• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

killatopak

Gold Member
Btw I'm really tempted to buy the double damage for the bolt action sniper. Best to buy all guns first (only a couple left)

Which is better, the assault rifle or the MP5 you find in the freezer room? Personal preference?
Assault Rifle uses rifle rounds while the MP5 uses submachine gun rounds. You can use both of them but I do prefer the AR especially in very specific encounters like El Gigante or Garradors. This is because they trigger the 3x damage on weakpoints and with such a high rate of fire, you can dispose of them very quickly without going through multiple phases or moving around to get a clear sight of their weakpoint.

The MP5 pretty much functions like a TMP with the bonus perk being that it acts like the Punisher handgun which is amazing against mobs, spider plaga or shielded ones at least until the island part where they have iron shields.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Then it's decided.

rambo GIF

killatopak

Gold Member
How did you guys manage the factory/chopper on hardcore? Patience?
If you wanna do it the easy way yes. Mike will literally kill every Ganado for you if you just wait for him. He will only really leave you alone in the final segment where you need to flip two switches to open a gate. Throw two heavy grenade on the weapons platform that interrupts Mike and he will support you until that final segment allowing you to skip the machine gun part where you need to destroy the said weapon platform.

I’m assuming the factory you meant is the area where the Regenerators appear? That one is just familiarity of encounters for me. There’s only one Regenerator you have to deal with which is the one with the wrench. The rest you can run away from. If you’re not feeling too good about running away then you can toss a flash to make it easier. For the wrecking ball section. Two heavy grenades and a small one to the wall will make Ashley break it in one swing making you skip the appearance of the bull head and spider plagas.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If you wanna do it the easy way yes. Mike will literally kill every Ganado for you if you just wait for him. He will only really leave you alone in the final segment where you need to flip two switches to open a gate. Throw two heavy grenade on the weapons platform that interrupts Mike and he will support you until that final segment allowing you to skip the machine gun part where you need to destroy the said weapon platform.

I’m assuming the factory you meant is the area where the Regenerators appear? That one is just familiarity of encounters for me. There’s only one Regenerator you have to deal with which is the one with the wrench. The rest you can run away from. If you’re not feeling too good about running away then you can toss a flash to make it easier. For the wrecking ball section. Two heavy grenades and a small one to the wall will make Ashley break it in one swing making you skip the appearance of the bull head and spider plagas.

Yeah it was about the first segment. Good to know. As always much obliged!!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How did you guys manage the factory/chopper on hardcore? Patience?
Equip the biosensor on a rifle. its a one shot kill on a weakspot.

Chopper is rough, but on the first section, go up top and use the turret to take out enemies coming out of the cave. then have mike finish off the rest. the second area, just throw two heavy grenades on the turret to skip it and run straight to the third area using grenades/flashbangs to make your way through.

once in the third area, go left and use the turret to kill everyone on the right side. then go to the right side, open the door and run past everyone. no need to fight off the last wave.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Equip the biosensor on a rifle. its a one shot kill on a weakspot.

Chopper is rough, but on the first section, go up top and use the turret to take out enemies coming out of the cave. then have mike finish off the rest. the second area, just throw two heavy grenades on the turret to skip it and run straight to the third area using grenades/flashbangs to make your way through.

once in the third area, go left and use the turret to kill everyone on the right side. then go to the right side, open the door and run past everyone. no need to fight off the last wave.

Yeah those assholes weren't a issue. Thanks for the advice.

I'm surely not the only one having issues regarding hitting the weak spots on Saddlers final form. I was using a pistol and sniper. I mean my aiming isn't that bad ffs.

Perhaps lead it to the barrels for a stun moment? I was out of flash bangs. Upgrades assault rifle for some margin of error?

Shooting the eyes culminate towards total damage?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah those assholes weren't a issue. Thanks for the advice.

I'm surely not the only one having issues regarding hitting the weak spots on Saddlers final form. I was using a pistol and sniper. I mean my aiming isn't that bad ffs.

Perhaps lead it to the barrels for a stun moment? I was out of flash bangs. Upgrades assault rifle for some margin of error?

Shooting the eyes culminate towards total damage?
yeah, you dont need to shoot the weakspots on his legs. they are just there to stun him so you can do more damage to his face.

just unload everything on his face. make some magnum ammo.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
yeah, you dont need to shoot the weakspots on his legs. they are just there to stun him so you can do more damage to his face.

just unload everything on his face. make some magnum ammo.

That's weird in game logic you'll hit the weak spots so his "ultimate" weak spot (his face) appears.

You say i can just unload on the face from the get go?

I beat him last night but it was such a weird hectic fight

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's weird in game logic you'll hit the weak spots so his "ultimate" weak spot (his face) appears.

You say i can just unload on the face from the get go?

I beat him last night but it was such a weird hectic fight
yeah, i had a similar problem fighting him on my handgun only run. i kept trying to hit his weakspots with the red 9 and it was taking forever. i died several times on assisted.

then i decided to just hit him on the face and he went down in a few rounds.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
yeah, i had a similar problem fighting him on my handgun only run. i kept trying to hit his weakspots with the red 9 and it was taking forever. i died several times on assisted.

then i decided to just hit him on the face and he went down in a few rounds.

Yeah he moved around like crazy. Well I'll try it. I'm doing another run on assisted to rack up most of the challenges. Still good fun imo.

SlimySnake

Lol no, I beat it 6 times before setting it down for Dead Space. But I do have the itch again.
Ive beaten it 7 times now. Standard mode run was my first run, then NG+ run on hardcore to unlock the infinite rocket launcher then rocket launcher run on Professional to unlock the ashley armor. Then hardcore s+ run to unlock chicken hat. Standard S+ run to unlock deer antlers and other trophies. Minimlist, frugalist and handgun run on assisted. And now im half way through my Professional S+ run.

Every time i finish a run, I am compelled to replay it. I love that i can beat it in 4 hours. I love that it rewards harder playthroughs. I love that it respects my time and doesnt make me sit through hours of unskippable cutscenes or walking segments.

Madflavor

Ive beaten it 7 times now. Standard mode run was my first run, then NG+ run on hardcore to unlock the infinite rocket launcher then rocket launcher run on Professional to unlock the ashley armor. Then hardcore s+ run to unlock chicken hat. Standard S+ run to unlock deer antlers and other trophies. Minimlist, frugalist and handgun run on assisted. And now im half way through my Professional S+ run.

Every time i finish a run, I am compelled to replay it. I love that i can beat it in 4 hours. I love that it rewards harder playthroughs. I love that it respects my time and doesnt make me sit through hours of unskippable cutscenes or walking segments.

It feels really good to play.

Seven playthroughs here, too. Capcom nailed perfectly-balanced challenges and playstyle variety.

I thought the Dead Space Remake was good, and it is, but RE4R blows it out of the water.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Having a tough time (mercenaries) getting a S+ even with Hunk.

Guess I firstly have to memorize the orbs locations. But do I collect them in one run or just keep killing till the next one? There's a bonus but I'm not sure what it entails; time between kills? Also I tend to fully built my meter manually seeing I think it's a waste to pick up a yellow orb when one of the 2 meters is full. Any advice?

Oh I see that you gain time by killing?

Shit's intense lmao

Last edited:
With Hunk, choose either village or island locations and use flashbang grenade to setup neck snap on minibosses. Get max points by using infinite ammo mode on regular mobs. Outside of that make sure to shoot enemy knees to set up football kick/turning knife stab or just riddle them with bullets. Keep moving and collecting time orbs. If you kill 150 enemies in the level, S+ is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Having a tough time (mercenaries) getting a S+ even with Hunk.

Guess I firstly have to memorize the orbs locations. But do I collect them in one run or just keep killing till the next one? There's a bonus but I'm not sure what it entails; time between kills? Also I tend to fully built my meter manually seeing I think it's a waste to pick up a yellow orb when one of the 2 meters is full. Any advice?

Oh I see that you gain time by killing?

Shit's intense lmao
Just try to keep up your combos and youll get it. Just need 200k points for S rank. With Hunk literally shoot knee break neck, flashbang groups and spam neck break, neck break chainsaw man and mini bosses too lol

The Stig

omg mercenaries is so much fun. so many great memories.

and LOL @ hunk being able to break the necks of the chainsaw guys and the brutes!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
With Hunk, choose either village or island locations and use flashbang grenade to setup neck snap on minibosses. Get max points by using infinite ammo mode on regular mobs. Outside of that make sure to shoot enemy knees to set up football kick/turning knife stab or just riddle them with bullets. Keep moving and collecting time orbs. If you kill 150 enemies in the level, S+ is guaranteed.

I get around 120 just short..

Just try to keep up your combos and youll get it. Just need 200k points for S rank. With Hunk literally shoot knee break neck, flashbang groups and spam neck break, neck break chainsaw man and mini bosses too lol

Should use the flashbang trick with Hunk. Thanks.

Check this out the first part with Leon, he gets time added for kills. Perhaps only for the most difficult enemies. Great run btw.

You really feel the lack of an autosave on Professional. The double Gerrador section and especially the Krauser fight are kind of a bitch. Got to Krausers final section last night and he got me . Now to do it all over again tonight, boooo.

