• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+ |Import OT| The music plays on and on

Credits showed lots more games not part of the main story.
Built to Scale was one. So was Maoi and Monkey Watch.

GOOD!
DviwjO6.gif

So seems like you have to complete challenges to unlock the extra games.
144 total according to the streamer.

I will probably go for Built to Scale first.

rjc571

Banned
I was so bad at Monkey Watch, then one day it clicked and never had problem again.

Monkey Watch is the only one in Fever besides Remix 10 that I didn't manage to perfect... every time I would be going along perfectly in time with the beat and then suddenly miss one even though it seemed like my timing was exactly the same as it had been to that point.

so i'm finally home and kinda regretting watching like half the game

but i watched with audio off so the best part remains

hell yeah time to get into this

Are the bee and factory remixes the only new vocals?
Pajamas and Sumo Brothers have vocal songs as well, but if you mean vocal remixes I think so (but don't quote me).

so i'm finally home and kinda regretting watching like half the game

Honestly the stream helped me since I can save money by doing the normal challenges except 4 because screw that challenge.

Plus I know what the bottom screen is used for and how to unlock the other games.

Kinsei

Banned
Credits showed lots more games not part of the main story.
Built to Scale was one. So was Maoi and Monkey Watch.

GOOD!

Fucking Moai. That game was fucking bullshit cause half the times your fast taps didn't register. Maybe it'll actually be fun with buttons.

I was a bit mad when Blue Birds 2 wasn't a thing.

However, in challenge mode they mixed the original song to the tempo of Blue Birds 2.
So I am happy about that.

heh, your commanding officer appears on a gamepad in shoot em up

i appreciate that they've given every returning game a new song but a lot of them feel like they end right when they would've burst into the hook if they were in a previous game
really digging the game a lot, though!

Is it generally agreed upon that nobody liked the touch controls in the DS game? Cause I love them. I'm kinda bummed they didn't go with the touch controls for the old DS levels and any new ones specifically foe the 3DS.

Still hype as fuck though. Rhythm Heaven is an absolutely amazing series and I am holding out all hope that this is localized.

There's a "simple touch" setting (as opposed to the default button controls). I haven't tried it yet. I might be able to check it out before work. I've only got three games unlocked though (game unlocked right before I went to bed) so I don't have many things to actually experiment with it in.

Miker

Even if this comes West - which I think it will - I'll be sad that I'll never find three other people with 3DSes to play 4-player Rhythm Heaven with. I don't even think I know three other people with 3DSes, much less three people who would all be in the same room as me playing Rhythm Heaven.

Yeah, "simple touch" doesn't seem to change the content of the games at all, just the input method (I had wondered whether it changed the difficulty, because the word used can mean "simple" or "easy"). I don't have any games with more than one button though, so I don't know if there's flicking or scratching in later games.

I do think it's odd that it only changes the games to be touch-based. The menus still require D-pad and buttons.

rjc571

Banned
Is it generally agreed upon that nobody liked the touch controls in the DS game? Cause I love them. I'm kinda bummed they didn't go with the touch controls for the old DS levels and any new ones specifically foe the 3DS.

Still hype as fuck though. Rhythm Heaven is an absolutely amazing series and I am holding out all hope that this is localized.

The touch controls were amazing! Probably the best touch controls on the original DS.

Have they made this 3D at all?

If you mean stereoscopic, yeah, everything works with 3D on. If you mean, like, 3D models, nothing that wasn't already using 3D models (aka Rhythm Rally and Airboarder)

and speaking of airboarder god it's so obviously a credits game, it's weird as hell to just have it dropped into the beginning of the game lol

JKTrix

I only skimmed this thread so I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it, but having the touch screen being used exclusively for timing feedback is pretty darn cool.

I've only done the tutorial and Karate Man, but with every button press you get an easily noticeable burst of stars on the bottom screen. If you're too early, the burst will be red and on the left side, if you're too late it'll be on the right side. Haven't seen what colour that one is, if it's different. If you're 'close enough' to the beat, the burst will be gold coloured but still be off-center based on which side of the beat you're on. If you get it just right, you get a large rainbow-coloured star burst.

Good stuff.

Also the 3D is already used with good effect in Karate Man, with the objects flying towards him to get punched.

oh god i just realized "box show" is dazzles. dazzles is in this game

c'mon NoA, this is the perfect chance to right your wrongs

edit: man the english prompts for blue birds are so much better

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD, I forgot about the English version of Dazzles.

Yes, please let that get redubbed. That & Pop Idol or whatever it was called were easily the worst dubbed songs in the DS game.

Not really, considering the DS game still exists. If anything, having new button versions in addition to the pre-existing touch-based game just gives players incentive to go back to the DS game.

Been playing my copy.
The Rhythm Circles are a god send!
The game is a blast. Medaled all the first attempts. Fixes all my issues with Fever.

Also good 3D use! Wii mini-games run buttery smooth.

Social

Looks like all the assets are vector based this time, ready to be upscaled to wiiU or other devices. Some assets look a lot more simple and lost some detail because of it but overall it's ok.

Think a wiiU release is a given.

I might legitimately buy a Japanese 3DS just to play this game.

fart you, region lock

Also, can anyone who's played it tell me how the controls feel for the DS and Wii games? Does it replicate the touch/A+B controls well?

holy shit interpreter 2 is amaaaaazing, why didn't i see that coming

\Also, can anyone who's played it tell me how the controls feel for the DS and Wii games? Does it replicate the touch/A+B controls well?

A+B basically just maps to B, which works fine.

Flicking seems to vary. Like, for Blue Birds, just holding and releasing counts as holding and flicking, but I'm pretty sure Glee Club works differently (haven't gotten there yet). But I've had no complaints with controls yet.

Are the original games/songs in here? Or the ones from before are only here as remixes?

All returning games have their original songs, some have new songs, some have their original second versions, all appear in new remixes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I won't be able to play for a few more hours, but is it possible to play this one without touch controls at all? Probably not, since it has a lot of minigames from the DS one, right?]

Edit:
Nvm, I'm blind and didn't notice the relevant part of the op.

Oh, wow, the timing helper for practice mode is nice. All this ease-of-use stuff they've added is really great.

anyone got videos of the remixes?

If you just want the music, I can try to record it sometime. If you want to see the gameplay, the VOD of the stream posted earlier is probably your best bet.

JKTrix

I forgot how slow these games started, and I guess having 75% old games adds to the slow feeling for me, but I just did the Chameleon level (a new one) and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more Really Good stuff.

Who said they didn't redo Fan Club? It's different. Not even the same singer.

I forgot how slow these games started, and I guess having 75% old games adds to the slow feeling for me, but I just did the Chameleon level (a new one) and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more Really Good stuff.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's more of a problem with this game, given that they had to make levels that actually precede the original songs for the returning games.

Chameleon is really good though, yeah. Really enjoying the new games as a whole.

Cannot medal Badminton at all...nope.
Got medals for the rest. The cat annoys me!
Sumo Brothers and Dance Hall are my favorite new ones.

rpmurphy

Wow, I totally did not expect bunny hop from GBA to be in here. One of my favs!

Also donut ikemen lool. This is gonna be a real treat if NoA localizes it.

rpmurphy

I hear the intergalactic translator has good stuff.
This needs a western release!
Yeah, it's funny. I wonder if they can do a good localization of it, because there's just quite a lot of text to translate and they all have their different quirks.

The timing is different on Frog Hop or I just can't get the handle on button controls for it. :(

Top Bottom