• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked stages/characters from Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale [Updated]

Spinluck

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but someone on the Official PSABR forums shopped up a main menu. Overall it's pretty plain, and cookie cutter-ish, but I really like the font that's used. :p

EDIT: I can see the background scrolling with silhouettes of the characters being a nice touch.

original

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No they are,it still would not reach the 30+ number if we did include them.

Then you'd see my point that minions does not equal environmental character, since they are not included in the minion list, even though they are clearly included in the beta.

Loudninja

Then you'd see my point that minions does not equal environmental character, since they are not included in the minion list, even though they are clearly included in the beta.
Captain qwark is on their.

I dont know.Its still so much we don't know,damn this game may have a vast amount of characters.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but someone on the Official PSABR forums shopped up a main menu. Overall it's pretty plain, and cookie cutter-ish, but I really like the font that's used. :p

EDIT: I can see the background scrolling with silhouettes of the characters being a nice touch.

original

For second I thought we had a Crash confirmation. Dammit...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Captain qwark is on their.

I dont know,its still so much we don't know,damn this game may have quite a vast amount of characters.

Yeah, but doesn't the whole one per playable character, plus the missing characters that aren't on the minion list disprove that explination. Even if there happens to be 3 places where it works (Murray, Quark, and Keira) that doesn't really prove anything since we have no reason to assume those characters can't be both environmental characters and "minions" separately.

Loudninja

Yeah, but doesn't the whole one per playable character, plus the missing characters that aren't on the minion list disprove that explination. Even if there happens to be 3 places where it works (Murray, Quark, and Keira) that doesn't really prove anything since we have no reason to assume those characters can't be both environmental characters and "minions".
Very true man.

I think no matter how we look at to we goign to see alto of characters both playable and non playable.

Metal B

original

This would a really boring design ...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Very true man.

I think no matter how we look at to we goign to see alto of characters both playable and non playable.

Yeah that's true. It also means we have to see Snow in this game, if Lightning is in it.

original

Thats a boring menu lol. I hope they don't use blue too much, it needs to be busy and colorful.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Not too happy with the roster to be honest. Neither Raziel or Alundra made it :^(

HiiiLife

Sir Dan is definitely the most pleasant reveal for me IMO. Just waiting for the "actual" list of characters.

When I say actual I mean I'm too stubborn to believe that Crash isn't in this game :/

Ran rp

Q8) Will there by any unlockable characters or is everyone made available from the beginning?
A8) Yes, a good portion of the roster is unlocked throughout the game. SuperBot has made it fun do do.

Bahahah, what a typo.

Q25) Is there any specific PSP or PS Vita presence in the game?
A25) As part of PlayStation history, yes.

I hate how this question includes the PSP. It should have been PS Vita only so we could guess who is in.
Kat

PSY・S;40469255 said:
I hate how this question includes the PSP. It should have been PS Vita only so we could guess who is in.
Kat

I still believe Kat is in the game. They want to celebrate all the playstation platforms and gameplay of Kat existed for over a year now so they would have had plenty of time to work her in this game. I could be wrong but she is too good of a character to pass up.

I can't wait to play as Sir Dan. Its going to be boss.

Looking forward to what they do with the UI and music. It needs to be spot on. Nothing bland.

I still believe Kat is in the game. They want to celebrate all the playstation platforms and gameplay of Kat existed for over a year now so they would have had plenty of time to work her in this game. I could be wrong but she is too good of a character to pass up.

Folks say Kat can't be in because she's too new to the scene, but if NT's Dante and Columbia can make it in then that's no excuse.

Ran rp

original

Looks like a mobile/flash game menu.

.la1n

We must all hold out hope for Kat, It's not like they are exactly sticking to the original idea we all had of "iconic older PS characters" so hell why not.

Ran rp

We must all hold out hope for Kat, It's not like they are exactly sticking to the original idea we all had of "iconic older PS characters" so hell why not.

"Q24) Are any of the characters in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale from a game yet to come out?
A24) I don’t want to break any of my rules, but I’ll say that this game embodies Sony PlayStation’s past, present, and future."

I hope it's not just the DmC and MGR characters though. Where you at, Kat!

jondabomb

PSY・S;40472223 said:
"Q24) Are any of the characters in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale from a game yet to come out?
A24) I don’t want to break any of my rules, but I’ll say that this game embodies Sony PlayStation’s past, present, and future."

I hope it's not just the DmC and MGR characters though. Where you at, Kat!

I wouldn't get your hopes up, most likely talking about raiden and dante. I do think theres a pretty good chance kat gets in as dlc though.

I've mulled over the leak some more last night and these are my thoughts:

I'm still hoping the leak isn't real. I just don't want Raiden in the game over Snake or Big Boss, and I definitely DO NOT WANT Dino in the game over someone else who deserves a spot. Dino being in the game is a shameless cash in.

Also Evil Cole is saddening, because I was hoping that we wouldn't see any clone characters until at least the second game :\ I understand he will have a different moveset, I love the inFAMOUS games and I know how different evil Cole is to good Cole, but I'd rather just have ONE Cole and use the spot for someone who deserves it.

A lot of other people have expressed complaints in regards to the roster overall, that there's too many brooding human characters.. so far we're looking at 6 human characters and 6 cartoony/non human characters. I consider Big Daddy a non-human type character because he's a ridiculous amalgamation of stuff to make him a living weapon. I think if they maintain that balance of cartoony and or non human characters to human types, everyone will be happy.

If the stages are real, I love the stages, I really do. The only gripe I have is the Columbia stage, which I've pointed out before, makes no sense and is an obvious cash in. We have Big Daddy being represented by a stage from a game he isn't even a part of. I mean, out of all the choices of a third party stage, we get Columbia. If this leak is real, we know of 14 stages and all of them are awesome except that Columbia stage IMO. All the rest of them make sense but that one.

I'm really curious how future characters will play, like if Sackboy is similar to Kirby and steals other character's powers - I think we can all agree this is the only build that makes sense for him.

Also in regards to the Paul Gale Q&A:

Only two dozen items? I know SSB had only 17 items, so in comparison we're actually getting more but still; I keep comparing the stuff we're seeing to SSBB's amount of content, which is actually not fair when I think about it ._. We've seen about 11 items so far in events and trailers? So I guess we do have a lot of stuff coming.

Lastly, the amount of modes is pretty impressive if this is true. Free roam?! I really want to see how that works out. Paul Gale mentioned a mode popularized by shooters - the one that popped into my head first was the horde type mode. This is where friends cooperatively fight off waves of enemies, I mean it's typically similar to survival but hopefully if they have something like that, they know how to spice it up.

Wrapping up, I really hope this leak isn't real but lots of things are pointing to yes. If it wasn't for Dino and Raiden, I would love this leak. I'd much rather have Big Boss or Snake and Dino shouldn't have taken the place over someone like Crash or Spyro :\

Drencrom

I'm still hoping the leak isn't real. I just don't want Raiden in the game over Snake or Big Boss, and I definitely DO NOT WANT Dino in the game over someone else who deserves a spot. Dino being in the game is a shameless cash in.

Also Evil Cole is saddening, because I was hoping that we wouldn't see any clone characters until at least the second game : I understand he will have a different moveset, I love the inFAMOUS games and I know how different evil Cole is to good Cole, but I'd rather just have ONE Cole and use the spot for someone who deserves it.

A lot of other people have expressed complaints in regards to the roster overall, that there's too many brooding human characters.. so far we're looking at 6 human characters and 6 cartoony/non human characters. I consider Big Daddy a non-human type character because he's a ridiculous amalgamation of stuff to make him a living weapon. I think if they maintain that balance of cartoony and or non human characters to human types, everyone will be happy.

If the stages are real, I love the stages, I really do. The only gripe I have is the Columbia stage, which I've pointed out before, makes no sense and is an obvious cash in. We have Big Daddy being represented by a stage from a game he isn't even a part of. I mean, out of all the choices of a third party stage, we get Columbia. If this leak is real, we know of 14 stages and all of them are awesome except that Columbia stage IMO. All the rest of them make sense but that one.

I'm really curious how future characters will play, like if Sackboy is similar to Kirby and steals other character's powers - I think we can all agree this is the only build that makes sense for him.

Only two dozen items? I know SSB had only 17 items, so in comparison we're actually getting more but still; I keep comparing the stuff we're seeing to SSBB's amount of content, which is actually not fair when I think about it ._. We've seen about 11 items so far in events and trailers? So I guess we do have a lot of stuff coming.

Lastly, the amount of modes is pretty impressive if this is true. Free roam?! I really want to see how that works out. Paul Gale mentioned a mode popularized by shooters - the one that popped into my head first was the horde type mode. This is where friends cooperatively fight off waves of enemies, I mean it's typically similar to survival but hopefully if they have something like that, they know how to spice it up.

Wrapping up, I really hope this leak isn't real but lots of things are pointing to yes. If it wasn't for Dino and Raiden, I would love this leak. I'd much rather have Big Boss or Snake and Dino shouldn't have taken the place over someone like Crash or Spyro :

Agree with everything you said.

evolution

I'm over the roster list now, the beta is so fun I just wanna play with the remaining characters. I'd honestly rather have a game with all kinds of 3rd party characters than it be tied down to one platform anyways.

k_Reign

Okay, so, again I ask, why does Columbia have to be a "cash-in"? Who cares if the game hasn't come out yet? Maybe Superbot decided that they wanted it in because it's an absolutely kickass environment, and as we can see from the image, it is probably going to make an absolutely kickass stage. I feel the same way about Raiden over Snake, assuming Snake isn't in (from a gameplay perspective). And that's what it's all about: the gameplay. I think the few people here that are complaining about "hasn't come out yet" need to just have fun with it and stop worrying over stupid things that may spoil some of the fun you have with the game if you let them.

J-Tier

Okay, so, again I ask, why does Columbia have to be a "cash-in"? Who cares if the game hasn't come out yet? Maybe Superbot decided that they wanted it in because it's an absolutely kickass environment, and as we can see from the image, it is probably going to make an absolutely kickass stage. I feel the same way about Raiden over Snake, assuming Snake isn't in (from a gameplay perspective). And that's what it's all about: the gameplay. I think the few people here that are complaining about "hasn't come out yet" need to just have fun with it and stop worrying over stupid things that may spoil some of the fun you have with the game if you let them.

Right. We have to remember that Ken Levine was totally behind this game.

And the thing about Rapture...in Big Daddy's level 3, when the screen gets filled with water, the stage props and background (of EVERY stage) transforms into a "Rapture" form of the stage. You'll notice Omar talking about this in one of the post-E3 interviews.

ReaperXL7

*Snip*

Yep I agree with this , and since the response has been the expected "we don't respond to rumors" makes me think there probably is not any good news coming in reguards to the complaints.

At this point I have taken my pre-orders off my copies of the game, if there is a demo and it turns out good I may still buy it, at this point though I don't have any drive to make the purchase.

btkadams

Also Evil Cole is saddening, because I was hoping that we wouldn't see any clone characters until at least the second game :\ I understand he will have a different moveset, I love the inFAMOUS games and I know how different evil Cole is to good Cole, but I'd rather just have ONE Cole and use the spot for someone who deserves it.

Wrapping up, I really hope this leak isn't real but lots of things are pointing to yes. If it wasn't for Dino and Raiden, I would love this leak. I'd much rather have Big Boss or Snake and Dino shouldn't have taken the place over someone like Crash or Spyro :\
i thought it was pretty obvious that gale's fps multiplayer mode hint picture pointed to capture the flag, since he was standing in front of a flag. capture the flag would make sense with the ability to pick up things in this game too.

i agree with most of your stuff, but i beleive the leak is real. the columbia stage is such an obvious cash-in, which is a shame, but it actually looks like a really cool level too. so, at least we are getting a cool level that's a cash-in, rather than a lame level that's a cash-in.

k_Reign

Yep I agree with this , and since the response has been the expected "we don't respond to rumors" makes me think there probably is not any good news coming in reguards to the complaints.

At this point I have taken my pre-orders off my copies of the game, if there is a demo and it turns out good I may still buy it, at this point though I don't have any drive to make the purchase.

I definitely think that you should try to give the game a shot when you can. This game seems to be a lot deeper than a lot of people are giving it credit for and discounting the entire game because of a few characters that you don't like is silly.

Gibbles17

Roster is a bit disappointing, not very stoked on the third party offerings; as others have said it reads more like marketing than a celebration of PS history. Was holding out for someone from KH but there was no way, hopefully we do get an SE character though, even if it's Lightning. The first party characters seem solid, Sir Daniel was unexpected but is a rad choice. Likely absence of Crash is depressing as hell.

Out of curiosity, for those enjoying the beta, does the game play more like Melee or Brawl? Are the controls solid?

k_Reign

Roster is a bit disappointing, not very stoked on the third party offerings; as others have said it reads more like marketing than a celebration of PS history. Was holding out for someone from KH but there was no way, hopefully we do get an SE character though, even if it's Lightning. The first party characters seem solid, Sir Daniel was unexpected but is a rad choice. Likely absence of Crash is depressing as hell.

Out of curiosity, for those enjoying the beta, does the game play more like Melee or Brawl? Are the controls solid?

Neither. They really don't play extremely similarly at all. The controls are absolutely solid. The gameplay takes a bit of getting used to because naturally you are comparing to SSB for a bit but once you get used to it, man does it play well. Like, really well. Just don't go in expecting it to play like SSB and be disappointed when it doesn't. It's a totally different game and it's very, very good.

jondabomb

Doesn't really feel like smash at all. Theres a lot more moves for each character which leads to more strategy/combos, but the main difference I feel is the pace. The beta only has 3 minute free for all matches so everyone is going nuts trying to get ap

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Doesn't really feel like smash at all. Theres a lot more moves for each character which leads to more strategy/combos, but the main difference I feel is the pace. The beta only has 3 minute free for all matches so everyone is going nuts trying to get ap

I just played Brawl last night since my friends asked me to.. It took me awhile to get used to brawl again because I felt that brawl was slow and too floaty right after played Sony Battle Royale.

I realized that Sony was a lot of fun because of it's speed and how fast the battle became hectic when it come to free for all. I definitely will buy game at first day and all dlc easily.

I think it is possible that Sony Battle Royale might be Smash Killer. :p

I just played Brawl last night since my friends asked me to.. It took me awhile to get used to brawl again because I felt that brawl was slow and too floaty right after played Sony Battle Royale.

I realized that Sony was a lot of fun because of it's speed and how fast the battle became hectic when it come to free for all. I definitely will buy game at first day and all dlc easily.

I think it is possible that Sony Battle Royale might be Smash Killer. :p

I prefer Melee to Brawl for the same reason - for me, movements in Brawl feel slower, floatier, and generally less responsive. Good to hear that this is more on the speedy/snappy side of Melee's controls.

It's a cash in because Big Daddy isn't even from that game. Rather, it solidifies Big Daddy as a cash in. I was trying to keep my mouth shut after Superbot said "Hey, he's a cool character, we wanted him in the game." I said, ok ok, I'll give him a shot. Now that they're shoving the new Bioshock down our throats with that stage, all hope that they're not taking cash in characters is gone. Dino and Raiden solidify that.

Characters like Crash, Spyro, Big Boss or Old Snake that make TOTAL sense for this game are forgotten to help promote MGS Revengeance and DmC.

I'm sure the Columbia stage will be cool and all, I just can't shake the nagging feeling that this game could easily become a cross promotion machine, like my worries when Big Daddy was revealed originally were.

J-Tier

It's a cash in because Big Daddy isn't even from that game. Rather, it solidifies Big Daddy as a cash in. I was trying to keep my mouth shut after Superbot said "Hey, he's a cool character, we wanted him in the game." I said, ok ok, I'll give him a shot. Now that they're shoving the new Bioshock down our throats with that stage, all hope that they're not taking cash in characters is gone. Dino and Raiden solidify that.

Characters like Crash, Spyro, Big Boss or Old Snake that make TOTAL sense for this game are forgotten to help promote MGS Revengeance and DmC.

I'm sure the Columbia stage will be cool and all, I just can't shake the nagging feeling that this game could easily become a cross promotion machine, like my worries when Big Daddy was revealed originally were.

I'm kinda tired of the "cash-in" complaint, you gotta remember that this is all third party. In regards to Big Daddy and Columbia, Ken Levine came on board and actually wanted these things put in. And no, those characters aren't forgotten. On almost every website about this game, there are hundreds of mentions about Crash and Spyro. I highly doubt Superbot is ignorant to this.

IF those characters don't make it in the game, then it's clear who's at fault. Crash is currently owned by Activision for example. What if Superbot approached them and Activision decided to charge an impossible price?

Top Bottom