• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast 08 Dec 06 - Virtual Console Discussion w/ Chris Kohler

Rlan

It's been a month, but we've spent that time stressing out about console launches refining the podcast format, listening to reader feedback and, uh, refining the podcast format some more.

The results, we hope you'll agree, are pleasing to both the ears and the mind. Today's episode is the longest yet, but also the best. In our opinion. Give it a download and see if you agree, won't you?

And don't miss this week's Retro Roundup. It covers much of the same material, but with printed words instead of spoken one. Sadly, though, only the podcast features occasional interludes of classic gaming music. Sorry, dudes.

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/Retronauts/120706.mp3

It's an okay discussion - it's still a little dull. Need to be more funny guys!

Also, just a mention of Crash Bandicoot - I think it's a great, basic platformer, but it was held back by a very poor saving system which screws everything up and is really frustrating. Crash 2 fixes a hell of a lot of it's problems :)

Also, I sort of thought the reasoning behind the 600 point Turbographix games was because the system was sitting in the middle of NES and Megadrive, power wise. It had a NES+ like processor with the 'nextgen' colour palette, right?

Also the discussion on having most of Nintendo's library out at the beginning is a bit flawed. Just how many people would have downloaded Star Soldier if it wasn't one of 5 games being released last week? :)

And just a question to anyone - how do YOU pronounce NES and SNES? All the podcasts I listen to call it the "N E S", or "Super N E S". Though the right way to say it, I've always said "NES" and "SNES" like "Ness". Maybe it's just a Europe / Australian thing like how we used to say "Seega" and not "Se Ga".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Rlan said:
And just a question to anyone - how do YOU pronounce NES and SNES? All the podcasts I listen to call it the "N E S", or "Super N E S". Though the right way to say it, I've always said "NES" and "SNES" like "Ness". Maybe it's just a Europe / Australian thing like how we used to say "Seega" and not "Se Ga".

That right way (N-E-S/ Super N-E-S)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe they challenge him when he says, "Nintendo should put more games up."

But I want to pine for them, there is value in pining.

WTFFLES

john tv

Super N-E-S = OK
N-E-S = OK
"Ness" = NG
...But for some reason, "Sness" is OK to me, while "S-N-E-S" is not.

Bottom line: Who knows!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Who the hell is Chris Kohler!?
What's his problem?
I've seen his name almost everywhere in the internetz, is he famous or somethin'?
:O

scarybore

Rlan said:

Maybe it is, I'm in the UK and have never ever heard anyone say the letters separately so i'm surprised by the posts in this thread. Maybe it's because We got feck all advertising on TV so we never heard how you were meant to pronounce it?

Never heard anyone say Seega though. :lol

Sjoerd

We used to called those things nintendo and super nintendo. Now it's just ness or sness. This is in The Netherlands though where we also say Tomp Raider instead of Tomb Raider.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
john tv said:
Super N-E-S = OK
N-E-S = OK
"Ness" = NG
...But for some reason, "Sness" is OK to me, while "S-N-E-S" is not.

Bottom line: Who knows!

I'm completely the opposite, NES YES SNES SNO

it is kinda strange that itunes, netflix, and other similar places are praised for their huge catalogs and immediate availability (of both classics and new releases), yet the same idea apparently can't be applied to 10-20 year old video games, because it'll somehow scare off 3rd parties making brand new games.

eh. lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i've always said Sneesss.

i always thought it was a Euro thing... NES was always NEESSSS as well.

but then again - lots of people called SAY-GA .. SEA-GA in europe....

imagine our surprise when Sonic opened with "SAAAAAAY-GA" :D

DCharlie said:
i've always said Sneesss.

i always thought it was a Euro thing... NES was always NEESSSS as well.

but then again - lots of people called SAY-GA .. SEA-GA in europe....

imagine our surprise when Sonic opened with "SAAAAAAY-GA" :D
Wtf is NEESSSS?

And they say SEH-GA (shore EH sound), not SAY-GA.

I hate the fact that Nintendo is purposely holding back VC games, especially the ones that are in Japan, but they will sell many more games by doling them out in small doses and keeping the heavy hitters apart from each other.

VC is so much different from iTunes/Netflix that it is overwhelming to even think about listing the differences at 2:30 am, but just think about it and you'll figure it out. My one hint is that there are MANY more people trying to make a buck and MUCH greater competition with the other two models. Nintendo's only competition (Gametap, PS3, X360) doesn't even have the vast majority of the titles and never will.

-----

It's just as easy to say Nin-ten-do as it is to say N-E-S, and Nintendo rolls off the tongue much better. If you say, THE Nintendo, everyone knows what you are talking about. And the SNES should always be called the Super Nintendo in spoken conversation.

I call them Nintendo and Super Nintendo. But for this argument, I would call them N-E-S and S-N-E-S

Well, I call NES "Nintendo" right now, and I did when it first came out, but when I first heard about SNES, SNES was Super Nintendo and NES was 'Regular Nintendo'

Angelcurio

Link said:
People actually say Ness and Sness? That's retarded.
In spanish speaking countries thats the way we mention it. Nes and SsssNes.

But those werent the mainstream names though. The nes was widely known as "Nintendo", and the Snes was "Super Nintendo".

Fewr

Nintendo and Super Nintendo, that's how manly men refer to those consoles.

N E S and Ness are for pansies.

mmlemay said:
I hate the fact that Nintendo is purposely holding back VC games, especially the ones that are in Japan, but they will sell many more games by doling them out in small doses and keeping the heavy hitters apart from each other.

VC is so much different from iTunes/Netflix that it is overwhelming to even think about listing the differences at 2:30 am, but just think about it and you'll figure it out. My one hint is that there are MANY more people trying to make a buck and MUCH greater competition with the other two models. Nintendo's only competition (Gametap, PS3, X360) doesn't even have the vast majority of the titles and never will.

Well, gametap does have like 700 games on it (of course, supporting arcade ROMS in addition to consoles and PC helps). And even for the systems that are common to both companies (Sega Genesis for example), Gametap has way more support. Obviously, they've been around longer, so that helps, but it's still an advantage. And of course, this could all change, and they obviously won't get Nintendo games anytime soon...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I never heard "SNES" until the 1up network and stuff started publishing their media podcasts and I heard "snezzz." I always said S-N-E-S or Super NES.

Top Bottom