• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of man, finished game trailer

Wollan said:
It's about to happen. Like last time the last slide is the most intriguing. Give me just 5 chapters more damnit. :lol

This is the second time Einstein has been making weapons in a alternative history game. In Red Alert he made the Tesla Coil among other things if I'm not mistaken.
Did he call it the Einstein Coil?
What happened to Nikola Tesla?

Kodiak said:
Yeah it would be awesome demoing your game to people like that.

"Yeah, if you'll just bear with me, I need to find a health pack, and OH SHIT, lemme just kill these mother ****ers. Ok I died, it will only be a minute folks! I assure you the big spider thing at the end of the demo is really impressive."

The hype would be through the roof.

:lol

Superbone

Wow. Somehow, I have totally missed any and all info about this title. I'm not even into FPSes but now I've got to have this game. Watching the trailer gave me the DOOM vibe from days of yore. Then I realized it's made by Insomniac. Score! Inexpensive game for me (ftw, as the kids are saying these days). :D

Superbone said:
Wow. Somehow, I have totally missed any and all info about this title. I'm not even into FPSes but now I've got to have this game. Watching the trailer gave me the DOOM vibe from days of yore. Then I realized it's made by Insomniac. Score! Inexpensive game for me (ftw, as the kids are saying these days). :D

you still with Sony? what game are you working on?

Superbone said:
MLB '07 (for the rest of my life, it seems...)

shit that blows. I wish Sony would give you guys another chance! Maybe you should ask the lead designer to come up with an awesome concept or something.

btw nice to see you posting here again (typing in the dark sux -_-)

6145b5db21.jpg

6dbccff93f.jpg

e8255b4093.jpg

f2ad152d7b.jpg

49e7a44d9f.jpg

f6e68f4c77.jpg

abda602dd6.jpg

f6e68f4c77.jpg

Heh, that's a nifty shot. :D Going by the playbeyond footage that scatter/richote gun seems to be the weapon of choice for those little bastards. At least in confined spaces.

Orobi

Uhm.... this game looks better every time new screeshots appears...
Nice look, it seems very "full" of effects and models at every scene.

Kittonwy

Banned
dark10x said:
Dude, I actually finished Perfect Dark Zero (so very awful, it was) and Prey on XBOX360. Those babies sure as hell aren't 30 fps constant. Just check my achievements on Live and you'll see. :D

Why? There ARE other games to play.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wow the dynamic lighting (mentioned by Ted Price in the PlayBeyond trailer to be using the SPUs) is actually quite subtle:

e8255b4093.jpg

jett

D-Member
Kittonwy said:
Wow the dynamic lighting (mentioned by Ted Price in the PlayBeyond trailer to be using the SPUs) is actually quite subtle:

e8255b4093.jpg

There's no dynamic lighting in this game, uses pre-baked shadows on everything.

jett

D-Member
Doom_Bringer said:
There is a level with a flashlight, the gun fire lights up the environments. Know your facts n00b

It "lights up" the environments, but I don't remember any shadowing.

jett said:
It "lights up" the environments, but I don't remember any shadowing.

Shadow's don't matter, the fact is this game has dynamic lighting which effects the environment.

But yeah a full blown engine with dynamic shadowing and dynamic lighting would be killer! But it would hurt performance big time

jett

D-Member
Doom_Bringer said:
Shadow's don't matter, the fact is this game has dynamic lighting which effects the environment.

But yeah a full blown engine with dynamic shadowing and dynamic lighting would be killer! But it would hurt performance big time

Back when SH3 came out I thought that kind of shadowing effects would be the minimum...last gen! Meh.

jett said:
Back when SH3 came out I thought that kind of shadowing effects would be the minimum...last gen! Meh.

Insomniac is a n00b developer with little tech experience. The only reason why Ratchet games looked good was because of the Naughty Dog's help and this is the first time they are working on a hardware alone. They haven't worked with shaders before, none of their previous games had self shadowing etc...

This is their own in house engine so it will take them some time to learn all the new stuff and apply it with degrading performance. Anyway I am pretty sure 2nd gen PS3 games by Naughty Dog, SCEE and other top developers will have self shadowing and what not.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just in case anyone's getting the impression that Doom_Bringer is pretty knowledgeable about Insomniac and Naughty Dog, please take the following into account:

- He just discovered last month that one of the founding members of Naughty Dog (and the man he holds primarily responsible for all of ND's technical competence), Andy Gavin, left the company last year
- He's calling Insomniac a "n00b developer with little tech experience", a company that's been around for 12 years and is developing it's ninth game.
- He thinks the only reason why Insomniac's PS2 games look good is because of ND's help despite Ted Price, founder of Insomniac, making it very clear that they only used a small portion of ND's code, who also used some of theirs in return: http://blogs.ign.com/Ted-Insomniac/2006/09

kaching said:
Just in case anyone's getting the impression that Doom_Bringer is pretty knowledgeable about Insomniac and Naughty Dog, please take the following into account:

- He just discovered last month that one of the founding members of Naughty Dog (and the man he holds primarily responsible for all of ND's technical competence), Andy Gavin, left the company last year
- He's calling Insomniac a "n00b developer with little tech experience", a company that's been around for 12 years and is developing it's ninth game.
- He thinks the only reason why Insomniac's PS2 games look good is because of ND's help despite Ted Price, founder of Insomniac, making it very clear that they only used a small portion of ND's code, who also used some of theirs in return: http://blogs.ign.com/Ted-Insomniac/2006/09

Ok I changed my opinion on ND after reading some interviews and blogs (See ND game set in Bermuda Triangle thread)

About Insomniac, I was just responding to jett. He says dynamic lighting and shadowing should be standard today and he is 100% correct. I never said Resistance looks horrible or anything like that! All I said was they will learn how to implement dynamic shadowing and lighting as they gain more experience and as they toy with the hardware (cause even if you look at the Battlefield 2 engine, it is very poor at 100% dynamic lighting and shadowing).

All that being said, Resistance will be by far the best looking FPS in the market when it comes out. Just the amount of stuff going on the screen is mind blowing and it makes me appreciate both the hardware and Insomniac’s tech abilities

So sorry about all the ignorance

Rody

kaching said:

There you have it. End of discussion.

I don't know if this has already been posted, but there's a video at the japanese PLAY B3YOND website that features Ted Price sharing his thoughts on "Resistance".

Link: http://www.playbeyond.jp/main.html?item=item19

He's a very cool dude. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
About Insomniac, I was just responding to jett. He says dynamic lighting and shadowing should be standard today and he is 100% correct. I never said Resistance looks horrible or anything like that! All I said was they will learn how to implement dynamic shadowing and lighting as they gain more experience and as they toy with the hardware (cause even if you look at the Battlefield 2 engine, it is very poor at 100% dynamic lighting and shadowing).
Just because they're not implementing dynamic lighting and shadowing to the extent you think they should doesn't warrant calling them a n00b developer who has no idea how to make a visually appealing game on their own.

kaching said:
Just because they're not implementing dynamic lighting and shadowing to the extent you think they should doesn't warrant calling them a n00b developer who has no idea how to make a visually appealing game on their own.

You are right they are not n00bs. I don't know why I said that. But honestly Resistance looks amazingly awesome. I just love all the smoke, tracers, dust, leaves and other stuff on the screen at a fixed frame rate. They nailed the wartime atmosphere

Top Bottom