• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Grand Theft Auto IV, an appreciation thread.

I am so sick of the false dichotomy that people either "like the serious tone" or "want jet packs and explosive dildos," and that if you don't like GTAIV, it's because you fall into that second group... and so you should just play Saints Row 3.

I am largely on the anti-GTAIV crowd because I loved San Andreas so much, and I also loved Red Dead Redemption. While I missed a lot of the things taken out of GTA:SA in IV, like largely any interaction with the world (GTAIV is one giant set piece with barely any interaction with the player; also despite painstaking creation of the world, entire areas are just empty and useless), the obsessive over-structuring of missions in GTAIV (eliminating the ability to complete a mission in a variety of ways), and compelling narrative.

I think GTAIV has an incredibly weak narrative, one that falls apart by the midpoint of the game. The big reveal of why you're brought to the United States, or who you're looking to get revenge on, is a let down -- I think you solve that like, what, 60% of the way through the story? And then, you're supposed to go hunt down someone else. The big reveal with your... brother... or whoever... who cares? He's a meaningless character that you chauffer around for four missions, and he's out. And then, you make a choice of which "emotional" character you want to die at the end in an incredibly predictable, completely structured choice.

All of this, of course, is underscored in that Rockstar just took features out of GTA:SA that people had come to love by explaining it away saying "would an immigrant really [do this]?" Some immigrant bent on revenge is as likely to ride a bike in Liberty City as he is like to steal a helicoptor or go on a helicoptor tour or go bowling; In fact, he is MORE likely to ride a bike, but Rockstar took it out and then put a phony justification behind it.

The big absence, though, is that there is absolutely no reward for exploration. Not only is the world devoid of any ability to interact with it in any meaningful way, but even superficial exploratory things like packages are replaced with pigeons, which would be fine, except if you fire a gun anywhere in liberty city, or even punch a pigeon, then the police come after you and you have to spend ~45 seconds evading police and avoiding your exploration. It wasn't hard to evade police, but if you want to explore the world for the sake of exploring -- a major component of both Vice City and San Andreas, that was encouraged in both -- you couldn't do that.

The game was a let down for me. I do think, though, that the Lost & The Damned was a major improvement, mostly because of the much tighter narrative. I'm still amped for GTAV.

I also do wish I had a PC that could adequately run a beautiful GTA4. I went back to play it on 360 a few months ago and was so put off by the ugly visuals, after playing RDR, that I just turned it off.

Marleyman

Banned
The thing is the majority of missions fell into two things: Chase or shootout ending with a police getaway. The problem with this is GTAIV scripted the game to hell and the chases did not allow you to use player creativity to beat the mission. A lot of the vehicles were invincible, and if you somehow outsmarted the game then you just got flung at the wall until some cinematic moment happened and they suddenly were able to be shot. Or they safely got to the area the game wanted you to be at, so a shootout could occur.

In old GTAs? It didn't matter if the person tried to get away in a car, I could snipe their tires and easily catch up. Maybe I had a rocket and ended it right there. Or hell, on replays I could block the entire road they drive up to with a stack of vehicles. In 4? They laughed at the thought of this. Vehicles you placed got erased in load times, if you snipe a tire then the car(while SHOOTING SPARKS) still maintains the same exact speed and angle until the game stops scripting the car.

That didn't happen 100% of the time, which was a strange design choice. I remember missions where you could choose how you take a car out and the scripting wouldn't matter; others it would.

Marleyman

Banned
I am so sick of the false dichotomy that people either "like the serious tone" or "want jet packs and explosive dildos," and that if you don't like GTAIV, it's because you fall into that second group... and so you should just play Saints Row 3.

I don't see that being expressed in this thread, although it has in the past. People can not like GTA IV for many reasons; the people who don't like GTA IV specifically because of the lack of zany things happening though need to play the game for what it is. They can stratch that other itch with Just Cause 2 and SR3.

GQman2121

Banned
I really hope the default settings for the online modes are better organized. The auto-aim and constant blips on the radar break the game to no end. And that's a real shame because GTA IV is unbelievable online with the right settings. A full game of Car Jack City with four teams is one of this generations great accomplishments.

Derrick01

Banned
How bout Three Leaf Clover (the bank heist)

Gunning down a million people. Nothing different, there was just more enemies than the usual mission.

the mission where you have to pose as a lawyer

You wear a suit and gun down 100 people. Nothing different.

and basically all of the Elizabeta missions? Such classics. The one where you're delivering the black market organs always stood out to me.

Pretty sure that one is just driving to the waypoint. Hard to remember each of the individual ones they all kind of blend together. All of the missions are shoot or drive here. Yeah sometimes you wear a suit and sometimes someone grabs your steering wheel, but it's still the same thing. That's not a big enough difference.

Infiltrating Area 51 and jetpacking out was different. Yeah you still shoot 50 guys, but you're at least doing different stuff in between that.

Tawpgun

Anyone else playing on the 360? Does the game seem to look worse than you remember it? Like, everything is super fuzzy.

What's weird is, the game looks better when you're playing Gay Tony.

Anyway, I started playing GTA Freemode again which was my favorite part of the game.

Entire City, Auto Aim off, Friendly Fire ON, Cops Off. It turns into this player vs player awesomeness. People would spontaneously form alliances with other players. Some would go rogue. Some would act like police. I even had people who just liked to drive and just offered transportation to people.

Back in the day my friends and I got really good at the game, we would stock up on weapons, and a helo pilot would drop us off on rooftops and we would snipe people fighting below. The goal was to piss off some people, or a crew, so they would come after us. We had an insane knowledge of the city, where all the good holdout spots were, every enterable building... We would holdout and always win.

Other option of Friendly fire off, Cops on. I'd partake in one of these events.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2wqYXjcxE&feature=plcp (awesome trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcicusr4So&feature=related (Had moments like this all the time)

Enco

Brilliant game.

The physics are amazing and online is very fun. Such a detailed world to enjoy.

Missed a lot of awesome things from San Andreas though (e.g. fun planes, fun cheats, fun items such as jetpacks and fun mini games)

Marleyman

Banned
Infiltrating Area 51 and jetpacking out was different. Yeah you still shoot 50 guys, but you're at least doing different stuff in between that.

It was different but that type of mission would be out of place in GTA IV. You are ALWAYS going to be shooting at something, for the most part, in any mission in an open world game.

Man this game was terrible. I keep getting it in my head that I'm going to finish it, but it takes about 5 minutes after loading it up to realize how horrible of an idea that is.

Derrick01

Banned
It was different but that type of mission would be out of place in GTA IV. You are ALWAYS going to be shooting at something, for the most part, in any mission in an open world game.

Right. The goal is to make it interesting in some way, not just give us 95 basic missions for the whole game.

UrbanRats

Right. The goal is to make it interesting in some way, not just give us 95 basic missions for the whole game.

I always thought that the solution to that issue (R* pacing problems) to be quite simple.

Give me a shorter, tighter story arc (30 or so missions) and keep the rest of the activities/missions as extra stuff i can do before, during or after, the story is complete.

Take Red Dead Redemption for example: The Mexico segment,
the part where the majority of the people began to feel that R* fatigue, could've TOTALLY been cut from the John Marston story arc, and pasted AFTER IT, for Jack to do; you could've had an interesting, personal additional story for Jack and, at the same time, not pissing out the pace in John's journey.

Same goes for GTA.
Instead of bouncing me from one character to the next, give me a precise story arc and leave all the other characters as extra parallel storylines i can do whenever i want, maybe even letting me choose a side (do i side with the Italian Mafia or the Yakuza? Or screw them both over?).
They also need a gimmick, like they had in GTA Vice City with the proprieties and in GTA SA with.. everything, so you don't feel like a damn tourist all the way through, but actually have a "dialogue" with the city.

Tawpgun

But holy shit.

Modders have taken over online. There's a bunch of mafias/crews/gangs/families AKA clans rolling around and they all seem to have their token modder.

Also, I wonder how multiple playable characters would be like in the campaign. Kind of like a CoD route where you play as different factions. Perhaps in the end there's a big player decision over what faction you side with.

UrbanRats

But holy shit.

Modders have taken over online. There's a bunch of mafias/crews/gangs/families AKA clans rolling around and they all seem to have their token modder.

Also, I wonder how multiple playable characters would be like in the campaign. Kind of like a CoD route where you play as different factions. Perhaps in the end there's a big player decision over what faction you side with.

One of the rumors had GTAV with multiple protagonists, so maybe we'll see.

Draconian

I don't see that being expressed in this thread, although it has in the past. People can not like GTA IV for many reasons; the people who don't like GTA IV specifically because of the lack of zany things happening though need to play the game for what it is. They can stratch that other itch with Just Cause 2 and SR3.

You mean a game that lacks many of the features San Andreas had? No thanks. Tbh though, I've found just about all of Rockstar's games this gen to be boring. Even RDR was disappointing.

Muffdraul

I am largely on the anti-GTAIV crowd because I loved San Andreas so much, and I also loved Red Dead Redemption. While I missed a lot of the things taken out of GTA:SA in IV, like largely any interaction with the world (GTAIV is one giant set piece with barely any interaction with the player; also despite painstaking creation of the world, entire areas are just empty and useless),

Sorry, but you are a perfect example of why I find it so difficult to take "GTA IV hate" seriously. More often than not, the criticism boils down to "I wanted San Andreas 2 and they failed to deliver." I've never been able to relate to that because frankly SA has always been my least favorite of the series (outside of 1 and 2, which I've only dabbled in for a few minutes apiece.) I liked it a lot when I first played it. But when I go back to replay it, I always get bored about halfway through because it's just so damn bloated. It's TOO BIG. Before anyone says "Well duh, of course replaying a game you already played is boring"-- I am a replay FIEND. I replay almost everything, usually multiple times. God only knows how many times I've played through III, Vice City and IV from beginning to end. I just can't do it with SA. Not the whole way through, anyway. Most of the so called "fun activities" I tend to ignore. I can see the point that Rockstar took some steps backward by cutting out features and content that were in SA. But I find that to be offset by the vast improvement in creating a "living, breathing world" in IV. The PS2 era GTAs feel like "LEGO Grand Theft Auto" in comparison to me. Re: the disparity between "world interaction" between IV and SA, I see it as being in IV's favor. I welcomed a return to tighter focus a la III and VC.

bigace33

Such an incredible game from a technical perspective. I really enjoyed the first half of the game, but it started to really drag as I pushed on toward the finish. Even with that it was still an extremely well made game. After playing the two expansions I can really appreciate the story and characters from GTA 4. I kind of wish they would have kept the lore from the earlier GTA games. Like, it would have been nice to see Tommy Verceti as a protagonist in one of the newer games, or to see CJ in the game.

Derrick01

Banned
You mean a game that lacks many of the features San Andreas had? No thanks. Tbh though, I've found just about all of Rockstar's games this gen to be boring. Even RDR was disappointing.

Same. And yet for some reason I'm excited for GTA 5. I guess part of me wants to hope that they'll ignore their last 3 crap games and bring back the crazy that made them popular last generation. Saints Row tries but they can't do what Rockstar did.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
IV got so bad with the story filler. You had ridiculous amounts of money after the bank heist, and the ONLY motive Niko had for working after that was to get more, acting like he was dirt poor. It was mindnumbingly stupid.

Muffdraul

IV got so bad with the story filler. You had ridiculous amounts of money after the bank heist, and the ONLY motive Niko had for working after that was to get more, acting like he was dirt poor. It was mindnumbingly stupid.

Actually, after that point in the game, virtually all of Niko's missions come down to A) people who ask him for favors and he wants to help them out of friendship, e.g. the McCrearys and Bernie B) people who force him to work against his will e.g. UL Paper and Frankie the dirty cop, and C) people who promise that if he works for them, they'll help him find the person he's looking for, i.e. pretty much all of the Mafia guys.

There were two things that pissed me off about GTA IV. This was one of them. Carrying 500,000$ with nothing to spend it on (save for the occasional body armor), while everyone bitches about needing money.

Actually, after that point in the game, virtually all of Niko's missions come down to A) people who ask him for favors and he wants to help them out of friendship, e.g. the McCrearys and Bernie B) people who force him to work against his will e.g. UL Paper and C) people who promise that if he works for them, they'll help him find the person he's looking for, all of the Mafia guys.
My memory's bad then, I guess. I remember characters still bitching about money after amassing a ton of it.

The other thing that pissed me off, was the whole flying rats thing. Double the amount of hidden packages, with no rewards except the attack helicopter after collecting all 200. Would have been nice to have more rewards or a real motivation.

Other than that, I thought GTA IV was awesome, the most memorable thing about it being the driving. It was weird at first, but after a bit of trial and error, it became so damned fun to just drive around the city and screw about. I really hope it doesn't change for GTA V.

Tawpgun

Put me in the camp that loves GTA's and rockstars more serious tone. LOVED it.

Saints Row scratched the insane free roam itch more than enough.

UrbanRats

Same. And yet for some reason I'm excited for GTA 5. I guess part of me wants to hope that they'll ignore their last 3 crap games and bring back the crazy that made them popular last generation. Saints Row tries but they can't do what Rockstar did.

They won't.
Unless what you enjoy is the bitching about it part, i wouldn't get my hopes up.
The teaser trailer was pretty clear in that it had the serious tone of the last R* games (which is fine by me) and nothing seriously crazy.
I think IT WILL be more packed with stuff than GTA4, because that's a complain everyone has been bringing up, but it'll never be as batshit insane as San Andreas.

