• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar has removed several transphobic elements from next-gen GTA V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1440

I'm used to Rockstar removing content from their GTA games after a few years, just see how they butchered the soundtrack from later digital releases. Although this is now getting ridiculous, I doubt anyone actually found these offensive.

LavosBit

Neo Member
Can’t say I ever noticed the characters to begin with, so eh.

My problem with GTA (and modern Rockstar in general) is that they seem more interested in making quasi-interactive movies than games. “No, you have to do the mission this way so you can see this oh-so-genius scripted event we created, otherwise you fail. Do it again.” I really miss being able to tackle a mission on my terms. So I’ve got to take out this target - ain’t nothing says I can’t do it with a jet pack and hand grenades raining down from the sky.

nemiroff

Gold Member
What's the big deal, why on earth shouldn't we dictate our society around minority intersectionality? I mean it's pretty obvious that these people should be the only group of people on the planet exempt of ANY speck of satire. I mean, these people have for some odd reason never used their 17 pairs of facial muscles for anything else than to express rage, they just don't have any sense of humor. Of course they need to be protected from LITERALLY being pushed out from their safe space rocks into the real world.

Last edited:
The usual justification is “those other people’s lives are not endangered by these jokes and representations”.

San Andreas is about African-American areas, Mexican zones, etc. ending up quite inevitably in the gang wars, where CJ even attempted to go live a different life elsewhere but where "family called". I'd argue more people die to gang wars (or cop brutality, etc.) than they do to transphobic discrimination. That isn't to say the latter isn't a real problem of course.

Fredrik

I'm worried about Manhunt's ultra violence...can we have a patch? please
Yeah what about the harmful human representation in all non sci-fi action games? Headshots and sliced throats everywhere. Better make everyone into droids ala Super Probotector.

Last edited:

TheTony316

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Of course they did.

remember when companies defended violence in games like their life depended on it. Wanted to make no compromise to their freedom of art and expression. Now they bend over backwards to remove stupid content from an old ass game lol. Have some old white republicans tell them their game is too violent or is offensive to their religion and R* says fuck off. Have some blue haired weirdo say you hurt my feelings and R* will update a 9 year old game to remove it for them lolol. I liked what someone else said about GTA is supposed to be about making fun of everyone and that's part of what made GTA, GTA!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
rockstar isn't the rockstar we once knew. once they would not care about speaking out and upsetting people. that's what their games were all about. they've lost their nerve and spine.

rkofan87

Gold Member
reee is happy as a pig in shit but they want the stuff out of the ps3 360 and ps4 and the one as well and they want gta de to be cucked as well.
ps they said it the stuff should not have been the game at all.

Unknown?

I consider myself very progressive, but isn't one of the main points of games like GTA to make fun of everything and everyone, nobody's sacred? They mock rich Republicans, poor folks in rural areas, black youth that ends up in gang wars, the excessively brutal police, the fake shit on TV, the sexual freedom and so on. That's been GTA for the longest time: a hyper-exaggerated view of the USA where all problems, social issues, political themes and such are taken to the extreme, with the player that can be anyone and do anything with very minor consequences, in a world where everyone hates everything. If these jokes offend you, clearly GTA isn't the game for you. Why fight for the game to remove that one specific joke, then turn the other way when they mock other people?
I guess we can't expect them to make fun of any rich progressives that endorse Chinese slave labor companies like Nike. Sad, I'd be more down if they poked fun of everything but the left will be "left" out.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I know all different types play videogames, but like...the drag queen HRT player base has to be comparatively small enough that is like an Italian restaurant not serving red sauce because it doesn't want to offend any of its patrons who have a tomato allergy.

It's GTA. The fuck did you guys expect? It's not A Tale of fucking Two Cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom