• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Microsoft bought Techland

VAVA Mk2

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

PhaseJump

Banned
How Japan laws works about that? I think an outsider company can’t buy a Japan company.

Edit - Seems like you can but there are limitations and special cases (companies) you can’t.
Microsoft employs people there and they're a trillion dollar company.

They can afford to buy someone in Japan and make the government happy. Interference or protectionism would only harm their own position in the global economy.

Your line of thinking or the argument brought up with the questioning is naive and stupid, and constantly repeated by people who don't know how the world works, or just shit posting fanboys who side with Nintendo & Sony in shit-flinging console warrior nonsense.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Honestly I just want Dying Light 2 to release (/ anything with Dead Island vibes) , so whatever it takes to make that happen, I'm happy.

Andodalf

Banned
Still think they did/will.

Find it hard to believe that one month there is a $4B asset is up for sale. The next month, out of the blue, they just don't feel like selling it anymore (while still remaining heavily in debt).

The studios were next to worthless without the I.P. Rights Which WB refuse to sell. If they sold the studios they’d need to find somebody else to make the games. So the studios are worth more to them than to anyone else. They’ll keep them unless they have a strong deal for the I.P. Lined up.

And what, you think they just lied on investor calls about taking it off the market and secretly sold it but didn’t tell anyone? Thats not how being a publicly traded company works

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I doubt it. Why would MS buy a studio that has been in development hell + amongst terrible accusations?

You want well-oiled, well-established studios to purchase that would give you games without giving you all the troubles that usually come with it.

Would make sense for me. I don’t think they will buy a Japanese studio, i live in Japan and know the how Japanese think (including my wife), if a studio would would only make games for an American company and not for the Japanese one, it will loose its face in Japan. The same reason why Microsoft will never have a chance to compete here with Sony. Japanese people want to support Japanese companies.

Fredrik

They should try finding a third person game dev too, feels like they’ll soon have every first person dev there is.

Congrats if true. They fought hard for it and they have a strong enough track record to prove it. Keep on making good things happen Microsoft.
We talking tech land who has one ok to good game and the sequel to it that they can’t even get out that tech land lol.

onesvenus

If Microsoft buy Japan Studio.... This will me make have a heart attack

Would make sense for me. I don’t think they will buy a Japanese studio, i live in Japan and know the how Japanese think (including my wife), if a studio would would only make games for an American company and not for the Japanese one, it will loose its face in Japan. The same reason why Microsoft will never have a chance to compete here with Sony. Japanese people want to support Japanese companies.
I have some bad news for you. Microsoft owns Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks

Starfield

I seriously doubt it. Embracer Group are on a buying spree lately...but maybe...thats how they were able to afford all these aqusitions

Why?
Xbox needs more Japanese support.
That would be nice, but it’s definitely a risk imo. The problem is, the market for Japanese game’s is very small on Xbox and the Japanese companies will have a much smaller audience to sell their games to while missing out on Sony and Nintendo’s user base most likely. Yeah, Microsoft could fund some development and games, but will it be worth it to them when they probably won’t be making much, if anything in return?

Last edited:

Mmnow

That would be nice, but it’s definitely a risk imo. The problem is, the market for Japanese game’s is very small on Xbox and the Japanese companies will have a much smaller audience to sell their games to while missing out on Sony and Nintendo’s user base most likely. Yeah, Microsoft could fund some development and games, but will it be worth it to them when they probably won’t be making much, if anything in return?
Asia is the growing market for cloud gaming, but that doesn't matter if you're just gonna try to sell them the same games they didn't care about when consoles were the growing market.

Microsoft need Japanese games quickly, and at high quality. This is the thing people miss out on when they say franchises like Persona and Yakuza would die if Sega get bought out.

Top Bottom