• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Have just ordered this from eBay and have got a question. After seeing a few videos of it in action on YouTube I've noticed that the chord diagrams are round the wrong way. Is there an option to flip the chord diagrams 90 degrees..? No idea why they decided to flip things around!!! :eek:(

Yup, in Game Settings - TAB Mode

Example

Not sure how many of you have the game on Xbox but a bunch of singles are $1 off..

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/save...th-singles-xbl/

The Black Keys “Tighten Up”
Radiohead “Bodysnatchers”
Lynyrd Skynyrd “Free Bird”
The Allman Brothers Band “Jessica”
Boston “More Than A Feeling“
Deep Purple “Smoke On The Water”
T-Rex “20th Century Boy”
Vampire Weekend “Cousins”
Megadeth “Hangar 18″
Megadeth “Public Enemy No. 1″
Megadeth “Symphony of Destruction”
Three Days Grace “I Hate Everything About You”

fred

Am definitely getting Rocksmith 2014 if I'm impressed with 2013, especially now that I've found out that the DLC is going to be backwards compatible. Have also found a site that has around 15,000 custom songs on it too so hopefully all of those will be compatible as well.

Xyber

Am definitely getting Rocksmith 2014 if I'm impressed with 2013, especially now that I've found out that the DLC is going to be backwards compatible. Have also found a site that has around 15,000 custom songs on it too so hopefully all of those will be compatible as well.

I think you added a 0 too much there. ;) It was roughly 1350 songs a month ago, the thread that keeps track of them all hasn't been updated because the guy has been busy though. So it's probably somewhere in between 1500 and 1700 songs now.

fred

Whoops! Probably did lol. Saw that number on another forum and thought it might be wrong! ;oP

Still more songs than you can shake a stick at though lol.

Shame you can't add your own effects pedals to the sound though, I bought myself a Digitech RP255 a while back and it's awesome...would rather use that than the in-game effects. Oh well, it's handy for those that only have a basic setup I guess. Just means that you won't be able to use an expression pedal for Wah-Wah effects. I've always loved the sound of those things!

So, uhhh, Slayer in Rocksmith 2014. \m/
ALL OVER MY BODY! Great news for the console version.

Whats the 2013 one? Or are there two new ones coming up?

fred

Ah, okay, my bad. Just assumed it had a similar naming convention to the second game on its way. So if I'm impressed with Rocksmith then I'll get Rocksmith 2014 in that case!

Has anyone checked out Rock Prodigy yet..?

fred

Apologies for the DP, but wanted to give this thread a wee *bump* and give you all my impressions on the game. Had around a half second's worth of audio lag which I sorted out by changing a couple of values in the Rocksmith.ini file.

I also have a little video lag which I haven't sorted out yet but shouldn't be a problem.

The selection of songs is pretty good, plenty of variety and the same goes for the DLC too.

Have just put in around 3 hours, doing both the in-game music and a couple of custom songs I downloaded and am quite happy with it so far. I've found the Accelerator part of the Riff Repeater to be the most useful when learning a new song.

It's going to take me a bit of time to get used to working out the fingering for chords becauseI'm not used to reading tablature, it's a real shame that they don't allow you to choose traditional, non-tabbed chord diagrams - the chord diagrams that are vertical as if you're looking at the guitar fretboard face on - but I guess I'll get used to it!

Overall I'm very happy with it so far and can see myself improving my playing a great deal using this as a tool and putting in some effort. I'm definitely getting Rocksmith 2014 after playing this.

PSN Sale - all songs are $1 off ($1.99 instead of $2.99)

T. Rex “20th Century Boy”
Heart “Barracuda”
Pearl Jam “Black”
Pearl Jam “Jeremy”
Radiohead “Bodysnatchers”
Vampire Weekend “Cousins”
Blue Öyster Cult “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”
Lynyrd Skynyrd “Free Bird”
The Black Keys “Gold on the Ceiling”
The Black Keys “Just Got to Be” (GUITAR ONLY)
The Black Keys “Mind Eraser”
The Black Keys “Tighten Up”
Megadeth “Symphony of Destruction”
Megadeth “Hangar 18″
Megadeth “Public Enemy No. 1″
Three Days Grace “I Hate Everything About You”
The Allman Brothers Band “Jessica”
Boston “More Than A Feeling”
Deep Purple “Smoke On The Water (1997 Remix)”
David Bowie “Space Oddity”

All songs are compatible with RS 2014 so stock up!

Xyber

Apologies for the DP, but wanted to give this thread a wee *bump* and give you all my impressions on the game. Had around a half second's worth of audio lag which I sorted out by changing a couple of values in the Rocksmith.ini file.

I also have a little video lag which I haven't sorted out yet but shouldn't be a problem.

The selection of songs is pretty good, plenty of variety and the same goes for the DLC too.

Have just put in around 3 hours, doing both the in-game music and a couple of custom songs I downloaded and am quite happy with it so far. I've found the Accelerator part of the Riff Repeater to be the most useful when learning a new song.

It's going to take me a bit of time to get used to working out the fingering for chords becauseI'm not used to reading tablature, it's a real shame that they don't allow you to choose traditional, non-tabbed chord diagrams - the chord diagrams that are vertical as if you're looking at the guitar fretboard face on - but I guess I'll get used to it!

Overall I'm very happy with it so far and can see myself improving my playing a great deal using this as a tool and putting in some effort. I'm definitely getting Rocksmith 2014 after playing this.

If you want more songs than what's available officially, visit http://forums.smithyanvil.com/index.php

Almost 2000 songs made by the community there now, made like 25 myself.

DrBo42

I wish the people doing the custom charts had some varied taste. It's either some 90's kid cd collection, metal, or sprinkled pop songs. :(

Xyber

How difficult is it to make songs? I'd like to make a few.

At first it can be a little overwhelming. Learn how to properly sync up the BPM to the song (a small tip, when looking up the tabs online the BPM will usually say on the Guitar Pro tab so use that as a reference http://i.imgur.com/OHh4yGp.png ), that's the most important part that many new people fail at. This will often make the song either really unplayable or just not very fun if the beat is off by 1/4th of a second or something (seen way worse than that in plenty of songs).

When you have synced up the beats to the song, importing a .gp file and doing some small tweaking to the tab might be all you need to do sometimes. Then you add phrases/sections, convert the audio file, create the rocksmith file and you're done.

First try will probably take many hours, but when you get the hang of it you can finish up a song in 1 hour if you are lucky with the tab.

When I make songs now it takes about 2 hours for the full song, sometimes a little faster and sometimes a little slower depending on the tab and stuff.

fred

Yup, there's a link in post number 1817 above. All you need to do is join the forum, make 1 post and then you get access to the private sub-forums. You'll need to buy at least one legit DLC song to make things work.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Not sure if this has been asked, no.doubt it has but a search on the mobile site didn't yield results for me.

Is this game any good for a beginner? Just bought me my first guitar in the weekend (an ESP) and was considering this or RB3. Any help is appreciated. Console version btw.

jdavid459

What does this game offer the intermediate guitar player? Are their minigames for learning scales and chord progs that would be beneficial?

Xyber

Not sure if this has been asked, no.doubt it has but a search on the mobile site didn't yield results for me.

Is this game any good for a beginner? Just bought me my first guitar in the weekend (an ESP) and was considering this or RB3. Any help is appreciated. Console version btw.

I got this game with my first guitar, only had some experience with an acoustic before and for me it has worked pretty good. It makes practicing fun, got 330 hours in the game now since november last year and I wouldn't had anywhere near that if I just played on my own.

What does this game offer the intermediate guitar player? Are their minigames for learning scales and chord progs that would be beneficial?

I haven't really been playing the mini games, but there is one for practicing scales and that one seems pretty good.

Edit:
Oh, I've forgot to mention this. But the best thing to have happened since they made customs available is that some dudes figured out how to enable automatic tone changing in songs. All you need to do is drop a file in the game folder and then all custom song's that have a certain control block in the song file will work perfectly with it. No more fumbling with the F-keys or a controller!

Gen X

I got this game with my first guitar, only had some experience with an acoustic before and for me it has worked pretty good. It makes practicing fun, got 330 hours in the game now since november last year and I wouldn't had anywhere near that if I just played on my own.

Sold, to the man with the face.

Xyber

Sold, to the man with the face.

I'd recommend that you don't only use Rocksmith as your teaching tool though, because the game might push you forward a little too fast. There's so much good videos on youtube for beginners. The absolute best would be to take a couple of lessons from someone too to learn the basics correctly, never did that myself though because I'm cheap like that.

Gen X

Oh yeah, I understand that. Been starting out with 'Guitars for Dummies' vids on YouTube over the weekend but then remembered that there was RS and RB3 for a bit of side entertainment.

fred

The chord minigame, Day of The Chordead, is great for practicing chords and chord changes. The game also has a Techniques section which is great for learning stuff like harmonics and palm muting.

I really can't praise this game enough, it's fantastic. Really can't wait for the next one!

Gen X

After going to four stores today I managed to find a store with one copy left, new, with usb-1/4 jack.

Spent two hours on it and I am impressed. Feel very satisfied almost nailing 'In Bloom' on my first day. Very nice feeling of achievement.

I had to use the stickers

Xyber

Rocksmith 2014 pre-purchase on Steam is up. http://store.steampowered.com/app/221680

It has trading cards. Still only local multiplayer according the the info. I kinda wanted some competitive mode at least. Like in Rock Band. You'd see your own highway and then at the top it would be a meter showing who is in the lead at the moment. That wouldn't require them to sync up audio between the players.

It has Steam leaderboards at least, so I guess that's something.

Uses Uplay, I hope that doesn't make playing customs harder.

Gen X

Hope they improve the interface. Having to back out of a single song back to the selection sfreen to change the chord arrangement or to go from rehearse to perform is a pita.

Also, White Zombie - Thunderkiss '65 ohhh baby!

fred

Now have over 200 songs to play around with thanks to the Smithy's Anvil site lol, should keep me busy. I really hope that Rocksmith 2014 allows the use of custom songs too, it has full backwards compatibility with Rocksmith 1 songs apparently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Xyber

Now have over 200 songs to play around with thanks to the Smithy's Anvil site lol, should keep me busy. I really hope that Rocksmith 2014 allows the use of custom songs too, it has full backwards compatibility with Rocksmith 1 songs apparently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I think the biggest issue right now is how to get the songs in to the game if they decide to use Uplay for DLC instead of Steam. But since they are using other Steam features like cloud saves and leaderboards they will probably just sell the DLC through it as well.

fred

Will keep my fingers crossed anyway but if all else fails I can still play those songs with Rocksmith 1 so it's no biggie I guess. 2023 custom songs available now, amazing.

Xyber

Will keep my fingers crossed anyway but if all else fails I can still play those songs with Rocksmith 1 so it's no biggie I guess. 2023 custom songs available now, amazing.

Just checked and I've released 30 of them myself. Have a couple I'm not happy with that I haven't released yet, should get back to them.

I always wanted to make custom songs for Frets on Fire a few years back, but never took the time to learn how to do it properly. It's so great to be able to add most stuff I like to the game now.

fred

Have just pre-ordered Rocksmith 2014 from Zavvi. They have it for £27.98, cheapest I've seen it, but I got it for £24.30 after cashing in my reward point thingummybobs. Can't wait until 25th October, and it's only 3 days away from my 42nd birthday too!

DrBo42

Have just pre-ordered Rocksmith 2014 from Zavvi. They have it for £27.98, cheapest I've seen it, but I got it for £24.30 after cashing in my reward point thingummybobs. Can't wait until 25th October, and it's only 3 days away from my 42nd birthday too!

42 years young! Been playing long or new to guitar?

fred

42 years young! Been playing long or new to guitar?

I used to be a bass player that used to mess around on an acoustic but stopped playing about 15 years ago. Ended up having to sell my guitars due to financial dire straits unfortunately and have been meaning to get back to playing for ages. Found a couple of dirt cheap DIY guitar kits, a strat and an SG and put them both together.

Rocksmith has been perfect for me because it's given me a reason to keep practicing and it keeps the practicing, which is normally pretty boring, interesting.

I can see people completely new to the guitar struggling if they don't work through some DVDs or online lessons first but for someone that's a bit rusty and needs to get back into things it's invaluable.

At some point during the next few years I'm planning on writing a Space Rock Opera based on the Stephen Donaldson Gap novels but my guitar skills aren't even close to being good enough to do what I've got going on in my head justice lol.

DrBo42

I used to be a bass player that used to mess around on an acoustic but stopped playing about 15 years ago. Ended up having to sell my guitars due to financial dire straits unfortunately and have been meaning to get back to playing for ages. Found a couple of dirt cheap DIY guitar kits, a strat and an SG and put them both together.

Rocksmith has been perfect for me because it's given me a reason to keep practicing and it keeps the practicing, which is normally pretty boring, interesting.

I can see people completely new to the guitar struggling if they don't work through some DVDs or online lessons first but for someone that's a bit rusty and needs to get back into things it's invaluable.

At some point during the next few years I'm planning on writing a Space Rock Opera based on the Stephen Donaldson Gap novels but my guitar skills aren't even close to being good enough to do what I've got going on in my head justice lol.

Never too late to get back into it. Planning on heavily getting into the new one so I work on improv and writing as well. Good luck!

fred

Yup, I'm pretty useless at the moment though lol. But Day Of The Chordead is excellent for practicing chord changes, much better than sticking with two chords and switching between them with a metronome like many books and DVDs recommend.

Plus the techniques part has been invaluable too.

Rocksmith has its faults but I'm very impressed with it so far despite that and it's sounding like those faults have been addressed in Rocksmith 2014. It's going to be awesome.

Gen X

A few of the short comings are rearing their ugly heads now I have had the game for almost two weeks. Unless I am dumb, I am sure there is no option to tune the guitar once in the Guitarcade. I was having a blast playing Scale Runner but after half hour or so a couple of strings weren't quite as accurate. Had to quit the mode and re enter.

Also, as someone said to me above, the game does move a bit too fast. I have hit a brick wall on a couple of songs. Glad to have discovered I can edit/remove/add songs to my Event which makes it a little easier, provided you haven't done well on them previously. Nirvanas Breed I need 90k to qualify after just hitting 65k in the single song mode.

Still, enjoying it immensely, even been reading some tabs online (Learning Def Leppards 'Switch 625'* instrumental at a very healthy pace.Just need to be more consistent in the lead now.

Hope RS2014 has some Black Sabbath songs, they are very fun to play.

Top Bottom