• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: WB is worried about ‘Batman v Superman’, but not because of its quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
MoS not being the mega-hit they thought it would be is probably why. It feels weird to hear though since a movie involving Batman & Superman for the first time should be guaranteed to do gangbusters.

It could be a bad movie and it will still do a billion dollars minimum. Like I do not see this movie in any shape or form do less than a billion. If it does than it is a failure for sure.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Some hurt feelings in this thread.

eisenberg-1449167631.gif

Your bad .gif is going to do poorly in the world despite it's Oscar worthy origin. I now have epilepsy and will die.

Tell no one.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The cycle of bullshit rumors going every which way about how good/bad this movie supposedly is has gotten beyond tiring. People feeling the need to adamantly defend or trollishly shit on this movie have been fighting the same battle for three fucking years now.

I just wanna see the fucking movie and finally be done with this redundant-ass speculation.

It could be a bad movie and it will still do a billion dollars minimum. Like I do not see this movie in any shape or form do less than a billion. If it does than it is a failure for sure.

How well do we expect this to do in the international market though? I know DKR did quite well internationally (and even then it pales in comparison to Iron Man 3 and the Avengers films), but it seems more of the exception for DC as far as I can tell. DC tends to skew towards North America, and I don't know if the darker tone and aesthetic will capture those audiences the way Marvel has. All the big international heavy hitters (Transformers, Fast & Furious, Jurassic) are tonally and aesthetically in line with Marvel.

I haven't been paying attention to the projections for this, but I feel like it could easily be low $400's in NA (around Iron Man 3 or so), and maybe low $500's internationally, for a total in the low-to-mid $900's.

This sounds like something someone around here would say just to troll Marvel fans because they're mad that a bunch of people think BvsS looks mediocre.

IconGrist

How well do we expect this to do in the international market though? I know DKR did quite well internationally (and even then it pales in comparison to Iron Man 3 and the Avengers films), but it seems more of the exception for DC as far as I can tell. DC tends to skew towards North America, and I don't know if the darker tone and aesthetic will capture those audiences the way Marvel has. All the big international heavy hitters (Transformers, Fast & Furious, Jurassic) are tonally and aesthetically in line with Marvel.

I had once said that BvS will make anywhere between $900 million to $1.1 billion WW. I stand by it. Some speculate name recognition alone will shoot it past Avengers but I disagree. Maybe if the movie has stellar reviews.

I really wanna see what a Terrence Malick-directed Justice League movie would look like.

A part of me wishes that, instead of creating an Extended Universe, DC instead took sort of an Elseworld's approach to their movie universe, letting film makers create different movies with entirely different casts and no connection between them whatsoever. Like, hey you want to do a Kingdom Come inspired trilogy of movies featuring an older cast? Sure. And someone else wants to do a younger Batman movie? Go right ahead. I think audiences would get it, but maybe I'm crazy.

MisterHero

Guys, what is the meaning of BvS? I stay up every night asking this profound question.
It is an examination of the age-old conflict of Man vs. God. It's a trick question, when in fact both Batman and Superman are ubermenschen. One is the zenith of human fortitude and ambition (he's filthy rich), the other a pinnacle of otherworldly power (an alien with crazy genetics).

A part of me wishes that, instead of creating an Extended Universe, DC instead took sort of an Elseworld's approach to their movie universe, letting film makers create different movies with entirely different casts and no connection between them whatsoever. Like, hey you want to do a Kingdom Come inspired trilogy of movies featuring an older cast? Sure. And someone else wants to do a younger Batman movie? Go right ahead. I think audiences would get it, but maybe I'm crazy.
This is a great idea, but I don't think most of the audience would be able to follow it. They would be confused as soon as they found out two different actors were playing the same character.

Screams plant.

the 'deep' part is completely added / fabricated by batman-news (and you know a site is super credible when it has a hyphen in it), with their 'source' article being on batman-on-film, so you know, like other posters have said: no news threads.

