• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard 'Hamster' Hammond of The Grand Tour thinks ice cream is for homosexuals

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is CHM, you'd have to be fucking stupid to sit there and think what they're saying is 100% serious or anything other then a joke.

That isn't what this is about though. It's not okay to look down on something and refer to it as gay, since that literally means you're looking down on being gay. Hammond's "joke" only makes sense if you accept prima facie that being gay is inferior. The joke is about how he doesn't like ice cream, and in turn that means he's not joking about the thought of homosexuality as lesser.

That's problematic and far from harmless.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That isn't what this is about though. It's not okay to look down on something and refer to it as gay, since that literally means you're looking down on being gay. Hammond's "joke" only makes sense if you accept prima facie that being gay is inferior. The joke is about how he doesn't like ice cream, and in turn that means he's not joking about the thought of homosexuality as lesser.

That's problematic and far from harmless.

Please never go to a comedy show, you'll die from being offended...

Yes, because that's the crux of the issue, not a shitty joke from a writing staff that seems to think that ice cream turns you gay.

It's because we don't want to get offended.

You do realize that GAF has actual sexual minorities that have come out against this tasteless at best joke and insulting at worst joke, right?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Kindly respond to my point maybe instead of repeatedly deflecting. Comedy is far from immune from criticism as 'just jokes.'

It was intended to be a joke.

It was delivered as a joke.

It was taken as a joke by the vast majority.

The truth is, anything can be joked about as long as it's intended and delivered as a joke.

There is none of this bullshit "by being joked about it's has to be seen as being inferior".

It's because we don't want to get offended.

Then lock yourself in a little windowless room with zero contact from the outside world.

The truth is, anything can be joked about as long as it's intended and delivered as a joke.

So if I, as a white comedian, go onto a stage and start off with demeaning, racist caricatures and acts of a black person, as long as the crowd laughs, it's totes ok?

There are some things you shouldn't joke about, full stop. Especially if they are as tone-deaf and stupid as the one Hammond did.

I'm outraged

Someone send him a rocket car to test, please.

Clarkson, Hammond, May.

Easy way to talk about the trio.

And have you missed the 8 page thread on gaf about an obvious light hearted joke where people are actually acting like he really thinks that ice cream is for gay men?

But I forget sometimes that Gaf can be a PC hipster echo chamber where everyone cries and needs a safe place yet act like others need to grow up...

Oh Mr. Ambassador. With all these Ferraro Shitposts you're really spoiling us.

1) stop wishing harm on him
2) if people are offended and you're not then try and see it from their point of view
3) if you're incapable of (2) then consider the reply button a risky click because you will come off as an asshole
4) I'm sorry you're such horrible people.

I'm not denying this, but if you make dumb bigoted jokes hey people are going to object and it's not because they live in thin-skinned echo chambers.

But for some reason you can't think of it in any other context. And I'm the one who should stay indoors lest the world challenge my viewpoints, apparently.

So if I, as a white comedian, go onto a stage and start off with demeaning, racist caricatures and acts of a black person, as long as the crowd laughs, it's totes ok?

There are some things you shouldn't joke about, full stop. Especially if they are as tone-deaf and stupid as the one Hammond did.

On Netflix right now is a stand up show where the comedian jokes about a real life little girl who went missing being dead, raped or in the sex trade.

Comedy is pretty accepting of all things awful.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'm not denying this, but if you make dumb bigoted jokes hey people are going to object and it's not because they live in thin-skinned echo chambers.

Especially if they are as tone-deaf and stupid as the one Hammond did.

I must have missed the part where the audience all unanimously booed the presenters.

Or even in this thread a good portion of which is laughing with the joke.

The vast majority found this funny and that would include gay people as well.

I must have missed the part where the audience all unanimously booed the presenters.

I'm gay and I find this shit repugnant.

I'm a fan of the show and I find this shit repugnant.

Attitudes like "it's just a joke mate" are why the word "gay" is still an insult.

Maledict

Thing is, you actually have to make people laugh to get away with distasteful jokes.

Also, kicking down on minorities who suffer shit every day is a cheap and lazy form of humour that frankly sucks.

I'm a fan of the show and I find this shit repugnant.

Attitudes like "it's just a joke mate" are why the word "gay" is still an insult.

And there we go.

But of course, you going to deny that too Satan? Call Frozen an SJW, one that lives in an echo chamber?

Own up to the fact that CHM are shitheads. That this joke is dumb, and shouldn't fly when you have minorities, sexual or racial, being killed for what they are.

It was a shit joke but I don't see how it's really offensive in totallity. The joke is clearly on Hammond because it is a ridiculous idea that even the known neadertal Clarkson thinks is absurd. It's a weak play on the "putting anything phallic in your mouth makes you gay" trope. But it's pretty harmless since he was immediately shot down.

Beefy

I'm bi and find it disgusting. Gay/bi people are put done enough as it is without shit "jokes" about us.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is obviously a joke but the writing is atrocious and the delivery bad. It is absurd from top to bottom.

You just have to ask why the hell was this included? Who thought this was a good idea? I don't see how anyone could get offended - it reflects very well on homosexual taste.

You can even see in Clarkson's eyes a moment of bafflement.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'm bi and find it disgusting. Gay/bi people are put done enough as it is without shit "jokes" about us.

And there we go.

But of course, you going to deny that too Satan? Call Frozen an SJW, one that lives in an echo chamber?

On a scale of 1 to strawman where do you think you guys rate?

And if you can't see the echo chamber effect by page 2 then you are so deep in said chamber you don't even realise it exists.

Own up to the fact that CHM are shitheads. That this joke is dumb, and shouldn't fly when you have minorities, sexual or racial, being killed for what they are.

And people get killed for being rich and white?

I do love how hard you're trying to twist the narrative to make it seem like I support hate crimes though. It's a joke in and of itself.

So apparently not an actual dig at homosexuals or ice cream lovers, but a reference to an infamous Finnish ice cream advert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Dyjq8jSFQ
Oh my god I'm so offended. What is the world coming to!!!

I didn't miss any of these things. I'm asking you to reflect why you can't put the people who objected, regardless of their sexual orientation, on the same footing as those who are fans of the show and laughed. They have their reasons and it's not because they're sheltered and fragile or idiots, as you have repeatedly suggested. Again I point out the irony in you not having a shred of empathy while accusing others of not being open minded.

And if you can't see the echo chamber effect by page 2 then you are so deep in said chamber you don't even realise it exists.

And people get killed for being rich and white?

I do love how hard you're trying to twist the narrative to make it seem like I support hate crimes though. It's a joke in and of itself.

I would say it's time to stop posting.

TedHub

Banned

The thing I'm not getting with your argument is what defense is offered to a message by the nature of it being a joke. Because it seems to me that it offers none, and that one should expect to be able to respond to criticism with something smarter than "it's just a joke". Imagine if you got upset about something shitty I said about you and I defended myself with "oh, it's just something I said."

Beefy

Are you bi or gay? Are you joked about and treated like less then human just because of your sexuality? Again a person that uses echo chamber to try and justify a shit joke that has annoyed people.

I am not calling for him to be sacked I am saying they have to accept they fucked up and he came across as a bigot.

Ehh it was just a joke.

Thought it was some bad stuff how some people reacted.

I think people are hypersensitive to the Top Gear crew, knowing full well that Clarkson is a complete ass and Hammond can be a dick. They saw Hammond's line and reacted to it. But they are ignoring the fact that what he said wasn't the joke.

It doesn't help that the joke in total was weak and useless.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I didn't miss any of these things. I'm asking you to reflect why you can't put the people who objected, regardless of their sexual orientation, on the same footing as those who are fans of the show and laughed. They have their reasons and it's not because they're sheltered and fragile or idiots, as you have repeatedly suggested. Again I point out the irony in you not having a shred of empathy while accusing others of not being open minded.

I will never have empathy for PC hipster manchildren who have a cry about anything and everything because someone might be offended.

These people need to grow up.

Are you bi or gay? Are you joked about and treated like less then human just because of your sexuality? Again a person that uses echo chamber to try and justify a shit joke that has annoyed people.

No, instead i'm well overweight and have put up with the exact same shit my entire life.

I will never have empathy for PC hipster manchildren who have a cry about anything and everything because someone might be offended.

These people need to grow up.

...even though there have been actual, honest to god gay / bi people in this thread saying that the joke was tasteless at it's very best.

So this temper tantrum you are having, calling people 'PC hipster manchildren' sure is doing a good job of showing your maturity.

You grow up.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
...even though there have been actual, honest to god gay / bi people in this thread saying that the joke was tasteless at it's very best.

Can confirm. I'm gay, and I love Ice Cream cones.

I love ice-cream, that's why I don't need to come out as gay

I'm a lesbian and I love icecream

Can confirm

I'm lesbian and love ice cream.

can confirm. All of the guy's I've slept with have loved ice cream.

Clarkson punched a man because his food was cold.

And I've seen people get coward punched just because they were walking down a street.

Human beings have been known to get into fights.

Richard Hammond is not a comedian, and what he said is not comedy.

Comedy is an intelligent craft.

Top Gear didn't become what it was by being serious...

PeaceUK

A lot of people seem to have missed the joke entirely, the joke wasn't that eating an ice cream is gay, its that Hammond THOUGHT it was gay, your supposed to laugh at Hammonds absurdity.

Its not a malicious attack on gay people, despite what people in this thread seem to think. If anything its an attack on homophobes and their warped thinking. Grand Tour is a scripted show, for people to personally attacking Hammond for this when its obviously not real isn't a good look.

Richard Hammond is not a comedian, and what he said is not comedy.

Comedy is an intelligent craft.

Hammond is one of the main hosts of a comedic car show. He is clearly classified as a comedian. Feel free to judge his shit humor but don't say things that are completely ridiculous to justify your opinion.

I also disagree that what he said isn't comedy. He made a completely ridiculous statement that nobody agrees with, including himself, and quickly became the butt of the joke when he was mocked by his cohosts. It wasn't good comedy but are we really going to act like he seriously thinks straight people shouldn't eat ice cream?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Comparing being over weight to sexual orientation now? I can't take you seriously any more.

So having put up with shit my entire life and being treated as sub human by many means nothing now since it's not because of sexual orientation? Ok.

Side note, yes, I do joke about fat people including myself and I don't give 2 shits if someone tries to joke about me.

So having put up with shit my entire life and being treated as sub human by many means nothing now since it's not because of sexual orientation? Ok.

Side note, yes, I do joke about fat people including myself and I don't give 2 shits if someone tries to joke about me.

Oh I guess that means you are the police about what minorities are allowed to be offended over.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Did I say that?

That's exactly what you said.

You tried to say that 2 situations that aren't always easy to avoid that both end up in ridicule, mocking and being treated like general shit aren't comparable because one isn't based on sexual orientation.

Plum

And I've seen people get coward punched just because they were walking down a street.

Human beings have been known to get into fights.

So a group getting angry because they've been directly belittled "cry about anything" but someone who resorts to physical violence because of a slight inconvenience is "just going with human nature"?

Wow.

Mawnster

You tried to say that 2 situations that aren't always easy to avoid that both end up in ridicule, mocking and being treated like general shit aren't comparable because one isn't based on sexual orientation.

Correct, he did imply they are not comparable. He did not, however, say, that what you went through meant nothing.

Both situations are simply not comparable.

Call me when a priest refuses to marry you because God hates fat people.

Alavard

No, instead i'm well overweight and have put up with the exact same shit my entire life.

I'm not the one you're responding to, but I think it's because you said you've had to put up with the "exact same shit" as the LGBT community. And since you seem to want to play oppression olympics, I can tell you that no you fucking have not. It's not right to make fun of people for being overweight, but come the fuck on, there's no human rights crisis of overweight people being killed en mass or denied the right to be married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom