• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Tomatoes: Top 50 Animated Movies of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why Toy Story 2 is number one, though I wasn't expecting it. It's a pretty powerful film. I am a grown man and i cry without exception every time I see the scene with Jesse and her first owner and the Sarah McCleaclan (sp) song.

No Means Nomad said:
Fantasia 2000? Lilo & Stitch (Bigger offense because it comes right in front of Emperor's New Groove)? Kung Fu Panda? The Simpson's Movie? Antz? Toy Story 2 tops the list? Get out of here with that shit.

Just so RT knows Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki movie and Ratatouille is the best Pixar movie. Pinocchio is right where it belongs.

Lilo & Stitch is a fantastic movie... what the hell are you smoking?

Thai

Bane was better.
Jason said:
50. south park - bigger, longer & uncut

25. princess mononoke

14. the iron giant
13. spirited away

I'd like to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Ponyo on the Cliff make it on this list someday.

deserve better

Ganondorfo

Where is the land before time? (okay the sequels were horrible, but the first one was amazing)

And the lion king should be first followed by the hunchback of notre dame and hercules.

milanbaros

Member?
haven't looked yet but unless lion king is no. 1 then i wont bother reading the rest. not only the best animated but one of the best of all time.

Duderz

Banned
Nothing else from Satoshi Kon other than Paprika (arguably his weakest effort?)

This list would be dramatically different if it did include films that were not released in theaters. A lot more Ghibli stuff would be on here, that's for sure.

And, Toy Story 2 >> Toy Story!

GhaleonEB

Pleased to see The Incredibles and The Iron Giant so high up there. Lilo and Stitch getting a mention, and Wall-E perched near the top as it should be.

My personal favorite, the Secret of Nihm, getting snubbed (in reviews) was my only qualm.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Unpopular post time!

I'm actually one of the 6 Pixer non-fans on the planet. The Incredibles was pretty good. A Bug's Life, and Monster's Inc. were decent. I haven't seen Ratatouille, I have no interest in seeing Wall-E and the rest of Pixar's work that hasn't been mentioned so far, I didn't care for at all.

Personally, I'd pick several Disney animated films up there, but hey, that's just me. I can understand why people like Pixar movies, tho.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not a single Makoto Shinkai film and Emperor's New Groove over Paprika?

Seriously?

WHERE THE FUCK IS MILLENNIUM ACTRESS.

EDIT: Oh my god, Antz. Antz over Paprika. What is the world coming to.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm basically like a lot of other people, if The Lion King isn't #1, I can't trust this list. I can take the substitute of The Beauty and The Beast, but this list is a travesty.

Armitage

I think you guys are placing far more importance on japanese stuff than any one else would.

Fuzz Rez said:
Ummm, where's Tonari no Totoro ? Isn't one of those titles that should always be on thses lists ?

Most people have never even heard of that film.

AniHawk

Snaku said:
So yeah, what's with the Disney circle jerk, RT? Only one Miyazaki film in the top 20? No Secret of NIMH or An American Tail in the top 20? Why isn't Akira in the top 10? Seems like the people who put this list together have an extremely narrow vision of film animation.

I love Secret of NIMH, but I always thought Land Before Time was much better than An American Tail. No annoying songs ("Somewhere out There" is great, but hearing two children sing it really hurts the ears some), better music throughout (<3 Whispering Winds), and I think it was more to the point. There were a lot of weird fades in An American Tail like it was the end of an episode or something. Land Before Time's pacing was better, even if the movie was pretty short (an hour and nine minutes).

Armitage said:
I think you guys are placing far more importance on japanese stuff than any one else would.

Most people have never even heard of that film.
You kidding me? Tonari no Totoro is only a few levels better than Henshin de Kaizen, one of the best Japanese films of ALL TIME. uncultured morons.

Jason said:
50. south park - bigger, longer & uncut
49. watership down
48. the rescuers
47. paprika
46. fantasia (2000)
45. sleeping beauty
44. tim burton's corpse bride
43. the emperor's new groove
42. lilo & stitch

41. howl's moving castle

40. cinderella
39. mulan
38. lady and the tramp
37. tazan
36. the jungle book
35. akira
34. the little mermaid
33. bambi
32. shrek 2
31. kung fu panda

30. shrek
29. a bug's life
28. the simpsons movie
27. aladdin
26. the lion king
25. princess mononoke
24. beauty and the beast
23. the triplets of belleville
22. yellow submarine
21. antz
20. monsters, inc.
19. james and the giant peach
18. wallace & gromit: the curse of the Were-rabbit
17. persepolis
16. ratatouille
15. dumbo
14. the iron giant
13. spirited away
12. 101 dalmatians
11. the incredibles
10. the nightmare before christmas
09. who framed roger rabbit?
08. chicken run
07. fantasia (1940)
06. finding nemo
05. wall-e
04. toy story
03. pinocchio
02. snow white and the seven dwarfs
01. toy story 2

I'd like to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Ponyo on the Cliff make it on this list someday.

Take those out and you already have a better list. I haven't seen James and the Giant Peach in years and years, is it really that good? It hardly even gets talked about.

Gagaman

My personal Top 50 (very rough order):

50. Brave Little Toaster
49. Ice Age
48. Memories
47. Laputa Castle in the Sky
46. fantasia (2000)
45. Metropolis
44. Corpse bride
43. Grave of the Fireflies
42. Interstella 5555
41. Howl’s Moving Castle
40. south park - bigger, longer & uncut
39. Allegro Non Troppo
38. Secret of NIMH
37. yellow submarine
36. the Jungle Book
35. Alice in Wonderland
34. Lilo & stitch
33. Beavis and Butthead Do America
32. Fantasia
31. the lion king
30. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
29. Kiki’s Delivery Service
28. When the Wind Blows
27. wallace & gromit: the curse of the Were-rabbit
26. Toy Story 2
25. ratatouille
24. 101 dalmatians
23. Whisper of the Heart
22. Akira
21. princess mononoke
20. watership down
19. Finding Nemo
18. the nightmare before Christmas
17. Tokyo Godfathers
16. monsters, inc.
15. Bambi
14. the iron giant
13. The Three Caballeros
12. spirited away
11. Castle of Cagliostro
10. Mind Game
09. lady and the tramp
08. Porco Rosso
07. Belleville Rendezvous
06. who framed roger rabbit?
05. My Neighbor Totoro
04. toy story
03. the incredibles
02. Dumbo
01. Pinocchio

* I'm not including Wall-E anywhere because I've only seen it once.
* Some are just personal nostalgia-votes, like brave little toaster and especially the three caballeros. I wouldn't claim these to be the BEST EVAR, but I love them.
* I'd probably waste a whole day tinkering with this list given the chance. Gah.

Wait what? Toy Story 2 is a good movie? Guess I'd better see that now...

Always put it down... there with the rest of the awful Disney sequels.

Danne-Danger said:
Wait what? Toy Story 2 is a good movie? Guess I'd better see that now...

Always put it down... there with the rest of the awful Disney sequels.
It was originally meant to be one of those awful Disney sequels, but at some point during the process of making it, they realized it was amazing and turned it into a theatrical release.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I can't do a Top 50, it's way too annoying to figure out if this movie should be placed 42nd and this one at 38th place. So here's my top 10:

10) The Iron Giant: I loved the 50's vibes, Bird's a genius.
9) The Lion King: Disney's Macbeth is my favorite among their golden period in the 90's.
8) Ratatouille: Should be on any top 10 list for the ENDING ALONE.
7) The Incredibles: First movie where Pixar showed me that they can do more than kiddy fare.
6) The Land Before Time: Before all the trashy sing-along cash-in sequels, there was this gem. Go Littlefoot!
5) Spirited Away: Miyazaki's most complete movie IMO. The animation, music, story is just something else.
4) My Neighbor Totoro: This movie is the best kid movie ever. I'm lucky enough to watch it with my eight and two year old sisters (what are the chances? :lol) They love it too.
3) Wall-E: Magic that told a love story between two inanimate objects better than most romantic movies. I feel sorry for people that focus in other messages and can't get that.
2) Only Yesterday: Saw this the other day again. Yes, it can be totally done in real action, but animation actually improves on reality. That's not something that can be said often or taken lightly.
1) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: Yes, shut up, I know the manga is better. Always my childhood sentimental favorite.

4 Ghibli, 3 Pixar, 1 Bluth, and 1 Disney, and 1 WB. Sounds about right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom