• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Online mode demonstrated in full!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
the 1 thing I like best about these videos is the total lack of lag and loginscreens. Sony might just have something going here.

JB1981

Man, you get a really good idea of how GINORMOUS the PS3 is in that new interview. Look at in relation to the 46" Sony Bravia. It's massive.

Mojovonio

Banned
That main menu is probably the ugliest main menu I have ever seen.

Though online, even though they stole the idea from Onslaught mode, looks very damn cool.

neorej said:
the 1 thing I like best about these videos is the total lack of lag and loginscreens. Sony might just have something going here.

Well, I doubt these demos are being played under real world circumstances, so the lag thing is yet to be determined.

Wollan

forgeforsaken said:
Well, I doubt these demos are being played under real world circumstances, so the lag thing is yet to be determined.

I actually played it cross pacific (Japan <--> L.A) with 29 people and it ran totally lag free.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lag is going to be dependent on who is hosting the game. I'm sure Sony (who are doing the hosting for these games) has plenty of bandwidth there. If there are dedicated servers this won't be much of an issue unless they become overburdened, as then we'd all benefit from Sony's bandwidth ;) Otherwise, though, you'll be dependent on decent connections with the people you're playing with.

Things like load times and stuff should be fairly indicative though.

Wollan said:
I actually played it cross pacific (Japan <--> L.A) with 29 people and it ran totally lag free.

And what exactly were the circumstances? Where was the server, what was the bandwidth on the line, where were the 29 other players? Were they on cable/dsl lines from home? Were you going through the internet even or was it a dedicated WAN connection?

That news of yours is encouraging, but I'm not sold that it was real world circumstances.

Wollan said:
It's pretty nice that the users themselves can host a dedicated server with this game.
Now you just need to get a second PS3. ;)

I think a lot of the standard PC game hosts-sites will gladly take up that role.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:
It's pretty nice that the users themselves can host a dedicated server with this game.

Really? Do you mind saying where that was confirmed? I'm a bit out of the loop.

(Though you would really want services that currently host PC game servers to adopt in some PS3s for PS3 games, because most people probably won't have the up-and-down bandwidth to host a server as well as those kinds of services would).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:
That was actually a couple of months ago and I can't remember where exactly. But I'm not lying to you. :lol

Sure it wasn't Warhawk? That was the game that was said to allow you set up your own dedicated server some months back.

Thinking about it, "dedicated server" functionality isn't much more than the ability to automatically create games or just leave them running in a loop, really. If the game allows you to customise a game and have them repeat over and over, then that's all you need to have a dedicated server..but of course, again you'd want someone with good bandwidth housing them.

Wollan

Ah, maybe that was how it was. Sorry about the mix up.
I know Socom as well has dedicated server functionality.

PjotrStroganov said:
I assume buying some PS3's wouldn't compare to the cost of dedicated servers.

I'm not sure how they would handle admin rights, server controls, etc. Talking about dedicated server renting specifically.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, I love the setup and maps for this game (just saw the videos). Looks to be a lot of fun. The only unsatisfying thing through video is the weapons. Not very compelling. Look forward to trying it some day.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DemonCleaner said:
why the heck aren't they able to let the player join a running game? i mean you can do this in every damned pc shooter, even in quake 3 for the dc you were able to do this.

seems like sonys online service will be the same shit as XBL for most types of games.
ok at least it won't coast you 60bucks...

I laugh at jokes like you.

kwejibo

At least this Insom game is main stream enough to acrue an online fan base. Anyone who has ever played Ratchet online should easily be able to see the similarities in the ui/gameplay/etc. Insom just had to go and make a mainstream shooter in order to pickup the fan base they have deserved for a while - which is kind of sad.

Striek

I was reading a Next-Generation Interview and noticed the following...

Kaz Hirai said:
But talking about online gameplay one of the most important things for example is that Resistance: Fall of Man will support 40 players online as well as video chat, text chat, voice chat, rankings for games, downloading additional content for your games like levels, weapons or characters depending on the game and their online capabilities.
Is this saying there is video chat in Resistance or is it just badly wrote (as the latter part of the paragraph drifts away from Resistance with no segue-way).

Striek said:
I was reading a Next-Generation Interview and noticed the following...

Is this saying there is video chat in Resistance or is it just badly wrote (as the latter part of the paragraph drifts away from Resistance with no segue-way).

Seems like it because he says video chat and voice chat so its not like they mixed the 2 up.

Top Bottom