• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 seems to have begun development immediately after 6?

I hope they make it a bit more focused and shorter than the last one. As someone who genuinely enjoyed 6 and put a fair number of hours into it, even I didn't like Ada's campaign. One of the biggest strengths of 6 was the co-op mode, but it just felt very tacked on in her story, we didn't put more than 2 hours into it despite finishing (and enjoying) all 3 other campaigns quite a bit.

Shocking news? Why wouldn't they keep on working on the series?

Yeah. RE6 was a critical failure, it still sold like 4 million copies.

Anyways, they need one more to bring it all home. Every character ever in a RE game or movie needs to show up and the game should end like the Dead or Alive movie where Chris and Wesker reveal that they can throw fireballs and they throw two so large that the world is destroyed.

Then they can reboot.

Valnen

As long as they ignore the terrible RE5/6, then I'll be happy.

But we all know they won't so... Don't really care! And to think, RE's future was looking so bright after RE4 re-energized the series.

Too bad they weren't terrible, no matter how much the internet tries to claim otherwise. Had a blast co-oping the campaigns and loved mercenaries in both.

sphinx

the piano man
I wish the following things in RE7:

.- all new main characters, I don't want Leon, Chris, Jill, Ada, whatever playable, cameos are o.k but I think all the popular cast needs to be put to rest.

.- A game that is clearly designed for a single player experience, co-op only in a minigame or a DLC game or somewhere else, not in my main 20 hours campaign. Or at least not a requierement to enjoy the game

.- A story as intriguing as RE4, that makes you believe something absolutely terrible has happened somewhere in a hidden part of the world.

.- Classy, artsy locales with lots of sad, gray, silent-hilly ambience and atmosphere. O.k you are going for the COD crowd, but at least try to remember this used to be survival horror...

watch as RE7 turns into the exact oposite. More Gears of War, more explosions, plenty of zombies, mediocre story, big cities, 4 player coop mandatory to enjoy the game, otherwise deal with shitty AI from your "partner"

Mendoza

I'm an avid RE collector and buying all editions (regular, collectors and special editions) and all the regions (EU, NA, JP) is usually expensive... but with RE6, it was a crazy amount.

Do you have a picture of your collection? I would love to see it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn I didn't know you were rich.
Rich? LOL. It's all prioritizing man.
Do you have a picture of your collection? I would love to see it.
I just recently moved and all my stuff is all over the place - so no good pictures yet! I'll gladly take a couple of good ones once I fix a nice spot for everything!

Mendoza

Rich? LOL. It's all prioritizing man.

I just recently moved and all my stuff is all over the place - so no good pictures yet! I'll gladly take a couple of good ones once I fix a nice spot for everything!

When you do, create a stealth bragging thread titled "Post your ridiculous collection from a single franchise." I'll be there.

monome

Procedurally generated environments in post zombie apocalypse world.

then they just make it like Deep Down with players able to co-op, solo, with emphasis on discovery and dread.

twenty years after RE6. with some mainstay characters already dead. and some new characters that pretty have only known a zombie devasted world.

still conspiracy at work but due to the state of the world it's not the focus of the first 2/3 of the game.
Ending is not a happy back to normal affair.

keeps the game running online post story completion with focus on building communities and exploring places to acquire weapons/food etc...

DedValve

Banned
Wow this is creepy, just now I was looking through an old RE5 forum remembering the times before the game came out and reading my uber fanboyish excited posts...:(

Then I go to neogaf and see this on the top of the page.

Meh, I bought RE6 a few weeks ago on sale (technically free as I bought defiance and Tekken TT2 and got RE6 free) and only played through 3 campaigns before giving up.

The game design is flawed and stupid. No hope left for this series.

Daante

Didnt RE 6 sell like 5-6 million copies? , that would somewhat equal profit for Capcom yes/no??

I wonder how things are run at the top in a game company, when things like this happens.

When they sell a lot of copies = profit , but the majority of the fan base didnt like their game (?)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Procedurally generated environments in post zombie apocalypse world.

then they just make it like Deep Down with players able to co-op, solo, with emphasis on discovery and dread.

I like this idea, though not necessarily for RE7. If they made a F2P or $20 downloadable game that had the shooting mechanics of RE4/5/6 and randomized environments with treasures and upgrades, that could be a good time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When you do, create a stealth bragging thread titled "Post your ridiculous collection from a single franchise." I'll be there.
Haha, not a bad idea! But I'm not GAF's #1 RE collector I don't think!

Gbraga

Wow this is creepy, just now I was looking through an old RE5 forum remembering the times before the game came out and reading my uber fanboyish excited posts...:(

Then I go to neogaf and see this on the top of the page.

Meh, I bought RE6 a few weeks ago on sale (technically free as I bought defiance and Tekken TT2 and got RE6 free) and only played through 3 campaigns before giving up.

The game design is flawed and stupid. No hope left for this series.

Now play mercs to justify your purchase. Best part of the game by far.

And while I do understand that fans of the series don't want RE being good for Mercs only, there's nothing wrong with keeping that while making a better campaign, so I hope they do.

News Bot

Banned
For the record, there has never been one point in history that CAPCOM has not begun work on a new game in this series immediately after, or even during the last one. It has literally never had a single "breather" point.

Not really news, just confirmation.

They probably have more than one game in development, too.

monome

also, if RE7 fails to copy/acknowledge Last of Us, media outlets, who gave the latest near perfect scores, will whoop RE7 ass if only to maitain their creds.

Capcom needs to copy/enrich the LOU formula. there is no turning back after RE6 debacle and LOU success.

Senoculum

RE6 was good. Could have been better if they slowed it down a notch. I thought I'd never say this, but there were too many explosions and running around in war torn settings. Kinda distracting.

The best moments were when it was quiet; or when you fight a new enemy one-on-one.

The multiple scenarios were awesome on paper, and I think they were pretty close to getting it right. If they can refine that, then it'll be awesome.

Also, please have a CLEARER story. Though the stakes were high and mighty in RE6, a clear cut-villain with motives were needed. And adding a mystery that's not so obvious from the start would be nice. RE2 is unsurpassed in the presentation of the story - so much DRAMA.

My favourite franchise, and I'm excited to see those NEXT GEN ZOMBIES.

DedValve

Banned
Now play mercs to justify your purchase. Best part of the game by far.

And while I do understand that fans of the series don't want RE being good for Mercs only, there's nothing wrong with keeping that while making a better campaign, so I hope they do.

I already mentioned in another thread why I don't like mercs, lack of bringing up the UI button reliably (LB being replaced by taunt wtf), 3 MAPS, not enough people playing, 3 maps.

The controls are fun but mercs was probably the biggest let down since I ONLY got this game because I'd though "well at least mercs will be fun". How wrong I was and I loved RE5 mercs.

News Bot

Banned
also, if RE7 fails to copy/acknowledge Last of Us, media outlets, who gave the latest near perfect scores, will whoop RE7 ass if only to maitain their creds.

Capcom needs to copy/enrich the LOU formula. there is no turning back after RE6 debacle and LOU success.

This is also very worrisome, as CAPCOM aren't very good at taking cues from other games. That's something they attempted to do using Dead Space as a reference... and it didn't go well.

Jarnet87

Capcpom wants return to RE roots, makes 7 even more action schlock garbage. I'll believe it when I see it, until then my body is ready for the trolling.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like I'm the only one who loved RE6.

Yeah, it has flaws... but it was still a great game.

Resident Evil 6 is either the best third person shooter ever made, or the second best depending on how I feel about Vanquish at the time. Can't wait to see what they come up with and hopefully they design the campaign more around the stellar mechanics this time. Although that's not to say it never used them.

And of course bring back the Mercs <3

Whompa

Dear Capcom,

Make a single story in a single location with two characters who get separated early on. Make them survive the horror in that single location. You did it before really well. You can do it again.

Thanks,

P.S - No Luchador wrestling combos and QTEs please.

I feel like I'm the only one who loved RE6.

Yeah, it has flaws... but it was still a great game.

The bad outweighed the good. It has it's moments and I actually really liked the protagonists...even if there were WAY too many. The actual game though is extremely weak.

I can't be the only one who didn't see what was wrong with 6. It's certainly not the best RE, but, at least when I've played it, everything functioned perfectly well and the gunplay was some of the most fun I've had with a shooter. I'm not saying anyone is wrong in saying it sucked, I just didn't see anything that stuck out as bad enough to warrant the hate the game attracts.

Either way, I hope this a reboot, because love it or hate it, after 6 there's almost nowhere to go in that continuity. Unless we get an adaptation of the Rebecca novel that follows her and her sexy spy adventures with mind control zombies. That, or a while new co-op adventure featuring Barry and his now bad-ass daughter fighting against something or other.

Goliath

If I recall correctly they said that they are taking inspiration from Last of Us and Tomb Raider (2013). They said they would go back to their horror survival themes.

I hope this is true and with the Leon campaigns being the popular ones in RE6 I think they would go back. I think going co op in RE is a mistake and takes away what made RE fun.

antitrop

Best case scenario is a fairly new direction for the franchise.

Continuing with the direction of 6 will make me incredibly spiteful. Oh, well, at least we have The Evil Within, the real next Resident Evil.

If I recall correctly they said that they are taking inspiration from Last of Us and Tomb Raider (2013). They said they would go back to their horror survival themes.

I hope this is true and with the Leon campaigns being the popular ones in RE6 I think they would go back. I think going co op in RE is a mistake and takes away what made RE fun.

the day just keeps getting worse and worse!

Best case scenario is a fairly new direction for the franchise.

Continuing with the direction of 6 will make me incredibly spiteful. Oh, well, at least we have The Evil Within, the real next Resident Evil.

the footage for the evil within has not been very promising unless you like forced walk and talks and spooky corridors where you hold forward

unless I have missed something

Whompa

I can't be the only one who didn't see what was wrong with 6.

Ada's campaign was broken and the camera during the Chris/Piers last boss running scenario was totally broken in co-op. All of the driving segments were atrocious ps1 quality crap. The counter QTE's ruined any suspense it had.

There's four immediately off the top of my head.

Their PR team is notorious for bs.

Top Bottom