• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Xyber

Thanks, I went ahead and purchased it and now I'm looking for a guitar.

I'm thinking about this one , the Squier by Fender Affinity Telecaster, on clearance for $126 at my local Best Buy. Good for a starter guitar or are there any other deals that would be better?

While I'm far from an expert on guitars, my tip is to not buy something too cheap and buy a guitar that you really like to look at. A boring looking guitar might put you off from playing it, while a good looking one just makes you want to pick it up and play whenever you look at it.

I've made a bunch of custom Offspring songs if anyone here likes them. All songs can be found on http://forums.smithyanvil.com/index.php if you register and first post in "The Lounge" so you get access to the downloads forum. PC and 360 (you need a jtaged xbox to play them) versions for all of them.

Half-Truism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzeptOA2TYI
Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fwv4tzyH9o
The Meaning of Life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZK-GGT6bew
Original Prankster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4m8E4PZmuQ
She's Got Issues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OqqTn-u8U
Staring at the Sun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnkZgJ03PnQ
Americana
Dirty Magic
Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)
Gotta Get Away

Got no videos for the last ones because I've been lazy. :p

iHyrtQ5.jpg

The next DLC's band sold only 5K of their 1st album, recorded under a different name, and was cut from their label.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I bought this again for the PC after not really playing it too much on the 360 and I was just wondering... is there any real progression in terms of learning? I'm at a point where the game is throwing chords at me and there's no real sense of what I need to learn in order to get through the song.

Like, do they tell you what chords you need to learn before you go into the song so that you can at least look it up and try to practice it before it comes flying at you down the note highway? lol

So, I bought this again for the PC after not really playing it too much on the 360 and I was just wondering... is there any real progression in terms of learning? I'm at a point where the game is throwing chords at me and there's no real sense of what I need to learn in order to get through the song.

Like, do they tell you what chords you need to learn before you go into the song so that you can at least look it up and try to practice it before it comes flying at you down the note highway? lol

You could use the "Chord Book" feature (does exactly what you describe) but it's implemented pretty poorly and might just seem like a hinderance rather than benefit.

Rapstah

I think the game is supposed to teach you the song slowly enough that it introduces the chords to you naturally, but a lot of people have problems with how quickly or slowly the game introduces things like that.

White Wedding is weirdly broken for me, it won't give me credit for playing the long D, D, D-D-A-A-A-D riff that's 75% of the song. It keeps telling me I missed the D chords.

Xyber

Gone.

I think the game is supposed to teach you the song slowly enough that it introduces the chords to you naturally, but a lot of people have problems with how quickly or slowly the game introduces things like that.

White Wedding is weirdly broken for me, it won't give me credit for playing the long D, D, D-D-A-A-A-D riff that's 75% of the song. It keeps telling me I missed the D chords.

Tried changing between the different pickups? That helps me in some songs that have a hard time registering some chords.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You could use the "Chord Book" feature (does exactly what you describe) but it's implemented pretty poorly and might just seem like a hinderance rather than benefit.
Yeah, I saw that, but never actually went into it. Can you sort chords by song or something? Because learning the chords on their own doesn't really help.

My problem is I'm at the point in the game (after like 6 songs) where it's throwing in chords and double notes and weird things in the middle of songs that I simply don't know how to do. I'm barely figuring out how to move my hands into the correct position without looking down all the time. So when the song "ranks up" in difficulty, I'm basically not able to play the song. Of course, I can't quit or lower the difficulty without just failing out... but that's like 2+ minutes of not being able to do anything.

It actually suggests trainers for parts of the song, but the gamification of training - you only get 5 "lives" to train a segment before it fails out and you have to restart and retune the guitar makes it more frustrating to train than it should be. If I just want to infinitely grind out the chorus forever and ever, at whichever difficulty I find appropriate, I should be able to. (Maybe I can and the game just isn't doing a good job exposing that)

I might have hit the same wall that made me stop playing the 360 version in terms of the gaming being a useful teaching tool. But the promise of customs and learning songs that I like is alluring enough that I might try to grind my way through the game. But I'm learning that there probably isn't a substitute for just paying someone to teach you how to play. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That'e exactly how it works, it lists all the chords under the song
Hah, maybe I should have taken a look and just ignored the career mode/suggestions altogether.

After all these patches and whatnot, they really should have done a better job of exposing how you can use the game to learn a song.

Hah, maybe I should have taken a look and just ignored the career mode/suggestions altogether.

After all these patches and whatnot, they really should have done a better job of exposing how you can use the game to learn a song.

I hope the menu system is drastically different in the sequel for everyone's sake

someday

Banned

I ignore the career mode suggestions too since the 5 chances is a joke. I pretty quickly go into song mode and practice sections there. I use the leveler and accelerator a lot. You have 25 or 30 chances but it's easy to restart the count while you're doing it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I ignore the career mode suggestions too since the 5 chances is a joke. I pretty quickly go into song mode and practice sections there. I use the leveler and accelerator a lot. You have 25 or 30 chances but it's easy to restart the count while you're doing it.

Hrm, I might give that a shot. I don't get why they needed to game-ify practicing at all, since the point of practice is to practice after all. lol
I also noticed that they don't really tier the songs, so it's not really clear which are easier to learn/play than others.

Hrm, I might give that a shot. I don't get why they needed to game-ify practicing at all, since the point of practice is to practice after all. lol
I also noticed that they don't really tier the songs, so it's not really clear which are easier to learn/play than others.

It would be close to impossible to tier the songs. Listen to the song and (most of the time) you'll know how hard it's going to be.

ChodTheWacko

Neo Member

Riff Repeater/Accelerator is your friend. I'm working on the solo on Runaway (custom) and I am sloooooowly dialing up the playback speed.

There is, of course, the secondary issue of 'am I even playing these chords correctly at all', and this is where no piece of software will ever replace a teacher who actually stares at you playing and says, 'okay, you are using the wrong finger/this finger is too low/etc/etc'

- Frank

Camp Lo

Banned
Just bought the game on Amazon. Waiting to pick up a bass this weekend, gotta get a lefty. I can't wait to play this and 2014 edition!

Therion

Just bought the game on Amazon. Waiting to pick up a bass this weekend, gotta get a lefty. I can't wait to play this and 2014 edition!

As a long-time lefty bassist, good luck finding a decent one (or often finding a lefty at all). I currently have a custom lefty fretless being built, because those things are well-nigh nonexistent in the wild.

But congrats on the Rocksmith purchase. The game is already amazing and the sequel should be incredible.

Xyber

If anyone is experiencing crashes as soon as you launch the game now, opt out of the latest steam beta and it should be fine again.

DrBo42

Welcome aboard. Let us know if you run into any questions.

As for 2014 did they completely remove career mode? All I see is Non-stop playing as a continuous option. Ultimately it was just a grinding of events and songs you never actually wanted to play but it kept you plugging away. Has there been any reason to why it's not coming to next-gen? Seemed like a perfect fit for Xbox One with the voice commands, I'm not buying a Kinect for my current gen. Oh well.

Xyber

Welcome aboard. Let us know if you run into any questions.

As for 2014 did they completely remove career mode? All I see is Non-stop playing as a continuous option. Ultimately it was just a grinding of events and songs you never actually wanted to play but it kept you plugging away. Has there been any reason to why it's not coming to next-gen? Seemed like a perfect fit for Xbox One with the voice commands, I'm not buying a Kinect for my current gen. Oh well.

Only reason I can think of is licensing fees. They would probably have to re-license all songs for PS4 and One and with that small userbase the consoles will have the first few months it might not be worth it.

Xyber

Rocksmith is 9.99 on Steam now, a good time to get it if you already own it on console but want to play custom songs (and have waayy faster loading times).

http://www.smithyanvil.com/forums/index.php

Thanks!

Edit: WTF. I bought Rocksmith for PC and aparently Windows 8 isn't supported. I can't get the cable to properly install. Device Manager shows a yellow cation sign next to Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter.

What a waste of $15 I could have spend on something that actually works and that I could play. :/

Thanks!

Edit: WTF. I bought Rocksmith for PC and aparently Windows 8 isn't supported. I can't get the cable to properly install. Device Manager shows a yellow cation sign next to Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter.

What a waste of $15 I could have spend on something that actually works and that I could play. :/

I bought it not realizing it was Windows-only. I was just about to drop the money for W8 (I want to see what all this Start Menu fuss is), when I saw that it wasn't supported. So, I went to install the game on my daughter's iMac with Win7, and there's not enough room on the hard drive. Sigh.

Ah so I need a USB 2.0 hub? Blah, time to buya cheap one on amazon.

If you haven't already you should try different USB ports. I have no idea if this is true but iirc the cable needs a certain amount of power from the USB port and not all ports receive the same amount. On my desktop I had to use a rear port instead of my front ports and my laptop has intermittent issues. I suspect a powered hub would basically solve all of those problems.

I double dipped on this with the PC version being $15 on Amazon...and I didn't have the bass expansion for the PS3 version. After using guides to tweak a few things I have to say that the PC version is great. Time to turn it up to 11 again.

If you haven't already you should try different USB ports. I have no idea if this is true but iirc the cable needs a certain amount of power from the USB port and not all ports receive the same amount. On my desktop I had to use a rear port instead of my front ports and my laptop has intermittent issues. I suspect a powered hub would basically solve all of those problems.

Yeah, I tried them all, none worked :(

BUT I was able to use my work laptop. So that should hold me off for a while.

Played Ride the Lightning. Oh god it was soooooo fun :D

fred

Have just ordered this from eBay and have got a question. After seeing a few videos of it in action on YouTube I've noticed that the chord diagrams are round the wrong way. Is there an option to flip the chord diagrams 90 degrees..? No idea why they decided to flip things around!!! :eek:(

Top Bottom