The real source appears to be that they had expected something else from advance screenings but nobody is saying what that is. Saying that it's "not a popcorn movie" is not really a negative if you want to be a good movie versus the Transformers kind.

edit: they need to make Red Son already though, THE character analysis of Superman, and work from there.

Opto

Banned

This is too ambitious, also I forgot Batman's origin so I need a half hour reminder

J2 Cool

Deadpool is going to ourgross it. This reminds me of when Winter Soldier was outperforming Amazing Spider-man 2, and you realized Caps value is suddenly higher than Spider-man on reputation. Also Guardians outgrossing both.

Have close to no interest in Batman/Superman. Has not built to it correctly at all.

IconGrist

Deadpool is going to ourgross it. This reminds me of when Winter Soldier was outperforming Amazing Spider-man 2, and you realized Caps value is suddenly higher than Spider-man on reputation.

Have close to no interest in Batman/Superman. Has not built to it correctly at all.

Even the most diehard Marvel fan could not possibly believe this is true.

WB had ideas along those lines back in 2009 with Nolan's Batman and George Miller's Justice League. A number of factors, most outside their control, led to Justice League shutting down. Almost had Christian Bale and Armie Hammer playing Bruce Wayne at the same time. Going back two decades, Tim Burton's Superman Lives would've had a Michael Keaton cameo; same time Joel Schumacher had his Batmans.

I'm genuinely curious to see how general audiences like this.

Anecdotally, most normal people I've talked about the movie with are just kind of confused that they're even fighting. "Aren't they supposed to be allies or something?"

I kinda want to a whole article on "Was making the first Batman and Superman movie a Versus movie a mistake?

Deadpool is going to ourgross it. This reminds me of when Winter Soldier was outperforming Amazing Spider-man 2, and you realized Caps value is suddenly higher than Spider-man on reputation. Also Guardians outgrossing both.

What are you smoking bruv?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Terrio did win an Oscar... what part of that do you disagree on?

Not really disagreeing on anything. More like finding it laughable that someone actually thinks people will find it hard to understand a movie, because it will be a deep story written by an oscar winner.

the 'deep' part is completely added / fabricated by batman-news (and you know a site is super credible when it has a hyphen in it), with their 'source' article being on batman-on-film, so you know, like other posters have said: no news threads.

The real source appears to be that they had expected something else from advance screenings but nobody is saying what that is. Saying that it's "not a popcorn movie" is not really a negative if you want to be a good movie versus the Transformers kind.

This is what strikes me as really bizarre. How did it even get there?

It's basically Person A saying "hmm, maybe they are worried because it's not your regular popcorn movie? I dunno" then Person B suddenly went "Person A thinks that they are worried because the film is deep with an Oscar-winning writer!" I mean, wow, what a jump.

MisterHero

Not really disagreeing on anything. More like finding it laughable that someone actually thinks people will find it hard to understand a movie, because it will be a deep story written by an oscar winner.

BOF speculates that the mainstream audience is used to the “popcorn” movies that Marvel produces, and won’t respond well to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’s deep story that was written by an Oscar winner.

That's a funny way to spell WB.

I've recently been wanting this for the MCU.

Nah, no way is Deadpool beating it. Despite Deadpool having the stronger opening, Guardians of the Galaxy is likely the strongest analog. It'll probably make $350m domestically, give-or-take, and at best mid-to-low $400's internationally (the humor is really going to limit it in several markets methinks). That puts it around the mid-to-high $700's total, with $800m+ being pretty unlikely.

BvS on the other hand will absolutely cross that mark, with low-to-mid $900's being a much more likely mark in my opinion (I wouldn't rule out $1b+ altogether either). No way in hell will Deadpool cross $900m. Absolutely not happening.

Bleepey

DC think a young, slim- light skinned chick that plays Amanda Waller in the Arrowverse would confuse audiences with Viola Davis and this she's apparently not going to make (m)any appearances in the new seasons of these shows. They stopped Harley appearing , and curtailed the suicide squad thing they were doing in S2 of Arrow if I recall, and apparently Deathstroke appearances will have to be cut down cos of the new films. What I am trying to say is DC think audiences are stupid. I don't know if that's the case. I am cool with their being a separate TV universe for Flash and Arrow and a speedster DCCU. I am also cool with a large MCU where everything is connected. Hell I kinda hoped there'd be a seperate Sony Amazing Spider-man universe where they can do what they like with the character and then there'd be a separate Spider-Man in the MCU back when Sony had all the rights. That way Sony can shit the bed or develop their universe depending on how you look at it, whisk Marvel get to use their own Spider-man. It seems crazy stories with different tone and actors is something reserved for animation.

Pluto

BvS on the other hand will absolutely cross that mark, with low-to-mid $900's being a much more likely mark in my opinion (I wouldn't rule out $1b+ altogether either).
Isn't that something people said about Man of Steel? BvS coule easily become a disappointment for WB (because their expectations are too high, not beceause it doesn't make hundreds of millions), the current Superman doesn't seem to be such a big draw, we're having a new Batman and the last Nolan movie really wasn't that great and could have killed some momentum. It's not like Batman is guaranteed to rake in a billion dollars, Batman Begins didn't even reach 400 million worldwide.

IconGrist

Isn't that something people said about Man of Steel? BvS coule easily become a disappointment for WB (because their expectations are too high, not beceause it doesn't make hundreds of millions), the current Superman doesn't seem to be such a big draw, we're having a new Batman and the last Nolan movie really wasn't that great and could have killed some momentum. It's not like Batman is guaranteed to rake in a billion dollars, Batman Begins didn't even reach 400 million worldwide.

Man of Steel and Batman Begins both suffered having to deal with Superman Returns and Batman & Robin. Despite that, MoS still did almost 700 WW and both Nolan sequels hit a billion. A lot seem to think MoS's mixed critical reception will hurt BvS, and that could be true, but these audiences responded well to MoS and really well to the last set of Batman movies. BvS will be absolutely fine. There's no need to worry about it.

Batman Begins came at a time when the Batman name and comic book movies in general were not as white hot as they are now. The Dark Knight Rises made over a billion dollars and made more than it's predecessor. This idea that the perception of the Nolan movies is now disappointment and lack of momentum is silly as fuck, man.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nah, no way is Deadpool beating it. Despite Deadpool having the stronger opening, Guardians of the Galaxy is likely the strongest analog. It'll probably make $350m domestically, give-or-take, and at best mid-to-low $400's internationally (the humor is really going to limit it in several markets methinks). That puts it around the mid-to-high $700's total, with $800m+ being pretty unlikely.

BvS on the other hand will absolutely cross that mark, with low-to-mid $900's being a much more likely mark in my opinion (I wouldn't rule out $1b+ altogether either). No way in hell will Deadpool cross $900m. Absolutely not happening.

Deadpool is rated R. It's automatically capped at the knees in terms of BO performance.

But let's be real here; WB is chasing that Avengers money. So yes, WB is hoping BvS will reach $1b at the BO, or it will be a disappointment. I think BvS will get there, but it may take a while. Or not. I've said in many thread already that I believe BvS will be a success. WB has too much riding on the movie for it to fail.

Batman Begins came at a time when the Batman name and comic book movies in general were not as white hot as they are now. The Dark Knight Rises made over a billion dollars and made more than it's predecessor. This idea that the perception of the Nolan movies is now disappointment and lack of momentum is silly as fuck, man.

Even if the perception about TDKR is not as strong as TDK had, TDK is still so beloved (and rightfully so), that Batman is still white hot.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Deadpool is rated R. It's automatically capped at the knees in terms of BO performance.

But let's be real here; WB is chasing that Avengers money. So yes, WB is hoping BvS will reach $1b at the BO, or it will be a disappointment. I think BvS will get there, but it may take a while. Or not. I've said in many thread already that I believe BvS will be a success. WB has too much riding on the movie for it to fail.

BVS will reach 1 Billion but not 1.7 Billion. For that you would have to wait for Justice League. BVS is not chasing Avengers money in the same way Civil War is not. Unless Marvel's expectation for Civil War is 1.7 Billion which would be absolutely crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom