• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I6ay06n.jpg

Here's hint #2 for the 2/19 DLC: After their original vocalist & drummer left the group, this band's bassist convinced his girlfriend's brother and his drummer to join the group. Good call.

Rapstah

You've Got Another Thing Comin' and Carry On Wayward Son are easily two of the best songs in the game, amazing to play.

Edit: Except for the parts where they both expect me to do 21st fret bends at crucial parts! I can barely do that on my guitar. :(

mash440

Neo Member
You've Got Another Thing Comin' and Carry On Wayward Son are easily two of the best songs in the game, amazing to play.

Edit: Except for the parts where they both expect me to do 21st fret bends at crucial parts! I can barely do that on my guitar. :(

The Clapton songs are worse for that.

And Clapton does those himself with a bolt on neck.

Vodh

It definitely wouldn't hurt. I'd say go for it, it's a good practice tool and a nice way to keep track of your progress.

A5sPSKd.jpg

More DLC hits next week! Here’s song #1, which was written by this band’s frontman for his fiancé as a wedding present. Recognize it?

Xyber

How good are the custom songs now? I might actually double down if they're more fleshed out than when custom songs first started popping up.

Most of them are okay, some of them are great. Some also make it so that you can level up sections which can be nice.

Xyber

I've been downloading a bunch of custom songs the past 2 days, so much good stuff and it grows fast.

Just uploaded 2 videos from two songs.

Creeping Death by Metallica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsSU48UAN6E
Need to practice fast down strumming? This one is for you. I'm doing okay at it, but it's still really fun to play.

Want You Bad by The Offspring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5PHAYl3az0
Love this song, pretty easy too so it's not that hard for beginners to play. I need to work on muting the chords better in the verse though.

eoIPZ1b.jpg

We’ve got more DLC next week! The 1st song was written by this band’s singer about his tensions with his brother within the band.

CCR "Have You Ever Seen The Rain"

feuy1xG.jpg

The second DLC song next week was already covered several times, but our favorite was definitely the version by Crucial Taunt.

Sweet "Ballroom Blitz"

Xyber

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the last one is The Allman Brothers.

Got a bunch of new videos of customs uploaded.

Fucking Hostile by Pantera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEj_66yXEBI
A bit above my skill level, but still pretty fun to play.

Cyanide by Metallica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWuQm5qSbg

The Rock Show by blink-182 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26mE2jVuKSE

The World I Know by Collective Soul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapzWoLNQpA
I really like playing this one, so relaxing.

Celebration Song by Unwritten Law http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuTxp_fdPu4
NFS: Underground 2, dawg!

And then 3 songs by The Beatles
Twist and Shout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KDJG501FA
Oh! Darling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmnqukl7SI
Day Tripper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhhySers30g

sangreal

fyi, a "rocksmith 2" showed up on partnernet recently w/ december release date. idk if it means anything, could just be a placeholder which is pretty common

boxartlg.jpg

zsidane

fyi, a "rocksmith 2" showed up on partnernet recently w/ december release date. idk if it means anything, could just be a placeholder which is pretty common

Interesting!
So what do you guys want to see in a "Rocksmith 2"?

I wouldn't mind a 3D avatar, nicer graphics, less loading times, and being able to import all DLC (of course!) but also tracks of the first Rocksmith.

Xyber

It would make sense to put something new out to compete with Bandfuse.

Looking forward to it, I just hope custom songs will be easy to implement. But it shouldn't be that hard if they base it on the same engine and stuff.

ChodTheWacko

Neo Member
Interesting!
So what do you guys want to see in a "Rocksmith 2"?

I wouldn't mind a 3D avatar, nicer graphics, less loading times, and being able to import all DLC (of course!) but also tracks of the first Rocksmith.

For the record, I love love love this game (I like to call it guitar karaoke), and play quite a bit. So I have lots of little treaks/complaints that would sure make playing a lot funner/less tedious.

It sure would be nice if going into 'songs' remembered the last song order and selection that I had last time, versus starting over at 'A'.

Ability to go to riff repeater directly after playing a song in 'rehearse' if you fail.

Breakneck speed so note order doesn't get changed as the notes come down (due to isometric interface)

Much better indicator when you hit a wrong note - perhaps a streak counter ala rock band. Sometimes in leveler I fail a section over and order and I have no idea why. (used to happen on bends a lot)

Need a much better store - it's stupid that It's hard to find last weeks' releases.
Perhaps an 'order by release date' option.

Playlists and/or user rankings so It's easier to refind songs/play I really like. Or order by 'times played'

Ability to reject an event and get a new random setlist.

Ability to remove/hide songs I don't like to play. Right now a particular song I dislike ALWAYS comes up in my events and I have to keep replacing it. Also I purchased some DLC I don't like and I can't 'unbuy' them on Steam. #@$*(&@#

Ability to disable master modes. I don't like them, and just boycott any MM encores right now.

leveler/accelerator should be merged to avoid tuner/loading times/section selector Or at least a faster way to go between.

Ability to force 'set all sections to X%' at the start, rather than force leveling up from 0. This allows you go demo the game at full difficulty at a friend's house, and makes starting over less of a chore.

Show more fret numbers on the 'play field' for frets with notes, so the isometric viewing angle doesn't screw me over. I often go one fret too high/low for notes that appear on the extreme left/right edges of my monitor.

I think we need, in the tuner, a 'volume test' so you can play notes and see if losing accuracy due to the output of your guitar being too high. There's no real way to test this right now.

There's something bizarro going on in 'free speed' riff repeater where sometimes I just can't figure out what note it wants me to play next. There needs to be a better indicator.

A 'don't mix different tunings in a setlist' option. This is especially brutal with custom songs.

I kinda like having the tuner pop up every song but an option to turn it off for a while would sure be nice.

It would be nice to easily see (perhaps in view event) what the previous 'best' score was on the songs.

ummmmm, that's it. (for now).

- Frank

someday

Banned
A whole lotta great ideas...

- Frank

I really didn't expect it when I first saw your long post, but I actually agree with I think 100% of your ideas. The game is great but really needs a few simple tweaks to make it more user-friendly and a little less tedious. The time in between going from leveler and accelerator is pretty frustrating. Actually, the time in between anything in this game is too long.

Rapstah

Much better indicator when you hit a wrong note - perhaps a streak counter ala rock band. Sometimes in leveler I fail a section over and order and I have no idea why. (used to happen on bends a lot)

Bends are terrible with this. I don't understand when and how you can fail them, and it's so hard to figure out what they're expecting you to bend to and how because that's not actually shown.

I sort of regret buying Get Free at full price. I like the song but it's really short and has three riffs, not to mention that it's already an on-disc song in Rock Band 3. I still bought it, so I guess I'm sort of disproving my own point here, but that's a prime example of something that should be in a lower price tier.

Obviously if they're only releasing a couple more packs of DLC then there's really no use taking the time to establish different price tiers.

Xyber

Bends are terrible with this. I don't understand when and how you can fail them, and it's so hard to figure out what they're expecting you to bend to and how because that's not actually shown.

I sort of regret buying Get Free at full price. I like the song but it's really short and has three riffs, not to mention that it's already an on-disc song in Rock Band 3. I still bought it, so I guess I'm sort of disproving my own point here, but that's a prime example of something that should be in a lower price tier.

Obviously if they're only releasing a couple more packs of DLC then there's really no use taking the time to establish different price tiers.

While price tiering would be nice I don't think that's something the record companies want to hear. "We're gonna sell this song for half of the regular price because it's too easy and repetitive."

ChodTheWacko

Neo Member

for bends, some notes:
1) listen to the music and bend accordingly
2) There is a 'flash' when you bend far enough.
3) Bending further than necessary normally counts as a 'hit' so when in doubt, overbend.
4) fake a bend to figure out what it wants. I.e. if it's a bend on fret 12, just play 12-14, and see if it likes it. If so, that's the note you bend to.
I sometimes do this cheat for low fret bends which I can't handle at all. (I believe it's a bend on fret 2).
5) Sometimes I see a bend indicator on the fingerboard (not the scrolling part, the fixed part on the bottom) where it kinda shows you a 'bent string'. It definitely shows up during free speed riff repeater. It kinda helps, but I hate free speed so I don't use it unless I'm really desperate. But it's there.

I don't really mind rebuying rock band 3 tracks because I just don't touch RB3 anymore (and yes, I own the squier). I really do miss a lot of the RB3 songs though, and I'd rebuy them in a heartbeat. Custom songs have helped a lot with this but the dynamic difficulties tend to be broken ( meaning they increase so quickly that I'm just getting 10% on sections ).

- Frank

Xyber

Jessica by Allman Brothers killed my high e string today. :( But I guess it's time to replace the strings anyway (and probably should've done it a lot sooner), about 6 months since I bought the guitar and have 230 hours played in Rocksmith alone.

I've seen plenty of crazy people who think you need to change the strings every week or at least 2 times/month. That's just insane.

Shadybiz

PC people! I am thinking of double-dipping on this, as my pc is in the same room that I keep my guitar and amp, and really just setting up to play would be a lot easier (chair, plugging in, etc). I know from googling around that the cable I already have for the 360 version will work on the pc, but what is the audio lag like? I have my monitor hooked up with DVI, and I would be playing with Turtle Beach headphones hooked up to my external soundblaster. Is that a setup that will work?

Xyber

PC people! I am thinking of double-dipping on this, as my pc is in the same room that I keep my guitar and amp, and really just setting up to play would be a lot easier (chair, plugging in, etc). I know from googling around that the cable I already have for the 360 version will work on the pc, but what is the audio lag like? I have my monitor hooked up with DVI, and I would be playing with Turtle Beach headphones hooked up to my external soundblaster. Is that a setup that will work?

Using a soundcard is not the way to go in this game, the latency is way lower with the sound from the motherboard unfortunately. It's borderline unplayable for me if I use my Xonar soundcard in this game because of the delay, but perfect with the onboard sound.

silly question but I mostly just want to know if there is a way to restart career mode?

If you go to options > difficulty settings you can reset all songs to their lowest difficulty again. Other than that you could delete the profile (if you are playing on PC, don't know about consoles) but that might delete other stuff like the technique challenges and stuff.

Shadybiz

Using a soundcard is not the way to go in this game, the latency is way lower with the sound from the motherboard unfortunately. It's borderline unplayable for me if I use my Xonar soundcard in this game because of the delay, but perfect with the onboard sound.

Ah, bummer about the soundcard. It's not much of a hassle to switch it up, though, so I think I'll still spring for it. Thanks for the reply!

fatty

Looks like Best Buy has Rocksmith Guitar and Bass for their deal of the day for $24.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/null/pcmcat248000050016.c?id=pcmcat248000050016&ref=167&loc=02b

I'm a complete noobie, but if I had a preference I think I'd like to pick the PC version because of the custom songs and better experience (going from comments on this page). But I figure I might as well get the cable this way and later also get it on sale when I see it on Steam. Does it matter concerning Xbox or PS3 (both cables would work for PC also right)? I'll start reading this thread more but any advice on the game or a beginner guitar would be appreciated.

Looks like Best Buy has Rocksmith Guitar and Bass for their deal of the day for $24.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/null/pcmcat248000050016.c?id=pcmcat248000050016&ref=167&loc=02b

I'm a complete noobie, but if I had a preference I think I'd like to pick the PC version because of the custom songs and better experience (going from comments on this page). But I figure I might as well get the cable this way and later also get it on sale when I see it on Steam. Does it matter concerning Xbox or PS3 (both cables would work for PC also right)? I'll start reading this thread more but any advice on the game or a beginner guitar would be appreciated.

The cable works with all three platforms

Top Bottom