• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Tomatoes: Top 50 Animated Movies of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
List is just based on the review scores isn't it?

Don't like the list.

Chicken Run in top 10?!
Beauty and the Beast and Lion King in the 20's?
No Miyazaki or Ghibli Films that didn't see a US theatrical run.

djkimothy said:
Wall-E ahead of Nemo?

I haven't seen Wall-E, is it really that good?

oh yeah.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
djkimothy said:
Wall-E ahead of Nemo?

I haven't seen Wall-E, is it really that good?
Yes.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
why do people who do lists insist on numbering them in such an arbitrary fashion? Do tiers, themes or something. -_-

Zoltrix

LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1

It should be #1 :(

I can't say I agree with the top 10.

triplets.jpg

So that's where they got the art style for Professor Layton

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Yeah Level 5's main inspiration for it was the European style of animation, specifically some of the stuff the French and Germans created back in the day.

Ratatouille at #16 is a bit lame. Should be at least top 10.

Brobzoid

triplets.jpg

are you trying to say you haven't seen this movie? because that is easily one of the best animation films I have ever seen. fuck that disney shit, this is the proper stuff. hardly any dialog, great animation, creative designs, fantastic story & music. go go go!

Zoltrix

I'm trying to remember which Fantasia I saw so I can watch the other one. Which is the one where Mickey Mouse is a wizard and all these brooms come to life?

Snaku

Banned
My thoughts on the top 10...

Toy Story was far better than Toy Story 2, but neither deserve to be in the top 5.

Snow White at number 2? Are you shitting me? It's like saying Final Fantasy is better than Final Fantasy VI because it came first.

I love Pinocchio. Loved it as a child, and love it as an adult. It deserves to be in the top 10 for sure.

Wall-E was fantastic, and probably had Pixar's more endearing characters. Too preachy though.

Finding Nemo was a nice update of An American Tail, though it wasn't done half as well. For some reason it's the Pixar film I've seen the most in theaters (5 times).

Fantasia. Nice animation, with some beautiful music. But it's not a compelling film in any way. More of a awesome experiment. Shouldn't even be in the top 25.

Chicken Run. Wait, why am I talking about this? Oh, it made it into the top 10? Really?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is amazing. It was an amazing achievement with great story and characters, and definitely deserves its place in the top 10, though it may not be 100% animated.

The Nightmare Before Christmas was wonderfully imaginative, told a charming story, and every character was highly memorable. Excellent music as well. I would have placed it higher.

So yeah, what's with the Disney circle jerk, RT? Only one Miyazaki film in the top 20? No Secret of NIMH or An American Tail in the top 20? Why isn't Akira in the top 10? Seems like the people who put this list together have an extremely narrow vision of film animation.

Brobzoid

if you want to see another fantasia, you have probably seen the old one. If you had seen the new one, you wouldn't want to expose yourself to more of that.

what I'm trying to say is; don't see 2000. it's far from the original. so far it's not even funni.

you people are aware of the "voting"? compiling all their review scores and ranking them in order of 'freshness'. You do know that you are critiquing the general reviewing community at the time the movie was released and not RT itself?

Cheebs

Snaku said:
So yeah, what's with the Disney circle jerk, RT? Only one Miyazaki film in the top 20? No Secret of NIMH or An American Tail in the top 20? Why isn't Akira in the top 10? Seems like the people who put this list together have an extremely narrow vision of film animation.
RT didn't make the list! It goes by review scores.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is there a list of the 50?
I'm making my way through it now but it's already got off to an awful start with South Park in at 50!
50 WTF? The South Park movie was fucking genius (no bias)

Also if The Jungle Book isn't on this list I will never take an opinion from Rotten Tomatoes seriously again.

Brobzoid

NutJobJim said:
Is there a list of the 50?
I'm making my way through it now but it's already got off to an awful start with South Park in at 50!
50 WTF? The South Park movie was fucking genius (no bias)

Also if The Jungle Book isn't on this list I will never take an opinion from Rotten Tomatoes seriously again.

lalz

JimiNutz

Banned
Cheebs said:
It is amazing to me that people somehow think RT decides what score a movie gets.

LOL oh yeah RT is the site that just complies all the reviews written by other people-silly me.
Ok I should rephrase that, if The Jungle Book does not make the list all my faith in humanities ability to form opinions on movies will be forever shattered.
That's quite the mouth full, and I can't be bothered to check that it makes sense, I'm still enraged that South Park only made 50 :lol
I'm not really enraged, actually I'm pretty fucking high

Jungle Book made 36-should be higher!.
At least it's not 50th, Poor South Park :(

I suppose Beavis and Butthead Do America makes the top 10 to make up for this failure?

Brobzoid

Cheebs said:
It is amazing to me that people somehow think RT decides what score a movie gets.
Well, I suppose it's true though. Just like boxoffice.com decides which movies get the most gross etc. Not a new concept really.

NotWii

Banned
This list is missing 'When The Wind Blows'
221733_CD_L_F.jpg

Features music by DAVID BOWIE and PINK FLOYD

Also
Iron Giant needs to be in the top 3
Incredibles & Ratatouille need to be in the top 10
Howl's Moving Castle shouldn't be in the list at all...

triplets.jpg

I still need to see this

Grug

joshuagor44 said:
I'm trying to remember which Fantasia I saw so I can watch the other one. Which is the one where Mickey Mouse is a wizard and all these brooms come to life?

Both Fantasia films have 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' in them.

Fantasia 2000? Lilo & Stitch (Bigger offense because it comes right in front of Emperor's New Groove)? Kung Fu Panda? The Simpson's Movie? Antz? Toy Story 2 tops the list? Get out of here with that shit.

Just so RT knows Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki movie and Ratatouille is the best Pixar movie. Pinocchio is right where it belongs.

There are four films on there that I've been meaning to watch... Persepolis, Pripika, Triplets of Belleville, and Akira. I guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Any opinions on which ones are better out of those? I'll probably only rent/buy two for now.

FF_VIII said:
Toy Story 2 first?

I would've put the 1st one ahead of it, but it's still a good top 10.

I think Toy Story 2 should have won best picture that year. That damn vignette with "When somebody loves you" made me cry . . . and it is just a damn animated doll! Not even a real doll.

Haeleos

Snow White is #2? While the performances of the dwarves is a masterpiece, the embarassment of a rotoscoped main character cheapens a lot of it in my opinion.

Iron Giant not in the top 10 but Lasseter's bullshit and Chicken Run are?! wtf...

I am very surprised The Simpsons movie is even on the list, let alone higher than most of Miyazaki's stuff. It was nothing more than a stretched out episode... it's not like they had a story worth telling that they needed to suddenly realize it through a full length movie.

Toy Story's animation didn't age well either, so if we're talking "of all time" then there are a crapload of other movies that could be put there.

The Incredibles should be #1, at least in terms of Pixar. On the bright side, Cars isn't in the top 10.

I'm sort of okay with Toy Story 2, considering they could have picked worse.

Also, I really hate RT's format for these lists. One movie per page? Really? The least they could do is invest in getting some sort of flash displayer.

FF_VIII

Banned
speculawyer said:
I think Toy Story 2 should have won best picture that year. That damn vignette with "When somebody loves you" made me cry . . . and it is just a damn animated doll! Not even a real doll.

That video was so sad :(

I did the same thing with my Power Rangers
dolls
toys

:(

Jason

50. south park - bigger, longer & uncut
49. watership down
48. the rescuers
47. paprika
46. fantasia (2000)
45. sleeping beauty
44. tim burton's corpse bride
43. the emperor's new groove
42. lilo & stitch
41. howl's moving castle
40. cinderella
39. mulan
38. lady and the tramp
37. tazan
36. the jungle book
35. akira
34. the little mermaid
33. bambi
32. shrek 2
31. kung fu panda
30. shrek
29. a bug's life
28. the simpsons movie
27. aladdin
26. the lion king
25. princess mononoke
24. beauty and the beast
23. the triplets of belleville
22. yellow submarine
21. antz
20. monsters, inc.
19. james and the giant peach
18. wallace & gromit: the curse of the Were-rabbit
17. persepolis
16. ratatouille
15. dumbo
14. the iron giant
13. spirited away
12. 101 dalmatians
11. the incredibles
10. the nightmare before christmas
09. who framed roger rabbit?
08. chicken run
07. fantasia (1940)
06. finding nemo
05. wall-e
04. toy story
03. pinocchio
02. snow white and the seven dwarfs
01. toy story 2

I'd like to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Ponyo on the Cliff make it on this list someday.

mollipen

joshuagor44 said:
LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1 LION KING IS NUMBER 1

It should be #1 :(

Yeah man! Kimba the White Li.... er, I mean Simba the Lion King should be #1! Where in the world did Disney ever come up with such a fantastic story like that?

Fuzz Rez

Banned
God dang, I must find copy of Watership Down. It was pretty awesome movie back when I was kid, bunnies killing each other like there's no tomorrow. Anyone know if there is DVD release ?

EDIT: Yes there is ! Buying it right now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the list is pretty much bullshit. its 90% disney films, while they are good, makes it seem like there's no variety in the list.

they need to make a non-disney list, and a disney list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom