• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

mattp

man you guys are brutal, i thought it was a fun episode
not every episode needs to be scheduled out topic by topic. i like just listening to them sit around and talk about shit

Balb

I've always been a huge Retronauts fans and I've enjoyed the current episodes but I wish they were as structured as the older episodes used to be. The last couple of episodes haven't been as chronologically tight. The tone is definitely more laid back. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining though because I have enjoyed the new Retronauts overall..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've always been a huge Retronauts fans and I've enjoyed the current episodes but I wish they were as structured as the older episodes used to be. The last couple of episodes haven't been as chronologically tight. The tone is definitely more laid back. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining though because I have enjoyed the new Retronauts overall..
I think there was a thought about how influential Star Wars might have been, but then they sort of realized that it really isn't that influential. Given that Star Wars basically cribbed a lot of film and, if you agree with the Campbell interpretation of the films, a lot of mythology as well... things like killing a father and all that is just something that's part of the general fabric of culture.
Like, you might as well say Hamlet or Oedipus is influential in video game storytelling at that point.

And I agree, any Retronauts is better than no Retronauts... but it sort of makes sense why this was a mini/pocket episode and not part of the "main" series.

Also, I know that they're running out of topics, and I know that no one on the staff cares or knows about PC games (poor Sharkey), but I kind of wish that someone would do a BBS door game episode, because it really is one of those retrogaming topics that no one really talks about.

Well, that and the fabled Satellaview episode that people keep wanting to see. lol

It was a pretty disappointing discussion this week. Why didn't they talk about Star Wars games themselves rather than focusing on games that may have been influenced by it? Is there some older episode that directly covers Star Wars?

Thought there was a lot of room to talk about the SNES era and N64/PS1 games since there is a fair amount of them.

So I was listening to an episode the other week and I heard them mention a JRPG for the N64 that was really good, that wasn't Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, and definitely wasn't Quest 64. It was just mentioned in passing, and everyone else on the cast went "Oh yeah, that game's great". I think it was probably the Quintet episode (even though Quintet didn't make any n64 games), the fan translation episode, or the golden age of japanese games episode.

Anyone have any idea what it was?

Edit:

I think either it's Hybrid Heaven or I made it all up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wonder if Ray or maybe Jeremy ever think about doing a pocket episode on Game Center CX...at first I thought it would be hard to pull off a retrospective in audio form since you really need visuals to appreciate the show, but so much has been going on with it lately because of the 10th anniversary of the show with the Budokan show and the movie and new 3DS game, and Ray (and I think Jeremy) are such fans of the show that I bet a pocket show would suit it well.

BearChair

Retronauts Vol. III Episode 11 is up.

Retronauts Vol. III Episode 11 - The History Of Video Game Voice Acting

Hey, cats and kittens: It’s Bob again with another brand-new episode. Just so you know, this one was the first we recorded with Jeremy Skyping in from his new East Coast digs, so things might not go as smoothly as you’d expect from the well-oiled machine known as Retronauts. On the bright side — if you could call it that — most of the difficulties came in the editing process, since I had to paste in Jeremy’s locally recorded audio every time he spoke, while simultaneously cutting out the rest of our dumb voices. Because of this issue, I stumbled into a little SNAFU that would take too much time to correct, so you may notice that one of our musical breaks lasts just a little too long — but it probably won’t kill you.

To close the book on this extremely inside baseball, just know that we’ve since come up with a much more efficient process, so the episodes following next week’s should be back to normal. Then again, no one complained about the audio quality on previously posted Jeremy Skype-ins, so this paragraph could only serve to waste your valuable time. (Sorry.)

Anyhow, this episode covers an extremely broad topic we’ve touched upon plenty of times on Retronauts, but never fully delved into. That said, as I explained in the intro to this episode, we couldn’t possibly cover everything, so I did my best to track the evolution of voice acting using some very notable (and at times, infamous) examples. Special thanks go out to backer Chris Doucette, who donated to make this episode happen, and volunteered his time to help us talk about a very fruitful subject. Enjoy, and please leave us comments about anything we might have missed!

“From Berzerk’s creepy robot barks to Metal Gear Solid’s overwrought death monologues, voice acting has been a major element of video games — but just how did we get to where we are today? Join Bob Mackey, Jeremy Parish, Ray Barnholt and special backer guest Chris Doucette as they dine on Jill sandwiches, sit in rocket lawn chairs, and explore the mysteries of video game voice acting.”

NEXT TIME: We head to the Silicon Valley of the Midwest — yes, that’s a real thing. And maybe before Christmas, a little something extra in your stocking? Only if you’re good. And the best way to do this might involve leaving us a review on the iTunes Music Store…

I'm listening now, and it is a good one so far.

krae_man

Sorry old man Jeremy, but everyones first encounter with Tim Curry is Home Alone 2.

Also shame on Bob and Ray for not bringing up Muppets Treausre Island to coax out Kermitt Voice. Guest backer tried to get Jeremy to do Toad voice and he didn't bite but he probably would have caved for Kermit.

So I was listening to an episode the other week and I heard them mention a JRPG for the N64 that was really good, that wasn't Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, and definitely wasn't Quest 64. It was just mentioned in passing, and everyone else on the cast went "Oh yeah, that game's great". I think it was probably the Quintet episode (even though Quintet didn't make any n64 games), the fan translation episode, or the golden age of japanese games episode.

Anyone have any idea what it was?

Edit:

I think either it's Hybrid Heaven or I made it all up.

Don't recall the episode but the only one you missed was Aiden Chronicles and it definitely wouldn't be that so Hybrid Heaven seems like a good guess.

Rlan

In terms of "voice acting" i feel one of the most iconic bits of audio was missing from the episode, though i'm not really surprised.

"SEGA"

studyguy

A little aside to this voiceover episode.
Sega's Street's of Rage had the character Blaze throw fireballs with a little soundbyte calling out the name of the attack. I think it was supposed to sound like Kikousho which was the name of the attack.

Was in Mexico and playing it with cousins and they all started laughing every time someone used her fireball and she yelled out the move. I was entirely confused as to why the hell they'd laugh at a poorly sampled sound when one of them explained...

Kikousho as it sounded in the game sounded awfully similar to joto due to the poor sampling. Like when that was explained and I heard the sound effect again, I was shocked. My aunt even came in as we were playing and the sound effect went off and she was just as shocked, asking why the hell the game said that and that we should stop playing.

Joto basically means faggot in Spanish. So there you go...

BearChair

New episode is out.

Retronauts Pocket Episode 11: Number Munchers, Oregon Trail, And More Educational Treasures from Minnesota

Hello, friends: It’s Bob again with what might be the most educational episode of Retronauts to date — hey, get back here! (We promise it won’t hurt.)

If you’re of my generation (or maybe a little older), you may remember investing dozens of normally boring school hours into the many games of MECC — otherwise known as The Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation. This topic is a bit outside of Retronauts’ typical subject matter, but MECC’s output makes up a shared cultural experience for everyone who spent their “computer classes” pecking away at the keyboards of ancient Apple IIes. Enjoy, and thanks again to contributor Amy Sutedja for giving us the idea!

This episode’s description:

“If you’re a child of the ’80s, you may remember whiling away valuable school hours planted in front of an Apple IIe, playing one of the many games developed by the Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation. From munching numbers to carving a path to the bounty of Oregon, the fine people of MECC gave plenty of kids a respite from long division and the shame of gym class — and we thank them for it. Join Bob Mackey, Ray Barnholt, and Jeremy Parish as the Retronauts crew explores the wonderful world of Midwestern edutainment.”

This episode’s musical breakdown:

(Note: This episode contains selections from Wild Arms since the MECC games don’t have much music to speak of.)

13:10 | Wild Arms “Lone Bird in the Shire” (Michiko Naruke)
31:54 | Wild Arms “Into the Wilderness ~ Into New Voyages” (Michiko Naruke)

The site also has links to the history of MECC, a documentary from 1996 about Oregon Trail on YouTube and a link to a Tombstone Pizza commercial on YouTube.

Mzo

Just started listening to Retronauts. It's mostly enjoyable but I'm really disappointed about how much they get wrong or ignore. It's also super, super S/NES centric to the point of near-myopia.

I was listening to the live show at the Portland game convention and one of the guys said that the 32X is on par with the Sega CD, that they only have about three good games each. Nobody even tried to correct that ridiculous proclamation.

I get pretty worked up listening to this. I don't think I should continue.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ummm. Shadow Squadron. Star Wars Arcade (sorta) and... um... Kolibri?

Hafta disagree, man. Retronauts does great work. Also looking forward to RETRO, which I also backed.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Just started listening to Retronauts. It's mostly enjoyable but I'm really disappointed about how much they get wrong or ignore. It's also super, super S/NES centric to the point of near-myopia.

like a getting-way-too-serious-about-Sega kind of myopia?

Mzo

Ummm. Shadow Squadron. Star Wars Arcade (sorta) and... um... Kolibri?

Hafta disagree, man. Retronauts does great work. Also looking forward to RETRO, which I also backed.

No, I meant the Sega CD has a ton of awesome software that greatly outstrips the 32X. I can understand someone not liking the 32X, but putting the Sega CD on par with it and saying they're both crappy? Criminal.

For the record, there's also Knuckles Chaotix, Tempo, Virtua Racing Deluxe and a unique version of Blackthorne.

Mzo

like a getting-way-too-serious-about-Sega kind of myopia?

Someone's got to help out the ridiculous 16-bit imbalance. I'm also all about the PC Engine these days.

You can't help what you played as a kid with limited resources but eventually you grow up and branch out.

IrishNinja

nah, i'm callin BS - retronauts is awesome, and Bob, Parish, Kohler etc are crazy konwledgable with lots of things from Atari to arcades etc, but they've freely admitted they're not "sega guys" and the times they've had to speak even on more popular scenes like the Genesis, it's been kind've a letdown as they don't seem to know much stuff outside the most popular series (Sonic, SOR etc). compare it to NES/SNES and it's glaringly obvious, they just kinda recite memes about Sega-CD software (its all FMV!), genesis sound chip ("robot farts!") etc which is fine for forum stuff like around here, but when you get them on about elements of the early PCE scene where they legitimately know stuff from dev history to composers, etc...i mean that's what i tune in for. they're entertaining but i also tend to learn stuff from certain eps too which is awesome.

not trying to shit on them at all, i totally understand when they bring in another guy for the Neo Geo scene for example - but yeah, when they're one of the more respectable faces for classic gaming info it's a bummer to have such a huge scene kinda glossed over. their Dreamcast ep i remember being pretty fun, Sega franchise (2 eps) was neat too - but Mzo absolutely has a point that their 8/16 bit era talk (and knowledge) is highly nintendo-centric.

Chaotix was not good, man.

:)

worse when you were half expecting a 3D sonic game...i was just reading on eidolon's inn how the pic they used in some mag or another actually came from one of their amusement park things in the day, man that's some shit right there haha

IrishNinja

^bookmarked! totally got some stuff to read tonight, thanks for that man.
ive admittedly been working my way through classic retronauts stuff & may've missed segments, did you guys ever cover much on the Saturn?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
What the butt? 32X is a piece of crap, but I've written pretty extensively about how much great material there was on Sega CD, up to and including a pretty broad apologia for the system more than a year ago: http://www.2-dimensions.com/2012/10/14/gamespite-journal-12-rethinking-sega-cd/

Good show Jeremy. Almost no one remembers Panic. I was never sure how much of that nonsense was localization and how much was the original content. It honestly seemed like it was localized by someone who didn't speak Japanese, who would just try to infer some sort of audio skit directly from the Monty Pythonesque animations. So weird.

Sonic CD and Snatcher, of course.

I'd add Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side, a weirdly fascinating adventure game version of Jurassic Park, a weirdly fascinating adventure/RTS hybrid version of Dune, and pretty much any Genesis game that was way better with redbook audio, including both Ecco games, Road Rash, and Mortal Kombat, personally.

IrishNinja

this one is true though

it really isn't though, and i'm starting to believe it has to do with the fact that post Sonic 1 (1991) i wanna say they pushed the model 2 out in much bigger #'s which was known to have an inferior sound chip, as that's the only reason i can assume that description took off.

IrishNinja

i really gotta try that one again sometime, need to work on my 32X first...the bungee stuff seemed overly prevalent but the other thing that stood out in my mind was that some areas of the levels just felt...empty. i got the impression it was rushed, later found out it was some demo/proto thing they'd been kicking around the office before putting everyone onto Sonic Xtreme and somehow not delivering it in the end...im gonna go read up at Eidolon's Inn now.

Mzo

What the butt? 32X is a piece of crap, but I've written pretty extensively about how much great material there was on Sega CD, up to and including a pretty broad apologia for the system more than a year ago: http://www.2-dimensions.com/2012/10/14/gamespite-journal-12-rethinking-sega-cd/

I guess you weren't there that day. In the Portland Retro Gaming Expo episode, 30 minutes in, someone (I'm bad at keeping track of who is who with only voices) says the 32X fared BETTER in the US than the Sega CD. Someone else calls him out in a half-hearted attempt at defense that includes a mention of Ground fucking Zero: Texas, and the first dude agrees that maybe the Sega CD is not worse than the 32X, but is on par with it.

Nice article, I completely agree with it. Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a Turbo/PC Engine CD game, though.

Balb

Loved the wrestling episode. Was great to hear Donahoe again. His knowledge and passion on the subject was incredible. Reminded me of Shane actually.

Mzo

Sega CD got a compilation rerelease of CF2 and the original in Japan, but I don't know if that's what he was referring to.

Cosmic Fantasy Stories, nice catch, but:

The Article said:
The system offered fantastic original titles like Cosmic Fantasy II, Keio Flying Squadron, and Switch (aka Panic).

probably not.

Not a big deal at all, shit happens.

Great episode this week, I haven't really followed wrestling since the late 90's but it was great hearing a guy so passionate about it go through ti with you guys.

Think I'm going to have to try out a few of these Fire Pro games since I've never played any of them.

turnbuckle

Just finished listening to wrestlenauts. Excellent episode, probably in my top 20 of all time.

Wrestle Fest is probably my favorite wrestling game ever. I remember being able to kick out of a pin pretty much every time even when I was out of HP. My fingers were spamming those buttons a million miles an hour :p

Also remember one time going to the arcade and there were two punks who basically cost me all of my tokens within a half hour. Just kept tossing me over the ropes. Bullies :p

I didn't hear them mention Mat Mania. I was listening while at work so I might've missed it. That's probably the first wrestling game I played. Taito had a couple other wrestling games after it that I remember not liking as much.

I haven't followed wrestling since around 2000, and haven't played wrestling games since about that time either. But this podcast was perfect for me; hit on lots of my favorites.

Man, I'm so behind. Is it too late to say how much I enjoyed the Japan episode?

it really isn't though, and i'm starting to believe it has to do with the fact that post Sonic 1 (1991) i wanna say they pushed the model 2 out in much bigger #'s which was known to have an inferior sound chip, as that's the only reason i can assume that description took off.

i wouldn't actually say "robot farts" exactly myself, but you're never gonna win me over to the idea that the genesis sound chip isn't generally worthy of scorn

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I guess you weren't there that day. In the Portland Retro Gaming Expo episode, 30 minutes in, someone (I'm bad at keeping track of who is who with only voices) says the 32X fared BETTER in the US than the Sega CD. Someone else calls him out in a half-hearted attempt at defense that includes a mention of Ground fucking Zero: Texas, and the first dude agrees that maybe the Sega CD is not worse than the 32X, but is on par with it.

Eh, it's easy to miss the mark with an off-the-cuff remark in a live situation. I've certainly done it. Please don't base your opinion of a podcast on a live panel for which the full team wasn't even present!

I also agree that the Genesis sound chip often amounts to robot farts, but I actually find that charming. I dig FM synthesis. It still sounds like the future to me.

BearChair

Eh, it's easy to miss the mark with an off-the-cuff remark in a live situation. I've certainly done it. Please don't base your opinion of a podcast on a live panel for which the full team wasn't even present!

I also agree that the Genesis sound chip often amounts to robot farts, but I actually find that charming. I dig FM synthesis. It still sounds like the future to me.

Next time you get a chance in an episode, can you give a brief description as to what the different types of sound generation actually mean (FM Synthesis etc.) They are mentioned in the music episode, but what makes them so different?

Mzo

I've heard enough shows to cement the feeling that the series is heavily Nintendo-centric.

I still like it. You guys are knowledgeable to the point that I tend to learn at least one new thing an episode and it's clear that everyone there loves video games, even if they haven't all outgrown the irrational bias implanted into their brain by a certain company's propaganda machine during their impressionable youth.

I listened to the Double Dragon episode of the old series the other day at the gym; I think people kept looking my way because I kept yelling "NO!" It was a bit of a surprise no one was familiar with the arcade game, but it came as no surprise at all that no one had any knowledge of the SMS version (which is bad).

Bob Mackey's hatred of Renegade is terrible. The NES port is great. You can punch, kick, grab, throw, dash, dash punch, jump kick, sit on dudes and beat them down, ride a motorcycle, etc. It's way ahead of its time. I listened to the Kunio-kun episode and was surprised at how much trouble everyone talking had playing the game. I tried it again and beat it in a couple of hours that afternoon. Oh well.

Mzo

The wrestling episode was excellent. Dudes that know their shit inside and out and are passionate about it laying it down.

Top Bottom