• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games potentially hints at Red Dead sequel on Twitter [Up: New Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
If a game expects you to care about your family enough to reunite with/save them (the entire point of the story), yea they should be likable, which they weren't, and neither was Marston.

Likability matters a lot in certain contexts. It's one of the reason's God of War 3's ending makes zero sense given how shitty his character is throughout the entire game.

It's pretty rare for people to care about a story when all of the characters are either really bad people morally, or really uninteresting ones. House of Cards is the only example I can think of right now where people find enjoyment in the widespread pessimism/hopelessness rather than the optimism.

You're right though forcing me to do like 4 hours of rounding sheep so that I "form a bond" with my dumb annoying son and pressing x for 15min to travel to empty X town in order to shoot no-name Y guys is awesome. The sappy ending does nothing to retroactively fix all of the weak shit that came before it.

Like I said, all of the stuff people supposedly hate GTA4 for, they completely ignore or tolerate in RDR for reasons I don't understand. (I didn't dislike GTA4 either btw, but in RDR those problems shine like the sun).

The whole point "SPOILERS" was
marston was trying to atone for the earlier life he led, and not drag his family in his past that could get them killed. The actual title has a double meaning by the end of the game. Your whole journey was redemption for all the people you hurt as an outlaw, you doing good deeds a lot of the people you meet is part of that redemption. He even talks about it to some of the closer characters on how he's doing this for his family. He doesn't want them to pay for his mistakes.

Then by the end decides that he's going to die, and leads the marshalls to the barn where his family wont have to watch him die, and possibly get hurt in the process. Then by the end when your jack marston your actually looking for the marshalls that betrayed your father, you gun them down like they did your father, game ends with RED DEAD REDEMPTION as their bodies float in the river.

Seriously outside of some of the mission deigns flaws that I thought carried over from GTA 4, the game was a fucking masterpiece in what it was trying to achieve.

Arttemis

marston was trying to atone for the earlier life he led, and not drag his family in his past that could get them killed. The actual title has a double meaning by the end of the game. Your whole journey was redemption for all the people you hurt as an outlaw, you doing good deeds a lot of the people you meet is part of that redemption. He even talks about it to some of the closer characters on how he's doing this for his family. He doesn't want them to pay for his mistakes.

Then by the end decides that he's going to die, and leads the marshalls to the barn where his family wont have to watch him die, and possibly get hurt in the process. Then by the end when your jack marston your actually looking for the marshalls that betrayed your father, you gun them down like they did your father, game ends with RED DEAD REDEMPTION as their bodies float in the river.

Seriously outside of some of the mission deigns flaws that I thought carried over from GTA 4, the game was a fucking masterpiece in what it was trying to achieve.

100% Agreed

KevinG

Nailed it.

As long as we don't have 7 playable characters. I suspect the story could be how Dutch formed his gang? The crazy things they would have got up too and maybe dictating how the gang forms and who makes the cut and who doesn't. As long as it has that beautiful sense of the wild... and those sweet exaggerated euphoria physics

Oh and of course the donkey lady!

Am i the only one who saw this? XD

i4LRam6.gif

This is magnificent.

Angry Fork

I think people tolerate it because of the setting, which is at least somewhat unique, interesting and not overused.

The problem is they will not quite have the same advantage this time, so they'll need to make a better game. Not that it will not sell zillions, but I think people will be less forgiving if the "ride for 10 minutes, shoot bad guys with auto aim, ride back" loop is all you do 400 times.

Luckily there is so much scope still left for them and they are not exactly short of cash.

That's what I'm hoping for, like I'm 100% down if they just put more interesting kinds of missions/things to do. I agree the setting is probably the reason people don't criticize the game but it's just weird to me. Like it's fine to say the game does X good but Y bad it doesn't have to be 100% with or against.

But the amount of people you'd see on gaf saying GTA4 or Uncharted 3 was boring or something while giving a pass to RDR which is basically one of the most repetitive games out there doesn't make sense to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally speaking, Tuesday is the widest day for news, and Thursday is the last viable day because you want to put it out when it's still useful for European press.

It will presumably be one of the next three days. I wouldn't worry too much about what random journalists pick though.

I love your new avatar
Ha, yeah, getting in the mood, and the Westworld poster had such a slick design
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219783752&postcount=2008

Generally speaking, Tuesday is the widest day for news, and Thursday is the last viable day because you want to put it out when it's still useful for European press.

It will presumably be one of the next three days. I wouldn't worry too much about what random journalists pick though.
You don't think they want to debut with The Walking Dead premiere?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I got the game because I loved Sergio Leone westerns and thought it would be a great re-interpretation of that.

That covers Neuvo Paradiso, certainly. West Elizabeth and New Austin were concerned with Classic and Late Revisionist Westerns, respectively; from iconography to mission design. If you wanted straight up Leone all the way through, Revolver's your game. You ever try it? You might respond better to it (though it's quite dated now). Oh, CoJ: Gunslinger's a good one too.

Still, weird that you complained about the small towns and over abundance of desert landscapes in RDR considering Leone's sets and his obsession with lingering shots of those exact kinds of landscape.

It did end up using those elements in terms of visuals and music which were great but I still found it bad because I didn't find any of the characters likable (so I didn't care about the story) and the things to do were really dull.

You didn't like Ricketts, Bonnie, Dutch, Irish or Dixon? That's a shame. I thought they were all great characters.

The chore missions are something I will never forget as the worst thing I've ever played.

Well, Marston is a cowboy, man. :)

The "random" elements in the desert were literally the same 2 things on repeat. Either get attacked by a cougar or have someone feign for help then backstab you. There were hardly any random encounters worth engaging in once you did the initial few. Trotting through the desert on a horse (that you have to continually press X to keep going btw) isn't that amazing to me.

There were 33 or so different ones, as I recall: Duels, stage coach robberies, gang attacks, contests, hangings... loads.

Sorry you didn't like it, man. Not sure you'll ever get a better game that covers the breadth of the Western genre than RDR. Well, hopefully the sequel.

Iceman

John Marsten might be the most likeable protagonist Rockstar has ever developed, surpassing CJ and Tommy Vercetti. I'm going to miss the hell out of him, despite the fact that I really appreciate that his resolution required the ultimate sacrifice. He's kind of a martyr for the greater cause (of entertainment) and died in game before his memory could be tarnished. The next cast of characters, particularly the protagonist, has a lot to live up to.

And how are they going to follow up on that voice?

FelipeMGM

Yeah, my money is on tomorrow too.

Yesterday was the whaaaat moment and today basically the confirmation. There is not much they can do with just pics and no words tbh

SomTervo

Yeah that the first impression i got to, the sky is blood red too.

Been reading a fair chunk of American literature over the last few years, Blood meridian, Butchers Crossing, The Son (which I'm reading at the moment, and is great) so there is a lot for RD3 to play with :)

Nice. I did a course on Westerns in my last year at university. Good shit.

Haven't read/heard of either of those though. A typically uncomprehensive university course. Both sound great. I wrote my dissertation about Blood Meridian. Read around McCarthy's stuff with the Border Trilogy, Outer Dark and Child of God.

peetfeet

As long as we don't have 7 playable characters. I suspect the story could be how Dutch formed his gang? The crazy things they would have got up too and maybe dictating how the gang forms and who makes the cut and who doesn't. As long as it has that beautiful sense of the wild... and those sweet exaggerated euphoria physics

Oh and of course the donkey lady!

I want my Zonkey!

Revan

100% this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I feel like I need to push through the first 10 minutes of the game and see what the fuss is about.

I got RDR free on PS Plus, played the first 10 minutes and deleted it. But I'm kinda over GTA game keep in mind. I caved due to all the hype and bought it for $7.50 on 360 for BC.

Should I bother?

Raven117

Red Dead Revival

John Marston is revived from the dead by the Devil, and must track down the 7 most-wanted outlaws (aka the 7 deadly sins) to end their reign of tyranny and death that they have scourged upon the Earth

Damn, that's some awesome sheet right there.

Since it's all but confirmed have we made bets on release dates? I would say the usual Spring 2017 then delay to Fall 2017 thing Rockstar did with GTA V.

This is gonna be a true test for Rockstar since they don't have the BENZ.

dreamfall

Since it's all but confirmed have we made bets on release dates? I would say the usual Spring 2017 then delay to Fall 2017 thing Rockstar did with GTA V.

This is gonna be a true test for Rockstar since they don't have the BENZ.

May 2017, then delayed to October at the latest!

I think they'll be fine without Benzies, as painful as it is that he's not around.

Red Dead Revival

John Marston is revived from the dead by the Devil, and must track down the 7 most-wanted outlaws (aka the 7 deadly sins) to end their reign of tyranny and death that they have scourged upon the Earth

Why would the devil want that to happen though?

Squire

Banned
Delay a game just once and suddenly you're promised to do it with everything.

I'll say spring 2017 (May) and leave it at that.

Robot Pants

I feel like I need to push through the first 10 minutes of the game and see what the fuss is about.

I got RDR free on PS Plus, played the first 10 minutes and deleted it. But I'm kinda over GTA game keep in mind. I caved due to all the hype and bought it for $7.50 on 360 for BC.

Should I bother?
Yes. GTA has gotten very stale for me especially their "academy award winning stories" they suck and they need to be shaved down and dramatically more focused.

Red dead however fantastic and somehow still looks gorgeous even today. (Maybe not the Ps3 version so much)

Raven117

BvAfy1J.gif

True, Rockstar would definitely not half ass it, but I usually prefer my games with a strong SP mode.
As do I...(Im sure we are getting a single player experience).

That said...man....riding around with your buddies on horseback...robbing trains and/or fighting other lawmen or gangs would be very very cool.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yes. GTA has gotten very stale for me especially their "academy award winning stories" they suck and they need to be shaved down and dramatically more focused.

Red dead however fantastic and somehow still looks gorgeous even today. (Maybe not the Ps3 version so much)

Might need to give it a go once the backlog flattens a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom