• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 seems to have begun development immediately after 6?

KDC720

I liked 6 too, but there is no denying that the game had some serious flaws.

Leon and Chris's campaigns are the only good ones, and even Leon's goes downhill fast once he gets to China. Jake and Ada's campaigns feature some terrible design decisions as well.

If 7 isn't going to be a reboot, then they need to narrow the focus a bit. Have only 2 campaigns this time, most likely Jake and some other new character. Remove co-op, or handle it like Dead Space 3 did. Keep the gameplay mechanics from 6 intact, but remove the emphasis on QTE's. Also, the game doesn't have to make me crap my pants, but at least try to make it tense and atmospheric.

Goliath

the day just keeps getting worse and worse!

the footage for the evil within has not been very promising unless you like forced walk and talks and spooky corridors where you hold forward

unless I have missed something

Why? I can see elements of these games improving on the existing formula for RE. Realtime building of weapons or weapon modification like the Last of US. Limited ammo, and weapons like Tomb Raider and LoU.

I mean the only way we can get a true RE game is for them to go back to tight spaces and small rooms with limited weapons. Or they could just do what the Last of Us does and make bigger areas with the ability to sneak.

antitrop

I can't be the only one who didn't see what was wrong with 6.

- Single player and online campaigns are astronomically less fun than "couch co-op". The "way the game was meant to be played" will actually be played that way by very few

- Playing the game in single player feels like a complete afterthought.

- Boss fights are painfully anticlimactic, require no interesting strategy, and are reused throughout the four campaigns.

- Launch problems that were patched (Basically everything that the first important title update fixed, which were some major issues)

- Leon tripping over zombies like a bitch

- Awful graphics that are actually inferior to RE5

- Awful pacing, after 30 hours with the game I still hadn't even finished

- No tutorial, very little explanation of mechanics

- Nonsense story

- Unlikable characters, even characters that used to be likable previously (looking at you CHRIS FUCKING REDFIELD)

- Ada campaign is extremely short and just recycled assets from the other three campaigns

- Multiple campaigns causes a complete lack of coherency. Coherency is the single biggest problem with the game.

- Frustratingly uninteresting and poorly acted cutscenes, but with absolutely no "camp" value or appreciability

Obviously I'm leaving out everything the game did well, because you just asked for the shit.

Whompa

I just wanted Jake and Sherry's campaign to be good...I was actually interested in "new" characters. Maybe next time.

Obviously I'm leaving out everything the game did well, because you just asked for the shit.

There's really not even much to leave out...

Dylan

This is strange to me because usually developers take 5 months off to play Street Fighter before starting their next project.

Whompa

Well that motorcycle chase was horrifying...ly bad.

That and Chris/Piers chasing fake Ada (btw that whole fake Ada shit was beyond stupid) in the Ferrari were the most ridiculous cast outs of lore and believably I think in any franchise ever made.

- Mercs mode
- Exceptional combat mechanics, once you learn the controls

That's about it.

they need to get rid of that counter QTE shit though, and remove the luchador wrestling for something less ridiculous...

I liked some of the hero character designs if we're going to be fair. Sherry had a pretty nice set of designs.

All of that is super subjective. I had no problem with the story or characters. I had a ton of fun with the game and really appreciated the length. What I'm seeing a lack of are issues that are absolutely objectively game breaking, because I just didn't notice or experience any of the technical issues anyone else had and personally didn't feel the story was all that bad. Let's be honest, Resident Evil stories and characters (With the exception of Leon) have always been pretty terrible. I love those characters and games, but I can see that they're shallow, silly and overall not exactly well written.

The main issue people have that I completely disagree with is the supposed lack of camp. Does anyone else remember the scene where Jake
kung-fu fights a zombie man or suplexes the giant guy chasing him the whole game?
That combined with the constant cheesy lines and tropey writing make 6 possibly the campiest Resident Evil.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, you guys are making it sound like the game was awful. It had a few bad design decisions but RE6 was one of my favorite games of 2012 and indeed this generation (no, I'm not exaggerating). I actually enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot more than RE4, which I was unable to bring myself to ever finish.

The combat mechanics are sublime and Mercenaries is digital crack. I thought the graphics were good for current gen systems, and the characters were plenty likeable. I thought the cutscenes were extremely well done and yeah, the story was cheesy and lame, but hey it's Resident Evil after all. And the length, if anything, is a plus. How often do you get 30+ hour campaigns in shooters these days? This sort of thing should be commended, not criticized.

The only part of the game I truly hated was Ada's campaign, which I thought was just riddled with frustrations and not fun at all to play.

Man, you guys are making it sound like the game was awful. It had a few bad design decisions but RE6 was one of my favorite games of 2012 and indeed this generation (no, I'm not exaggerating). I actually enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot more than RE4, which I was unable to bring myself to ever finish.

The combat mechanics are sublime and Mercenaries is digital crack. I thought the graphics were good for current gen systems, and the characters were plenty likeable. I thought the cutscenes were extremely well done and yeah, the story was cheesy and lame, but hey it's Resident Evil after all.

The only part of the game I truly hated was Ada's campaign, which I thought was just riddled with frustrations and not fun at all to play.

Take out the RE4 stuff and this is pretty much the way I see the game. It's a perfectly competent Resident Evil game with great shooting mechanics.

Whompa

The main issue people have that I completely disagree with is the supposed lack of camp. Does anyone else remember the scene where Jake
kung-fu fights a zombie man or suplexes the giant guy chasing him the whole game?
That combined with the constant cheesy lines and tropey writing make 6 possibly the campiest Resident Evil.

The pacing is the problem. This could have been funny or goofy, but it's not because the pacing sucks.

The pacing is not subjective. It's a mess. It's a story without storytelling.

antitrop

The pacing is the problem. This could have been funny or goofy, but it's not because the pacing sucks.

The pacing is not subjective. It's a mess.
Resident Evil 4 is as much an example of perfect pacing as Resident Evil 6 is an example of disastrous and unbearable pacing.

Squire

Banned
Best case scenario is a fairly new direction for the franchise.

Continuing with the direction of 6 will make me incredibly spiteful. Oh, well, at least we have The Evil Within, the real next Resident Evil.

Yep. Hopefully RE7 will be good, but with Mikami doing his thing, it's not really worth sweating over.

It's a story without storytelling.

Sounds about like a b-movie, which is what RE6 is, through and through. Sure, that might be objectively and technically not high quality, but it's what Reaident Evil has always been, and it's unreasonable to assume this will have a more cohesive story. Remember Wesker's plan in 5? It's as convoluted as anything in 6, there's just more of 6 to lose track of.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Hopefully RE7 will be good, but with Mikami doing his thing, it's not really worth sweating over.

I dunno dude, the videos I saw of Evil Within looked really hamfisted with awkward animations and a whole lot of stilted "scares." I really hope Mikami does a great job because his games are great (REmake being my favorite RE game ever), but I wonder if he still has the magic.

Levito

Banned
Resident Evil has lost it's way entirely, I've been with the franchise since before Resident Evil 2 even came out and at this point--it's probably best to either reboot or stop making them.

Seeing Resident Evil reach the levels of trash that Resident evil 6 did is heartbreaking.

Normally this would be cause to celebrate, but after the last couple of RE games, I'm not in the least bit excited.

The fact that it entered development as soon as RE6 was released just adds to the general lack of feeling I have at this news. The fact that I don't feel anything is probably more depressing than anything Capcom can throw at us...this used to be one of my beloved game series and to see it fall in quality as it has is just heartbreaking.

Whompa

Resident Evil 4 is as much an example of perfect pacing as Resident Evil 6 is an example of disastrous and unbearable pacing.

THIS 100%

Also, open question to people who didn't find RE6 to be a complete miss:

If someone asked, "what's Resident Evil 6 like?" What would the answer be? What words would personify that game?

RE4 is easy. RE1 and 2 are easy. Resident Evil 5 is not even that difficult to describe, but you cannot coherently describe RE6 in a few words because it's a complete mess.

Zombie game set in Europe, China, a boat, An underground lair, motorcycle riding down buildings, NEO umbrella, Wesker's son is here, and gun wrestling combos and Chris Redfield is sad and some no name has a new virus and HOLY SHIT IT DOES NOT END...

Sounds about like a b-movie, which is what RE6 is, through and through. Sure, that might be objectively and technically not high quality, but it's what Reaident Evil has always been, and it's unreasonable to assume this will have a more cohesive story. Remember Wesker's plan in 5? It's as convoluted as anything in 6, there's just more of 6 to lose track of.

B movies are actually enjoyable.

Squire

Banned
Same assets
Same QTEs
Same action packed akshun

Resident Evil has lost it's way entirely, I've been with the franchise since before Resident Evil 2 even came out and at this point--it's probably best to either reboot or stop making them.

Seeing Resident Evil reach the levels of trash that Resident evil 6 did is heartbreaking.

imriepngvub9ybxjpk.gif

#T
EARS

antitrop

Zombie game set in Europe, China, a boat, An underground lair, motorcycle riding down buildings, NEO umbrella, Wesker's son is here, and gun wrestling combos and Chris Redfield is sad and some no name has a new virus and HOLY SHIT IT DOES NOT END...
Fucking exactly.

RE6 is video game development ADD personified.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
THIS 100%

If someone asked, "what's Resident Evil 6 like?" What would the answer be? What words would personify that game?

RE4 is easy. RE1 and 2 are easy. Resident Evil 5 is not even that difficult to describe, but you cannot coherently describe RE6 in a few words because it's a complete mess.

Oh please, if you wanted to list out every single action/location then any game would sound retarded. Uncharted 2 is a pulp adventure shooter starring a descendant of Sir Francis Drake set in Borneo, a Turkish museum, in/on/around a speeding train, the depths of a temple hidden away in the Himalayas, where he has a love triangle with a scorned lover and his love interest from the prequel, is betrayed by his friend and then busted out prison by his older friend, he can do punch combos, wears pretty much the same shirt the entire game, there is some multiplayer and a horde mode and HOLY SHIT IT DOES NOT END....

The way I would describe RE6 is it's a third person action game where you fight zombies and other mutants in a bid to prevent a global zombie outbreak. Simple enough?

Whompa

Zombie mechs with lasers

Give me that game. I'll forgive RE6 if they just lose their minds completely.

Hell, mix the Dino Crises franchise into Resident Evil. They practically did with RE6's T-rex boss that turns into a jaguar that turns into a saber tooth tiger that turns into a giant mosquito that turns back into a saber tooth tiger.

Oh please, if you wanted to list out every single action/location then any game would sound retarded. Uncharted 2 is a pulp adventure shooter starring a descendant of Sir Francis Drake set in Borneo, a Turkish museum, in/on/around a speeding train, the depths of a temple hidden away in the Himalayas, where he has a love triangle with a scorned lover and his love interest from the prequel, is betrayed by his friend and then busted out prison by his older friend, he can do punch combos, wears pretty much the same shirt the entire game, there is some multiplayer and a horde mode and HOLY SHIT IT DOES NOT END....

The way I would describe RE6 is it's a third person action game where you fight zombies and other mutants in a bid to prevent a global zombie outbreak. Simple enough?

Uncharted had a flowing narrative. RE6 is so overstuffed with subplot that you lose the entire point of the game's original story. Who is this about? The focus is all over the map. Capcom needs to chill on that, big time.

G-Fex

THIS 100%

B movies are actually enjoyable.

You forgot the college thing. Tall Oaks I think. Also Snow levels with cabins and stuff.

EXPLOSIONS!!111 , POISON IVY PLANT LADY SISTER, MINE CARTS!

antitrop

... Resident Evil started out a survival horror game in a single mansion and Uncharted is an Indiana Jones, globe-hopping, relic hunting adventure game.

You trying to be serious right now? I feel like Uncharted is probably the worst example you could have picked to try to make your point.

Resident Evil 6's lack of coherency is more akin to a Call of Duty game.

King Boo

i better be able to play as chris, jill, and claire along with whatever new characters they put in this one. and zombie wesker

kitanii

Banned
I do not understand how they could ruin the combat system/general movement controls in RE6. Going from RE4 the controls and combat system used in RE5 felt really solid and smart. Logical improvements if you like. Going from RE5 to RE6 you roll around on the floor like a moron, you jump up and down with every single step while moving and shooting, the character you're playing as just waves around his/her legs and arms while using melee. None of which packs any kind of punch at all which in turn makes them useless.

Riposte

Seems unlikely at this point, I hope they continue and refine RE6 as a base for the next game. Lots of room for improvement and, more importantly, lots of potential. Japanese action games with that scale and variety is exciting prospect, but likely a fleeting one. Something retrogressive like Revelations is a dead end, but the "fans" have spoken

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
... Resident Evil started out a survival horror game in a single mansion and Uncharted is an Indiana Jones, globe-hopping, relic hunting adventure game.

You trying to be serious right now? I feel like Uncharted is probably the worst example you could have picked to try to make your point.

Resident Evil 6's lack of coherency is more akin to a Call of Duty game.

I think this is the source of our differing opinions on the game. The people who dislike RE6 want it to be a traditional RE game, whereas I play it for what it is - a globe hopping action game.

If we were to judge it by the standards of being an RE game? Then yes, it is awful. It may be the worst possible "RE" game ever made.

But as an action shooter? It is easily one of the best.

I do not understand how they could ruin the combat system/general movement controls in RE6. Going from RE4 the controls and combat system used in RE5 felt really solid and smart. Logical improvements if you like. Going from RE5 to RE6 you roll around on the floor like a moron, you jump up and down with every single step while moving and shooting, the character you're playing as just waves around his/her legs and arms while using melee. None of which packs any kind of punch at all which in turn makes them useless.

I don't say this very often but you really didn't play the game correctly if you think melee is useless.

Whompa

Seems unlikely at this point, I hope they continue and refine RE6 as a base for the next game. Lots of room for improvement and, more importantly, lots of potential. Japanese action games with that scale and variety is exciting prospect, but likely a fleeting one. Something retrogressive like Revelations is a dead end, but the "fans" have spoken

I just hope RE6 lost money so they know they need to change direction with the next iteration...actually, I honestly don't care anymore. They burned me with 5 and then 6 was the nail.

They're going to have to change up a lot to get me back on board. Never again buying a game with the title, "Resident Evil ___" without waiting to hear from someone first.

If we were to judge it by the standards of being an RE game? Then yes, it is awful. It may be the worst possible "RE" game ever made.

But as an action shooter? It is easily one of the best.

It COULD be a good action shooter if the counter QTE didn't remove all challenge. The only challenge left is just pressing a button at the right time. If I want more of that, I'll play Whack-A-Mole.

Fans have spoken by not buying Revelations? I think that probably has more to do with the bitter taste RE6 and ORC (to a lesser extent) left in a lot of fans mouths.

Top Bottom