• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard 'Hamster' Hammond of The Grand Tour thinks ice cream is for homosexuals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mommy, those two men are eating Ice-cream!

Don't look at them Ricky, I don't want you to be influenced by...oh god no!

It's too late mother, I have seen everything

CGzhLwVWgAAWkWd.jpg

Vitten

Who the hell associates eating an icecream with sucking dicks ? Talk about far fetched and unfunny.

I mean, I don't give a shit about political correctness and I like a good gay/straight/racial/whatever might be considered offensive - joke just as much as the next guy but at least try and keep things witty please..

I'm betting they get fired and then someone like Sony gives them 25million to make a Top gear movie.
Only logical next step after Fracas-gate.

Amory

*shrug*, if the guy isn't eating ice cream because he thinks it's for gay people he's only hurting himself

More likely he was just making a dumb attempt at a penis joke.

3rdman

I just watched the episode the other way. I just thought it was a joke, a pretty bad one, too. Actually ate an ice cream lol.
But I don't quite get how this is a 300+ posts topic on GAF.

To me, the whole segment came off as an inside joke and from the link above, it seems I was right. Stupid joke and really not funny but the response shouldn't surprise you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mines bigger

But as fat? ( > ᗝ > )

Obviously he's telling a joke, so I don't get why folks are so offended. It's a pretty bad joke, but it's standard for Top Gear/Grand Tour to poke fun at things in any way they can to stir up controversy by people being easily offended.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
What they should have done is cut back to the studio later in the show and everyone in the audience, James, Jeremy, the camera guys, the producers, everybody is eating ice cream except for Hammond.

What they should have done is cut back to the studio later in the show and everyone in the audience, James, Jeremy, the camera guys, the producers, everybody is eating ice cream except for Hammond.

I mean, Clarkson and May call him out on how ridiculous it is. It is entirely scripted and a badly written attempt at a joke.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I mean, Clarkson and May call him out on how ridiculous it is. It is entirely scripted and a badly written attempt at a joke.

I know, which is why if they wanted to try and emphasize the absurdity of the joke they should have gone all out. Instead we got a weakly delivered joke that did nothing but put gaffers in a tizzy.

Famassu

I don't get it. Like seriously, I don't get it, I don't get how it's funny, I don't get how it's bigoted either.

I'm reminded of American Dad and how they had a joke about Mojitos being gay. That worked because there was a cultural context for it, "ha, ha homosexual people like sweet alcoholic drinks." That could be construed as homophobic, not really because it was making any sort of expressedly negative statement but because it is a stereotype and stereotypes are net negative.

This is like saying "I don't ride roller coasters because I'm not Mongolian." It has no context, so maybe it's some attempt at absurdist humor? Or maybe it's on the level of "ha, ha I'm an idiot and said something stupid that doesn't make sense." Either way it failed hard, but I don't know what I'm supposed to take away here. This is not any known stereotype I'm familiar so is it a negative? Is it at the expense of homosexuals or Richard Hammond? I don't even.
"I can't do thing X because it's gay" is a really stupid and bigoted way of thinking, doesn't matter whether it's some common gay cliche (like colourful, sweet alcoholic drinks being something mostly women and gay men drink) or something else like eating ice cream, assuming we aren't talking about anal sex or sucking dick or any other sex-related thing a gay man might do to another gay man.

kaitoe

Yeah the joke would've been better among friends and not on TV... but as someone who is gay and has pretended to deep throat a very tall ice cream cone in front of my close friends as a joke... I laughed.

Mawnster

I'm guessing he's saying this because ice cream cones look phallic? (never seen conical shaped dicks, but whatevs) If we follow his own logic he probably doesn't eat a lot of other stuff.

Man, I would hate to stop eating hot dogs or pickles.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
1) What does CHM stand for?

2) What meltdown?

Clarkson, Hammond, May.

Easy way to talk about the trio.

And have you missed the 8 page thread on gaf about an obvious light hearted joke where people are actually acting like he really thinks that ice cream is for gay men?

But I forget sometimes that Gaf can be a PC hipster echo chamber where everyone cries and needs a safe place yet act like others need to grow up...

PSqueak

Banned
And have you missed the 8 page thread on gaf about an obvious light hearted joke where people are actually acting like he really thinks that ice cream is for gay men?

But I forget sometimes that Gaf can be a PC hipster echo chamber where everyone cries and needs a safe place yet act like others need to grow up...

Let's be fair tho, we're at a point in time where someone could spout something like that completely unironically and wouldn't be surprising.

Sure it's a "joke" but, it's so weird, one can't help but think "if someone made a joke of it, chances are someone out there has heard it said unironically".

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Let's be fair tho, we're at a point in time where someone could spout something like that completely unironically and wouldn't be surprising.

Sure it's a "joke" but, it's so weird, one can't help but think "if someone made a joke of it, chances are someone out there has heard it said unironically".

We've always been at that "point" if anything there is far less of that sort of thing now.

And this is CHM, you'd have to be fucking stupid to sit there and think what they're saying is 100% serious or anything other then a joke.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom