• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Tomatoes: Top 50 Animated Movies of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganondorfo

I know I've posted here, but where is the road to el dorado, a villain in this animated movie reminded me of a boss of shadow of the colossus.

Chicken Run in the Top Ten?!!

Then some of the best of Wallace & Gromit should be 1st by a loooonnnngggg distance....

Shit list overall, no Princess Mononke and either some of the best stuff come from Japan like Metropolis?...., and Pixar as always overrated....

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I definitely agree with the top 5, maybe not in that order, but all those movies are amazing and they all bring back great memories.

And I'm also probably the only person in this world that thought that The Incredibles was extremely overatted, I would definitely have a lot of movies above it.

Gallbaro

Banned
All this list shows is that reviewers today are pussies who are the whores of their corporate advertisers, as compared to their previous generations.

But we already knew that from every single game reviewer.

dabookerman said:
Tonari no Totoro is awesome, but I thought the mini sequel was a fuck loads better, just pure awesome.
The Kitten bus one? Did you see that in the Ghibli museum? or is there any other way to see it? I can't believe that there's more Totoro & that it's so damned hard to see.

Ya see, the problem with Rotten Tomatoes' lists are that they're based on the Tomatometer scores and not the actual quality of the movie. Which is why the list is completely invalidated, since South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut should be in the top spot.

EDIT: omg Triplets of Belville is #23? Fuck that list, fuck it haaaaaaard.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
obviously some minor issues given how they compiled the list... though frankly that list has fewer issues than many people's opinions in this thread. :lol

djkimothy said:
Wall-E ahead of Nemo?

I haven't seen Wall-E, is it really that good?

Considering that Wall-E is among my Top 3 favorite Pixar films, if not the most favorite, and Nemo being among my least favorite. I'd say YES.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i thought wall-e was much better than nemo, too. i don't dislike nemo, but i walked out of wall-e feeling like i had just watched a new classic. i was buzzing on and on for days after about what a great film it was--particularly that first hour.

Threi

notag
I love a lot of movies in that list, but HOW IN THE FUCK IS LION KING NOT #1?

OR EVEN TOP 10?

OR EVEN TOP 20?

B.S.

Another_visitor said:
The Kitten bus one? Did you see that in the Ghibli museum? or is there any other way to see it? I can't believe that there's more Totoro & that it's so damned hard to see.

Yup, Mei to Koneko basu.

It's done in 25 frames I think, and I think it is just pure fan service. It's a great short.
And yes, Studio Ghibli is the only place you can watch it.
meineko.gif

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Threi said:

OR EVEN TOP 10?

OR EVEN TOP 20?

B.S.

i fear that the entire "hakuna matata" sequence, as well as pumbaa's penchant for fart jokes, may have forced some people to dock some points

Threi said:

OR EVEN TOP 10?

OR EVEN TOP 20?

B.S.

Just saw the musical of TLK this weekend. Great stuff--interesting costume design and setpieces. Dunno if I'd make it #1 though. Some people just hate their Hamlet.

JzeroT1437 said:
Just saw the musical of TLK this weekend. Great stuff--interesting costume design and setpieces. Dunno if I'd make it #1 though. Some people just hate their Bamlet.

Fixed.

Bambi + Hamlet = Balmet

Ceres

Banned
Jason said:
29. a bug's life

21. antz

I may not like A Bug's Life at all but Antz had to be one of the worst animated films I've ever seen........ And they both were reviewed better than The Little Mermaid and Antz better than Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King????? Apparently either some reviewers are hardcore Woody Allen fanboys and/or have no souls.

And yeah, a shame Secret of Nimh doesn't have enough reviews. A favorite movie of mine growing up along with American Tale. Maybe it's time I signed up for RT.

Threi

notag
JzeroT1437 said:
Just saw the musical of TLK this weekend. Great stuff--interesting costume design and setpieces. Dunno if I'd make it #1 though. Some people just hate their Hamlet.
Lion King is more like Macbeth actually :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JzeroT1437 said:
I also don't like Grave that much. People on her say it makes them cry and talk about how "human" the whole thing is, but it wasn't altogether very impacting to me. The whole movie actually felt pretty clumsy. I think a lot of the love it gets here is correlated with the amount of Japanophiles there are on the board and their almost creepy obsession with Japanese culture.

I still wanna see a Disney list. I think they have 50+ movies that could be considered masterpieces, but I dunno. Even if they don't, it'd be neat to see.

Definitely, must be that, totally.

Also I second the lack of Brave Little Toaster. Some of the best songs in an animated film.

Also Mononoke should be higher

Threi said:
Lion King is more like Macbeth actually :p

I've always heard it was based on Hamlet.

King killed by brother. King's son spends much time in mournful contemplation and self-denial. Returns to rid kingdom of terrible ruler who murdered his father in a quasi-attempt to regain power.

There's even three buffoons (Hyenas) that follow Scar around helping him (which correlate with Laertes, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern). Nala=Ophelia. Timon and Pumbaa are mostly of Disney creation, however--they don't really gel well as being associated with Horatio on any level.

There's even a father's ghost that tells his son to avenge him in an indirect sort of way.

How's it like Macbeth? I've never heard that one.

hteng

Banned
needs more japanese anime movies

and Princess Mononoke was miyazaki's best film

and lol @ the all the films and their sequels included in the list, its kinda redundant dont you think?

JzeroT1437 said:
I've always heard it was based on Hamlet.

King killed by brother. King's son spends much time in mournful contemplation and self-denial. Returns to rid kingdom of terrible ruler who murdered his father in a quasi-attempt to regain power.

There's even three buffoons (Hyenas) that follow Scar around helping him (which correlate with Laertes, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern). Nala=Ophelia. Timon and Pumbaa are mostly of Disney creation, however--they don't really gel well as being associated with Horatio on any level.

There's even a father's ghost that tells his son to avenge him in an indirect sort of way.

How's it like Macbeth? I've never heard that one.

Yeah, the creators actually said it was based on Hamlet in the making of special features on the DVD, and I can't remember how they also likened it to Bambi (cause it's based on animals?), and they coined the term "Bamlet", which was funny.

Great pick for number one. Aladdin and Lion King were done dirty.

And no Hercules is a damn shame. Top 50 for James Woods (Hades) alone.

MIMIC

Banned
djkimothy said:
Wall-E ahead of Nemo?

I haven't seen Wall-E, is it really that good?

Absolutely not. It's good, but it doesn't touch "Finding Nemo". People love it but I think that it's incredibly overrated (IMO, people are conditioned to believe that the latest Pixar film is better than the one just before it)

And it was just brought to my attention that "The Ling King" isn't even in the top 20. :lol Now THAT'S fuckin crazy.

MIMIC said:
Absolutely not. It's good, but it doesn't touch "Finding Nemo". People love it but I think that it's incredibly overrated (IMO, people are conditioned to believe that the latest Pixar film is better than the one just before it)

And it was just brought to my attention that "The Ling King" isn't even in the top 20. :lol Now THAT'S fuckin crazy.

Nemo sucked ass. Easily Pixar's worst after Cars. WALL-E is easily top 5 material for Pixar.

Anyway, I think its pretty clear Rotten Tomatoes realised it would be a slow news week and used the ol 'deliberately shitty list that will get lots of hits' solution.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
No love for Happy Feet? I loved that movie.

Anyway, here's my personal top-30:

1 - The Lion King
2 - The Iron Giant
3 - Mononoke Hime
4 - The Incredibles
5 - Hercules
6 - Fantasia 2000
7 - Ratatouille
8 - Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
9 - Millennium Actress
10 - South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
11 - Les Triplettes de Belleville
12 - Aladdin
13 - Happy Feet
14 - Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
15 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
16 - Lilo & Stitch
17 - Shrek
18 - Finding Nemo
19 - Tonari no Totoro
20 - Metropolis
21 - An American Tail
22 - Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
23 - The Emperor's New Groove
24 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
25 - Paprika
26 - Atlantis
27 - Treasure Planet
28 - Titan AE
29 - Chicken Run
30 - Interstella 5555

Haven't seen Wall-E or Kung Fu Panda yet.

Ikael

Way too much Disney flavoured for my taste, and little non - us animation in the top 10, IMHO. Now my turn to contribute to the list war :p

1- Toy Story 2
2- Spirited away
3- Lion King
4- The Iron giant
5- Millenium actress
6- Les triplettes de Belleville
7- Beauty and the beast
8- Ratatouille
9- Memories
10- Aladdin

I fall asleep during Mononoke and Spirited Away. I know it's not just me with Mononoke--I watched it with a group of friends and by the time it was over the room looked like everyone had been fed horse tranquilizers.

They're kinda not good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think i have some broken part of my brain, because i just do not enjoy ghibli movies all that much. the art is really nice and everything, but the storytelling never grabs me.

Branduil

JzeroT1437 said:
I fall asleep during Mononoke and Spirited Away. I know it's not just me with Mononoke--I watched it with a group of friends and by the time it was over the room looked like everyone had been fed horse tranquilizers.

They're kinda not good.
You're kinda wrong.

Can somebody explain to me what makes 'Finding Nemo' so popular?

This is a serious question. I love PIXAR movies as much as the next person, but I have never been as fond of this film as much as most are. Compared to Toy Story, Monster's Inc., Incredibles, Ratatouille, and yes, even Cars, it feels a bit run-of-the-mill.

It didn't strike me as being any more memorable or any more inventive or appealing as the rest of Pixar's work. Truth be told, I only watched the film once. I've even watched 'A Bug's Life' several times, and that movie is considered their "worst".

Just what IS it about 'Nemo' that people like so much? Inform me. Did I miss something? Should I watch it again?

Yeah I was very disappointed with Nemo too. Watched it twice, at the theater (bad experience) and on DVD later.

I couldn't even get through Cars, I got bored early on and turned it off.

Haven't seen A Bug's Life in a very long time, I'm not sure how I'd rate/rank it if I were to see it today.

The rest of Pixar's films? Pure gems IMO. Hard to pick favorites.

Tritroid

toy story 2 at #1...? Seriously...? -_-

It's a nice movie...but it's in NO WAY deserving of the #1 spot. Get real.

I honestly think Wall*E may be the best animated movie I've ever seen. Its reliance on action rather than dialogue really served in connecting viewers with the character. It just felt great all the way through; it's not really a children's movie though. Children would likely react to it the same way I did to Fantasia in youth--be confused and bored by the lack of explicit narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom