• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+ |Import OT| The music plays on and on

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is the Space Translator from another game? I love it! I want to hear an english translation of it!

Also, those sales reports sound lovely, great to see the game succeeding.

okay I really like the Interpreter games but god Interpreter 2 fucks me up. Get the timing off on the fast ones when it doesn't even feel like I'm doing anything wrong. Hope there's a perfect video of it out I can use for reference, lol.

I had to click because I may not ever be good enough to get to it. That's awesome! So... is it just the character or the song too?

The SFX and music are the same, it's just 8 games in which visual elements are switched to WarioWare ones. Has pretty much every main WarioWare character show up.

also, very happy to hear the the game's done well! Or... that it was just a really small shipment, lol. Hope it's the former, game is great and deserves success.

rpmurphy

Just opened up the second set of train challenges. Gotta git gud real fast.

I wish though the Kaiju ones would tell you what's the minimum "justs" you need to clear it. :p

okay I really like the Interpreter games but god Interpreter 2 fucks me up. Get the timing off on the fast ones when it doesn't even feel like I'm doing anything wrong. Hope there's a perfect video of it out I can use for reference, lol.
The fast parts are actually not as fast as you may think. It does take some practice though.

Okay, sorry that the recording is so bad (and I forgot to mute the camera's audio...), but here's footage of the super special secret bonus that's really rad. Hopefully someone with direct capture can record it soon, but this should get the point across.

The fast parts are actually not as fast as you may think. It does take some practice though.

Yeahhh, I guess so. Coupling that with Tempo Up challenges makes it near impossible for me, lol.

Got my copy today. Just posting to confirm that Regionfour does work for this game, for people who were wondering:
gyOccEz.jpg

Looking forward to diving in at last! Been waiting all weekend! :D

I saw screens of
Drum Lesson
floating around, no idea how to get it though. Maybe all Perfects. But it seems like it's in there somewhere.

So much stuff in this game, man!

"Quiz" in Rhythm Heaven GBA also lets you do this: you only need to match the number of button presses, not the specific D-Pad / A button that was pressed.

Eh, I caught on to Quiz thankfully. But wow. Should I feel like a champ since I managed to clear both Rhythm Plucks in OG Rhythm Tengoku with just A? 0_o

yeahhhhh it's not on their e3 site

mmmmm... uhhhh...

i mean, i'm sure it's coming but... i think it's not till next year, unless there's a surprise announcement :/

Glowsquid

You know how Devil Third's was announced during an IGN stream last year? Maybe this will be Treehouse's ace in the hole this year!!!!!

... The lack of localization annoucement seriously burned me.

Nachos

A buddy just gave me the credentials to log into the Nintendo E3 press site, and it's not listed with the 3DS games. Neither of us are press, though, so we have no idea if that's the entirety of their lineup or if more will be added and is under NDA.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I didn't ever expect it to be announced so soon after the JP release. Probably we will see it in a Direct towards the end of the year, the previous games took a long time to localise.

I didn't ever expect it to be announced so soon after the JP release. Probably we will see it in a Direct towards the end of the year, the previous games took a long time to localise.

both the DS and the wii game were announced for localization at E3 right before the japanese release, though both nearly a year away from localized launch. guess it'll end up releasing within the same timeframe, just with an announcement closer to launch (which they can afford to do now due to directs). i suppose i messed up for counting on localization to not take as long this time.

sorry for anyone that got hyped up, i was looking forward to discussing the game with more people sooner rather than later too :/

utentagen

Neo Member
is the 100 point scoring system driving anybody else crazy? i cannot for the life of me get anywhere above 98 on any game because the indicator at the bottom is so picky. i'll feel like i'm nailing a note perfectly but the bottom screen says i'm doing it a little early. it's almost discouraging.

this game is still really, really great, but man i wish it didn't have the bar, or at least i wish the game was less picky about timing. oh well, at least the challenge mode that implements the perfect timing is really fun

Hikami

Said I'd import this if it didn't show up at Nintendo's E3.. Seems like it was a no-show, importing now.

First time getting into this series, hope I like it.

Yes Boss!

Oh well. Looks like it will be a 2016 title. Woulda been nice sooner rather than later. It is an epic release so it will be worth it when it finally comes.

well, let's see, i just got all perfect and earned
a badge, lol

still have one challenge course, all stars, all rhythm items, endless game unlocks, the goat, and streetpass figure fighter stuff left. whew.

Impotaku

Finally now all my stuff has reached Tenso i can get my copy shipped off been dying to play this, been playing the demo to keep me going.

Having a blast with the game so far. Just tons of content. Love the remastered GBA and DS mini-games and I like all the new ones. I just wish there were more remixes. Looks like there is a lot of post-game content as well, but I don't know any Japanese so I have no idea how to unlock them. All in all, well worth the price of importing.

is the 100 point scoring system driving anybody else crazy? i cannot for the life of me get anywhere above 98 on any game because the indicator at the bottom is so picky. i'll feel like i'm nailing a note perfectly but the bottom screen says i'm doing it a little early. it's almost discouraging.

this game is still really, really great, but man i wish it didn't have the bar, or at least i wish the game was less picky about timing. oh well, at least the challenge mode that implements the perfect timing is really fun

If you prefer, there's an option to disable the timing indicator on the bottom screen. I don't recall exactly which settings option it is, but I know someone posted which setting option is which somewhere in the thread.

The highest I've ever gotten is 96 or 97, getting 100 basically means frame-perfect timing for the whole song lol. Basically anything over 90 is perfecting the song, and anything over 95 is very very good.

Anyone know what it means if you have a blacked out coin at the end of a stage?

Just means you didn't score high enough to get those coins. There's a score threshold for the X amount of coins you earn per stage, not counting the coins you get for getting the star or no misses.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just means you didn't score high enough to get those coins. There's a score threshold for the X amount of coins you earn per stage, not counting the coins you get for getting the star or no misses.

Okay cool. I just got two in a row and got worried

Got all stars, cleared the last Challenge course, and bought everything in the shop.
Nothing but badges to show for it, lol.

Only have Streetpass Figure Fighter and Goat stuff left. aka I'm probably never gonna 100% the game because I have nobody to Streetpass with this game and the goat is a major asshole.

Anyone know anything about this (maybe spoilers)? I've seen a few pictures of it and I have no idea how to get it. From what I can gather, this is the bottom screen for when you view the endings for each game in the museum? Or something?

So they released an official video for "I'm a Lady Now," and it turns out that Hotzmic is Tsunku♂'s daughter. :O :O :O

oh damn, what a twist :O

edit: You sure? English seems to be her native language, though I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Masked Man

I said wow
oh damn, what a twist :O

edit: You sure? English seems to be her native language, though I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think it's her native language since she uses a couple of unnatural phrases like "It's kind of shy" for 少し恥ずかしかった. The interviewer is Naomi Watanabe, a famous JP comedian who recently spent a considerable amount of time studying English in the US but is also not a native speaker. I think her dad just has a lot of EN-speaking friends and has provided his daughter with plenty of opportunities to learn.

Ah, makes sense. I guess I figured it was just a kid-ism. Seems I'm underestimating the capability of a 7 year old to be bilingual with that level of natural-sounding pronunciation (relative to others the same age). Would explain the lighting as well (though I guess it didn't end up being successful in hiding her identity, lol).

Thanks for the insight and sharing the video, though! It's interesting stuff.

edit: New 3DS theme, btw. I dig the art of Tebiri dressed as characters from the different games. The music is just some story mode BGM though, which is too bad cuz I don't find that as interesting as the rhythm game music.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yoooooooo this "I'm a lady now" song thooooooooo.

Where can I get this song. It's not on Google Play.

antun

Wow, I now have all of the kime stars and all songs perfect and now I´m trying to beat the red challenges... This is amazing.

I still need to get the goat to level 200 and 50 treasures from street pass challenges.

The red challenges are really difficult and fun.

:D

I can´t wait to play this with my wife in multiplayer.

I am trying my best to get everything in the game before Fire Emblem If is released. I guess that game will take all of my gaming time...

Feel like putting down some general thoughts now that I've cleared all the parts of the game that are actually relevant to being a rhythm game, lol. Mostly because things are still fresh in my mind and this is game is probably the most different from its predecessors than any other in the series. I'm gonna try to avoid any "spoilers", but I will discuss what is and is not in the game to some extent.

For reference, my game clock is at about 28 hours, and I've cleared the story mode, gotten all stars, all perfects, cleared all challenge courses, and bought everything in the shop, and I'm about... I'd guess halfway through Streetpass Figure Fighter and the Goat.

I've said it already, but I think the new games are really great. Heartbroken Bear and Pajamas are amazingly charming and do fantastic storytelling, Cat Clap and Interpreter are extremely funny, and Sumo Brothers and Chameleon are really fun and upbeat. While I'm not in love with Stairs Catch and Fruit Basket, there really aren't any new games I dislike or wouldn't want to play. And the music for all of them is solid and definitely up to series standards. The glaring issue with the new games is, of course, the quantity. There's only 12 brand new unique games, which is about half the amount in GBA and DS. The fact that the team really seemed on their game this time makes the small number of new games even more painful, lol.

I know people are lamenting the loss of Bon Odori and Love Lab, and with good reason, but in the end the selection of old games really lives up to the title of "The Best", in my mind. While we'd always wish they could manage to squeeze in just a couple more returning games, almost all of the most memorable and most fun are accounted for. Hell, the majority of both GBA and DS are present, as is almost all of Wii. Honestly, my biggest complaint with the returning song selection are the sequel songs more than anything else, lol. Working Dough 2 and Hole in One 2 over Cheer Readers 2 or Micro-Row 2? C'mon! And DS has waaay too many good second versions to choose just 3; I can't object to any of the ones they picked, but Munchy Monk 2 and Blue Birds 2 are sorely missed. Er, yeah, I could go on and on about what they did and didn't include, but as a whole my verdict is it's damn solid and I'm honestly surprised by how many they fit into the game.

Yes, this is something that's been addressed and called out many times, but it needs to be said: the beginning of the game is weak. Making the first 3 rooms how they are was a poor design choice, and serves to benefit nobody. Experienced players will gain nothing from easier versions of games they're already familiar with (and will just result in clamoring for the more interesting versions they ARE familiar with, as has been demonstrated lol), and new players wouldn't even recognize the music as being new and different. The difficulty levels of Karate Man, Fillbots, Air Rally weren't too much to affix towards the start of the game before, and I don't see why they would be now (especially with passing grades being more lenient). So in the end, you have 12 short, uninteresting versions of the games that most players wouldn't be interested in returning to and that just drag down the beginning of the game. I was a bit harsh on the music for them initially as well, but they've grown on me over encountering them in Perfect Challenges and the Challenge Train. They're fine compositions done disservice by being designed as tutorial songs, which I think really shows. I expect a lot more initially disappointed reactions to come when the game drops in the West due to how it starts, which is a shame because as a whole I think the game is excellent. It really does the whole package a disservice. But that's enough about that as well...

Okay, the story! It's intrusive, lol. I like it, I don't wish it were gone, but it's intrusive. For a story where "flow" (how ノリノリ is localized) is so frequently discussed, it really serves to kill your flow when you just want to get to the next rhythm game. Even mashing the A button, once you clear a game for the first time you have to watch the room transition and go past 10 or so lines of dialog, and possibly go through even more dialog if you're moving on to the next room. There should really be a "Story Off" option, or the ability to press B or Start or something and just skip everything that takes place between games. But on a more positive note... the character designs are cute, and what I could understand of the dialog (which was a decent enough amount) was fun. Including the story was an interesting idea, I'm glad it's here, but it's not what a lot of people want out of the series, so there should be a way to avoid all of it if desired. Looking at the series as purely a rhythm game, it just makes things more clunky.

Briefly touching on the changes to the structure of the game, I'm not really a huge fan. There really should be a higher ratio of remixes; I think it'd help with pacing, and as things are now, a large portion of the games appear in no remix at all aside from several seconds in one of the final ones. I've mentioned it before, but I think that having returning remixes from previous games, with games swapped around, would've been a cool way of going about it. Or just make more new ones instead of the tutorial songs. Coins are also pointless aside from making things grindy towards the end of the game. Most things you do in the game already provide rewards, so Rhythm Items and Music Player tracks should just be tied to Perfects/Stars, and I don't feel Challenge Courses need rewards for repeat plays.

Speaking of Challenge Courses: they rule, a lot. I can totally breeze through every other Rhythm Heaven game at this point, perfects and all, but the Challenge Train really lived up to its name. It's tense, it makes you look at the games in a new way, and it really increases the replay value. I'm not gonna say it's perfect; I wish there were more types of modifiers, I would've liked to see some even harder courses, and I would've liked to maybe even have the ability to make my own courses. But... all in all, it's really great, and really contributes to the game's status as a "definitive entry", in my mind. I really hope to see it return in the next entry. Oh and the final reward is so, so good.

All in all, I think the game does a lot of really smart things, a couple of really misguided things, and one major thing I'm still not sure how I feel about. The timing feedback on the bottom screen and the Challenge Train are really fantastic additions, I can't emphasize that enough, and I really want to see both return in the future. The first three "tutorial" rooms are a bad idea, especially with how much better the game is at instructing players of proper timing and how much more lenient passing grades are, and while I liked the story, it straight up gets in the way. And the big factor that's preventing me from passing any definitive judgement on the game or ranking it within the series: it's mostly recycled content. Redrawing and reprogramming the returning games (specifically the GBA and Wii ones since the game seems to have used Fever as a base) is time and effort that could've gone into making more brand new games. Would I have rather had it that way? I really don't know. All I can say is that, as a veteran of the series, by the end I had a fantastic time with The Best+ after a hesitant start. I have no idea whether I can call it "the best Rhythm Heaven" or "the worst Rhythm Heaven", but I feel very comfortable calling it "the definitive Rhythm Heaven".

Top Bottom