• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 4 [Fox Business] Kapow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterLimits

It's just the usual flirtation the Republican party has with a figure "outside" of the political realm. It's why you saw Herman Cain draw so much support in the 2012 primaries and Fred Thompson's flash in the pan in 2008.

Carson is probably going to fizzle out towards the end of this month and his support will probably fall in behind a more establishment candidate. I don't see him making any headway with this "economy-centered" debate.

Fred Thompson was a Senator for awhile at least. Btw, RIP Fred.

It may be hard to dislodge some of the Carson support because he is so religious and believes evolution is satanic and stuff. I do agree he will lose steam eventually. I certainly hope so.

Aaron

Fred Thompson was a Senator for awhile at least. Btw, RIP Fred.

It may be hard to dislodge some of the Carson support because he is so religious and believes evolution is satanic and stuff. I do agree he will lose steam eventually. I certainly hope so.
His support is like most of his life story, imaginary. While I'm not saying most Republicans are out and out racist, there is the fear of the 'other' deep in their makeup. They like propping up a black guy now when it doesn't matter to shout at people how they're unfairly labeled racist, but the majority are not going to vote for him no matter how religious he is.

jurgen

His support is like most of his life story, imaginary. While I'm not saying most Republicans are out and out racist, there is the fear of the 'other' deep in their makeup. They like propping up a black guy now when it doesn't matter to shout at people how they're unfairly labeled racist, but the majority are not going to vote for him no matter how religious he is.

StrawMan2.jpg

I think you're actually over-estimating how racist/fearful of minorities republicans en masse actually are.

Source: I'm a bleeding heart that lived in the South for a long period of time.

mclem

Again? Another one? Holy shit this is ridiculous.
There are only 8 left.

What they do is they look at the favourable/unfavourable ratings as the debate goes on and each speaks, and at the end of the debate, the two most unfavourable people have a demagogue-off, with the least appealing candidate kicked down to the lower debate. This continues debate on debate until Simon Cowell picks the winner based on the quality of their showdance.

I think that's how it works.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh I love these shit shows so much
Also as someone from the UK gives me an excuse to play Fallout 4 until the wee hours of the morning

glad they've dropped the numbers down.
Even with it only being two less, having longer to answer questions and reply to others should mean we get some clear policy questions (or at least some of them will put their foot int heir mouth)

Lindsey as Catwoman

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY OP??????????!??!?

As a Republican I find the Carson support strange. Ok, maybe not strange, just annoying. The guy flip flops on his positions almost daily, but the damn evangelicals make excuses as long as he says Jesus, Joseph, and fucking Pyramids every day. Dude has some dedicated followers. Hell, he could stab someone on stage and they would defend him.

Granted, every politician has dedicated followers. Obama would say Hope and change and he would lower the sea levels while standing in front of fake Greek columns and some people did believe him. Some feminists defended Bill Clinton when he couldn't control his penis, and attacked Lewinsky instead.

Politics is exciting though. Great job btw OP. Had a good time reading it.

Jeb has to come out swinging in this debate. His campaign is on life support. Rubio needs another good debate to help his numbers. He got a bounce from last debate but it has stalled. Trump needs to be competent and probably avoid going after crazy Ben too much. Trump actually seems sane in comparison.

Carson probably just needs to show up and do his usual xanax style mumbling and his damn supporters will like it. Cruz needs to get some Carson or Trump supporters somehow. Not sure how though.
Yeah, atleast Rubio's numbers havent sunk to hell like Carly Fiorina's, i think he'll be in for the long run. The Media desperatly want Trump and Carson to go at it on stage but i still dont see it.

OuterLimits

Great OP!

Why do the kids table guys even bother? I guess it's just fun to be on TV.

Wasn't Santorum always polling terribly last time but somehow surged enough before voting started and even won a fair number of states? Maybe I am remembering it wrong.

I agree though that chances of a kiddie table person breaking out is slim. Not impossible though I suppose.

I think you're actually over-estimating how racist/fearful of minorities republicans en masse actually are.

Source: I'm a bleeding heart that lived in the South for a long period of time.

Isn't the frontrunner of the republican party running on a platform of deporting 11 million minorities out of this country? “[Mexico] are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us. They are bringing drugs, and bringing crime, and their rapists.” Sounds like a fear tactic to me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Isn't the frontrunner of the republican party running on a platform of deporting 11 million minorities out of this country? “[Mexico] are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us. They are bringing drugs, and bringing crime, and their rapists.” Sounds like a fear tactic to me.

I think that's his point. Run on fear, win.

Ambient80

Is it weird that I read all of the descriptions and names in the OP to the voice of the Super Smash Brothers announcer? It made me giggle :D

Great OP!

Why do the kids table guys even bother? I guess it's just fun to be on TV.
If they put on a good show I suppose they might have a shot at being picked as vice president if the nominee thinks they'll broaden the campaigns demographic appeal.

Damaniel

Banned
Jeb has to come out swinging in this debate. His campaign is on life support. Rubio needs another good debate to help his numbers. He got a bounce from last debate but it has stalled. Trump needs to be competent and probably avoid going after crazy Ben too much. Trump actually seems sane in comparison.

At this point, Jeb's campaign is completely irredeemable, and I expect he'll drop out fairly soon. All that's left to decide is whether the GOP wants to vote for the establishment candidate (Rubio) or the current non-establishment nutjob of the week. As well as Trump and Carson are doing (though I have no clue *why*), I expect Rubio to end up with the nomination in the end.

studyguy

Fully expect a "War on Christmas feat. Starbucks" and "Missouri proof that liberals are destroying America's universities" to come up in the debate.

Sianos

Fully expect a "War on Christmas feat. Starbucks" and "Missouri proof that liberals are destroying America's universities" to come up in the debate.

war on christmas has always confused me

"the free market should decide what is sold, not protesters!!"

*free market decides not to plaster something in christmas decorations*

"christian persecution?!!?"

really demonstrates that a lot of these people only support "the free market decides" because the free market coincidentally decided to pander to them and only them

Damaniel

Banned

really demonstrates that a lot of these people only support "the free market decides" because the free market coincidentally decided to pander to them and only them

What's even more messed up is that these are the same people who started the original War on Christmas when secular symbols of the holidays replaced the religious ones. Someone on my Facebook feed called it a political correctness issue, but I see it as a case of severe cognitive dissonance.

Sianos

What's even more messed up is that these are the same people who started the original War on Christmas when secular symbols of the holidays replaced the religious ones. Someone on my Facebook feed called it a political correctness issue, but I see it as a case of severe cognitive dissonance.

very good point, i did think it was strange that christians were protesting the removal of the tree symbolizing the festival of saturnalia at that mall...

rjinaz

That's what it really comes down to and is sort of the mantra for many conservatives. It's the whole, "except for what I want", or "got mine philosophy". Ergo the double standard of I don't care if businesses can discriminate against gays because this is America! But businesses better not take away my Christian Christmas!

What they do is they look at the favourable/unfavourable ratings as the debate goes on and each speaks, and at the end of the debate, the two most unfavourable people have a demagogue-off, with the least appealing candidate kicked down to the lower debate. This continues debate on debate until Simon Cowell picks the winner based on the quality of their showdance.

I think that's how it works.
No mud wrestling or fights to the death :(

:(((

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
At this point, Jeb's campaign is completely irredeemable, and I expect he'll drop out fairly soon. All that's left to decide is whether the GOP wants to vote for the establishment candidate (Rubio) or the current non-establishment nutjob of the week. As well as Trump and Carson are doing (though I have no clue *why*), I expect Rubio to end up with the nomination in the end.
With somuch money behind him and being a Bush, I think Jeb! will be there to the bitter end. General election polls don't mean anything right now.

Edit: Doh! I meant to edit.

rjinaz

Not sure I want to watch this again and end up drunk and mad lol

Yeah I got plastered on the last one and turned into a raging fool on here. I'm not going to start drinking so early for one and I'm also not going to play a drinking game. I'm just going to drink some coke and rum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom