• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

bender

What time is it?
Hey people, is dead space remake worth it after playing RE4 remake?

I already have the original on PS3 played it back in 2008 - 2010.

How is the remake compared to 4? I loved Re4

I replayed Dead Space last year and the remake prior to RE4 releasing. I don't think the original has aged all that gracefully, not that it is a bad game. It is really let down by the lack of enemy variety. Visuals aside, I prefer the original over the remake but those revamped visuals are very nice.

Last edited:

Madflavor

5 or 6. I screwed up and saved before collecting all three heads in the ballroom.

If you decided to take another crack at it, here's my advice if you're cool with that. Let's assume it's 5.

Save 1 is right before the Double Garrador fight. If it's causing you that much trouble, just go ahead and give yourself a save before the fight, so you're not pulling your hair out. As far as the Verdugo fight is concerned, don't bother fighting him, even with the infinite ammo. After opening the valve to escape the room where he first appears, run down the hall until you see a big room to your right that has breakable boxes with lots of items. There's a gate in the corner you can unlock. This creates a path where you can continue to run around in circles to avoid Verdugo until the elevator arrives.

Save 2 is the beginning of Chapter 11. For the Double El Gigante fight just kill the normal one as fast as you can and then keep avoiding the armored one as long as you can until Luis attaches the dynamite you can blow. Then dump his ass in the lava. After this you'll have to make it through the Mine Cart section, the first Krauser fight, and the Clocktower. The Krauser fight is the only one that can probably give you trouble if you're not good at it. IF you have 6 total saves as opposed to 5, then save before the Krauser fight if you're not confident.

Save 3 is right before the Salazar fight. Use the Golden Egg trick to shave off 70% of his health, and then finish him off.

Save 4 is right before the 2nd Krauser fight. I know that sounds crazy, but Chapters 13-14 are actually a cakewalk if you have the infinite Chicago Sweeper. With the Sweeper you can continuously shoot the hell out of a Regenerador's torso all over until you hit all the weak spots and they explode. Chapter 14 can be tricky due to the Ashley factor. Be careful not to shoot her when you're going ham with your Chicago Sweeper, and make sure she doesn't get captured.

Save 5 is right before the Saddler fight, you're almost at the finish line.

Man all the voices are great. You have to be or pretend to be a hardcore super nerd to complain about the voices ffs
This is bait right? It easily has the worst voice acting of the REengine games. Capcom went with non-Union, newer voice actors, and it shows. The worst offender is Ada, who is objectively terrible and worse than her 2 Remake voice, not to even mention the original RE4 voice.

RaduN

Finally finished the game a few minutes ago.

Took me a bit longer than i anicipated, stuff happened in real-life, so i took quite a few breaks from it these weeks.

Overall well worthed, it's a top notch action game, with the great RE4 mechanics and level design re-imagined, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but overall a good, engaging experience, as expected.
The balance seems off in some ways, some encounters lack the design finnese, as do some of the gameplay mechanics, and Leon with all his new moves arsenal (i mean, walking while aiming) is much much less capable than the old one. He's like a turtle here, while in original he was more like a cat.

Loved some of the bosses (El Gigante, both encounters), some new enemies are great (horse head fellow), however, other encounters (Big Cheese, Del Lago) are worse than in the original.
The extra micro-management, a continuation in some ways of Re2 re-make, is fantastic as well.

Good, sometimes great graphics, nice special effects and textures, possibly the longest shampoo commercial ever made? (Leon's hair is perfect from start to finish🥰)

In terms of cinematography and characters/dialogue, the game is well below the original. The cutscenes here are very amateurishly produced, the body animations are so badly done that they're almost funny to look at sometimes (poor Ada probably needs a hip surgery after this one). The facials are not great either. Also there seems to be something very wrong with Leon in certain moments, he seems so diformed, with a big head and small body and shoulders...i dunno what the hell happened to the cinematics team...if there even was one.

The original had movie class direction and some of the best mo-cap ever made, comparable to the likes of MGS games.

It appears they went for some kind of serious tone in this one, but in the end it didn't work. The characters are so bland and boring that it makes you wonder if they actually had any sort of plan whatsoever.
The pure class that Leon had in the original, the wittiness of the exchanges and just the memorable moments, are turned into some completely forgetable scenes here, with zero charm or gravitas. This is probably the biggest misstept of the game, and it's a real shame.

Re4 is by far the better game in probably every way, but so is Re2 remake, in terms of polish, characters, cinematics.

This may sound very negative, but once i realised that they simply didn't put any effort in the narrative aspect, i really started to enjoy the game for what it is, and some of the encounters are among the best this gen has seen.
There are amazing gameplay moments that can be achieved in this game once it all clicks.
I will definiyelly replay it, there's a lot to like about it overall.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This is bait right? It easily has the worst voice acting of the REengine games. Capcom went with non-Union, newer voice actors, and it shows. The worst offender is Ada, who is objectively terrible and worse than her 2 Remake voice, not to even mention the original RE4 voice.

Sounds good to me.

You do you though

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh man that don't let the lift/elevator challenge is so fun!!!

Season 3 Wow GIF by The Office

Madflavor

I would say the Remake overall has the better voice acting, it's just that Ada brings the whole thing down because she's that bad. Everyone else does a good job, Ashley and Luis are the big standouts. Nick Apostolides is a great Leon and it's good to see consistency between both Remake versions of Leon.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

So non union newer voice actors are terrible by default. Is this bait

The Stig

Perhaps. I don't really care that much and it all sounded fine to. If you're tuned into the VA and are a OG purist who am I'm to say what's what.

So there you have my sincere sympathy .
hey im not too fussed. i certainly didnt get this game for the VA work!

its just Ada was truly awful.

Dead Space is excellent. A shallower remake than RE4R but it feels plenty fresh.

Obviously Isaac speaks now and looks different, but they also added new areas and a security clearance system allowing you to backtrack to pretty much every area, gatekeeping some areas and items behind higher clearance levels. Weapons have been rebalanced, adding new alt fire modes to some, and special upgrades such as damage over time for the Plasma Cutter. It has a new Intensity Director system that tracks how you are performing and triggers “dynamic events”… extra enemies coming out of vents and stuff like that. There is a new map and the zero gravity controls are far better. It’s great looking visually (though there are better looking next gen games), and the atmosphere and sound are second to none. Well worth playing in my opinion even if you wait for a sale. Can’t wait for a remake of the second game.
To weigh in, DS is like the best Director's Cut of a movie you love. I think it elevated every element of the game, took away nothing and managed to polish it to a mirror finish. I give that team so much credit for how restrained, yet deep, the actual changes are. They could've easily fucked up the entire combat system but instead raised that whole dismemberment gimmick to new levels with the rebalances, Alt-Fire mode revamps and everything. Even seemingly small things like the fact enemies have skin/flesh/bone layers now feed into the combat loop now with limbs being easier to take off once you remove the flesh (fantastically disgusting and satisfying too).

I don't know, I think it's a very, very smart remake. The more I played it (3 times through), the more I noticed just how thoughtfully they approached every detail. The redesign of the Ishimura especially is fucking fantastic. It's like how you think the original may have played...but it didn't.

Anyway, I really hope they remake DS2 and get a shot at their own new DS game because I think that team overall is extremely talented.

So non union newer voice actors are terrible by default. Is this bait
No but but it’s obvious that they’re newer and less experienced. Leon, Ashley, and Luis are fine. Leon is less memorable, and Ashley and Luis getting more screen time is good so they’re arguably improvements.

Krauser’s VA puts in effort, but he sounds like a teenager and it comes across as goofy. It reminds me of Steve in Code Veronica, who was at least funny bad. He’s also just very one dimensional compared to the original.

Salazar is ok, but they shove all his fun dialog from the calls into his boss fight and it doesn’t fit.

Saddler, instead of being a conman looking for power, is just a one dimensional cult leader with a really generic voice, who you barely see.

RE4 already had a pretty barebones story and characters, but the remake really lost a lot of the charm the characters had (aside from Ashley and Luis), in favor of…… I don’t know.

There’s nothing memorable about any of the cutscenes besides Leon and Krauser’s knifescapades, whereas the original is still quotable today.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No but but it’s obvious that they’re newer and less experienced. Leon, Ashley, and Luis are fine. Leon is less memorable, and Ashley and Luis getting more screen time is good so they’re arguably improvements.

Krauser’s VA puts in effort, but he sounds like a teenager and it comes across as goofy. It reminds me of Steve in Code Veronica, who was at least funny bad. He’s also just very one dimensional compared to the original.

Salazar is ok, but they shove all his fun dialog from the calls into his boss fight and it doesn’t fit.

Saddler, instead of being a conman looking for power, is just a one dimensional cult leader with a really generic voice, who you barely see.

RE4 already had a pretty barebones story and characters, but the remake really lost a lot of the charm the characters had (aside from Ashley and Luis), in favor of…… I don’t know.

There’s nothing memorable about any of the cutscenes besides Leon and Krauser’s knifescapades, whereas the original is still quotable today.

Upon reconsidering i more or less resonate with your thoughts. It's apparent you're a hardcore fan so these changes hold more weight. Salazar though. Dude was drugged up as one can be so i had no real issue with him. Nice response and no not baiting. Just a casual observation.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I love the cutscenes in the Remake. Any scene involving Luis and Krauser are great, Ashley is better overall, and I love Nick Apostolides as Leon. He did a great job being consistent with RE2R Leon, but sounding more hardened. Krauser sounds perfect for the particular approach to his character they're going for here. In the Original he's a cold blooded merc, but here he's an unhinged ex-special forces soldier who was driven desperate and insane by his experience in Operation Javier. The voice actor did good in that regard. I don't agree at all that he's more one dimensional than the OG Krauser, he gets a lot more characterization in this one.

It really all comes down to personal taste. The Original and Remake are so different from each other in terms of their tone. Some people want the campiness, while others might appreciate the more serious take on the story. I love both but I fall more towards the latter.

I love the cutscenes in the Remake. Any scene involving Luis and Krauser are great, Ashley is better overall, and I love Nick Apostolides as Leon. He did a great job being consistent with RE2R Leon, but sounding more hardened. Krauser sounds perfect for the particular approach to his character they're going for here. In the Original he's a cold blooded merc, but here he's an unhinged ex-special forces soldier who was driven desperate and insane by his experience in Operation Javier. The voice actor did good in that regard. I don't agree at all that he's more one dimensional than the OG Krauser, he gets a lot more characterization in this one.

It really all comes down to personal taste. The Original and Remake are so different from each other in terms of their tone. Some people want the campiness, while others might appreciate the more serious take on the story. I love both but I fall more towards the latter.
There’s a video (I think probably in this thread) where he does say the old school lines, but I wish Apostolides got to say them in the actual game. Would’ve been great.

Madflavor

There’s a video (I think probably in this thread) where he does say the old school lines, but I wish Apostolides got to say them in the actual game. Would’ve been great.
I saw the video. It's funny, but I appreciate that the Remake did it's own thing. Plus Remake Leon has great one liners of his own:

• "You wanna get ugly? Let's get ugly!"
  • "I am flattered, but I'm a one lady type of guy."
  • *Interrupts Salazars speech and just starts shooting him.*
  • *Sees impaled Zealot* "Talk about sticking the landing"
  • "Nighty-night, Knights."
  • "Time for the teacher to be taught."
  • *Saddler's big first entrance* "Leon immediately shoots him"
  • "I'll give you a holy body!"
Then there's this over the top dodge:

Remake Leon has his own fair share of great and corny moments. The fact that he just blasts villains as soon as he gets the chance instead of letting them monologue is fucking based.