Horns

Sometimes I feel all alone, but this thread makes me feel loved. GTA IV is my #1 game this generation. I beat it on every platform. It was an amazing game.

As much of a fan as I am there were some flaws in the game that I expect Rockstar to address in GTA V. I look at GTA IV like I look at GTA III in retrospect. III was a solid game last generation, but VC and SA were only possible based on III and improvements to the core game. I'm expecting the same type of leap with GTA V. IV was the starting point and all those little tweaks and improvements that we loved in SA and VC will come and then some.

I should really play through IV again. As soon as we get some information about when GTA V is coming I'll plan my next play through of GTA IV. I've finished it at least 5 times...I've honestly lost count.

Well I was speaking to this point from the OP, like second paragraph/line:

"It seems like GTA IV is a real love/hate game here on GAF. Many people dislike the more serious tone, missing the days of jetpacks and tank rampages, whereas others were put off by the hyperbolic reviews claiming the narrative was "Oscar worthy" etc etc."

My problem is not with the lack of zany things, because I don't think that riding a bike or flying an airplane is that zany anyway (at least no more than bowling or flying a helicoptor), but more or less, the lack of interaction with the world around the character.

Gunning down a million people. Nothing different, there was just more enemies than the usual mission.

The mission was tense as fuck and a great ode to Heat. If you didnt cheat, being able to properly take out all of those cops (using free aim, mind you) was fun and tough as hell. It was a lengthy mission: running through the alleys, streets, subways and finally making it to the escape vehicle and then having to lose whatever was on you. You also ended up with a cool quarter million at the end of it which is the largest in game payload. You really have no worries about purchases after this mission. Yes you gun down a bunch of guys, but it stands out.

You wear a suit and gun down 100 people. Nothing different.

I found it to be. The mission is somewhat early on when (if you arent playing like a complete sociopath) you don't have much money yet. You gotta do some brief research via Tw@ to find out who the attorney is. Then you need to schedule the interview and wait for a callback, all the while scraping up the cash to buy a decent looking suit. Now if you havent been beating the shit out of people and stealing their money and all that crap, then youll find at this point youd actually have to earn it. The gun battle that ensues after your "interview" was awesome.

Pretty sure that one is just driving to the waypoint.

It was the subject matter at the time for me. Human organ trafficking was never touched on in a GTA game before, let alone any game I had ever played up until that point. It was just pretty twisted. The simplicity of it alone makes it memorable.

Hard to remember each of the individual ones they all kind of blend together. All of the missions are shoot or drive here. Yeah sometimes you wear a suit and sometimes someone grabs your steering wheel, but it's still the same thing. That's not a big enough difference.

The whole game itself is an evolution of GTAIII's sandbox gameplay without all of the bells and whistles that followed with Vice City and San Andreas. You watch: GTAV will have all that extra shit you've been craving for, or at least some of it, especially if Gay Tony is anything to go by from my understanding.

I loved GTAIV while playing, but after I finished the campaign the lack of stuff to have fun with in relation to San Andreas kind of soured me on the game. No business / property owning, no car customization, very little minigames, no side jobs, etc., etc. That plus the HORRIBLE so very bad shooting controls makes it difficult to go back. I love the city, I love Euphoria, I love the detail, but that's about it.

The expansions kind of improved mission variety, but they're still tame compared to what San Andreas had CJ doing, and most of the best stuff like hanging on trucks, stealing train cars, etc .etc. wasn't even possible outside the missions. I also think the traditional health system took something away from the experience when you'd oftentimes be at mercy to the physics system making you flail around losing health with every bump. Regenerating health would do wonders for GTAV. It was so much more fun exploring in RDR not having to worry about buying health or vests. Basically, if you weren't admiring the tech of the city, there wasn't much to do post-story. That wasn't the case with San Andreas. And yes San Andreas will always be the measuring stick because that's how games in a series work. I'm sure Rockstar knows this and we'll see a ton of stuff back for GTAV.

Derrick01

Banned
The whole game itself is an evolution of GTAIII's sandbox gameplay without all of the bells and whistles that followed with Vice City and San Andreas. You watch: GTAV will have all that extra shit you've been craving for, or at least some of it, especially if Gay Tony is anything to go by from my understanding.

That is my sincere hope my friend. I would love nothing more than San Andreas 2. They can make the cutscenes as serious as they want as long as I can bail out of a plane and smack an alien in the face with a dildo while I'm parachuting
or something like that. You guys get my picture

I have no idea where this whole idea of this game having a more serious tone came from in the first place. Nothing in this game seemed to be any more serious than other GTA games. They removed the extra silly stuff, they didn't make a more serious game. They just made a more bland game.

Marleyman

Banned
I have no idea where this whole idea of this game having a more serious tone came from in the first place. Nothing in this game seemed to be any more serious than other GTA games. They removed the extra silly stuff, they didn't make a more serious game. They just made a more bland game.

It was a game that started you out as an immigrant..first one that I can recall to do so. I was really into the story because of my Serbian background, so the whole backstory about why Niko was there and who he was looking for resonated with me.

it started out good but by the time Roman's taxi shop blew up, it began getting old, and by the time you get to the final island, I was completely tired of the main story. I snapped and shot Brucie. I think the NPCs and everything weren't as interesting as other games. Nico was an interesting character although his motivations always didn't make sense, but I didn't like the main story of GTA4 at all. SA was a long game but you kept meeting all of these really colorful character to do increasingly harder and varied missions. In GTA4, Packie was alright, but nobody else was as cool as the homeboys from SA, or Mike Toreno or The Truth.

But yeah, I totally agree GTA4=GTA3 and GTA5 = VC/SA, the next game will be a nice evolution.

Muffdraul

I found it to be. The mission is somewhat early on when (if you arent playing like a complete sociopath) you don't have much money yet. You gotta do some brief research via Tw@ to find out who the attorney is. Then you need to schedule the interview and wait for a callback, all the while scraping up the cash to buy a decent looking suit. Now if you havent been beating the shit out of people and stealing their money and all that crap, then youll find at this point youd actually have to earn it. The gun battle that ensues after your "interview" was awesome.

And that's one of the missions that allows you a bit of old fashioned GTA freedom- if you knife the guy instead of shoot him, nobody is alerted and you can just quietly walk out, mission complete. Same with the first strip club manager in the mission where you have to take the club back for Dwayne.

Later on there are some missions where, if you've unlocked the ability, you can use car bombs to take out fleeing targets rather than have to chase them down. I agree that the overly scripted missions suck with temporarily bullet-proof cars and immortal occupants, but there's still some good stuff in there to be found if you look for it.

burnfout

What a great OP, love the work you put into it.

I absolutely love this game, I will replay it over the summer to prepare for GTAV.

Hope the serieus tone stays the same for GTAV, except maybe with some more stuff added in to spent my money on.

And that's one of the missions that allows you a bit of old fashioned GTA freedom- if you knife the guy instead of shoot him, nobody is alerted and you can just quietly walk out, mission complete. Same with the first strip club manager in the mission where you have to take the club back for Dwayne.

Later on there are some missions where, if you've unlocked the ability, you can use car bombs to take out fleeing targets rather than have to chase them down. I agree that the overly scripted missions suck with temporarily bullet-proof cars and immortal occupants, but there's still some good stuff in there to be found if you look for it.

Never even knew you could do that! Very cool. I've unlocked the car bombs, but I've never used them before...

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I was one of few people who actually didn't mind the vehicle handling in this game.
Driving is fine. Flying helicopters sucks.

Oh, and one thing I need to find a mod for... removing bromances. Hated those.

I absolutely adored the story in GTA4. I really got into it. The one thing I hated about the game was the lack of character in the game world. Lack of side activities. Constant cell phone calls.

And the multiplayer. Why was all the sandbox elements removed from the multiplayer game? It infuriated me at the time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been tempted to pick up GTA IV... I've never really played a Grand Theft Auto title other than just some casual messing around. But then, I wonder if I should just wait for GTA V rather than potentially burn out on it in case that's significantly better.

Derrick01

Banned
I absolutely adored the story in GTA4. I really got into it. The one thing I hated about the game was the lack of character in the game world. Lack of side activities. Constant cell phone calls.

And the multiplayer. Why was all the sandbox elements removed from the multiplayer game? It infuriated me at the time.

I can't tell you how many times me and the friends wanted to get into free roam but there's just nothing to do. What little there was in the main game they took away and all you're left with is the euphoria physics pretty much. It's tough to remain entertained after an hour or so.

I can't tell you how many times me and the friends wanted to get into free roam but there's just nothing to do. What little there was in the main game they took away and all you're left with is the euphoria physics pretty much. It's tough to remain entertained after an hour or so.

Exactly. My best friend and I dreamed for years for a multiplayer GTA game. Then there was nothing to do. No content.

GTA4 was the first GTA game I ever stopped playing immediately after the credits.

Top Bottom