead a AAA game and even less a AAA new IP.

I assume the plan is to have them as support team during 2-3 games (being GoWR the first one) getting familiar and trained to the workflow of new games and some IPs, while they keep growing the studio. And after that once they have the proper team and knowledge they may lead during two or three titles a brand new sequel or spinoff of one of the many IPs they worked on either as support team or with their remasters and remakes. And after that they may lead their own new IP.

Step by step.

????
Didn’t Fumito Ueda left Sony to make his own studio? Even then Ueda never makes direct sequels.
Yes, he left/was fired due to The Last Guardian being turned into a money pit, not having a clear vision for the project and not being able to complete its development, to the point external teams had to go to complete it.

Sony owns the ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian IPs. This means Sony (not limited to the other people who also worked on it and remain there) can make remasters, remakes, sequels or movies without him. And that he can't use them without Sony's permission / approval.

Looks like a weak year for Sony Studios.
As I remember they have announced well over half a dozen first party releases announced for 2024: TLOU2 Remastered, Helldivers 2, HFW PC, Rise of the Ronin, MLB24, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Stellar Blade, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside and Concord.

Plus there are games like Death Stranding 2 with TBA release dates who could also be 2024. And stuff that could be announced for 2024 like the rumored Until Dawn remaster or Cory's SSM new IP.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes, he left/was fired due to The Last Guardian being turned into a money pit, not having a clear vision for the project and not being able to complete its development, to the point external teams had to go to complete it.

Sony owns the ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian IPs. This means Sony (not limited to the other people who also worked on it and remain there) can make remasters, remakes, sequels or movies without him. And that he can't use them without Sony's permission / approval.
First Shadow of The Colossus tyat need direct sequel and second even there was going to be sequel why would I want some random developers make the sequel instead of Ueda and his team.

Killjoy-NL

First Shadow of The Colossus tyat need direct sequel and second even there was going to be sequel why would I want some random developers make the sequel instead of Ueda and his team.
Who says Ueda and GenDesign aren't working on it?

Not saying it's happening, just saying.

Danjin44

Who says Ueda and GenDesign aren't working on it?

Not saying it's happening, just saying.
Ueda doesn’t make direct sequels…..so there is almost no chance they are working on Shadow of the Colossus 2…..Ueda is rather make new game.

Killjoy-NL

Ueda doesn’t make direct sequels…..so there is almost no chance they are working on Shadow of the Colossus 2…..Ueda is rather make new game.
Fair enough.

But the same was said about FF, until they released X-2.

I don't want a SotC sequel though. Maybe a spiritual successor.

Danjin44

I suppose.
SotC is basically a prequel to ICO.
Not sure where TLG would fit in, so maybe you're right.

Wouldn't mind another game that might fit in that universe.
I personally want see him make brand new game…..we are way overduse new game from him.

That goes to Yoko Taro as well.

Eiknarf

Will the 15 games shown be "PlayStation Exclusives"? (sorry, I've never watched one before even though I have a PS4 Pro and PS5)

I really do enjoy that I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Death Stranding 2. I can't even picture what it could be like in my head. Kojima developed DS1 within a span of 3 years with a brand new studio. I really am excited for him to have the proper budget and resources for a blockbuster AAA game, with 5 years of development time

yurinka

Will the 15 games shown be "PlayStation Exclusives"? (sorry, I've never watched one before even though I have a PS4 Pro and PS5)
The two already confirmed are exclusives. Helldivers 2 and FFVII Rebirth will be released soon, so very likely will be there too. But they normally also include multiplatform games there, typically those who signed a marketing deal with Sony.

Example: they could show there for the first time a new DLC character for Street Fighter 6 (like Ed gameplay) or Tekken 8, the Elden Ring DLC or something like that. Or announce some upcoming multiplatform game there, or to release a new trailer of an already known game (such as Pragmata, to announce its release date).

I really do enjoy that I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Death Stranding 2. I can't even picture what it could be like in my head. Kojima developed DS1 within a span of 3 years with a brand new studio. I really am excited for him to have the proper budget and resources for a blockbuster AAA game, with 5 years of development time
There has been covid in the middle, he also did work -at least to make motion capture- on the MS game, plus in the Death Stranding movie and in a documentary about himself.

So maybe they release DS2 having only worked 3 years on it.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

The two already confirmed are exclusives. Helldivers 2 and FFVII Rebirth will be released soon, so very likely will be there too. But they normally also include multiplatform games there, typically those who signed a marketing deal with Sony.

Example: they could show there for the first time a new DLC character for Street Fighter 6 (like Ed gameplay) or Tekken 8, the Elden Ring DLC or something like that. Or announce some upcoming multiplatform game there, or to release a new trailer of an already known game (such as Pragmata, to announce its release date).

There has been covid in the middle, he also did work -at least to make motion capture- on the MS game, plus in the Death Stranding movie and in a documentary about himself.

Will Stellar Blade be an exclusive?

Meh, Covid probably didnt have too much of an impact for a game in pre-production back in 2020. You really only need a small team before going into full production later on

The MS Kojima game is a much smaller experimental game. It doesn't sound like it's using many resources of Kojima productions, outside of Kojima actually directing motion capture. And once DS2 went into full production, it's less about Kojima's direct involvement and more about developers needing the time to develop Kojima's vision

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Lord of the Rings first-party game? First-party game reveal from Japan? Sony saying fuck it and showing Ghost 2 weeks ahead of Ronin's launch?

I have no clue.
By the way, of all the folks who guessed ( TheRedRiders TheRedRiders , demigod demigod , ulantan ulantan , dead monkey uk dead monkey uk , StueyDuck StueyDuck , nial nial etc.) Perrott Perrott unintentionally guessed the correct one 😄

The Gollum GIF represented the post-announcement mixed feelings about the fact that we have seen nothing of the game, don't even know its name, or whether it is a PS5 or PS6 game.

Perrott

Gold Member
By the way, of all the folks who guessed ( TheRedRiders TheRedRiders , demigod demigod , ulantan ulantan , dead monkey uk dead monkey uk , StueyDuck StueyDuck , nial nial etc.) Perrott Perrott unintentionally guessed the correct one 😄

The Gollum GIF represented the post-announcement mixed feelings about the fact that we have seen nothing of the game, don't even know its name, or whether it is a PS5 or PS6 game.

Huh, honestly I thought you were teasing another reveal than what ended up being Physint 😅. Well played.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st....810561/page-23?post=118432278#post-118432278

Also, who's making the thread on the PlayStation Showcase being reportedly slated for May 2024 per one of the most solid Sony insiders?

Top Bottom