I saw the video. It's funny, but I appreciate that the Remake did it's own thing. Plus Remake Leon has great one liners of his own:

• "You wanna get ugly? Let's get ugly!"
  • "I am flattered, but I'm a one lady type of guy."
  • *Interrupts Salazars speech and just starts shooting him.*
  • *Sees impaled Zealot* "Talk about sticking the landing"
  • "Nighty-night, Knights."
  • "Time for the teacher to be taught."
  • *Saddler's big first entrance* "Leon immediately shoots him"
  • "I'll give you a holy body!"
Then there's this over the top dodge:

Remake Leon has his own fair share of great and corny moments. The fact that he just blasts villains as soon as he gets the chance instead of letting them monologue is fucking based.

Those aren’t bad (Leon is good in this), but I still prefer the old quotes, and also I ask
tQEnEDW.jpg

killatopak

Gold Member
I think it's safe to say the Remake is harder than OG especially when speed running or limited saves isn't really a factor in unlocking stuff on it.

Mercenaries however is easier in the remake.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yes, it's completely worth playing. The games have very little in terms of tone that overlaps, only the over the shoulder perspective and the fact that they're great remakes.

Dead Space remake is a fantastic game and I would highly recommend it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
To weigh in, DS is like the best Director's Cut of a movie you love. I think it elevated every element of the game, took away nothing and managed to polish it to a mirror finish. I give that team so much credit for how restrained, yet deep, the actual changes are. They could've easily fucked up the entire combat system but instead raised that whole dismemberment gimmick to new levels with the rebalances, Alt-Fire mode revamps and everything. Even seemingly small things like the fact enemies have skin/flesh/bone layers now feed into the combat loop now with limbs being easier to take off once you remove the flesh (fantastically disgusting and satisfying too).

I don't know, I think it's a very, very smart remake. The more I played it (3 times through), the more I noticed just how thoughtfully they approached every detail. The redesign of the Ishimura especially is fucking fantastic. It's like how you think the original may have played...but it didn't.

Anyway, I really hope they remake DS2 and get a shot at their own new DS game because I think that team overall is extremely talented.
That's really interesting to hear, I didn't follow it as I had no plans to buy, and so I missed all the improvements.

I see what you mean about Krauser, it's all "Hey ROOKIE! Remember when I taught you stuff!" Personally I preferred the direction they went in with OG Krauser. The fleshed out backstory was good, but none of that really showed in Krauser's actual performance/lines. OG cut straight to the point but also left a teaser in.

And while I'm at it, new Krauser's knife fight in the mine is actually shit when you think about it. A boring, drawn out "Spam the stab, dodge sometimes, occasional melee" isn't actually better than a QTE. You then do the same shit during the ruins stage anyway, so it just feels recycled.

I really hate this no stop lift challenge
There's this one bit that always gets me, and it's like an enemy or two jump from out of nowhere. The game must direct your attention away at the right time.

That's really interesting to hear, I didn't follow it as I had no plans to buy, and so I missed all the improvements.
I actually went back and broke out my original copy of DS afterwards, played a couple hours and yeah. There were a lot of small details that add up majorly that I didn't remember not being in the original. I forgot that Kinesis is basically useless in the original so they incorporated DS2's impaling mechanic into the remake and doubled down on it by adding small things like being able to break vents, picking up the fan blades and slicing enemies up by hurling them. Like I said, I think it's a much more subtle remake and therefore a lot of the small improvements kind of go unnoticed...until you pop in the original and go "oh shit, yeah, okay, the remake is just how I THOUGHT the original looked and played lulz".

Soodanim

Gold Member
I actually went back and broke out my original copy of DS afterwards, played a couple hours and yeah. There were a lot of small details that add up majorly that I didn't remember not being in the original. I forgot that Kinesis is basically useless in the original so they incorporated DS2's impaling mechanic into the remake and doubled down on it by adding small things like being able to break vents, picking up the fan blades and slicing enemies up by hurling them. Like I said, I think it's a much more subtle remake and therefore a lot of the small improvements kind of go unnoticed...until you pop in the original and go "oh shit, yeah, okay, the remake is just how I THOUGHT the original looked and played lulz".
Well damn, that sounds like a good remake. But the rest is a bit lacking, I understand? Talking Isaac and all that.

