• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Grand Theft Auto IV, an appreciation thread.

ElRenoRaven

Ironically I finally beat the game the other day. Had it on PS3 for years but never finished it then eventually dropped that one and got the 360 version and again hadn't finished it.

So the other week I decided to start knocking off some of my backlog and man it took me a week but I beat it. I really do love the game. GTA 3 was my favorite before it but the story in this one beats GTA 3 I think. I just can't help but like Niko, Roman, Packie, and Kate.

KingKong

I hope GTA V addresses these problems

Mission Structure - linear missions without alternative means of completing them. many invincible enemies. driving very long distances and having to do it again if you failed (fixed in the episodes). very little interactivity in the missions

consider the bank heist mission for example. you drive to location, watch a cutscene, walk 10 steps to the cash, watch cutscene and then have the fight/chase sequence. in previous GTA games, you would get to play holding people hostage, setting the explosive and getting the money

Lack of interactivity in the world - Very few clothing options or fun weapons. no fun or interactive vehicles.

Interesting locations - partially due to being set in NYC, but there were no outdoor areas, skatepark, race course, giant mountain or interesting indoor locations. there was very little reason to drive anywhere unless you had to do a mission.

Disconnect between story and gameplay - I don't understand why R* went from psycho (Tommy) or goofy (CJ) to the more depressed Niko because the story is so completely disconnected from the gameplay. The serious tone also doesn't work when I'm driving by TW@T and GetALife towers. Also the third act was very weak

technologically, the game is incredibly impressive and although they went a bit overboard with driving, it's still the most enjoyable GTA game thanks to the gameplay mechanics

Raptomex

GTA V will probably correct all the issues I had with 4

- The city overall had a bland color scheme. Just all very gray. Nothing really stood out. I kept playing with the saturation but it never seemed right.

- Character physics. Whenever you shoot an NPC and not kill them, the character will just stumble around like they're drunk and possibly fall down. RDR and MP3 have already improved this and I assume it will be brought over for V.

- Features. I love running around the city and just blasting shit and causing chaos once I complete the game 100%. But every now and then I enjoy doing a side mission. After completing IV and getting my fill of chaos for months, I realized there really isn't anything else to do.

- Better rewards. The normal reward for completing the games 100% starting from VC were unlimited ammo, better car "armor" and I believe in some games extra health or some other shit. This was nice because I could create my own weapon set and never have to worry about rebuying weapons. In VC you can hire gang members to accompany you after 100%. After all the spray tags have been completed in SA, your gang members will carry DEs and MP5s. In IV the only real thing I noticed is that your ammo cap was removed. But once you exit the game and then load it back up the ammo is back down to it's original max.

Still, the GTA series is my second favorite game series of all time behind Mario so I really can't wait for 4.

rvy

Banned
Doesn't get enough love or recognition. IV is the game I had always wanted from R*.
I loved just driving around slowly during night time, turning on the headlights, parking the car, turning them off and waiting to catch some douchebag walking around just to shoot his ass. The mafia part was my favorite.
The game is just great all around, IMO. Rockstar has been my favorite developer this gen, by far. Technology finally allowing them to have realistc takes on their franchises has been a blast for me.

Some would argue that IV isn't fun to play, there's not much mission variety, but The Ballad of Gay Tony fixes these "issues".

One of my favorite games this generation.

Wish they would return to Vice City with V, but I guess not.

Xellos

I started a new game earlier this year to attempt 100% (only played the story missions back in 2008), and I'm just blown away by the attention to detail that went into Liberty City. The only other open-world game that even comes close is Red Dead. Can't wait to see GTA V.

I love how every time I go back to GTA IV I find something new or hear a new commercial on the radio, it’s amazing how much content is in this game. Funny how I hated it at first but am in love with it now, I’m proud to say rockstar have captured the essence of my home:)

It took the atmosphere of the city for me to realize I love this game. Can't wait for 5.

These guys also contribute to me visiting LC on a regular basis:

RSRcommander.jpg

e8c03d3b51b987aa9f00a7afe9142fc9.jpg

RSRdick.jpg

DodgerSan

GTA race with a bunch of mates is some of the most fun I've had online. We've certainly laughed more than anything else I can think of.

Duriii

These guys also contribute to me visiting LC on a regular basis:

http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/images/b/bb/RSRcommander.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://youtomb.mit.edu/thumbnail/YouTube/A/a/Aa2Iy34aUhc/e8c03d3b51b987aa9f00a7afe9142fc9.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/images/1/15/RSRdick.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

For democracy, and liberty!!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0YyrtvLroY&feature=related[/url]

But seriously, those pics reminded me of how huge this game is, and it's seen on so many levels. Not only does it have lively city with hundreds of different behaviors from NPC's, but also has 16 radiostations with hosts, couple TV-channels, made-up brands seen everywhere (most of the vehicles got a producer and model put on the back of it's trunk, which is rarely seen for unlicensed vehicles in games, there's usually just a name of it) and not to mention a frickin internet with couple hundred websites... Of course those element's were seen in many games (probably not all of them at once), but it's one of the only times, where it's made with such an attention to detail and on that scale. Fascinating...

That was the best part! "I don't want to do this anymore cousin. I came here to live a peaceful life." *Goes on killing spree*.

That was my biggest problem as well. I think this could have been fixed if instead of the fresh-off-the-boat angle, they gave us an opening montage of Nico spending year or so (maybe 5) of trying to work his way up, only to have himself, but mostly Roman, beaten down several times (figuratively, and perhaps literally) until finally Nico decides to revisit some of his old ways, and then start the game at a similar point to where the actual game starts. The game could then focus on Roman and Nico's different approaches, and the tension created therein.

I also liked the Pulp Fiction style suggestion early this thread.

iNvid02

i tried to replay it but couldnt, niko just feels like he's carrying a bag full of invisible bricks

just felt totally wrong after playing so many other open world games

shame

An-Det

GTA 4 is truly a fantastic game. My most hyped going into this generation, it easily met my expectations. I need to get around to playing it again, last time was last spring, 50 hours between core and Episodes, which really showed creativity on top of the main game. Gay Tony in particular was a highlight of the three, so good.

One thing I wish was implemented was custom soundtracks. This iteration really needed it. The soundtrack is great but really sub-par compared to VC and SA. Listening to whatever you wanted in such a fully realized world as Liberty City is would've done fucking wonders.

I picked up the entire collection over the weekend and started continuing the ending of the vanilla. I've played Lost & Damned numerous times and love every second of it, but I never got to experience Gay Tony......and that sounded weird.

Ive realized that GTAIV, since its release, is really a game I get an urge to play annually. There's only been a small handful of games that have had that effect on me this gen. This is probably the third or fourth time Ive owned a copy and it's like every time I buy it, its like buying a plane ticket to the richest and most realistic alternate city world I've ever experienced and taking a two to three week trip each time.

They actually did add this (custom soundtrack) into the PC release for GTA4 and the Episodes, it was amazing. Put the mp3 into a folder in My Documents and it's automatically scanned in the next time you run the game. I'd love to see it built into the console version of 5 though.

TheDanger

Banned
Awesome game, I enjoyed Vice City and San Andreas more though.

The extensions are really good too, ballad of gay tony is better than the main game IMO.

If you don't want to play GTA IV, try Episodes of Liberty City (that's Lost And The Damned and Balllad Of Gay Tony). You don't even need the main game to play the extensions.

After you get the hang of it, the driving is fantastic.

Shame though that there are no planes, tanks and other fun vehicles, hopefully they will all return in GTA V which is still lost in the dark. ;(

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Easily one of the few console games this gen I've poured thousands of hours into. And then Gay Tony came out and those hours multiplied like crazy. My only beef with IV is the sluggish and overly realistic on-foot movement controls.

My favorite SP game this gen. I'm so ready for GTAV. I loved RDR but something about GTAIV edges RDR out for me even though RDR has more content.

I swear I think I take more cab rides around, looking out the window and listening to music than I do any other activity in this game. I ask the cabbie to tune into the Journey station and I just lose myself staring at everything going on outside. Where RDR nails it in the organic, nature aspect of its environment and atmosphere, this really pounds modern day society, or at least society in the early to mid 2000s, which is why I find it a bit more enjoyable than Redemption.

Monocle

My favorite thing about this game is the way you can walk into people and they fall down. For best results, do this on a stairway. Careening into pedestrians in a fast vehicle is equally amusing.

Aside from GTAIV's character physics, I find that I prefer Saint's Row: The Third in every way. It recaptures and surpasses GTA: San Andreas' madcap fun factor.

Dabanton

From the GTAV trailer R* seems to have brought together the bustling cityscapes of GTA:IV and the desert and forest lands of RDR.

Best of both worlds tbh.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
If I buy the Liberty City stories (The Lost & Gay Tony) can I still play the regular MP that GTA4 has?
(sorry using wii ATM)

Dabanton

My favorite thing about this game is the way you can walk into people and they fall down. For best results, do this on a stairway. Careening into pedestrians in a fast vehicle is equally amusing.

Aside from the character physics, I find that I prefer Saint's Row: The Third in every way.

Not to turn it into that kind of thread but I ran out of steam with SR3 pretty quickly my main problem serious bullet sponge enemies. It's just not fun to fight or kill people in this game.

Especially when waves of them arrive one after another sometimes up to 9 times. I wonder who thought that would be a good mechanic?

And when those big guys turn up and the guys in the helicopters with snipers. Well annoyance ahoy. The enemies are also dumb as shit which makes killing them even more pointless. apart from that dressing up my character and jumping from buildings is fun but the base game is garbage.

The fact your weapons don't really feel meaty enough just adds to the nonsense of things.

Dabanton

If I buy the Liberty City stories (The Lost & Gay Tony) can I still play the regular MP that GTA4 has?
(sorry using wii ATM)

No all three games have different MP servers. Yeah that was a dumb ass move by R* basically spilt their audiences.

If if's anything like the 360 versions, Lost and Dammed MP is dead.

Vanilla GTA:IV and Gay Tony are always busy mostly in Race,Deathmatch and freeroam.

daviyoung

Banned
Not to turn it into that kind of thread but I ran out of steam with SR3 pretty quickly my main problem serious bullet sponge enemies. It's just not fun to fight or kill people in this game.

SR3 had things built into story progress that other games would reserve for cheat codes. By the end of the game your character was basically on God mode with dual-machine guns with unlimited ammo. You were an indestructible killing machine. SR3 is ridiculous, cheap fun but still an empty imitation: like a uPhone, or Reebor sneakers.

God I love Lost & Damned. That alone I find more entertaining story and character-wise than vanilla IV. It's like the perfect white trash biker-indie film open world. The bike control is phenomenal and I find the animations during cutscenes and even while moving ten to be a little bit better than with Niko. Plus, PIPE BOMBS!

Plus wasn't it the first game to have a fully nude male in a cutscene, penis swinging about and all?

Marleyman

Banned
No all three games have different MP servers. Yeah that was a dumb ass move by R* basically spilt their audiences.

If if's anything like the 360 versions, Lost and Dammed MP is dead.

Vanilla GTA:IV and Gay Tony are always busy mostly in Race,Deathmatch and freeroam.

That is my main fault with the MP; made no sense to split everything up.

Marleyman

Banned
I swear I think I take more cab rides around, looking out the window and listening to music than I do any other activity in this game. I ask the cabbie to tune into the Journey station and I just lose myself staring at everything going on outside. Where RDR nails it in the organic, nature aspect of its environment and atmosphere, this really pounds modern day society, or at least society in the early to mid 2000s, which is why I find it a bit more enjoyable than Redemption.

LOVED taking cab rides and jamming out to different stations. Riding around NYC at night and listening to Vladivostok FM(the electro/dance version) is still amazing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Especially when waves of them arrive one after another sometimes up to 9 times. I wonder who thought that would be a good mechanic?

And when those big guys turn up and the guys in the helicopters with snipers. Well annoyance ahoy. The enemies are also dumb as shit which makes killing them even more pointless. apart from that dressing up my character and jumping from buildings is fun but the base game is garbage.

The fact your weapons don't really feel meaty enough just adds to the nonsense of things.

I came here to post about this. I was hankering for an open-world game so went out and got SR3 a few weeks back, and I am shocked at how much it sucks, really really shocked. After playing GTA4, everything about it feels cheap and flimsy and shitty. The cars, the weapons, controls, the city itself...

Liberty City is not just alive, it's lived in. The incredibly subtle touches, like how the roads aren't exactly flat, they curve a little bit. Every alleyway being filled with detritus and weeds and crap. People complain that GTA4 has nothing to do in the city, but they're coming at it from the wrong angle. For me, it's enough to simply drive around in the city, explore all the nooks and crannies.

I love how the episodes flesh out the city too, and you end up going to these incredibly complex locations that the main story misses out entirely. And there are more still beyond that even. It's a work of art.

I'm playing through tLaD again right now and it's a pleasure.

Multiplayer is still fun too, I like how free-roam is basically just an asshole assassin sim. Pick a player, stalk them, chase them, kill them. Rinse repeat.

PowderedToast

the mission design is just so poor. rockstar always get a free pass on that, though.

and as the depiction of the city get's more realistic and accurate it really draws attention to the lack of meaningful interaction your avatar has. you're forced to become a spectator unless you want to kill. it's good, but i want more.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
the mission design is just so poor. rockstar always get a free pass on that, though.

and as the depiction of the city get's more realistic and accurate it really draws attention to the lack of meaningful interaction your avatar has. you're forced to become a spectator unless you want to kill. it's good, but i want more.

Yeah, the mission design in 4 was terrible. It was completely against the sandbox nature of the game 95% of the time.

Marleyman

Banned

I didn't like how some of the missions made you do pre-determined things before you could proceed, like how you couldn't kill a guy on a bike until a cutscene. However, there were other missions that let you finish guys however you wanted.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, the mission design in 4 was terrible. It was completely against the sandbox nature of the game 95% of the time.

There were really only 2 types of missions. Chase some bro in a scripted chase that you usually could not end early until he gets to his spot (that sometimes has about 15 other guys) and go to ____ and gun down 100 people.

Which wouldn't have been as big a problem if there weren't 90 something missions in the game. But I definitely missed San Andreas' creativity in the missions.

Marleyman

Banned
There were really only 2 types of missions. Chase some bro in a scripted chase that you usually could not end early until he gets to his spot (that sometimes has about 15 other guys) and go to ____ and gun down 100 people.

Which wouldn't have been as big a problem if there weren't 90 something missions in the game. But I definitely missed San Andreas' creativity in the missions.

Eh, there was variety; just not the crazy variety there was in SA. The kidnapping mission with Gracie or the mission where you kill Bernie's "hater" are different. Just a few that popped in my head.

Derrick01

Banned
Eh, there was variety; just not the crazy variety there was in SA. The kidnapping mission with Gracie or the mission where you kill Bernie's "hater" are different. Just a few that popped in my head.

That mission in the park? That was a chase mission, just on foot and then vehicle. Gracie was nothing special it was just driving with her screwing with the car. Not much different than trying to drive drunk in the game, and then halfway through you knock her out and it's a normal drive to the waypoint.

Marleyman

Banned
That mission in the park? That was a chase mission, just on foot and then vehicle. Gracie was nothing special it was just driving with her screwing with the car. Not much different than trying to drive drunk in the game, and then halfway through you knock her out and it's a normal drive to the waypoint.

They are different missions though; you said there were only 2 types of missions. Those are just off the top of my head having not played vanilla GTA IV SP in awhile.

They are different missions though; you said there were only 2 types of missions. Those are just off the top of my head having not played vanilla GTA IV SP in awhile.

How bout Three Leaf Clover (the bank heist), the mission where you have to pose as a lawyer and basically all of the Elizabeta missions? Such classics. The one where you're delivering the black market organs always stood out to me.

I completed all of the Most Wanted side missions over the weekend and had a blast. 30 felons going down took less time than expected.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The thing is the majority of missions fell into two things: Chase or shootout ending with a police getaway. The problem with this is GTAIV scripted the game to hell and the chases did not allow you to use player creativity to beat the mission. A lot of the vehicles were invincible, and if you somehow outsmarted the game then you just got flung at the wall until some cinematic moment happened and they suddenly were able to be shot. Or they safely got to the area the game wanted you to be at, so a shootout could occur.

In old GTAs? It didn't matter if the person tried to get away in a car, I could snipe their tires and easily catch up. Maybe I had a rocket and ended it right there. Or hell, on replays I could block the entire road they drive up to with a stack of vehicles. In 4? They laughed at the thought of this. Vehicles you placed got erased in load times, if you snipe a tire then the car(while SHOOTING SPARKS) still maintains the same exact speed and angle until the game stops scripting the car.

Top Bottom