• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge racer 3ds Vs Ridge Racer Vita: what a difference a year makes

3ds version drop to like... 15 fps if theres a car drifting in front of you leaving smoke. it becomes extremely obvious it runs like SHIT.

really? that's disappointing

I held off the 3DS game because I figured I might as well wait for the Vita version. And then that turned out the way it did. Now I'm with no Ridge Racer game (except the two on PSP, dozens on other systems)

DS (2004)
ridge-racer-ds-20041201105151492_640w.jpg

PSP (2004)
ridge-racer-20050301030811919_640w.jpg

Things haven't changed at all in the last 8 years. :p

Peru

RR3DS isn't good for any comparisons. Game was a scam in terms of technology, nothing about it made use of the system's graphical capabilities.

fernoca

I anything, I wonder if there was doubt or some questioned the visuals between both games; which lead to this thread.

I thought it was...common sense that the Vita version looked better.

Though, technically it wasn't a "year"; since the game was released last year in Japan. So..what a difference 10 months make?

:p

ShinNL

Vita's screens should've been 3DS' and Vita should've had much more impressive visuals. Namco sucks.

And the FPS on both = WTF.

And the UI on the 3DS = LOL.

Seriously, Scamco, F off.

AzaK

I don't understand the point of this topic. A recent handheld that has high end tech in it is outshining an older tech for a handheld released much earlier?

The Vita blows the 3DS away wrt raw power and graphical ability so it's no real surprise, although I would argue the 3DS one isn't being used to its fullest.

BTW: I am a happy 3DS owner and don't (And won't) own a Vita.

Durante

I am normally against off-screen pictures, but I do like it for the purpose of comparing two handheld systems. They do well in capturing differences that are lost in a framebuffer comparison, like pixel density or screen quality.

DS (2004)
ridge-racer-ds-20041201105151492_640w.jpg

PSP (2004)
ridge-racer-20050301030811919_640w.jpg

Things haven't changed at all in the last 8 years. :p
What changed is that back then Namco was making pretty good use of both DS and PSP. Now they suck on both 3DS and Vita.

Well RR3DS had a whole ton of content, then RRVita... didn't. So the point of this thread is that Ridge Racer games have a half life of one year?

I am normally against off-screen pictures, but I do like it for the purpose of comparing two handheld systems. They do well in capturing differences that are lost in a framebuffer comparison, like pixel density or screen quality.

What changed is that back then Namco was making pretty good use of both DS and PSP. Now they suck on both 3DS and Vita.

psp version looked awesome, but the nds version was shitty

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This thread is hilarious. Why are some of you guys so angry at a comparison graphically when you know that the 3ds isnt as powerful as the vita? I thought its was a nice comparison and shows that the 3ds had more attention to detail than I thought

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Regardless of how they look, of the two - RR 3DS is the better game as things start simply because of the expanded content. And that's the important thing right now.

However, as RR gets more and more content it'll be come a lot better than it is right now. I'm playing RR Vita more than i expected post patch/content, with a good few more tracks and maybe a rejigging of the off line mode then it could be something good.

not defending RR Vita, but more doesn't always equal better. With racing games I tend to choose one or two tracks and race over and over to improve my times. I guess more tracks = more variety to choose from though.

With RR1 on PSone I just obsessed over getting a perfect lap on the very first 'track' configuration (wasn't it basically just one track with different bits turned on/off to make new layouts?)

Daytona USA in the arcade I probably spent hundreds of pounds on, the vast majority just on the Expert track, shaving fractions of a second off to beat my friend. So good

nds version was a bad port of the n64 version, which was bad already. and yet I bought it anyway.

Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make. the NDS game wasn't completely terrible, but it was still a lazy port of the N64 game. It was pretty painful when you put it beside the PSP game.

Thoraxes

30 FPS on Vita.....

Good thing they spent a lot of time making the graphics better. So good in fact, that they didn't need to give you more than 3 tracks.

Cipherr

Vita has better hardware, and its games, will on average always be visually superior to 3DS titles, by a wide wide margin.

I just saved the OP 6 years of shock.

Can't believe I just saw a full thread for a games graphics comparison. Im thinking the last time was..... maybe Killzone 2 vs Halo or some such? Its been a while. Guy literally has zero content in his OP for conversation. Just some off screen pictures and a wish.

Cipherr

Yup, the framerate is higher than the 3DS version too.

It's always going to be interesting seeing how wide the margin is.

Be reasonable, and not create a new thread for it every time is all we ask. I can understand it a bit when we are talking about bleeding edge graphical powerhouses, but these handhelds aren't doing anything we haven't already seen years ago visually. Or for crying out loud, at least add a little something in the OP for us to discuss, this topic has nowhere to go.

disap.ed

I think 3DS would have no problems putting out RR Vita's graphics if Namco would at least have put some effort in it. What I want to say is that Namco sucks.

acm2000

you can compare the graphics all you want, but one is an actual full game, the other, is an empty bin with some gaming maggots crawling around in the bottom

that said, both are bad

SmokyDave

Be reasonable, and not create a new thread for it every time is all we ask. I can understand it a bit when we are talking about bleeding edge graphical powerhouses, but these handhelds aren't doing anything we haven't already seen years ago visually. Or for crying out loud, at least add a little something in the OP for us to discuss, this topic has nowhere to go.
Have you seen many of these threads? This is the first that I've seen.

These are the 'new' handhelds. The 'next-gen' handhelds. You're crazy if you think people are going to have no interest in comparing them just because one is obviously more powerful than the other. I'd rather look at comparisons like this than try and spot a minute difference on a 360 / PS3 comparison.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
And yet I still won't buy RR on 3DS or Vita because RR2 on PSP is the upper tier of the franchise. The fact that Namco can not, or will not, surpass it should be enough for people to not bother buying either releases.

stilgar

The point of this thread is beoynd me.

You take :

- a crappy game

- released on two very different systems

And you conclude these are the differences a year makes?

At least use direct-feed 3DS screens too to make it a fair comparison. I could take a photo of a 360 game using my camera phone and it'd look shitter than the Vita.

32929screen08033x.jpg

Granted, the Vita game still obviously looks better but the whole thread seems to be designed to flick the finger at 3DS.

Either way, I couldn't care less what the game looks like - I own both and both are still fun but Ridge Racer is Ridge Racer and I'd rather play with 30 tracks (15 and reverse) than 6 tracks (3 and reverse) with a slow stream of them coming in over time.

RR3DS isn't a looker per se but 3D does actually work very well in this game. I haven't played PSV RR so I can't really compare. OP, since you have played both, how does the 3D effect compare to the higher visual fidelity of the PSV version?

psp version looked awesome, but the nds version was shitty
This.

Shit, it's less than 30? Bad bad Scamco. Shame on them. RR should not be anything lower than 60 FPS on any system.

Horrible cash-ins at both launches (in Japan anyways).
In general it's not less than 30 FPS, there are framerate drops, but in my experience they haven't been too bad. Still inexcusable though. Dunno if the PSV version is stable all the time (see above).

Cipherr

Have you seen many of these threads? This is the first that I've seen.

These are the 'new' handhelds. The 'next-gen' handhelds. You're crazy if you think people are going to have no interest in comparing them just because one is obviously more powerful than the other. I'd rather look at comparisons like this than try and spot a minute difference on a 360 / PS3 comparison.

Are you seriously on the side of terrible threads like this? As in MORE of them? We dont see threads like this, because people tend to try not the create terrible threads. Noone has anything against you comparing the visuals of one game versus another, but use the bloody search function and put it in the games OT, and if there isnt an OT for the game, use the OT for the handheld/console, and if there isnt a console OT, make one. And if all else fails, make the thread, but put a little more content in it than a one liner that we all already know.

People made PS3 and 360 comparisons because it was actually close in terms of ability. Lets not pretend thats the case here. Not even sure why on earth you are on the side of this nonsense.

SmokyDave

Are you seriously on the side of terrible threads like this? As in MORE of them? We dont see threads like this, because people tend to try not the create terrible threads. Noone has anything against you comparing the visuals of one game versus another, but use the bloody search function and put it in the games OT, and if there isnt an OT, make one. And if all else fails, make the thread, but put a little more content in it than a one liner that we all already know.

People made PS3 and 360 comparisons because it was actually close in terms of ability. Lets not pretend thats the case here. Not even sure why on earth you are on the side of this nonsense.

Because it's interesting. That simple. Here we have 2 machines competing in the same gen for the same market at the same time and one of them is obviously far more powerful. Seeing how that extra power is used and where developers choose to use it is interesting to me. I own both devices but I'm not always going to buy 2 copies of the same game just to check this stuff out myself.

The question ought to be, why are people coming into this topic if it's going to piss them off? The title makes it clear what you're getting, so why come in and complain? Is anyone complaining that doesn't own a 3DS? I doubt it.

Cipherr

i remember when Ridge Racer was a good series back on the PS1, what a difference a couple of years make.

Whats more strange to me is that I dont ever remember the game ever having a shitload of tracks. Its been years, but I remember RR being light on track count, but it had reversed maps and stuff right?

In any case, now its suddenly a huge deal that the Vita version only has a few maps.

Because it's interesting. That simple. Here we have 2 machines competing in the same gen for the same market at the same time and one of them is obviously far more powerful. Seeing how that extra power is used and where developers choose to use it is interesting to me. I own both devices but I'm not always going to buy 2 copies of the same game just to check this stuff out myself.

The question ought to be, why are people coming into this topic if it's going to piss them off? The title makes it clear what you're getting, so why come in and complain? Is anyone complaining that doesn't own a 3DS? I doubt it.

Comparing system power by using one of the laziest developers out there? Why not do hot laps with a driving student to determine a cars full potential.

The title "What a difference a year makes" doesn't actually make it that clear. It could have been talking about actual in-game content, saying that in a year you've gone from a game with a full single-player campaign and 30 tracks to a game with only single races and 6 tracks.

So the title alone doesn't actually say whether it's going to be putting down the 3DS version or the Vita version.

Top Bottom