Doing a NG+ Pro run now and I don't think I want to do a NG pro after. I don't mind dying a lot , but no autosave and doing 20 to 30 minute segments over sucks.

Even OG Re4 had autosave on Pro (via going thru a double door animation).

You really feel the lack of an autosave on Professional. The double Gerrador section and especially the Krauser fight are kind of a bitch. Got to Krausers final section last night and he got me . Now to do it all over again tonight, boooo.

Doing a NG+ Pro run now and I don't think I want to do a NG pro after. I don't mind dying a lot , but no autosave and doing 20 to 30 minute segments over sucks.

My Professional S+ run was the hardest gaming "achievement" I've ever done that I can recall. Thankfully I was hopped up on goofballs, which helped with the stick-to-it-iveness.

Ironically, the beginning is harder before you get your infinite Chicago Sweeper. Once I got to the church, the game actually got easier, with the Novistador-to-Double-Garrador room you mentioned being another difficulty spike/kick in the nuts.

My Professional S+ run was the hardest gaming "achievement" I've ever done that I can recall. Thankfully I was hopped up on goofballs, which helped with the stick-to-it-iveness.

Ironically, the beginning is harder before you get your infinite Chicago Sweeper. Once I got to the church, the game actually got easier, with the Novistador-to-Double-Garrador room you mentioned being another difficulty spike/kick in the nuts.

Props for that man. Speed runs are not my thing so I think an S+ Pro is off the table for me. I would like to to beat it on NG Pro with no special weapons or cat ears , just stock weapons that aren't unlocked . But I think I will take a break for a bit after I beat NG+ pro tonight or tomorrow.

Props for that man. Speed runs are not my thing so I think an S+ Pro is off the table for me. I would like to to beat it on NG Pro with no special weapons or cat ears , just stock weapons that aren't unlocked . But I think I will take a break for a bit after I beat NG+ pro tonight or tomorrow.
That no special weapons/cat ears Pro run might actually be harder than S+. I for sure used cat ears to get the Handcannon via the "No Special Weapons/NG Pro" challenge.

killatopak

Gold Member
That no special weapons/cat ears Pro run might actually be harder than S+. I for sure used cat ears to get the Handcannon via the "No Special Weapons/NG Pro" challenge.
It doesn’t have a time limit or save limit so it’s not significantly harder or easier than an S+ run.

Since I restarted, got to Del Lago on hardcore NG+.
Unlocked handcannon in Mercenaries, didn't even try any character besides Leon.

Great game, through and through.
I don't know if I'm too old (was 18 when I played RE4 at release on NGC), or if this didn't live up to expectations. But I don't think I'll be going back to it for quite some time now.

Madflavor

I'm on my 7th playthrough, still having plenty of fun. I downloaded the Nightmare Mode mod because I'm a sadist. It's hilarious the amount of things that can one shot you.

So after doing NG Standard, NG+ Hardcore, NG+ Pro, and unlocking everything in mercenaries, I think I’m done with the game until Seperate Ways.

Playing the game on the harder difficulties really makes the island section a chore. On Hardcore and Pro you have to deal with enemies just tanking headshots, but nowhere else is this more apparent than the island. On Hardcore guys were just unflinchingly taking fully upgraded Silver Ghost headshots up to six times.

You barely ever get to do melee moves from pistols, and can only reliably get them off parries. I’m really annoyed that they just tacked on more HP and and being resistant to being stunned on harder difficulties (for fodder enemies). I’m sure someone will point out this was probably done to encourage using the parry mechanic, but I rather be able to get melee moves off of both offense and defense consistently.

And the thing is, Mercenaries (and standard difficulty for the most part) is balanced like this. Headshots/knee shots reliably stagger and getting a flow off of them along with the parries is REm4ke’s peak, combat-wise. I really wish the harder difficulties had done the thing character action games do and remix the enemies more so than just lazily buffing the same enemies. I think there’s a couple instances of Bull Bois added here and there on Hardcore and up, but that’s about it.

Like I still like the game, but that’s my main gripe. Maybe I’ll do a Standard Minimalist run next so I can play how I like.

Last edited:
I was blown away by this Remake, tbh. They captured the original game so perfectly, whilst giving it plenty of great extra atmosphere. Very fun to play and the faster combat made it so intense.

My only gripe I feel is with some of the voice acting, but it was a very minor complaint and something that barely bothered me the more I played. I did love what they did with Leon's character, he felt more grounded to me.

IMG_1858.jpg

Fuck off, Kotaku lol
Let me guess what it says; Ashley should’ve become the main character halfway through after turning on Leon and bludgeoning him in the head with Saddler’s staff. She really did this because she got herself kidnapped on purpose to infiltrate Saddler’s group so she could pretend to join it and then take it down from the inside. Then she’d turn on Saddler, beat him instantly and blow up the rest of the game while saying “it’s time to do some overtime of my own!”

There’s your 11/10 empowering remake right there.

Sleepwalker

Rolled credits after 20 hours on my ps5 hardcore playthrough with a B rank. Im at the castle in my PC playthrough.

Gotta say the island is better now but still doesnt hold a candle to the first 2 areas, the Krauser fight was thankfully more streamlined. The fucking regenerators are nightmare fuel, that room towards the end where they pop out of bodh bags was cancer lol and the optional boss was even worse.

The novistadors in the island are also incredibly annoying considering I sold my shotguns.

I ended up using the infinite handcannon for the later areas of the game but found myself struggling more than I thought I would with it, due to the rate of fire its not that good when there are lots of enemies from different directions or for the novistadors.

I can see how the chicago sweeper would brutalize this game tho.

All in all really enjoyed my time with it and its my goty so far.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He echoed my thoughts exactly. This is a game that will stand the test of time and people will go back to replay years later. If Zelda and FFXVI weren't being released this year, this would've been a shoe in for GotY.
It just show this year for gaming has been.....
giphy.gif

The Stig

so i unlocked the handcannon thru mercenaries and immediately started NG+ on professional mode. also got infinite ammo as I was hoarding spinels.

makes things so much easier

it was all smooth sailing until the lake monster

killatopak

Gold Member
Lake monster is relatively easier compared to OG because it's very predictable. Just stay on the right and follow the direction the Del Lago goes if if there's debri.

The only frustrating part about Nu Del Lago is it regenerates its health everytime it does the dive and your boat stands still. Like somewhere around 70% health and 30% health. You can kill its first dive but the window of error gets tighter in every increasing difficulty.

Professional difficulty and the no miss achievement is fucking rage inducing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
so i unlocked the handcannon thru mercenaries and immediately started NG+ on professional mode. also got infinite ammo as I was hoarding spinels.

makes things so much easier

it was all smooth sailing until the lake monster
That fucking piece of shit is so random that either he always stay onscreen so you can harpoon his ass, or he can disappear for 3 minutes. BTW his health regenerates when he does his first big dive so killing him before that point is pretty important for speed runs.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lake monster is relatively easier compared to OG because it's very predictable. Just stay on the right and follow the direction the Del Lago goes if if there's debri.

The only frustrating part about Nu Del Lago is it regenerates its health everytime it does the dive and your boat stands still. Like somewhere around 70% health and 30% health. You can kill its first dive but the window of error gets tighter in every increasing difficulty.

Professional difficulty and the no miss achievement is fucking rage inducing.
Fuck you beat me 14 mins ago dammit.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Let me guess what it says; Ashley should’ve become the main character halfway through after turning on Leon and bludgeoning him in the head with Saddler’s staff. She really did this because she got herself kidnapped on purpose to infiltrate Saddler’s group so she could pretend to join it and then take it down from the inside. Then she’d turn on Saddler, beat him instantly and blow up the rest of the game while saying “it’s time to do some overtime of my own!”

There’s your 11/10 empowering remake right there.

It's probably because her pre order outfits look like Moira Burton, which is taking away the agency in what is, to date, the most accurate in game depiction of a Kotaku reader.

Edit: I can already see the article about reviewing and ranking 50 different moist barrels of fucks on Amazon

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Damn, doing NG Minimalist Standard, and this is the first time Water room is really giving me trouble. I don’t end up having enough ammo to deal with the Ashley section.
pXuR0rS.jpg
Have you tried buying gunpowder/resources to increase ammo? Bring all your handguns. You should have at least two(Red9 + SG-09) and maybe the Punisher as well. If you bought deluxe, add the Sentinel as well. They come with free ammo.

You can always equip Ashley’s knight armor if everything else fails.

MrA

You can still use Chicago typewriter on New game plus, do every merchant task and once you reach the castle bam, exclusive unlock ticket and infinite smg
Use the target ranges to power up/make spare money
Ammo saving type any area with around the lake, you can get enemies to spawn in, go back to the boat and take them down with harpoons
Also
Played original and remake back to back, stand by my earlier statements remake is excellent (10 out of 10 for me can't think of a single fault per se, just things that aren't as good as the original) original is better but thats because its like spinal taps amps, it goes to 11 (11.5 with the HD texture/mega corrections pack)

Last edited:
Top Bottom