Well damn, that sounds like a good remake. But the rest is a bit lacking, I understand? Talking Isaac and all that.
Can only speak for myself but I actually think they did a good job with talking Isaac. His VA sounds surprisingly natural and he's not chatty by a long shot. He'll comment on things very concisely with clear annoyance in his voice and it kind of sells that yeah, you're an engineer there to repair shit, go do it.

Also...they axed the shitty gun turret section and actually replaced it with something cool.

And while I'm at it, new Krauser's knife fight in the mine is actually shit when you think about it. A boring, drawn out "Spam the stab, dodge sometimes, occasional melee" isn't actually better than a QTE. You then do the same shit during the ruins stage anyway, so it just feels recycled.
Characterization wise for Krauser I much prefer the original.

Gameplay wise, I like both the in game fight in REm4ke and the cutscene in the OG. I like parrying stuff in games, so even though it’s not the most engaging fight ever, I still like Parrying Krauser’s full combo. Also it’s kinda fun to use the Combat Knife with the speed exclusive to bully him by stabbing him like a coked-out hobo.

The OG cutscene is just fucking cool. I never minded QTE’s, but even for people who don’t like them I’d think they’d at least be able to appreciate what the developers were able to accomplish Graphics-wise with the GameCube in terms of real time cutscenes. At the time it came out they were incredible.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Playing it right now and… I like it. It’s a bit of a strange Remake. Some parts have been remade a lot, some very little and some almost not at all. They also added some side quests now and overall expanded the story.
It’s pretty good overall but for some reason I’m just not feeling it 100%. Can’t put my finger on it. Perhaps I’ve just played the Original too much and hence would have prefered a more drastic Remake. Also, the Original isn’t actually that old. Think it’s still too early to Remake PS3/360 games.

Apocryphon

Playing it right now and… I like it. It’s a bit of a strange Remake. Some parts have been remade a lot, some very little and some almost not at all. They also added some side quests now and overall expanded the story.
It’s pretty good overall but for some reason I’m just not feeling it 100%. Can’t put my finger on it. Perhaps I’ve just played the Original too much and hence would have prefered a more drastic Remake. Also, the Original isn’t actually that old. Think it’s still too early to Remake PS3/360 games.
Fair enough, but the original is 18 years old now.

I would rather they forget that RE5 and 6 existed though. Both games are trash. I’d they want to remake more games, I’d take a Code Veronica, re-imagined Zero, or the original. Hell, I’d take full on remakes of the Outbreak games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If you decided to take another crack at it, here's my advice if you're cool with that. Let's assume it's 5.

Save 1 is right before the Double Garrador fight. If it's causing you that much trouble, just go ahead and give yourself a save before the fight, so you're not pulling your hair out. As far as the Verdugo fight is concerned, don't bother fighting him, even with the infinite ammo. After opening the valve to escape the room where he first appears, run down the hall until you see a big room to your right that has breakable boxes with lots of items. There's a gate in the corner you can unlock. This creates a path where you can continue to run around in circles to avoid Verdugo until the elevator arrives.

Save 2 is the beginning of Chapter 11. For the Double El Gigante fight just kill the normal one as fast as you can and then keep avoiding the armored one as long as you can until Luis attaches the dynamite you can blow. Then dump his ass in the lava. After this you'll have to make it through the Mine Cart section, the first Krauser fight, and the Clocktower. The Krauser fight is the only one that can probably give you trouble if you're not good at it. IF you have 6 total saves as opposed to 5, then save before the Krauser fight if you're not confident.

Save 3 is right before the Salazar fight. Use the Golden Egg trick to shave off 70% of his health, and then finish him off.

Save 4 is right before the 2nd Krauser fight. I know that sounds crazy, but Chapters 13-14 are actually a cakewalk if you have the infinite Chicago Sweeper. With the Sweeper you can continuously shoot the hell out of a Regenerador's torso all over until you hit all the weak spots and they explode. Chapter 14 can be tricky due to the Ashley factor. Be careful not to shoot her when you're going ham with your Chicago Sweeper, and make sure she doesn't get captured.

