• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge racer 3ds Vs Ridge Racer Vita: what a difference a year makes

Yeah, nice visual upgrade. Just a shame about the lack of content a year later :/

Anyway, this thread has reminded me about how great RR 3D is, may have to play it for a bit later.

Cipherr

Because it's interesting. That simple. Here we have 2 machines competing in the same gen for the same market at the same time and one of them is obviously far more powerful. Seeing how that extra power is used and where developers choose to use it is interesting to me. I own both devices but I'm not always going to buy 2 copies of the same game just to check this stuff out myself.

The question ought to be, why are people coming into this topic if it's going to piss them off? The title makes it clear what you're getting, so why come in and complain? Is anyone complaining that doesn't own a 3DS? I doubt it.

Right.... Look if you want to have a go at the Nintendo crowd, then be my guest, I don't really care about the invisible war between the 3DS and the Vita, nor the 'soldiers' fighting on the front lines. But please spare me the details. Don't argue with me over the 'upsides' to a literal garbage system wars thread and pretend that I don't have good reason to not want to see the first page of GAF turned into gamefaqs. Silly systems wars threads are bad, and they are pretty much universally frowned upon here, and you know that. If you are genuinely interested in those comparisons for reasons with actual value, then there's really no reason not to have them in the OT's. This is not some new trend on this board.

GAF has never been big on baiting topics with no content driven by some guy who wants to play 'my toy is better than your toy'. The thread opener is vague, doesn't really specify what he is talking about, and the title is a mess. So yeah, hes going to catch a little heat for that, and people will discourage him from doing it again, at least in form as bad as this.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Whats more strange to me is that I dont ever remember the game ever having a shitload of tracks. Its been years, but I remember RR being light on track count, but it had reversed maps and stuff right?

In any case, now its suddenly a huge deal that the Vita version only has a few maps.

Well you don't really start off with learning how to use your vocal chords, to creating speech, to writing down language, and then suddenly forgetting the wealth of knowledge that is language.

RR2 on PSP should have always been the cursory point to what can be achieved on handheld RR. Thank the fans by including the old tracks, I'm sure it takes zero effort on the part of Namco to port them over and spruce them up a bit. And then you can add the new tracks/new cars via DLC if you want. There is truly no excuse to go back to barebones and say "look we're going to throw all this stuff to you over the next 8-12 months! everything will be okay!" even at a discounted price.

Start off full, add extra for the consumers who are willing to shell out money for it. Otherwise your company and its methods will cop nothing but negativity for the actions you display.

SmokyDave

Comparing system power by using one of the laziest developers out there? Why not do hot laps with a driving student to determine a cars full potential.
It's Ridge Racer at launch. Both Ridge Racer titles, both launch titles. It's not comparing system power, it's comparing Ridge Racer.

On that note, here's a direct shot I just took from the horrifying Ridge Racer iOS.

oawnz0rpud7j7d9rd68v.png

*puke*

The only way this thread is going to turn around is by offering side by side shots of all the Ridge games, preferably on the same track/in the same place. PS3, 360, Vita, 3DS, PSP, Ios, PS2, PS1. Not sure what there is in the way of shared tracks.

Shtof

Ironic that so many people ignores the point of the thread, graphical comparison, and instead start hating on Ridge Racer or discuss the lack of content in the Vita version.

But yeah, I think we all already knew that the Vita is a few years ahead of the 3DS.

ShinNL

Ironic that so many people ignores the point of the thread, graphical comparison, and instead start hating on Ridge Racer or discuss the lack of content in the Vita version.

But yeah, I think we all already knew that the Vita is a few years ahead of the 3DS.
A point is a concentrated argument, the OP is all over the place. Discussing the Vita and 3DS Ridge Racers is wrong where the screenshots and title is based on it? Yeah, no.

Furthermore, Ridge Racer 3DS is one of the ugliest 3DS games. People have commented on this (yes, also 3DS fans) since the first reveal to the launch of the game.

Ridge Racer Vita looks decent, but still not good enough: Namco puts a little bit of effort in the graphical department and the content severely lacks!?

I don't mind comparisons at all, but don't use products from a shit company like Namco for these things.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
And of course, while the graphics are better on the Vita, there's the fact that the 3DS game was rated far higher than the Vita version, plus on the 3DS, the graphics are in 3D.

tkscz

Wait why compare? Namco never really TRIES and make a Ridge Racer anymore, than just slap them on the system and send them off. We all know both versions of the game can look better graphically than what we have here,.

Donnie

DS (2004)
ridge-racer-ds-20041201105151492_640w.jpg

PSP (2004)
ridge-racer-20050301030811919_640w.jpg

Things haven't changed at all in the last 8 years. :p

Actually Namco made pretty good use of the PSP, unlikely DS/3DS and perhaps Vita. But yes Namco normally make crappy games and that hasn't changed.

What has changed however, and is emphasised quite well by this thread, is that 3DS is much closer to Vita graphically then DS was to PSP.

Also to the OP, why use off screen images? If its to compare screen quality as well then I can say the game definitely looks nothing like that on my 3DS screen, that's severely washed out.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'll stick with Ridge Racer 2 on PSP, thanks.

Having spend a few dozen hours on Ridge Racer 3DS, I will say it looks pretty good in motion. Textures are a bit shit, but the lighting really helps it.

Also to the OP, why use off screen images? If its to compare screen quality as well then I can say the game definitely looks nothing like that on my 3DS screen, that's severely washed out.

This. It's being deceptive. I've got access to a 3DS grabber, I'll grab some direct feed images later for a fair comparison.

ShinNL

I don't think direct feed will help. Ridge Racer 3DS is built on something that resembles a DS engine, based on that first reveal video.

Plus screens don't show that horrible lower FPS reflection effect, which is so ugly.

I have both RR3D and RR Vita and I can honesty say that RR3D is the better game. It may not be a graphical beast, but it was my favorite launch game, more fun to play and has way more content.

RR Vita is a nice looking game, but that's not going to help when it comes to what is most important, content. I got RR Vita for $15, which makes it a little easier to swallow, but the fact that MotorStorm RC is free and has 10x the amount of content is pathetic.

It's Ridge Racer at launch. Both Ridge Racer titles, both launch titles. It's not comparing system power, it's comparing Ridge Racer.

On that note, here's a direct shot I just took from the horrifying Ridge Racer iOS.

oawnz0rpud7j7d9rd68v.png

*puke*

So we're comparing which RR is the laziest?

I'd call them all fuck awful, but Scamco managed to fuck each game up for different reasons. Got to give them credit for that much dedication.

mclem

RR3DS isn't a looker per se but 3D does actually work very well in this game. I haven't played PSV RR so I can't really compare. OP, since you have played both, how does the 3D effect compare to the higher visual fidelity of the PSV version?

For what it's worth: I find it significantly easier to judge corners in 3D. Can't speak for RRVita specifically, but I found myself a *lot* better at RR3DS than other racers.

smug

Banned
I'm selling my 3DS ASAP guys.. who else is in? Clearly the gfx are superior and my 3DS is inferior.. I better 1up myself so I can be the cool guy with the new gaming gadget...

Wario64 where are you?

Haha. This thread.

It was trying to demonstrate the visual difference between two comparable games. What it actually demonstrated is that Ambassadors are salty.

Let's see.
One is a lazy port with ok content.
The other is an ok game with no content.

Sounds like we lose either way on this turd.

gkryhewy

Awful thread, thirty.

3DS version compares better than I would have expected, actually. It's a great game too (with actual new tracks!) -- completed it to 100%.

SmokyDave

Let's see.
One is a lazy port with ok content.
The other is an ok game with no content.

Sounds like we lose either way on this turd.
Yes, we do. See my iOS shot for further confirmation. That's why the subtitle to the Vita thread is 'The death of a once great franchise'. Sniffle.

one is one one less powerful console, one is not

what?
This much we know. How that greater power is used or how the lesser power is accounted for is the interesting bit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It was trying to demonstrate the visual difference between two comparable games. What it actually demonstrated is that Ambassadors are salty.

So true.

I was wondering is the 3DS version worth getting if you already own the PSP Ridge Racers?
I mean, it's $13 used so the price is tempting, but I don't want to buy it if it's the usual Namco cookie cutter recycle job.

Vita version looks great, too bad about the content lol.

I dunno, just from seeing this game on both handhelds makes me appreciate my 3DS more. A Vita (after playing one today as well,) seems like too much power for a handheld. As a fairly consistent gamer, I'd rather my home consoles had more value so i want to ignore the Vita.

It'll be like the PSP all over again always trying to fit console experiences on a handheld. I'd rather my iPhone than a game with massive load times and long ass cut-scenes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I dunno, just from seeing this game on both handhelds makes me appreciate my 3DS more. A Vita (after playing one today as well,) seems like too much power for a handheld. As a fairly consistent gamer, I'd rather my home consoles had more value so i want to ignore the Vita.

It'll be like the PSP all over again always trying to fit console experiences on a handheld. I'd rather my iPhone than a game with massive load times and long ass cut-scenes.

My head hurts from reading this.

You realize the 3DS has no shortage of "console experiences" like the Vita does, right? When would limiting power EVER be beneficial to devs? So the 3DS can do a poorer job of rendering graphics? I'm confused.

SmokyDave

See, now this is why this topic exists. To provide much amusement.

Veal

The difference between the 3DS and Vita versions of RR isn't a tech issue. It's an issue of effort. Namco was content in porting over what looked to be the iOS version of RR to 3DS. The visuals being pumped out in the Vita version could most likely be done on 3DS if Namco deemed it important enough. Namco usually puts more efforts into the Sony releases of the mainline Ridge Racers anyway (after previously not putting any effort into at least the Nintendo versions; the N64 and DS versions were produced in house by Nintendo.) While the Vita version certainly looks better, the 3DS version looks nice too, with 3D and nice lighting being used to great effect. Neither are coming close to what Namco achieved with the PSP games though.

I think the bigger issue was the change from having the value of the game already established, to a value add model.

Jesus GAF, he just wanted to compare the visuals.
Yeah, I don't know why it's such a big deal.

It's only natural people feel curious about how current gen handhelds compare visually or otherwise. It always happens. Hell, people make visual comparison threads about systems released many generations ago for the same reasons.

Those shots don't display the most visually appealling aspect of RR3D (and the reason it's only 30fps). As is the game looks significantly better in 3D on my 3DS screen than it does in those offscreen shots. :/

The only time I ever noticed framedrops was when using nitrous on some corners with other cars on screen, but it was for about a second before it snapped back. Pretty minor stuff really, the real problem was Namco being lazy and not optimizing a 60fps mode for 2D display.

Top Bottom