• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I was blown away by this Remake, tbh. They captured the original game so perfectly, whilst giving it plenty of great extra atmosphere. Very fun to play and the faster combat made it so intense.

My only gripe I feel is with some of the voice acting, but it was a very minor complaint and something that barely bothered me the more I played. I did love what they did with Leon's character, he felt more grounded to me.

Leon was done quite well. His voice suits him, he's written not as a super edge lord but also not like an MCU character (which is closer to what I'd call the OG 4 Leon, despite loving it). He was a simmering smart-ass, and not an expy of Dante. Good shit.

What elements or actors in the VA department did you take issue with? I'm not jumping on the insane hate wagon, but I definitely thought Ada sounded more bored than aloof. Everyone else basically works for me.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
might be misunderstanding this but that’s not my video. I just posted video from NakeyJakey since I enjoy most his reviews.

Awkward Season 9 GIF by The Office

Resi 4 OG wasn't my favorite Resi game. This hasn't changed with the Remake but boy did I enjoy it way more than the OG. It's nr3 on my list, after Resi 1 remaster and Resi 2 remake, which are a tie with the originals because nostalgia.

The Stig

That fucking piece of shit is so random that either he always stay onscreen so you can harpoon his ass, or he can disappear for 3 minutes. BTW his health regenerates when he does his first big dive so killing him before that point is pretty important for speed runs.
thanks. i got through it last night. there were many deaths lol

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Does the rocket glitch only work on PC? I'm trying to do it on Verdugo. I can't seem to make it work. Same with the door skips on the castle.

GenericUser

Just got a new patch on PS5.
Wonder if there is a new patch for xbox as well. They still need to bring controls on xbox on par with playstation.

edit: patchnotes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE4 Update 1.005 | RE4 April 23 Patch Notes:​

Size: 290 MB (PC), 491MB (PS5)

Update 3: Capcom has released the official patch notes.

[PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4 / Xbox Series X|S / Steam]
  • An issue where certain key items become unobtainable, preventing the player from progressing through the main story, has been fixed. (Announced March 31, 2023)
  • An issue causing players to warp through walls when using the scope in certain areas has been fixed.
[PS5 / PS4]
  • Incorrect text displaying for certain trophy explanations in some languages has been fixed.
    (Brazilian Portuguese and Latin American Spanish)
[XSX|S]
  • An issue preventing the game from launching when downloadable content has been installed and an account with content restrictions is logged in has been fixed.
  • Fixes to the stick dead zone (the range in which the controller’s sticks don’t respond to movement) made on April 7 have been further adjusted.
  • Changes to the graphics rendering process made on April 7 have been readjusted.
[PS5 / PS4 / XSX|S / Steam]
  • Other miscellaneous bug fixes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice, will try it out when I get home tonight. Maybe the game on xbox now has the image quality it launched with AND responsive controls. Will play again after I finished Dead Island 2. RE4 remake rules!

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I thought I'd give the game another go as it's been a while. Hardcore S+ can't be too annoying, right? Blown to bits by dynamite after climbing a ladder, nothing to do about that. Okay, very fun, maybe I'll try one of the professional saves from before too much time was lost thanks to the shitty timer programming. Nope, stunlocked to death by arrows.

It's like the game wants me to have contempt for it.

If anyone is interested, the latest re4tweaks for the better version has some interesting mouse options for mkb players and some auto-QTE stuff for those that aren't fans, as well as other things like making the CT have an upgrade path (gets a new ammo type). I also downloaded the beta costume for Ashley and replaced the Pop Star outfit with it.

otono1.jpg

Madflavor

Holy shit, I'm on my 8th playthrough using the Nightmare mod, and I just parried and deflected a molotov cocktail back at a Ganado and it exploded right in his fucking face. I didn't even know you could do that.

This game is the tits!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I quit my Professional S+ run after getting to the double Garador fight. I did the whole castle ballroom statue trials, the ashley section and that stupid flying insect room, and died after the Garadors refused to die.

Every fucking video i saw on youtube has them dying from 3-4 grenades and flashbangs. I used 4 grenades, two heavy grenades, 2 flashbangs and a lot of SMG sprays and they just kept coming. Last night i saw a speedrun where they died from 3 grenades and one flashbang grenade. absolute nonsense.

the save nonsense is what hurts this game. I am not replaying 30 minutes just to run into an RNG fight.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Mayham + Shotguns

or Krauser's mayham

or good ol' grenades.

Damn i think to logical.

Grenades. Why not

Btw I'm going for the challenges..so anyway i triggered the ice mist even for that big guy triggered. Killed him though but because i was auto saving.... hence no bueno

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I quit my Professional S+ run after getting to the double Garador fight. I did the whole castle ballroom statue trials, the ashley section and that stupid flying insect room, and died after the Garadors refused to die.

Every fucking video i saw on youtube has them dying from 3-4 grenades and flashbangs. I used 4 grenades, two heavy grenades, 2 flashbangs and a lot of SMG sprays and they just kept coming. Last night i saw a speedrun where they died from 3 grenades and one flashbang grenade. absolute nonsense.

the save nonsense is what hurts this game. I am not replaying 30 minutes just to run into an RNG fight.
PC?

Grenades are weird btw. Less fps means more damage. Or at least pause buffer the explosion to simulate low fps.

SlimySnake

PC?

Grenades are weird btw. Less fps means more damage. Or at least pause buffer the explosion to simulate low fps.
PC at 120 fps. i might have thrown the first three grenades back to back. But i did shoot the bell and their backs to expose the plaga before throwing flashbangs and grenades.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I saw a vid complaining about the rng. One of those white highly thicc boys didn't spawn a heart in his head. In the room whith the bit you and ashley have to simultaneously pull the trigger. ProS run as well i think.

Last edited:
I thought I'd give the game another go as it's been a while. Hardcore S+ can't be too annoying, right? Blown to bits by dynamite after climbing a ladder, nothing to do about that. Okay, very fun, maybe I'll try one of the professional saves from before too much time was lost thanks to the shitty timer programming. Nope, stunlocked to death by arrows.
Tried doing Professional and just gave up. The stunlocking in this game combined with the absurdly cumbersome animations on everything Leon does are a problem that is just massively exacerbated at high difficulty. It didn't bother me that much, outside of specific fights, in Standard but I'm good for now. I know, git gud, skill issue, all that shit but the game feels annoying as hell at high difficulties for me.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
PC at 120 fps. i might have thrown the first three grenades back to back. But i did shoot the bell and their backs to expose the plaga before throwing flashbangs and grenades.

Isn't a fully double damage bolt action sniper shot at the plaga enough for a kill. Maybe not on Pro+

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I saw a vid complaining about the rng. One of those white highly thicc boys didn't spawn a heart in his head. In the room where bit you and ashley have to simultaneously pull the trigger. ProS run as well i think.
yeah i saw that video. stuff like that is very frustrating.

SlimySnake

Isn't a fully double damage bolt action sniper shot at the plaga enough for a kill. Maybe not on Pro+
On PC, you can download a mod to display health bars on enemies. Shouldve turned it on to see just how close they were. I had enough resources to make one more heavy grenade, but they stunlocked me and killed me in a few hits.

I went in with like 6 healing items. I was convinced i was going to easily get through it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Already posted in the other topic but bringing it to attention in the OP as well. The 4/24 patch released on all platforms has fixed the shitty AA and shimmering introduced on Xbox in the last patch. It's back to the clear IQ it was at launch.

Along with further refinements in the dead zone as per the patch notes. I don't have tools to measure that but I'm sure someone on YT will cover it sooner or later.

o5wATa2.jpg

Last edited:
Already posted in the other topic but bringing it to attention in the OP as well. The 4/24 patch released on all platforms has fixed the shitty AA and shimmering introduced on Xbox in the last patch. It's back to the clear IQ it was at launch.

Along with further refinements in the dead zone as per the patch notes. I don't have tools to measure that but I'm sure someone on YT will cover it sooner or later.

o5wATa2.jpg

IQ looks even better now than it was at launch, going by this screenshot.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IQ looks even better now than it was at launch, going by this screenshot.

I'd say use the screen just for the anti aliasing, the 2 left are from youtube (even though they're 1440p) so they have added YT compression. The right most is my own direct feed capture.

But the shimmering and IQ are most definitely better than patch 1.004 now.

Last edited:

Madflavor

On PC, you can download a mod to display health bars on enemies. Shouldve turned it on to see just how close they were. I had enough resources to make one more heavy grenade, but they stunlocked me and killed me in a few hits.

I went in with like 6 healing items. I was convinced i was going to easily get through it.

Shit man I hope you don't give up. Are you using bonus weapons and their infinite ammo perk?

SlimySnake

Shit man I hope you don't give up. Are you using bonus weapons and their infinite ammo perk?
yeah. Got the infinite ammo for the chicago sweeper. Made great progress without any bonus weapons in the village section aceing the cabin, sisters, mendez and el-gigante boss fights on the first go. Still under 2 hours but i just cant handle repeating levels.

The rest of the game is full of boss fights and tough encounters like Verduogo, dual troll fights, followed by mines, first krauser fight and im supposed to do them all saving only once? Then do clocktower, ramon, and the first island section without saving? nah, i will pass.

killatopak

Gold Member
yeah. Got the infinite ammo for the chicago sweeper. Made great progress without any bonus weapons in the village section aceing the cabin, sisters, mendez and el-gigante boss fights on the first go. Still under 2 hours but i just cant handle repeating levels.

The rest of the game is full of boss fights and tough encounters like Verduogo, dual troll fights, followed by mines, first krauser fight and im supposed to do them all saving only once? Then do clocktower, ramon, and the first island section without saving? nah, i will pass.
If you’re on PC, there’s a new strat that glitches the amount of ammo your rocket launcher has. It makes it so that you buy a RL for Verdugo and keep it for the dynamite and double El Gigante fight.

Last edited:

Madflavor

How many saves you got left?

solidus12

Hey people, is dead space remake worth it after playing RE4 remake?

I already have the original on PS3 played it back in 2008 - 2010.

How is the remake compared to 4? I loved Re4

Last edited:

Madflavor

I played the DS Remake right after RE4R actually. It's very good and I recommend it. It's basically the same game but with modern graphics. There are some other changes too like Isaac being voiced, weapons being rebalanced, additional areas, etc. But it's not like RE4R where it's rebuilt from the ground up and a different vision of the game.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Jezus Christ that challenge not to get hit on luis's coke ride is so annoying. Pistol takes ages for it's reticule to become precise. Luckily i managed the first part and god bless CAPGOD for an autosave lmao.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Tried doing Professional and just gave up. The stunlocking in this game combined with the absurdly cumbersome animations on everything Leon does are a problem that is just massively exacerbated at high difficulty. It didn't bother me that much, outside of specific fights, in Standard but I'm good for now. I know, git gud, skill issue, all that shit but the game feels annoying as hell at high difficulties for me.
That's just it. I've been persevering through Souls since Demon's, and I'm absolutely not against a skill check. I'll happily git gud if I feel like it's my fault I died. But when I feel like the game unfairly takes you down, I find that to be a turn off. What am I overcoming if it's not my fault I died? I still haven't finished Sekiro, I think I'll go back to that and take on a challenge I find to be fair.

Jezus Christ that challenge not to get hit on luis's coke ride is so annoying. Pistol takes ages for it's reticule to become precise. Luckily i managed the first part and god bless CAPGOD for an autosave lmao.
Best thing you can do on that one is put on the Gas Mask so you can enable auto aim regardless of difficulty. Or just do it on Assisted.

I think the reticule thing is a wider issue, personally. It takes so long for it to focus, it's a bit much.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

How's Hardcore in that respect?

That's just it. I've been persevering through Souls since Demon's, and I'm absolutely not against a skill check. I'll happily git gud if I feel like it's my fault I died. But when I feel like the game unfairly takes you down, I find that to be a turn off. What am I overcoming if it's not my fault I died? I still haven't finished Sekiro, I think I'll go back to that and take on a challenge I find to be fair.

Best thing you can do on that one is put on the Gas Mask so you can enable auto aim regardless of difficulty. Or just do it on Assisted.

I think the reticule thing is a wider issue, personally. It takes so long for it to focus, it's a bit much.

I started on Assisted because Resident Evil 4 is one of my most scary experiences game wise.

Turns out it's less scary.

Doing a second playthrough on Assisted taking my time to buy all the weapons, upgrades, treasures and most of the challenges. As well for getting a good feel for the game. Standard is next. Having blast by the way!

So no gas mask yet =)

For me the trick is to predict the carts and stuff so my reticle will focus.

Almost there.

Madflavor

Another thing I just discovered. I threw a grenade at a Zealot the same time he throwing his axe. They both collided with each other mid air and fell to the ground. The grenade blew us both away. I died but it was hilarious.

Apocryphon

Dead Space is excellent. A shallower remake than RE4R but it feels plenty fresh.

Obviously Isaac speaks now and looks different, but they also added new areas and a security clearance system allowing you to backtrack to pretty much every area, gatekeeping some areas and items behind higher clearance levels. Weapons have been rebalanced, adding new alt fire modes to some, and special upgrades such as damage over time for the Plasma Cutter. It has a new Intensity Director system that tracks how you are performing and triggers “dynamic events”… extra enemies coming out of vents and stuff like that. There is a new map and the zero gravity controls are far better. It’s great looking visually (though there are better looking next gen games), and the atmosphere and sound are second to none. Well worth playing in my opinion even if you wait for a sale. Can’t wait for a remake of the second game.

Top Bottom