Save 5 is right before the Saddler fight, you're almost at the finish line.
thanks. i saved before the double garrador fight. brought 3 heavy grenades and four small grenades and still fucked it up. they just wouldnt go down lol. they didnt bunch up at the bell and survived everything i threw at them. luckily, i had 6 or 7 healing items so i just spammed through the fight.

no issues with verdugo, dynamite and double gigante who i beat without saving at the start of chapter 11.

then saved right at the before the mines, and killed krauser. went to get the golden health, and for the first time in my 8 runs, had one spider dude sneak up on me and one shot/stagger me.

i really dont want to go through that fucking mine section or that knife fight again so going to quit for now. i know its just 15 minutes but i just hate repeating levels. gives me contra PTSD. its why i fell out of love with the souls series. cant respect games that dont respect my time.

Madflavor

thanks. i saved before the double garrador fight. brought 3 heavy grenades and four small grenades and still fucked it up. they just wouldnt go down lol. they didnt bunch up at the bell and survived everything i threw at them. luckily, i had 6 or 7 healing items so i just spammed through the fight.

no issues with verdugo, dynamite and double gigante who i beat without saving at the start of chapter 11.

then saved right at the before the mines, and killed krauser. went to get the golden health, and for the first time in my 8 runs, had one spider dude sneak up on me and one shot/stagger me.

i really dont want to go through that fucking mine section or that knife fight again so going to quit for now. i know its just 15 minutes but i just hate repeating levels. gives me contra PTSD. its why i fell out of love with the souls series. cant respect games that dont respect my time.

I think the healthiest way to look at it is S+ is designed to be the toughest challenge of the game. I think the game respects your time in that all other difficulties and ranks allow you to save as much as you want. But with S+ you gotta look at it as a mutual agreement between you and the game. This is not supposed to be the normal way the game is played, but it’s for players who want the challenge.

But if you’re really not having fun, then don’t force yourself to do it. It’s more important you enjoy your time with the game anyway.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I really hate this no stop lift challenge

I see what you mean about Krauser, it's all "Hey ROOKIE! Remember when I taught you stuff!" Personally I preferred the direction they went in with OG Krauser. The fleshed out backstory was good, but none of that really showed in Krauser's actual performance/lines. OG cut straight to the point but also left a teaser in.

There's this one bit that always gets me, and it's like an enemy or two jump from out of nowhere. The game must direct your attention away at the right time.

Yeah Its like a memory puzzel in a sense. Last night I gave up and said fuck it

I made sure to not overwrite the autosave so I'll be blabla

I did it!!
Old School Yes GIF

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There's a merchant assignment for a crow holding a red thing. The only crow i found was outside on top of the clocktower but he doesn't drop the treasure. ????

Last edited:

SlimySnake

There's a merchant assignment for a crow holding a red thing. The only crow i found was outside on top of the clocktower but he doesn't drop the treasure. ????
Remember the first time you meet the red priest holding a lantern that brings out the tentacles from everyone in the cellar? Go back out to where the merchant is and look for a bird nest right outside the merchant room. shoot it and it will drop a dirty gem you can turn in.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Remember the first time you meet the red priest holding a lantern that brings out the tentacles from everyone in the cellar? Go back out to where the merchant is and look for a bird nest right outside the merchant room. shoot it and it will drop a dirty gem you can turn in.

Thanks!!! My memory is bad. Was that in the castle or in the lift area.
If it's the latter I'll do it on my next playthrough

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Stupid question 30000

When arriving on the island there's a treasure near that tombstone. On those rocks you can climb on

Can't for the life of me find it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Stupid question 30000

When arriving on the island there's a treasure near that tombstone. On those rocks you can climb on

Can't for the life of me find it.
Just keep going through the level. I couldnt find it there because its on the level above and you have to go through the main door to find it.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Btw i could've sworn that was asked far later....

Maybe not. It was combined with the egg troll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom