• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Box Art & Screen Shot [leak out on Xbox.com]

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can't believe my hope for a Revelations 2 is on the money. I was thinking when I played Revelations on PC last year that it'd be cool if a sequel was set in a prison, though on that I was hoping that prison would be in a jungle, with a secret bunker laboratory but much darker and grittier than previous RE labs (like a gorilla lab), and that'd it'd be made for consoles instead of handhelds.

Also if the above ends up being a thing and there's enemies that are kind of like the Ooze, but more blood based rather than water-based, then I'm a fucking psychic.

Neff

Those lamenting cross gen should consider that this game will most likely have a modest budget compared to something like 5, 6, or even 4. Making a game with content and spectacle with dedicated next gen visuals won't be possible at that level. We can expect a massive budget RE7 to be PS4/Bone only once each of those platforms reaches 20-30m apiece.

Also, while I think it's a shame there's no Wii U version mentioned yet, if the game is running on MT Framework again (which it probably will be), then a Wii U version would come out last performance-wise, since it struggles with the engine compared to PS3, and particularly 360 which shows it off best.

So is Resident Evil Capcom's new mascot?

It's their chief money-maker and their most recognised brand, so I'd say yeah it probably is these days.

Dusk Golem

So is Resident Evil Capcom's new mascot?

I'm not sure mascot, but if you look at Capcom's sales (and combine all versions of RE4, which for some reason are counted separately between the different releases), four of the top five all time best selling Capcom games are Resident Evil games, and their top-selling game of all time is a RE game.

LAA

Cool, but I think its pretty sad when the game became a hit on a portable console, and then they decide to forget the market that made it successful and port it elsewhere.

I see how it makes sense to do it, (And me personally I'd prefer it on consoles anyway), but I hope they just don't forget the market that proved revelations was successful.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, I liked Revelations for what it was. I hope 2 cuts out the mindless shooting sections completely (or at least makes them a bit more diversive).

Pretty sure they'll bring back Claire with this one.

How big's the chance that this one won't have this bio terrorism bullshit in it?

I can't believe my hope for a Revelations 2 is on the money. I was thinking when I played Revelations on PC last year that it'd be cool if a sequel was set in a prison, though on that I was hoping that prison would be in a jungle, with a secret bunker laboratory but much darker and grittier than previous RE labs (like a gorilla lab), and that'd it'd be made for consoles instead of handhelds.

Resident Evil is truly one of the rare franchises in which I believe suggestions from fans would actually be a good thing.

Dusk Golem

Well, I liked Revelations for what it was. I hope 2 cuts out the mindless shooting sections completely (or at least makes them a bit more diversive).

Pretty sure they'll bring back Claire with this one.

How big's the chance that this one won't have this bio terrorism bullshit in it?

I'd assume pretty low. On account I'd imagine a sequel to Revelations will follow up on some of the purposeful loose threads brought up in the first Revelations ending, and judging that the setting we know of so far looks like a gritty prison, I have to suspect there's some human experimentation going on here.

Sadist

Well I liked Revelaitons, so sure bring it on.

Hopefully a PC release as well. And if we're getting a 3DS release, I'd buy it. Playing the original on the system is great and more importantly, it has the unnerved version of Raid mode.

Dusk Golem

Another xbox exclusive?

Probably not, though the Xbox version was the one that leaked the news.

I find weird that the cover is ready before the game is even announced though.

The game has apparently been in development for almost two years, I am guessing they want to release the game closer to announcing it. There's been mumblings among big RE fan site leaders about the game for about half a year now. I'm making a guess that whenever they announce this (which I believe to be soon) they plan to release it pretty shortly afterwards, maybe a couple months or something. Capcom have talked about shortening development time on games recently, and with the original Revelations there was a big gap between announcement and release, and the final game looked nothing like the initial announcement. They announced Revelations the First too soon, with this I guess they want to announce it much later in development.

nikatapi

I'd love to play this on my 3DS just because of the 3D, but it's kind of understandable it's probably not happening since it will sell more on the consoles. Will probably play on Xbox 360 or PC.

When the rumor started, I figured that Capcom wanted to keep the action oriented gameplay in the mainline series so the Revelations games would be produced to cater to the old school fans.
It kinda makes sense. I'm not saying the first Revelations succeeded in that regard but that could be what they're going for.
Having 2 series being produced in parallel would also allow them to make RE a yearly franchise.

Seyavesh

Is it in dev in Japan? Or maybe Capcom Vancouver?
I'd imagine it's a MT framework game again which would suggest Capcom Japan considering that I don't think they've let that engine out of Japan's Dev teams yet. Plus Capcom Vancouver has been working on DR3 DLC and the PC version, right?

Jawmuncher

I'd imagine it's a MT framework game again which would suggest Capcom Japan considering that I don't think they've let that engine out of Japan's Dev teams yet. Plus Capcom Vancouver has been working on DR3 DLC and the PC version, right?

They're supposed to be working on a new IP unless is was scrapped as well.

New?

Anyway I'm not surprised box art has been leaked at this stage. It's been in production for a while already.
So will this be a return to Survival Horror where Resident Evil Remaster design is template, or will we get another try of balancing action and survival horror !!

I wonder if DmC Remaster Edition is true as well.

Fehyd

Banned
When the rumor started, I figured that Capcom wanted to keep the action oriented gameplay in the mainline series so the Revelations games would be produced to cater to the old school fans.
It kinda makes sense. I'm not saying the first Revelations succeeded in that regard but that could be what they're going for.
Having 2 series being produced in parallel would also allow them to make RE a yearly franchise.

That's actually something I'm hoping for. I'd like to play both the action style and the slower paced games. I don't want to have play one at the exclusion of the other.

PooBone

I believe it. I remember when they ported the first Revelations to console they said "We'll be watching sales for this very closely" and people thought it meant if the game didn't sell well then the Resident Evil franchise would just come to an end (after 6)

Seems more likely they were deciding whether to go Revelations 2 or RE7.

I didn't play the first one, should I? In my opinion every Resident Evil has been worse than the last (with the exception of the REmake)

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I can't say I like Jill outside of RE1. I much prefer Claire to both Jill and Chris. A shame she hasn't been a main protagonist anymore.

tkscz

Just saying this now, if it does get a 3DS release, it's going to be digital only. Capcom pretty much banks off the eShop. Even RE:R gets on the best sellers list at least once a month. Hell, after Ace Attorney V, I can't see Capcom ever doing physical 3DS games.

sörine

Banned
Most 3DS games are handheld games. If they literally put a PS3/PS4/X360/XONE game on the 3DS, then it is a console game on a handheld. And in this case, there is even the option of buying the console game itself. So again, VITA is relevant to look at.
I mean that's not how it worked out for Capcom's other 3DS/console multiplatform releases. Even day and date stuff like MH3U or EXTroopers sold more on 3DS than console. Given how badly Revelations HD bombed in the west, I'm reasonably sure a 3DS version wouldn't end up the worst selling worldwide.

Vita isn't relevant at all, that's sort of the point. It's a dead system everywhere but Japan so any comparisons are meaningless. That's so obvious I'm not really sure why I have to make it clear for you?

I'd love to play this on my 3DS just because of the 3D, but it's kind of understandable it's probably not happening since it will sell more on the consoles. Will probably play on Xbox 360 or PC.

The 3D was great on 3DS...

and on PC. I played the whole campaign in 3D on PC.

Xpliskin

Again, chances were high because it got hinted at by two completely unrelated sources.

Some more info at 206 for those that missed it.

hoping this does away with the mission structure of the first game along with the boring 'shoot everything' sessions.

The mission structure came from the fact that it was designed as a portable game. I don't expect it to be back. Everything that wasn't Jill in the first game needs to die in a fire, horrible levels.

Valnen

Revelations was a decent attempt of bringing back the horror to Resident Evil, but I think the limitations of being on a handheld held it back. I'm sad that this game might not come to the 3DS like the original one, but with more powerful hardware, I feel confident that this game will be all the better for it. Though considering this is modern Capcom, I expect less horror, more co-op, and zombie shark punching with Barry Burton dressed up like this:

ecz10.jpg

"What is this?"

Mercenaries mode isn't supposed to be horror. The silly costumes in it add to the fun too.

Hot damn.
As if my recent Resident Evil hype wasnt enough. Then this comes along.
Jheeze.

Would be shocking if this is an xbox exclusive.
Also, yes I am already pissed that there will probably be no WiiU version.

djshauny

Banned
Hot damn.
As if my recent Resident Evil hype wasnt enough. Then this comes along.
Jheeze.

Would be shocking if this is an xbox exclusive.
Also, yes I am already pissed that there will probably be no WiiU version.

I was just thinking it might be exclusive to xbox lol.

Just saying this now, if it does get a 3DS release, it's going to be digital only. Capcom pretty much banks off the eShop. Even RE:R gets on the best sellers list at least once a month. Hell, after Ace Attorney V, I can't see Capcom ever doing physical 3DS games.
Have you seen Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate?

Top Bottom