• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Total Biscuit

Castef

Banned
Please, leave the controversy out of this thread.

As for me... well, I seldom saw his videos. Yet, his latest messages moved something in me. Maybe even CHANGED something in me in relation to the meaning of our time here. For this I thank you John. And I wish you a safe travel to whichever our next stop is.

A go fund me for John's wife and son.
As I understand Genna and Orion haven't got much so if anyone can spare anything I think they would be greatly appreciative.

https://www.gofundme.com/TotalBiscuit

additionally they also have a merchandice store...

https://represent.com/store/totalbiscuit
As nice as this gesture is, and I'm not trying to be controversial because a man just died, I'm just trying to be honest... The guy was rich, if he wasn't well off I could understand this, but he was and this puzzles me.

Vawn

Banned
I'll start in about 27 days

Edit: ignore that. That was meant to be a text.... my brain is broken

Last edited:

Basoes

As nice as this gesture is, and I'm not trying to be controversial because a man just died, I'm just trying to be honest... The guy was rich, if he wasn't well off I could understand this, but he was and this puzzles me.
Cancer treatment is really really expensive, it's not a stretch to assume a majority of the money he had went into it

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I never watched a Total Biscuit video in my life, don’t know who he is other than seeing his name in thread titles, but my heart goes out to his family. Anyone who has experienced this kind of thing with a loved one, just knows.

All of those industry people who are using this to make snipes and score their internet points are less than human. They are disgusting, unfeeling, miserable and pathetic oxygen wasters. If they had any morals or self-respect, they would hang their heads in shame. I look down on all of them.

GreatnessRD

May he rest in eternal paradise. My condolences to his family, friends and fans. Such a shame to lose a person so young and full of life. Damn shame.

drotahorror

RIP TB.

Vgpznlv.jpg

Real classy Bioware.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The internet has gotten so...fucked up lately. I've been on the WWW since '93 or something, and BBSes since before that. Things used to be impersonal, sure. Everyone had a persona, people pretended to be other people all the time, guys would be girls, girls would be...hotter girls, people would talk shit about each other or anything else. But we've reached a point where it's not just internet bullshit anymore. We're connecting with each other in real ways now, people have careers on the internet. I do. TotalBiscuit did. Leigh Alexander or whoever else does, too.

I'm definitely guilty of failing to recognize where I've crossed the line and been an asshole on the internet in ways that affected people for real over the years. The "GG vs SJW" battleground stuff in particular has really poisoned video game subculture and drawn lines in the sand that have turned so many people into shitheads on both sides.

It's time to STOP. Fucking STOP. People are depersonalizing each other over the pettiest fucking bullshit, in a time when internet and real life are intersecting more than ever. It's not a game. John Bain had some opinions. You can agree or disagree. But so far as I can tell he was a decent guy, he cared about his family, he did a lot for the video game scene, and he fought cancer bravely to the end. His last words were poignant and striking and beautiful.

Celebrating the man's passing as if you want to throw a party about it is DISGUSTING. You know what, though? When Justice Scalia passed, the thought crossed my mind, too, since my head was poisoned by all the hyper-partisan politicization lately. A while later I looked into his background, though, looked into what other people had to say about him, read his various statements, and I felt like a shithead for my initial reaction to his passing. I may have disagreed with his politics very strongly, and his positions did influence the landscape of the United States and the rights of a lot of people, and that's completely fair to have strong opinions about. But he wasn't some evil cunt cartoon character. He just had a different worldview than mine, and had convictions he followed through with. I can disagree, I can feel strongly with my disagreement, but it was fucked up to be enthusiastic about his passing, and the context of that is about a million times more serious than fucking video games.

How about we take a step back, right here and now. Recognize that celebrating John Bain's passing after a difficult battle with cancer is NOT RIGHTEOUS. It is NOT something you should be glad to see in yourself. Take a long, hard look in the mirror and see if you really respect what you see if you're so poisoned by self-righteousness and hatred over petty squabbles about VIDEO GAMES that this man's tragic passing at 33 years old, leaving behind a mourning widow and child, makes you HAPPY. Step away from your computer, turn off your phone, and think about it.

On the flip side, obviously I understand being upset about how other people are acting re: the above, but obsessing over it is not healthy either. There's a fissure where hatred is flowing out of you as well, and it's not healthy for you to be dwelling on all the negativity you're seeing in others and spending all day screenshotting and archiving it and trying to tear down other people. When I was on the receiving end of all the folks trying to take me down a notch and gotcha me (it got especially intense post-GG), it made it that much easier to just dismiss the "other side" as obsessive stalker assholes with too much time on their hands and not look at the situation neutrally. I could've started taking steps to heal and reconcile the whole situation a long time ago, with folks I had been an asshole to, or with the whole GG vs SJW situation on NeoGAF or really in the entire video game subculture space. NeoGAF was center stage for a lot of it and I feel like I could've resolved it personally, maybe, or at least accomplished something of significance, had I gone back in time with my current perspective and been a better man about it. It's entirely on me that I didn't, and I don't blame anyone else, but you have to understand that the communities around the internet that formed around exposing and undermining NeoGAF, the moderation here, and myself, only served to lock us down into an us vs them mentality and see the other side as the enemy trying to doxx people and undermine our community and sometimes our livelihoods. Both sides ensured this outcome, and both sides need to be willing to put a stop to it.

I've tried to make something good come of the unfortunate confluence of events that caused a powderkeg to explode here last year. I'm totally fine with the financial losses and all that if I can grow as a person, and if I can heal some of the resentment I've caused, and if NeoGAF can be a better place in the long run. TB passed away at 33, same age as me. Cancer brings unjust suffering to far too many people, and clearly John did not have it coming and no one should want to throw a fucking party about it. It's just a tragedy, full stop. His family can't get him back, and the gaming community can't get back a loyal and enthusiastic contributor to the scene. What we can do is respect and honor the man's memory by PUTTING A FUCKING STOP TO THIS SHIT ALREADY.

Turn off the us vs them, regardless of which "side" you're on right now. It's video games. It matters to all of us, but it's still just fucking video games. We're adults. We can have a civil conversation like adults about goddamned video games, can we not? We can treat each other decently as human beings despite whatever our opinions are about video games, can we fucking not? Let's start now. Erase the line in the sand. Let go of the anger and hatred and grudges. It's gone on long enough.

Let's talk it out and put an end to this shit. I insist.

lifa-cobex

I honestly don't know too much so I leave it to everyone's own discretion.
However....
Cancer treatment is very expensive. That I do know.

pawel86ck

Banned
He is in a better place now, and if someone is afraid of dying he should learn about OOBE, because when you experience OOBE then you know for a fact our material reality is just an illusion, and in reality we are all spiritual beings who lives FOREVER. I have NO DOUBTS he is happy now, and in fact experienced OOBE explorer can contact him and ask him questions about his life now. In some cultures people are happy when someone dies, because they know very well physical death is not the end, but in our modern culture people are very afraid of daying because they are lead to believe ther's nothing more besides our material reality.

Last edited:
I will really miss this man. I loved watching his WoW videos back in the day, the guys voice really stood out.

It's quite revolting how a person would be celebrating someones death after battling cancer, as I am seeing my mother fight breast cancer as well. Devastating to see this from a BioWare employee.

lifa-cobex

Turn off the us vs them, regardless of which "side" you're on right now. It's video games. It matters to all of us, but it's still just fucking video games. We're adults. We can have a civil conversation like adults about goddamned video games, can we not? We can treat each other decently as human beings despite whatever our opinions are about video games, can we fucking not? Let's start now. Erase the line in the sand. Let go of the anger and hatred and grudges. It's gone on long enough.

Let's talk it out and put an end to this shit. I insist.

So keeping this conversation going....
[I don't know if you want to move this conversation to another thread or just drop it as it's too soon]

I pretty much agree with the majority of what you've posted but my question would be,
How do we start removing the line in the sand?

Going through all these twitter posts I simply can't meet someone halfway on that. In fact it would be the sort of thing where I myself would draw a line in the sand.
I think we all pretty much agree that what they are doing is vile and completely fucked.
https://archive.li/UuEJw
But going through why they are doing it is when the opinions start to differ.

I'm sure they would argue they are doing it because TB posted some opinions that were (in their minds) racist, sexist etc.
Now if someone wanted to debate with them and try to make some form of peace towards points of, they were taken out of context or the medication played a part in his thinking. Then please by all means.
But....
I don't believe that they feel the reason they are posting these things is for some deep seated belief.
I believe they are doing it simply because he can long longer defend himself. Either it being around his attacks towards these very people in the past or around what he has said about gaming press in general.
In fact I believe they are doing it to generate controversy, getting their name out and to generate clicks. Perhaps even some sort of shift in power to be the next big influence in the gaming scope.
I might even be bold enough to believe that these people will release articles that will drag his name through the mud. (I really fucking hope not).

It's bad I know but I can't see many people getting past so much bad blood. I don't think this line will dissolve itself anytime soon.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

David Crooks could have just simply criticize John Bain's criticism about his games but to go on and actually declare his death a celebration is just horrible.

I think David Crooks' career is done.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow all these Devs talking shit won't have dared say it when he was alive ... Fucking spinless cowards
Or just accept that some people didn't like him and ignore them.
Fuck cancer tho fuck it fuck it hard

Dunki

Or just accept that some people didn't like him and ignore them.
Fuck cancer tho fuck it fuck it hard
Not when they there are assholes like Shane Wilson Butler who is working for big studios and also being on a sex offender list made fun of his death while Harrison G Pink senior designer at blizzard liked and retweeted this bullshit.

I really hope some companies purge their employee list the next week. If not I will boycott every studio that does employ these people.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Not when they there are assholes like Shane Wilson Butler who is working for big studios and also being on a sex offender list made fun of his death while Harrison G Pink senior designer at blizzard liked and retweeted this bullshit.

I really hope some companies purge their employee list the next week. If not I will boycott every studio that does employ these people.

Hey i wasn't focussing on that guy . Just talking about people that didn't agree with him. (what is normal to do sometimes)
Again i can only speak for myself but i can't imagine wishing someone getting cancer. Even if you think he is an idiot.

nkarafo

He is in a better place now, and if someone is afraid of dying he should learn about OOBE, because when you experience OOBE then you know for a fact our material reality is just an illusion, and in reality we are all spiritual beings who lives FOREVER. I have NO DOUBTS he is happy now, and in fact experienced OOBE explorer can contact him and ask him questions about his life now. In some cultures people are happy when someone dies, because they know very well physical death is not the end, but in our modern culture people are very afraid of daying because they are lead to believe ther's nothing more besides our material reality.
This sounds like something made up just so we can feel better about the inevitable. Like many other things humans made up to feel better about dying.

Vawn

Banned
The amount of hatred from a segment of people who call themselves progressive or demand tolerance and acceptance of certain groups is disgusting and hypocritical. They seek out people to hate and disguise it in some perverted sense of self-rightousness. A culture I feel even this site at least tolerated before the change.

Sometimes it's demanding someone's job be taken or their life be ruined over some deed or belief they don't personally agree with. It could be calling someone a Nazi or supremacist for expressing a different political view. Or even celebrating the death of someone out of personal bias.

I didn't know who Total Biscuit was until recently. I couldn't tell you his political beliefs or whether his criticism of games was fair or biased. It doesn't matter. I'm sure he made plenty of mistakes in his life and I'm positive I would strongly disagree with many of his opinions on certain things like I would anyone. But, he was someone's family and had people who loved him and were loved by him. 33 is a tragic age to go.

-MD-

Serious question, if dying brings you to a better place and this life is an illusion what are you waiting for? If I was confident all of this was all a mirage and a better place existed I'd be there yesterday.

Vawn

Banned
Serious question, if dying brings you to a better place and this life is an illusion what are you waiting for? If I was confident all of this was all a mirage and a better place existed I'd be there yesterday.

I was worried when he posted that it would derail a serious topic. He doesn't mention what faith he is. I don't personally know of any faith that believes everyone just goes to a better place after death independent of what they believed or did on Earth.

But, we shouldn't derail this, especially in these types of forums where it often ends up with people being ridiculed for what they believe.

Last edited:

drotahorror

And an ex-employee at that. Not always a company covered in glory, but at least one person at Bioware is classy:

John will be missed.

True. Didn't realize he was ex-employee. *Ok just to clear some things up. He worked for Bioware Montreal but EA merged the studio with EA Motive in 2017. He still works at EA. You can bet your ass he'd be gone if he leaned a different way.

There is a current employee though (one of the leads on Anthem), who is justifying the smearing of TB though. His twitter is now private as well. Props to Hudson for being a normal, respectable person I guess.

fuck it, here's the tweet

His twitter was public when he made the tweet.

Last edited:
On the contrary, celebrating his passing should be a thing! He is in a better place. I had to watch someone I loved and cared about die to this thing we refer to as Cancer. It is not pretty. I saw a man who was 6 foot 4 and 210 pounds drop down to 90-110 pounds and wake up with blood clogging up his mouth, every fucking morning. I had to clean the feces, wipe down the body with peroxide and water, change the clothes, make and feed him with soup. We couldn't afford proper care, everything went to his treatments, which were painful and exhausting for him.

When my Grandfather finally passed away, I was relieved, not because I was tired of taking care of him, but because he was no longer suffering. He was at the stage where he couldn't talk. Tears were always in my face. One of my saddest memories was him not being able to talk, but I was talking to him and telling him how I felt, how I was depressed because he had to go through this, and I remember him holding my hand while I told him and how I asked him to squeeze my hand! squeeze my hand if you feel the same way, squeeze my hand if you understand me... and he did!

Eventually, he had to be taken to the hospital. Where he finally passed. Rest his soul.

So, I share this as my first comment as an approved account, not because I want sympathy, but because I understand what the fight against Cancer truly is and anyone with the balls to kick someone after they've lost that fight has lost their humanity, compassion and do not deserve my basic respect.

I knew about Total B since he used to do funny commentary back during the AQ40 days(World of Warcraft). It was crazy and unheard of when I first heard he had announced his situation. I was really hoping he would beat this thing.

It is so fucking deplorable how people just shit on this man, who also left behind a wife and son.
Honestly, I hope Karma is a thing.

drotahorror

Even more spicy news, I can't believe that people like this have the audacity to talk shit about anyone, because they are the lowest of the low in my book.

I don't feel like making a lengthy post detailing the situation but basically an indie developer and avid anti-gamergater talked a bunch of trash about TB (post death). A developer from Blizzard retweeted one of his tweets. Turns out, the indie dev is a convicted pedophile. He either produced or distributed CP. Served 4 years.

Not sure if this site is banned or not, but you can read more about it here - *Mildly NSFW site (semi-lewd action figure ads) - https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...rs-tweets-defaming-totalbiscuits-death/59777/

Last edited:
Even more spicy news, I can't believe that people like this have the audacity to talk shit about anyone, because they are the lowest of the low in my book.

I don't feel like making a lengthy post detailing the situation but basically an indie developer and avid anti-gamergater talked a bunch of trash about TB (post death). A developer from Blizzard retweeted one of his tweets. Turns out, the indie dev is a convicted pedophile. He either produced or distributed CP. Served 4 years.

Not sure if this site is banned or not, but you can read more about it here - *Mildly NSFW site (semi-lewd action figure ads) - https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...rs-tweets-defaming-totalbiscuits-death/59777/

Uh.. Wow. You know, I live by a saying: Don't throw stones in a glass house. This man is not only in his own glass house, throwing boulders, but his house is so sheet-thin.. what a hypocrite too. He talks about preying on women, when the sick bast was beating off to children and got in legal trouble for it. I can't say much else than that and feel real disgust towards this person.

But, you know what, Twitter is going to be Twitter at the end of the day. I'm glad idiots like this are basically outing themselves unintentionally.
Major props to the journalists that put him in his place. On the sex offenders list.

Lupingosei

Banned
This is a good example why people like to throw around labels so much. It dehumanizes the individual and only makes him / her part of a group you don't agree. That is why some people can say things like that, without any form of empathy, because for them the individual does not exist, so nobody to feel sorry about. This is something extreme movements usually do. This is why the Germans were able to kill millions of Jews and Sowjets millions of people who did not share their political view.

It is crazy that people celebrate the death of a person because they don't agree what he said about a hobby. I did not know Total Biscuit, never seen any of his videos, but I know what cancer is like, seeing a family member dying from it and it is nothing you wish your worst enemy. Rest in peace and condolences to his family. I wish them strength to move on because the next months will be hell for them.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sad story, but exposing the hatred and hypocrisy of the far left in the game industry will be his parting gift to us all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom