• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

NeoGIF

Hmm Washington Post seems to think it's going to be OUT by the end of next month?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...e4a27a-a057-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html

"Gamers, get your wallets ready. According to reports from The Verge and Microsoft-centric blogger Paul Thurrott, Microsoft is gearing up to release its next-generation Xbox by the end of next month."

By the end of next month?!

Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Can someone here explain why they ever thought the Xbox 720 would have BC?

We have known it's going to be x86 for a while now. How in the world would it have BC?

Well there is no real point in having a Microsoft account if there is no BC. Other then transferring your games from your broken 360 to a new one.

Pikma

Banned
I mentioned this in another thread, it would be insane for them to force always-online DRM and then lock all online features behind a pay wall - I definitely think online multiplayer/netflix etc will be free on the Durango, they'll probably push a lot of freebies and value to counter the DRM negativity.

It's Micro$oft we're talking about here, so I wouldn't be so sure about it, haha.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm Washington Post seems to think it's going to be OUT by the end of next month?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...e4a27a-a057-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html

"Gamers, get your wallets ready. According to reports from The Verge and Microsoft-centric blogger Paul Thurrott, Microsoft is gearing up to release its next-generation Xbox by the end of next month."
I'm pretty sure he (Edit : By which I mean Thurrott) meant they're going to reveal it next month. I remeber there being confusion about this earlier in this thread.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Zinthar

Well considering the people/reports he quoted said no such thing, this is a clear case of misreading basic information. Console will be announced next month, not released.

Very possible that it was a typo and they meant "unveil", or that the author was thinking along the lines of "release information to the public about it."

Or they're too used to phone/gadget releases that come within weeks of the unveil.

Not having a choice != gladly.

???

No one is forcing you to sign that contract. There are PLENTY of cheaper options out there if you don't want a contract and don't mind paying full price for your phone.

People are glad because they save $450 day one and are frankly ignorant of other lower cost options that are out there for their monthly service.

jorma

is now taking requests
Am I the only one that's fine with this?

I buy 3-4 titles a year. I don't buy used games. Ever.
I always want to play online, always have internet.
I am all for the move to home entertainment (streaming, cable and games all in one).
If they convince me enough to take my dollars from Apple and Roku, then +1 MS for a true entertainment system + getting my games on with the same thing.

I honestly don't think you should be fine with it. I'm not saying that you must be against it to the point where you just wont buy it, but you should certainly be against it in principle. There might be several reasons to relase the console with native always-on drm, but none of those reasons benefit you as a consumer. All the things it might do to you as a consumer are negative things.
They really should try to make you want to be always on if they need you to be online that badly, but they should not force you.

So you really should be against it.

BigDug13

Can someone here explain why they ever thought the Xbox 720 would have BC?

We have known it's going to be x86 for a while now. How in the world would it have BC?

Having BC better ensures brand loyalty. Now that I know absolutely nothing I purchased on my 360 will do anything for me on the next Xbox, there is nothing tying me to that platform. Microsoft really had an opportunity to grab people who already have crap purchased on their Xbox live accounts. Now there is nothing to hold customers other than console features.

If I could have put my rock band 3 disc into the next one and played all the music I bought, I might have been inclined to stay with Microsoft. Now they have nothing to hold me so if their feature set doesn't please me, I'm jumping ship.

Having BC better ensures brand loyalty. Now that I know absolutely nothing I purchased on my 360 will do anything for me on the next Xbox, there is nothing tying me to that platform. Microsoft really had an opportunity to grab people who already have crap purchased on their Xbox live accounts. Now there is nothing to hold customers other than console features.

If I could have put my rock band 3 disc into the next one and played all the music I bought, I might have been inclined to stay with Microsoft. Now they have nothing to hold me so if their feature set doesn't please me, I'm jumping ship.

Absolutely.

Wii U has BC (as do all Nintendo handhelds), and on PC most of what you buy will work for quite a few years to come with some tweaks and editing.. Durango and PS4 have a real 'fool me once, shame on you' feel right now. I have a massive backlog of digital delivery titles, and if both Sony and Microsoft want to tell me 'fuck you', then why shouldn't I leave?

I guess with PS3 Sony taught Microsoft that BC doesn't matter. They can go have their party, but I don't feel like coming. *shrug*

If Microsoft wants to emulate Sony on this BC abandonment, fuck em. I can't trade my digital library in, I should at least be able to play it.

Sponge

Banned
It's looking like there's no way you'll even get me to touch this unless Microsoft somehow resurrects the good 'ol Rare we knew and loved back from the dead.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am literally always online when I game so this wouldn't affect me. I suspect this has to do with the subscription. People are being dramatic. I don't see it negatively to be honest. Whether I'm playing PC, PS3 or 360 I'm online.

As others have probably said before. Your connection is not always the issue. My internet wasn't out during the Sim City or Diablo 3 launches. I couldn't play with 100% certainty. The problem was on the other end. I highly doubt the system as rumored will out of the goodness of its heart let you play your game if it cant talk to the server. That would be too easily fooled if that was the case.

quickwhips

The fact is, I enjoy games for 3-6 months. Rarely will I play a game for longer than that, and usually only because DLC has come out. I am not a minority either.
though it seems I am a minority on GAF

If, years down the road, the servers are shut down and I cannot play. Darn. I'm sure there will be better things down the road. I am not necessarily completely for this model, just that it wouldn't be a huge negative to convince me to purchase a PS4. I know quite a few people who would agree with me, but just aren't as vocal about it. I don't trade in games, I don't borrow games from friends. If I like a game, I support the developers.

I agree with you.

Dave Long

Banned
All the information about this system and PS4 pretty much confirms the WiiU is my next generation machine already right beside the personal computer.

$500 is just too much. I also don't want to get locked in for two years at $300. Sorry, Microsoft.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Common sense suggests that with the current leaked specs, it would not be an expensive system to produce. They could easily make a profit at $500. The question is how much does Kinect 2.0 cost to build?

Which brings up another question. I can buy a 4GB X360S with Kinect bundle for $300, or the sensor alone for $110. How much would Kinect 2.0 cost to make? Isn't most of the processing going to be done within the console, like the current Kinect? It can't cost a bundle to make, can it?

All the information about this system and PS4 pretty much confirms the WiiU is my next generation machine already right beside the personal computer.

$500 is just too much. I also don't want to get locked in for two years at $300. Sorry, Microsoft.

My next generation machine is the 3DS. That and the PS3 are gonna have to hold me over for a while.

Why does it need that? Shouldn't the Durango itself be powerful enough to do all that by itself?

Or is there something else at play?

Absolutely.

Wii U has BC (as do all Nintendo handhelds), and on PC most of what you buy will work for quite a few years to come with some tweaks and editing.. Durango and PS4 have a real 'fool me once, shame on you' feel right now. I have a massive backlog of digital delivery titles, and if both Sony and Microsoft want to tell me 'fuck you', then why shouldn't I leave?

I guess with PS3 Sony taught Microsoft that BC doesn't matter. They can go have their party, but I don't feel like coming. *shrug*

If Microsoft wants to emulate Sony on this BC abandonment, fuck em. I can't trade my digital library in, I should at least be able to play it.

If only you had some way to play that digital library...

Oh, just play it on the machine you bought it on!

steveovig

Fuck everything, I'm sticking with old stuff except for the U and that's only because I already bought the thing. I don't want to spend $500 on anything right now and I don't want to be tied to some service for x amount of time just to get some dinky discount. I don't even think Live should exist since Nintendo and Sony aren't charging for online games or Netflix or Halo Waypoint! These games makers are alienating me and I'm not sure I care, at this point. I'll keep my SNES, Wii U, and PS3 fired up for free.

BigDug13

The beauty of a PC is that even if your PC is currently barely better than a PS3 in power, you can still run the newest games at low settings while those console owners have to make a choice to make the jump. So basically on PC, you can survive through a part of the next gen's games running them at PS3-quality graphics, then once you get enough to upgrade, those same games will look even better.

No matter what, there's a way to make the PC game run smoothly. It might not look good, it might not even be considered high def by the time you get done tweaking it, but you CAN get it to run smoothly. I remember changing Doom to the super-pixelated "low def" setting on my 460 DX33 to make it run. It looked like PURE GARBAGE, but it was buttery smooth in motion and I could make out my opponents in multiplayer to take them out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why does it need that? Shouldn't the Durango itself be powerful enough to do all that by itself?

Or is there something else at play?
It should be, but power spent processing Kinect data is power not spent processing the rest of the game.

Kinect was originally supposed to have a processing chip built in until it ended up too expensive and they had to ditch that idea. I assume it's quite thirsty too, and Kinect 2.0 is probably even thirstier.

imjust1n

Banned
Remember what type of forum you're on people
You're on a gaming forum. The next Xbox is going to be geared for casual consumers.

I'm a hardcore gamer which means I love gaming to the point where it surrounds me daily. The ps4 is going to be the gaming console to buy the next Xbox will be what my mom buys so she can get hbogo and watch her comcast on demand. The wiiu will be what my grandmother gets my little cousin for Xmas. Then you have the everything gamer, the gamer who will buy everything and anything which I'll be honest it seems I follow that footsteps. Then the dedicated hardcore console gamer who just has a pc or just is gonna get the next Xbox because he/she can't live without halo.

Hey if you like it who cares what happens future is future will Nintendo survive... Probably not, will Sony win the 8th generation race maybe who knows. Will you get really mad at Microsoft because it makes you keep the Internet that you're using right now always on yep you will.

I honestly am excited for anything and don't give a shit if you live in Wyoming and still have dial up or if you only like one thing or you don't agree. Shut up play you're video games go to work and worry about more important stuff in this world than stupid shit :)

Remember what type of forum you're on people
You're on a gaming forum. The next Xbox is going to be geared for casual consumers.

I'm a hardcore gamer which means I love gaming to the point where it surrounds me daily. The ps4 is going to be the gaming console to buy the next Xbox will be what my mom buys so she can get hbogo and watch her comcast on demand. The wiiu will be what my grandmother gets my little cousin for Xmas. Then you have the everything gamer, the gamer who will buy everything and anything which I'll be honest it seems I follow that footsteps. Then the dedicated hardcore console gamer who just has a pc or just is gonna get the next Xbox because he/she can't live without halo.

Hey if you like it who cares what happens future is future will Nintendo survive... Probably not, will Sony win the 8th generation race maybe who knows. Will you get really mad at Microsoft because it makes you keep the Internet that you're using right now always on yep you will.

I honestly am excited for anything and don't give a shit if you live in Wyoming and still have dial up or if you only like one thing or you don't agree. Shut up play you're video games go to work and worry about more important stuff in this world than stupid shit :)

You do realize the next xbox will have any new GTA that is made, will have the next Call of Duty, will have the new NBA 2K and Fifa games, will have Halo, Forza, Destiny, Watch Dogs, will have Battlefield 4 and Witcher 3, and any new Elder Scrolls titles, new Metal Gear and likely Final Fantasy games, and a whole host of other games, right?

The next Xbox is also very much a gamer's console. It might just also be a whole lot more than that, and I don't see what's so bad about this.

Alx

If we're going by the rumors, they will target "casual gamers" through their cheap $99 360 console.
The "fact" that they're making an expensive console is a sign that they're not only focused on casual gamers, because you don't need that much horsepower for light entertainment.

MasLegio

Banned
If we're going by the rumors, they will target "casual gamers" through their cheap $99 360 console.
The "fact" that they're making an expensive console is a sign that they're not only focused on casual gamers, because you don't need that much horsepower for light entertainment.

high tech casuals would pay 300-500 usd for something like the next xbox

imjust1n

Banned
You do realize the next xbox will have any new GTA that is made, will have the next Call of Duty, will have the new NBA 2K and Fifa games, will have Halo, Forza, Destiny, Watch Dogs, will have Battlefield 4 and Witcher 3, and any new Elder Scrolls titles, new Metal Gear and likely Final Fantasy games, and a whole host of other games, right?

The next Xbox is also very much a gamer's console. It might just also be a whole lot more than that, and I don't see what's so bad about this.

I'm sure you're right. But Microsoft wants to think more so saying it's going to be the system that my mom buys is not downing it my mom is a gamer as well she's not like bigg on it she will play so having everything in one is not a bad thing in fact it will replace my Xbox 360 which I game on here and there but mostly I use it for comcast and Netflix and talk to my friends. I'm saying ps4 is showing up for indie AAA titles and streamers it looks like the best bet. They also haven't show anything yet so who knows. Things can change we will find out may 21st

imjust1n

Banned
I also don't think a $300 console with a two-year contract will appeal to anyone but broke hardcore gamers.

I worked at target when the ps3 came out. I had just regular people buy the ps3 because of the blu ray player for 600..... People will buy..... Ifff you show them it's worth 600. At the time there was no blu rays and blu rays made your brand new HD TV play new movies flawlessly in beautiful colors. If Microsoft shows that this thing is going to deliver everything for 299$ with a 14$ monthly sub for 2 years you bet my mom would buy it and get rid of cable and be dancing with the kinetic with dance central lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They aren't going to market a $500 console to casual gamers.
And why not?

Any new console is immediately marketed as the "it" item to have in the fall to Christmas season and beyond. Having that sort of reputation and standing is exactly what console makers want. And it's important to establish that early and continue that in subsequent marketing.

$500 is pretty high, but if the product is good enough, it shouldn't matter because the craze builds itself. Cue interview at a Wal-mart with some mom having difficulty describing why she just bought this new console but being ecstatic that she did.

Saying they wouldn't market it to the broad audience is questionable in itself.

I also don't think a $300 console with a two-year contract will appeal to anyone but broke hardcore gamers.

Why do people have to be broke to consider a $300 next gen console with a two year contract?

I'm sure you're right. But Microsoft wants to think more so saying it's going to be the system that my mom buys is not downing it my mom is a gamer as well she's not like bigg on it she will play so having everything in one is not a bad thing in fact it will replace my Xbox 360 which I game on here and there but mostly I use it for comcast and Netflix and talk to my friends. I'm saying ps4 is showing up for indie AAA titles and streamers it looks like the best bet. They also haven't show anything yet so who knows. Things can change we will find out may 21st

Expect plenty of indie devs to have very nice things to say about the next xbox also. It's just we're only hearing from the ones that are favoring Sony's approach and not excited by Microsoft's.

p3tran

Banned
As others have mentioned, next Xbox is not powerful to do this. Remember that the 360 was pretty advanced for console tech when it came out in 2005 -- with a beefy GPU that, to my knowledge, was the first mass-market graphics chip to feature unified shaders (it actually had as much raw shading power as high-end single-GPU PC cards of its release date). The 8800 GTX came out 11 months later as the first PC card to use them, and its performance completely dominated the PC market for the next year.

Durango is running a low-power CPU. Jaguar's predecessor, Bobcat, which has half as many cores and probably slightly worse efficiency per clock, scores a 27 in SysMark 2012. If you assume perfect efficiency gains in doubling the cores (which is unreleastically optimistic in games), you'd get a 54. Hell, bump it to 60 or 70 for the architecture gains. That's less than half the performance of an Intel i3-3220 (an Ivy Bridge dual-core w/ hyperthreading), which scores 145. There will be another generation of CPU advancement that comes out before Durango, putting it even lower down the rung.

More importantly, Durango is packing what, at 1.2 TFLOPS, would charitably be considered a mid-range GPU... from last year -- although it will fall further behind by the time it actually comes out, and will probably be roughly the same as whatever AMD PC card is priced at $99, except that Durango will have the ESRAM to help somewhat.

Relative to the 360 at its time of release, Durango will be fairly weak hardware tech by the time it hits stores. Safe to say that there's no chance in hell that Jaguar can handle software emulation of Xenon.

if these unconfirmed specs are close to true, good luck to gamers that choose this h/w as their primary gaming box and feed it with money for 5-8 years...

btw I still refuse to believe microsoft can be this amount of stupid.
but am preparing for humongous laughs just in case things turn out to be this way :)

imjust1n

Banned
Cue interview at a Wal-mart with some mom having difficulty describing why she just bought this new console but being ecstatic that she did.

Exactly, it's all about advertising. Us on these forums don't watch them but my mom does. If she's gonna buy something for her living room she will spend 500... Ifff it was shown that's it is worth that

GavinGT

Banned
And why not?

Any new console is immediately marketed as the "it" item to have in the fall to Christmas season and beyond. Having that sort of reputation and standing is exactly what console makers want. And it's important to establish that early and continue that in subsequent marketing.

$500 is pretty high, but if the product is good enough, it shouldn't matter because the craze builds itself. Cue interview at a Wal-mart with some mom having difficulty describing why she just bought this new console but being ecstatic that she did.

Saying they wouldn't market it to such a broad audience is questionable in itself.

Because they have finite marketing and development resources. Those resources would be largely wasted trying to cater to the casual crowd because they're far less likely to want to drop $500 on a game console. Trying to cater to everyone at launch would mean pleasing nobody. With 360, they had no trouble shifting focus even late in the generation, so I don't think that establishing themselves early with casual gamers is a necessity.

Why do people have to be broke to consider a $300 next gen console with a two year contract?

Because if you're not broke you'd just pay the $500 up front and not get ripped off by a subscription plan. Also, if we're talking about casual gamers, that's a lot of money for someone that doesn't care much for games. $200 has historically been the sweet spot for casual gamers.

Jay Sosa

Okay let me summarize:

can't play even physical copies if I'm not online
no used games
Kinect

aaaaand it's expensive?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Man I should really buy Sony stocks.

Love the 99$ 360 idea though, too bad I already have one.

Top Bottom