• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fts6N3MWYAAqM0c

xQff8eL.gif

65 hours, 100% completion. My watch has ended.

I’m in a Professional S+ run and I just got to the island. My clock says 4:30:39

Is it doable? I purchased a rocket launcher to beat the little bro. Can I buy more for the last two boss fights?
It is doable, I did it in an hour, but I found it really hard. You gotta avoid fighting to save time where possible and run past dudes. Running through a group, getting grabbed and shaking a bad guy off is better than wasting precious minutes killing the group when you are strapped for time. Since rocket launchers are so expensive I would just get a rocket launcher for saddler, you shouldn't be rich enough to buy them for both, which means Krauser will need about 18-22 mins of your time in chapter 14. You can make that chapter shorter by using the gate glitch, if not you need to craft lots of heavy and flash grenades, you will only need about 1 heavy grenade with the gate glitch, as you use heavys to shorten the wrecking ball area which will be completely skipped if you do the gate glitch. You want as many flash grenades as possible though, the more you have the faster/easier you can do it.

I said run past enemies but you will need to turn right before entering the facility to get the elegant crown in chapter 13 if you are gonna save up money for a rocket launcher. There's also an ornate necklace in waste disposal in chapter 14 so you may need to forget using the glitch just to make sure you have enough money depending on your savings. In chapter 15, where the attack helicopter buddy shows up, you gotta use a heavy grenade to take out the anti-air turret. It's a tricky throw, you kind of have to get it in the back of the turret. I had to load my save multiple times to get it, but it saves time since you don't have to run up the stairs and man the machine gun to take out the anti-air. You might wanna look up a video of someone doing it or something. After that, you're running through a warzone which is pretty insane. It's worth taking time to shoot the guys manning the machine guns and the rocket launcher guy as you dash to the 2 levers you gotta pull and use a few flash grenades to stun everyone else before running through the door.

Then you should do the next room without awakening or killing the regenerators, it takes too long. There's boxes near the second regenerator that you should shoot so it's easier to run past without bumping into him. Charge through the final warzone where you only really need to pull one lever guarded by a pigman you gotta kill. After that just use every flash grenade you have left to dash up the hill to the final boss without wasting time fighting. If you make it here with 10 minutes left the rest is easy, if you make it here with 5 minutes left it's close, but you might still be able to do it with the rocket launcher.

BryceNobody

Finally finished my first run on Standard. Felt proud of my ‘B’ rank until I saw post after post of S+ ranks… guess I lost track of time in the shooting range.

Resident Evil 4 GIF by Mega 64

Such a fantastic remake. Already looking forward to another run on Hardcore, and probably gonna do a little achievement hunting next.

Last edited:
Finally finished my first on Standard. Felt proud of my ‘B’ rank until I saw post after post of S+ ranks… guess I lost track of time in the shooting range.

Resident Evil 4 GIF by Mega 64

Such a fantastic remake. Already looking forward to another run on Hardcore, and probably gonna do a little achievement hunting next.
Nahh, I think getting S+ on a first run would be awful, because you should be taking your time and enjoying the game and learning its mechanics. I got B on my first run too. You only get S+ by knowing the game already and deliberately going through it at top speed without taking time to stop and smell the roses.

adamsapple

Nahh, I think getting S+ on a first run would be awful, because you should be taking your time and enjoying the game and learning its mechanics. I got B on my first run too. You only get S+ by knowing the game already and deliberately going through it at top speed without taking time to stop and smell the roses.

Yeah, I would not recommend anyone try for S+ on your first, second or even third run. Use the first couple of runs to max out everything and get familiar with locations, treasures, enemy spawns etc.

S+ is only possible in a new game, so NG+ stuff will not help. But you can still use things you get from the Rewards menu.

Professional S+ does not have any achievement/trophy tied to it so it isn't necessary for the platinum and I think it is the single hardest challenge in the game, so leave that for when you're extremely comfortable with the game.

If you get it on one of your first runs, you are a much better gamer than I.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
we can now pretend we all knew about this:

What a pointless clickbait:messenger_weary:

I mean, is there anyone here who haven't played Sekiro and can't parry enemy/boss attacks like a motherfucker in any games since without on screen prompts? If someone haven't learn how to do it yet, Sekiro will teach you how to do it the hard way and will imprint it into your brain forever.

Madflavor

Surprised no one mentioned this. Crowbcat's RE4 video:

Real shit take imo, I think most agree.

It has it's own thread. I think most agree that the title itself is a shit take. Even people who agree with some of the comparisons made in the video think "Soulless" is bullshit.

drotahorror

It has it's own thread. I think most agree that the title itself is a shit take. Even people who agree with some of the comparisons made in the video think "Soulless" is bullshit.

Oh my bad, I swear I looked and didn't see it.

In fact can you point me in the direction? couldn't find it searching for crowbcat or resident.

Bartski

Gold Member
What a pointless clickbait:messenger_weary:

I mean, is there anyone here who haven't played Sekiro and can't parry enemy/boss attacks like a motherfucker in any games since without on screen prompts? If someone haven't learn how to do it yet, Sekiro will teach you how to do it the hard way and will imprint it into your brain forever.
which is why I never noticed it beating the game 5 times. It's literally a visual indicator of the whole parry window, sounds rather useful when getting ganked on professional.

Sleepwalker

Used the ticket on the handcannon i unlocked before beating the game. Sold everything except the rifle to max upgrade the cannon. Time to murder the whole island :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Already killed the first regenerator without the thermal scope.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m nervous as fuck right now. I’m at 5:20:29 and have 1:35 on the timer until the island explodes. My last save was right before Mike gets killed.

adamsapple

I’m nervous as fuck right now. I’m at 5:20:29 and have 1:35 on the timer until the island explodes. My last save was right before Mike gets killed.

The jetski is easy, you got it!

1: 30 is plenty of time, you don't need to keep the accelerator pressed down, slow down for the obstacles and rocks. You're golden!

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The jetski is easy, you got it!

1: 30 is plenty of time, you don't need to keep the accelerator pressed down, slow down for the obstacles and rocks. You're golden!
I’ve done it like 10 times. But never at these stakes, lol. I’ve already gotten the trophy for not taking any damage on the jet ski in the past. Just my nerves, and tired, and sick.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I’ve done it like 10 times. But never at these stakes, lol.

Since you mentioned last save before Mike, I'm assuming this is for the Professional S+ run ?

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Don't open this spoiler until you beat the game.

I died at the jet ski in my Pro runs ending and had to redo the last chapter again lol

Sleepwalker

Nevermind that the dude lowered the volume on the remakes clips to make it seem muted.

The video has 25k likes and 15k dislikes lol

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's literally a visual indicator of the whole parry window
Yeah, but... why would you look at the parry indicator which is at the low right corner of the screen, when you need to look at the enemy and parry at the right time? I mean, it's not that hard and actually very easy to parry in this game no matter which difficulty level you're playing on and you don't need any indicators to help you.

SleepyDeliciousIndianpangolin-max-1mb.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Completed the game on Hardcore yesterday. I think that’s it for me. 2 times standard, 1 time hardcore. Just like with the original back in the days. Not going to bother with any of the special trophy runs.

Fantastic game, fantastic Remake. Still hard to believe that Capcom actually managed to pull this off. What a feat. Can’t wait to see what they are doing next.

I’d really love for them to do a completely new 3rd person RE instead of keeping this gameplay tied to the Remakes but yeah… as long as the Remakes are this fine, they can continue for all I care.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m just glad that I can now clean up the smaller challenges with infinite ammo.

For pistol/knife run, can I use the Matilda+Stock?

Also, what areas are they talking about that you can use something else? Are they talking about cannons and turrets?

Cashon

Banned
I just finished Chapter 6. I was really enjoying it until this chapter. Ashley's breathing is so loud and non-stop. It's incredibly annoying.

I also really, really hate having her follow me around. I didn't like it in the original and I like it even less here.

Hopefully I can just get used to it and go back to enjoying the game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just finished Chapter 6. I was really enjoying it until this chapter. Ashley's breathing is so loud and non-stop. It's incredibly annoying.

I also really, really hate having her follow me around. I didn't like it in the original and I like it even less here.

Hopefully I can just get used to it and go back to enjoying the game.
Capcom is still a very Japanese company. They tend to exaggerate sounds from humans. Listen to Leon when he aims a pistol. You’d think he’s lifting 75 lbs.

Cashon

Banned
Capcom is still a very Japanese company. They tend to exaggerate sounds from humans. Listen to Leon when he aims a pistol. You’d think he’s lifting 75 lbs.
Oh, trust me, I've definitely noticed that too. But at least it's intermittent. Her breathing is incessant.

I also hate how they both react to stepping out into rain as if it's raining farts.

These audio choices on their own make me much prefer the Dead Space remake. So far, anyway.

I’m just glad that I can now clean up the smaller challenges with infinite ammo.

For pistol/knife run, can I use the Matilda+Stock?

Also, what areas are they talking about that you can use something else? Are they talking about cannons and turrets?
You can but Matilda is a massive ammo suck, it might be good to use a different pistol normally and use matilda on bosses

Also good to shoot guys who are running in the foot so they fall down and then u can knife them in the head for a one bullet kill since pistol ammo can become scarce when it's all you have

you can't use eggs or grenades, but shooting explosive barrels, using cannons, harpoons and turrets are all fine

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You can but Matilda is a massive ammo suck, it might be good to use a different pistol normally and use matilda on bosses

Also good to shoot guys who are running in the foot so they fall down and then u can knife them in the head for a one bullet kill since pistol ammo can become scarce when it's all you have

you can't use eggs or grenades, but shooting explosive barrels, using cannons, harpoons and turrets are all fine
I got infinite ammo, thanks to the cat ears.

adamsapple

I got infinite ammo, thanks to the cat ears.

Dang, you did Pro+ before everything else ? I left it as the very last thing in my time lol.

An earlier NG+ on Assisted mode with a fully powered red9 and 500~ rounds to start, and putting all resources in crafting more HG ammo when needed, was more than enough for me.

It was like doing a Dead Space run with just the plasma cutter. Kinda very fun actually.

100%'d on Steam, completed all challenges, unlocked all bonus shop content--even the Rhinoceros Beetle model, which was the very last thing to unlock for me.

Great game. Most fun I've had playing in a looooong time.

adamsapple

100%'d on Steam, completed all challenges, unlocked all bonus shop content--even the Rhinoceros Beetle model, which was the very last thing to unlock for me.

Great game. Most fun I've had playing in a looooong time.

It's true, all of it.

They really did get lightning in a bottle again.

The only difference between then and now is that the market is saturated with games that were directly influenced by RE4 so it isn't as unique of a thing now, like it was in 2005.

Justin9mm

Keep moving. The worst thing he does is a close range attack where he eats you alive, so you gotta hustle. But while you're moving, do your best to keep the camera on him because you need to know what he's doing and learn to recognize each move he does. Those gross plops he leaves everywhere can be shot to stop them hurting you but it's more important to see if Salazar is about spit acid at you than to watch out for them. You can dodge his projectiles using the stairs and other terrain, so when he does something like his big explode move, dodge behind a pillar and then unload on him while he's exposed for a little while afterwards.

As people are saying, the golden egg makes this fight easy and if you are getting frustrated, it's worth going back to an earlier save file to get it. If you really don't have access to it and you're struggling, based on the loadout you described I'd say try to unload some really good stingray blasts at his exposed weakpoint at the very start of the fight to get ahead. By starting strong like that you should be able to fudge your way to victory as long as you don't stand still and get eaten. If you don't get off good shots you can load the auto-save from just before the fight until you do. You can throw grenades in his mouth as well and get a trophy for it.
I ended up just running back to the merchant before walking into the boss fight and sold one of my weapons to buy RPG. Literally, the one shot with the RPG at the very start kills him straight away. I've killed Krauser already and on chapter 15 now. Have not had time to play much last few days.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
6ubnJa6.jpg
Finished Hardcore playthrough and haven't even sold a single treasure to the merchant and without buying rocket launchers (which are essentially a cheat). Ended up with 1,2 mil in cash at the end (could've been more, but upgrading TMP to the max was a must to beat mutated Krauser at the arena before he even jumped in the air for AOE attack). I think 2 playthroughs is enough for now, will wait for Ada's campaign (next year?).

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
6ubnJa6.jpg
Finished Hardcore playthrough and haven't even sold a single treasure to the merchant and without buying rocket launchers (which are essentially a cheat). Ended up with 1,2 mil in cash at the end (could've been more, but upgrading TMP to the max was a must to beat mutated Krauser at the arena before he even jumped in the air for AOE attack). I think 2 playthroughs is enough for now, will wait for Ada's campaign (next year?).
Ada, Wesker and the fourth map The Docks for Mercenaries are already in the data. So I don't think it will be a long wait, really.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have purchased this game for these platforms

-Gamecube
-Wii
-Oculus Quest 2

I can't bring myself to pay near full price for it again. I do understand it's a remake but still I can't do it. Once the game hits around $30 I will buy it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Ada, Wesker and the fourth map The Docks for Mercenaries are already in the data. So I don't think it will be a long wait, really.
Well, they've said that Ada's campaign will be bigger this time - original was 3-4 hours long, so it can take more time to develop. I'll be glad to buy and play Separate Ways this year though, but tbh I had enough of RE4 for this year:messenger_relieved:

adamsapple

I have purchased this game for these platforms

-Gamecube
-Wii
-Oculus Quest 2

I can't bring myself to pay near full price for it again. I do understand it's a remake but still I can't do it. Once the game hits around $30 I will buy it.

200.gif

- GC
- PS2
- PS3
- PS4
- XBO
- Steam
- Series X (this remake)

killatopak

Gold Member
I think a good improvement for me would be RE3R/Village style point progression. Like challenges that lets you accumulate points for new game plus goodies.

The original is nice and all but most of it is just accumulating money or finishing side stories like Separate Ways. I dislike that the Handcannon is locked by 5 starring everyone in mercenaries as well. I love mercenaries but I don‘t particularly like main campaign stuff being locked behind a bonus mode. Keep them exclusive with each other.

I would love more costumes but please lock the mafia/knight costume from new game. Professional mode is like 50% easier when you use that combo costume in a new game. Make it only usable in new game plus. Also please allow us to go straight to professional mode without beating normal mode which unlocks the aforementioned costumes.

Some stuff I wish would return or just allude to them retconning or making the sequels canon is the OG RE3 style epilogue bits just to make replaying more worth it. Like maybe even add epilogue stuff for Hunnigan, Ada, Ashley, Wesker, and maybe even HUNK since he’s there at mercenaries mode.

Other small stuff like rebalancing the mine thrower since I think it’s pretty useless. The best thing you can do with it is buy it so you can sell its expensive ammo and never use it. Matilda as well since for a new game plus unlock, it honestly has worse bullet economy and you can’t even make it have infinite bullets for such a resource hog.

Not sure if it’s good or bad but I like having the armored vest upgrade. It isn’t available in Professional difficulty because it makes it easier but maybe allow us to keep the look. I think it looks great visually so I’m bummed out I can’t use it on higher difficulty. Maybe allow it to be an unlockable costume instead?

Some other minor stuff that’s more like nitpicks for me is the camera I guess. Sometimes it’s too close and sometimes it’s so far back. It honestly depends on the enemy type in that area like it pulls back out if you’re like fighting an El Gigante and closer for just ganados or something but I would love a more consistent camera distance.

Those are the stuff at the top of my head.

Holy… other than the epilogue stuff which it kinda did with Ada and Wesker at the end changing things up a bit, Capcom practically granted my wishes.

I love this game.

consoul

Absolutely loving it. Really fun to get in the zone and find your flow in replays.

Finished my first run on Hardcore 4 days ago (31hrs B rank), then finished it again on Hardcore yesterday (7hrs A rank) and today smashed through it on Professional (4hrs S rank).

Might be time to try for the Pro S+.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Inquiry

Do your pesetas and treasures carry over in NG+ I've been pretty thorough but I'm missing lots of emeralds and shit =/

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Inquiry

Do your pesetas and treasures carry over in NG+ I've been pretty thorough but I'm missing lots of emeralds and shit =/
Yes. Everything carries over even the items in your inventory and their placements, tickets, spinels and peseta. The only thing that doesn't carry over are key items.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw I'm really tempted to buy the double damage for the bolt action sniper. Best to buy all guns first (only a couple left)

Which is better, the assault rifle or the MP5 you find in the freezer room? Personal preference?

Top Bottom