• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Ross is the Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ok, I've already spelled it out, but I'll try to do it again. Bryan Cranston doesn't play himself in Breaking Bad. He plays a character. At the end of his work day, when he goes home to his wife and kids, or when he does an interview for Entertainment Weekly, he doesn't pretend that he's the psychopathic meth cook Walter White. Now Lil Wayne does rap about himself, telling stories of mostly fictitious drug deals and assaults. Now, the thing is, he also has a record to back up the assertion that he does live the life of a thug. He's been arrested for weapons and coke possessions. How is that the same as Joe Pesci or James Gandolfini, I don't know...

Rick Ross doesn't play himself also! Rick Ross isn't even his name.. so really you are saying it is ok for an actor to play a gangster but not for a rapper..

They don't tell stories about themselves or else their raps would be about waking up late, and recording in the studio.. It's telling a story just like Joe Pesci did...

agrajag

Banned
Lil Wayne does that because he (like 2Pac and countless others before him) stupidly starts to buy into this idea of "street cred" and starts to feel like he has to live out his rap fantasy in order to prove himself to some dumbasses who question how real he is. Somehow, if it turned out that Rick Ross went home to a wife and kids and had a regular, square life away from his rap persona, I doubt people would have LESS of an issue with him. If anything they'd criticize him more. Doesn't make those people any less stupid. If you believe half the shit these guys are saying, take it as gospel, or are inspired by it, you are either A) an idiot or B) a poor kid with shitty parental supervision.

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote. I don't think people like Wayne and Rick are helping matters, maybe that's just me. And I also think you guys underestimate just how many people buy into the whole street cred thing.

Rick Ross doesn't play himself also! Rick Ross isn't even his name.. so really you are saying it is ok for an actor to play a gangster but not for a rapper..

Well, it's not his government name. I don't think many rappers go by their government names.. But I don't think you'll ever hear Ross say in some interview like "yeah, this is a character I play on my albums." Hell, even in this thread, every person including yourself is referring to him as Rick Ross! Come on, we don't say Tony Soprano when we're discussing James Gandolfini!

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote. I don't think people like Wayne and Rick are helping matters, maybe that's just me. And I also think you guys underestimate just how many people buy into the whole street cred thing.

I don't think it's their responsibility to cater to people who are too dumb to figure it out. If listening to Rick Ross or Lil Wayne causes some simp to turn to a life of crime, then he was probably a lost cause anyway.

Esch

Banned
I hate that damn song lol

i5oynJ1BYzgub.gif

DEE N***UHZ WONT HOL ME BACK

i5oynJ1BYzgub.gif

i5oynJ1BYzgub.gif

DEE HOES WONT HOL ME BACK

i5oynJ1BYzgub.gif

Blackace

Well, it's not his government name. I don't think many rappers go by their government names.. But I don't think you'll ever hear Ross say in some interview like "yeah, this is a character I play on my albums." Hell, even in this thread, every person including yourself is referring to him as Rick Ross! Come on, we don't say Tony Soprano when we're discussing James Gandolfini!

Most people don't know who James Gandolfini is until you say Tony Soprano and of course we call him Rick Ross, because that is the character he is..

A lot of rappers say they aren't really out there like their songs say but their songs are based on real life stuff..

FStop7

Banned
If we're going to hate on someone can we at least hate on Future's terrible autotune singing? He makes Biz Markie sound like Pavarotti.

Blackace

I like that one song of his. I can't remember the name but it's the one where he says Tony Montana.

Jeezy remix is better..

The beat is crazy...

Also as a DJ it is funny when you get these questions.

"What is the name of the Meek Mill song where he says "Flexin Flexin Flexin on them ninjas over and over again?"

"Fexin."

"Yeah what is the name of the song?"

rinse and repeat for an old Abbot and Costello routine

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
He's easy on the ears, and like 50 they get the hook-ups on the beats of the year which do most of the work for making the track sound good.

Thing is that he got exposed for being the complete opposite of what he was portraying, which should have killed his career quicker than being a ballerina or a back-up dancer, but here he is, still alive on 2012.

Actors like De Niro are just the same as rappers now?
Guess that brings new meaning to the term method acting.....

Lol... I see you Jo.

This thread is so full of... I dont know. Wrong. Always crazy to see what non hip hop fans think of rappers.

99% of rappers dont do the shit they rap about. Im pretty sure Pac shot a undercover cop though.

Hold up yall do know that Dre aint actually a doctor right??

Baconbitz

Banned
I keep thinkin' that if Vanilla Ice was a rapper today rather then way back he would still be rapping. Sure you'd have us tearing him apart but if it's anything like Ross he'd be a hit in the game.

Blackace

I like that one song where he grunts a lot.

Yeah, I'd throw DMX and T.I. in there too. And probably take out Master P.

DMX yeah.. TI just suffers from Napoleon complex..

And Master P is the southern Eazy E.. Made his record off of drug money..

Blackace

I keep thinkin' that if Vanilla Ice was a rapper today rather then way back he would still be rapping. Sure you'd have us tearing him apart but if it's anything like Ross he'd be a hit in the game.

I doubt it.. I think you actually have to be good with the media instead of a giant douche bag.

If he wouldn't have tried to lie about his past and who he knew in interviews he would have been alright

Vanilla Ice fell off because he was a one hit wonder. He could never follow up Ice Ice Baby. It had nothing to do with him not being "real". I hate this idea that people keep pushing that mainstream rappers in the 90s were somehow more credible than the rappers of today. The guys around today are just more calculated about it.

He boldly lied to get street cred..

True, but the crowd that made him a star didn't really care about that stuff. Ice Ice Baby was just the Macarena to them. The rest of his songs sucked so he disappeared. If he had more "Ice Ice Baby's" in him, he would have stuck around back then too. It's not like people had this greater ability to sniff out frauds in 1992.

Blackace

True, but the crowd that made him a star didn't really care about that stuff. Ice Ice Baby was just the Macarena to them. The rest of his songs sucked so he disappeared. If he had more "Ice Ice Baby's" in him, he would have stuck around back then too. It's not like people had this greater ability to sniff out frauds in 1992.

If he would have kept his mouth shut and didn't try to play up how hard he was and where he was from and all that..

And released another semi-hit he would have still gotten hung out the window by Suge Knight

charsace

lol Freeway gets a pass because?

Freeway talked to the real Rick Ross about using his name and Rick was ok with it.

I don't have problems with dudes rapping and telling stories. I have a problem with Ross stealing a guys identity down to his name. Then when the guy takes him to court over using his likeness for financial gain Ross claimed he never heard of him. You know that Jayz, Lil Wayne, etc are stage names. Dude pushes Rick Ross like its his real name.

The real Rick Ross has actually had to protect him because there are dudes that are willing to kill fake Ricky for it.

If some rapper took my cousin's name and pretended to be him 24/7 I would be pissed.

Blackace

Freeway talked to the real Rick Ross about using his name and Rick was ok with it.

I don't have problems with dudes rapping and telling stories. I have a problem with Ross stealing a guys identity down to his name. Then when the guy takes him to court over using his likeness for financial gain Ross claimed he never heard of him. You know that Jayz, Lil Wayne, etc are stage names. Dude pushes Rick Ross like its his real name.

The real Rick Ross has actually had to protect him because there are dudes that are willing to kill fake Ricky for it.

If some rapper took my cousin's name and pretended to be him 24/7 I would be pissed.

The real Rick Ross was ok with it until the correctional officer thing broke.

And that is something for them to deal with not us

Uh... "Freeway" Rick Ross IS the real Rick Ross (as in it is his actual name - excluding the freeway part which is used to differentiate the two - and not a fake persona). He is also not okay with it.

"Freeway" Rick Ross was on Joe Rogan's podcast a couple of times and talked about his past and his relationship with "correctional officer" Rick Ross extensively. I'd advise people to listen to them if they want a better understanding of the entire situation.

I wish the real Rick Ross would get out of Jail and teach him a lesson.
He was released in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom