• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rich Guy Asks People To Get Mad At Him, So They Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

http://kotaku.com/infamous-price-gouger-martin-shkreli-wants-to-collect-r-1783278015

Infamous price gouger Martin Shkreli has found his next potential scheme, and it’s a little less glamorous than his shady pharmaceutical company: Magic: The Gathering. Shkreli posted on the MTG subreddit last night fishing for details about collecting rare Magic cards. He identifies as a “new and wealthy player” who collects “wine, art and other goods,” apparently unbroken by the reported $4.5 million in unpaid taxes he owed last February.

qga5l8mwlrbneyicapm5.png

I know, I know, stop paying attention to him. But it's tough. Professional troll, this guy.

Mock if old.

Ahasverus

No, you don't know. Stop paying attention to him, you're gonna make him immune to justice when the time comes (you know how it goes for famous people) and of course will feed his poisonous ego.

And also, from all the possible trolling attempts from him, this is lame.

Lol this guy.

Does he have a public email? I am totally down to try and con him into buying some unless Japanese collectables or something.

BibiMaghoo

No one tell him about CS:GO skins.

No, tell him about them. He can waste all his unpaid tax money on buying them all up and making the owners rich, then Steam can just release loads more of the same skin and fuck him completely. Hasbro should also take note.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What if he intends to buy Magic from Hasbro so he would own all the cards? He could even make new ones just for himself and mock fans about it!

akira28

Lol this guy.

Does he have a public email? I am totally down to try and con him into buying some unless Japanese collectables or something.

I have a silver prototype of this amazing Gold, diamond and sapphire Eagle. It was originally intended for a wealthy American billionaire politician, but it was stolen. Somehow I managed to recover the prototype and I see Mr skrelli is a collector of fine arts and goods...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Haha is this dude Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh? Watch out he's going to collect all the Blues Eyes White Dragon cards!

HvySky

This dude is literally a professional troll. If it weren't for all of his drug company bullshit I might actually find it funny.

Edit:

“my game. Soon.”

Straight up super villain.

Amory

When it comes to Magic, Shkreli said on Reddit that he plays “a little, but not competitively,” referring to MTG as “my game. Soon.”

“Please don’t make a big deal of this,” he added.

lol

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Literally just yesterday there was a controversy about another guy buying out the entire stock of some rare cards and forcing the prices way up. If this guy is serious he has the wealth to do so much more damage to the than the other guy has. Although as someone else already said, it would be fascinating to see WoTC forced to make some changes based on the buyout of a bunch of Reserved cards.

Zee-Row

Banned
I kinda of want him to buy every Blue and Red Eyes white dragon Yu-Gi-Oh card and then live stream himself ripping all the cards so that nobody can ever use them against him Seto Kaiba style.

Literally just yesterday there was a controversy about another guy buying out the entire stock of some rare cards and forcing the prices way up. If this guy is serious he has the wealth to do so much more damage to the than the other guy has. Although as someone else already said, it would be fascinating to see WoTC forced to make some changes based on the buyout of a bunch of Reserved cards.
I can tell you even if it does, it will be months before they formally communicate their thoughts on the subject. Dismantling this problem is way more complicated than just addressing the reserve list. What do you do when your product cant be bought by consumers because it is universally held by one party?

vikki

Martin, this is a Mountain, the rarest of all the MTG cards. I've got a box full of them and You can have them at a bargain for only $10,000 a pop.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To ruin the joke, Shkreli is trolling because that guy tweeted at him and Shkreli has nothing else to do but panic a subreddit.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I can tell you even if it does, it will be months before they formally communicate their thoughts on the subject. Dismantling this problem is way more complicated than just addressing the reserve list. What do you do when your product cant be bought by consumers because it is universally held by one party?

Oh for sure, I think months is being generous even.

There's still the possibility he's just trolling, especially considering the controversy about the latest buyouts.

Regiruler

I kinda of want him to buy every Blue and Red Eyes white dragon Yu-Gi-Oh card and then live stream himself ripping all the cards so that nobody can ever use them against him Seto Kaiba style.

Good luck, there's a hundred thousand of those in circulation.

Hell, I'd say blue-eyes has broken a million with the fact that it has a buttload of printings.

I enjoy tcgs but find them to be a huge fucking scam. The random nature of boosters is a nightmare.

Hobbyist gaming is a nightmare in terms of cost... but I enjoy it none the less

The Market will find a way.
Chinese counterfeits

"I'm interested in starting to collect cards" is just about one step away from being as far away as possible from "I'm going to own all of the rare cards."

Arkeband

Banned
Is it though? It seems pretty basic and blatant.

Its craft is in its simplicity.

He wanders into a den of nerds who all know exactly who he is, in an account named his own name, introduces himself as merely as "a collector of art, wine, and other fine foods", and asks what is most valuable to them.

Cue mental breakdowns. Hilarious. 10/10.

DrArchon

I'd love for him to buy up all the rarest cards only for WotC to come out and say "Fuck the reserve list, please pre-order Formerly Reserved Masters" and just crater the value of all of these cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom